Skoda is Coming to Gran Turismo 7, Vision GT Car to be Revealed Next Week

• Thread starter Famine
  • 333 comments
I'm 99% certain that tweet is meant to indicate the 1100 OHC is coming. Skoda have already put out a tweet that confirms there is more than one Skoda coming.

Personally, I don't think I'd buy the VGT, but I'd definitely buy the 1100 OHC.
Don't read too much into it before the official reveal. My theory is the VGT is a tribute to the 1100 OHC. Hoping to be wrong, but still...

The 1100 OHC as a car is one where I sort of just go "okay, that's cool I guess". If it does come, the more exciting part for me would be the demo event(s) tied to it - the '50s/'60s race car roster in the game is actually really robust, but after you do the Alsace Human Comedy mission there's not really anything much you can do with those currently.

I'm not sure why the news of an entire new brand (from an entire new country) coming to GT is being treated as poo-worthy, but it sure does make a lot of people look stupid, entitled gatekeepers. I'd expect that of Facebook/Twitter/YouTube comments, but GTPlanet users?

I get not liking VGT cars. Most of them suck to drive - not that you're required to, as the only VGT events are Bonus Menus and not part of game progress - and a lot are not great to look at. The fact they're running to a formula of all-wheel drive, electric. 700hp+ is almost irrelevant as that's what brands are making in the real world now too.

But this whole "VGT sucks" attitude is mad. Skoda hasn't been in GT before (except its logo, on the GT6 Goodwood Hillclimb). Clearly someone at Skoda (maybe a young designer, brought up on games; this happens a lot) has got through to marketing about the VGT project - which a lot of car designers take really rather seriously - and that's opened up channels between Skoda PR and GT Explore that didn't previously exist.

That increases the possibility of Skoda as a brand coming to GT in a much wider form (like sibling Volkswagen AG brands) and bringing us more "real" cars. No VGT project, no Skoda.

And all it takes is a VGT you're judging before you've even seen most of it, much less driven in the game, and probably won't even think about beyond April 24th. If, down the line, you're having fun in an Octavia vRS or Fabia WRC-based Gr.B, you'll literally have the VGT program to thank for it.

You're assuming that skoda approached GT, it's also just as likely PD approached Skoda for licensing and as part of the negotiations or any agreement the VGT project was offered, I doubt that the project was a prerequisite by Skoda for licensing, its not for other games,, It's great that Skoda are coming to the game, Given that I doubt the VGT project is to thank for other Skodas coming to the game. I dont like VGT, most are awful to drive,.

If at this stage people don’t realise the VGT program is one of the major commercial reasons why Sony/PD can deliver free content years after release. I don’t know what to say.

PD can deliver a dozen new cars to someone’s exacting taste - but the moment a VGT is revealed we get the same tedious comments. How about opening your eyes and seeing the turmoil the videogame industry is in - be grateful Gran Turismo is a franchise that can benefit from these partnerships - bringing in much needed revenue to continue support.

Guess what? When GT8 is released you’ll continue to get VGT’s - it’s also highly likely Sony will start charging for DLC and other features we now take for granted.
Do you think Skoda are paying for it, to be in the game I seriously doubt that, it's more likely an approach by PD, and it's a way to build relationships between the companies, If car manufacturers wanted cars in games that bad they wouldn't charge for the IPR of there models. Toyota, Mazda and Genesis probably give cars for free, but have a contract that states PD must put certain cars or run competitions. The only one that probably is part 9f a commercial deal, is the watch company, and suspect PD approached them if them as a potential sponsor and offered the VGT as its announcement and marketing strategy if they came on board

You're assuming that skoda approached GT, it's also just as likely PD approached Skoda for licensing and as part of the negotiations or any agreement the VGT project was offered, I doubt that the project was a prerequisite by Skoda for licensing, its not for other games,, It's great that Skoda are coming to the game, Given that I doubt the VGT project is to thank for other Skodas coming to the game. I dont like VGT, most are awful to drive,.

Do you think Skoda are paying for it, to be in the game I seriously doubt that, it's more likely an approach by PD, and it's a way to build relationships between the companies, If car manufacturers wanted cars in games that bad they wouldn't charge for the IPR of there models. Toyota, Mazda and Genesis probably give cars for free, but have a contract that states PD must put certain cars or run competitions. The only one that probably is part 9f a commercial deal, is the watch company, and suspect PD approached them if them as a potential sponsor and offered the VGT as its announcement and marketing strategy if they came on board
As I understand from the beginning of the Vision GT program PD did put the word out to car companies to participate. If that meant sending emails ten years ago to Škoda and all other brands and now Škoda are answering the call, so be it. I mean, we’re still waiting for Ford. It can be Škoda had a think way back then and now they decided to participate. Again, we’ll probably find out during the reveal. It sure is possible adding the Škoda VGT would be the genesis of adding the Škoda brand to the GT franchise.

Segue to Genesis. The Genesis car came out in 2008? Genesis as a brand debuts 2015/2016? Maybe they approached PD to be included after Hyundai had entered the Gr.1 concept.

My 2 cents:

1. I think people will be less upset if PD is committed to bringing real Skoda cars alongside the VGT. Throw in an Octavia, the old 1100 Spider and a rally car alongside the VGT and suddenly the VGT's importance diminishes. Right now, it feels like PD is completely oblivious to the brand until a design intern rings them up and says "hello, we exist and here's a concept car to pad Kaz's WipeOut grid. Can we be in the next game please?". Kaz shouldn't wait until a brand announces a VGT to add it to the game. As a car encyclopedia Skoda should've been in GT a long time ago.

2. It's no good saying the VGT will pave the way for future models to come to the game. Look at Infiniti's dealer - only VGT, no sign of G35, G37, G20/Primera, Q60 Eau Rouge. Look at Mini - the newest car apart from the VGT is almost 20 years old. Hyundai - same deal, there are only the VGT and ancient Genesis Coupe and no sign of i20 N, i30 N, Elantra, Veloster. McLaren is mising a dozen models but has 2 dupes of the VGT.

3. If we have to wait for a new concept car to add a brand to the game, where does that leave loads of significant/historical brands? Do we need to wait for a Volvo, Bentley or Lotus VGT for them to return? Would Koenigsegg bother with this marketing spiel when their clients barely play videogames? I don't think so. What about old defunct brands like Venturi or Vector? No chance of them returning. Or even quirky brands like Tatra or Saab. None of them are likely to return if Kaz' awareness and incentive to add them only depends on the design team making a VGT to go along with it.

4. Taking a view of the game as a whole, it's only been 4 months and we've had 3 VGTs so far this year. If you filter the car list on kudosprime by "Vision GT", 54 models falls into this category already. That's 10.8% of the carlist. Meanwhile loads of significant brands are still missing as I mentioned above. The roster of Ferrari, BMW, Mercedes, McLaren, Hyundai, Aston Martin and several others are outdated. We are missing LMH/LMDH other than the Toyota. Gr.3/4 class is outdated. Only one GT300 car that is Subaru. Only one modern DTM car (and the old Alfa). Loads of racing series missing like Super Taikyu, TCR, V8 Supercars, Formula E, Indycar, NASCAR, Can Am. Don't start on the lack of tracks - the last proper asphalt track was over 1 year ago.

Once again it's not that the VGT itself is bad. It's the lack of balance with other actual content that people want that makes people angry, and rightly so. Gran Turismo used to be about the players. Letting us drive cars that we own in real life, or aspire to own. Racing it, tuning it, doing things with it that we can only dream of. Then suddenly the whole brand got big and now it's more a marketing platform for Kaz' ego. Yes GT Academy has been instrumental in letting sim racing be a viable (albeit uncommon still) path to real racing. Yes VGTs have been great in generating interest in brands and influencing the future design direction of their real cars. But these should NEVER come at the expense of the actual game and players enjoyment.

At the end of the day, it's the players and fans that creates the behemoth GT brand as we know today. Without their support from GT1 through 6, Kaz would be nothing. PD would cease to exist. None of these brands would want to collaborate on anything. It's thanks to the players supporting, buying and playing the older games that Kaz got to where he is today. But now, those VERY SAME players are forgotten and cast aside. We are just an afterthought on the company balance sheet. Kaz does whatever he wants now, getting chummy with all the elites in the car world, making deals left right center. And the game? We'll just do the absolute minimum to keep it going. Who cares about adding road cars that anyone can buy, it won't generate headlines. But a shiny new VGT exclusive to the game? Yeah that will bring the clicks and $$$.

Last edited:
Just saw a "story" thing on Facebook where they said (and showed some of the car) that it IS an omage to the 1100.

Interesting.

I don't care to (or know how to) try to find that.

I couldn't care less about a Skoda VGT, just like all the others. The only way I'll ever drive it is if I win it on a roulette or it comes up in a time trial.

The only exceptions are the ones that have actually useful racing variants, like the LM55 and the Tomahawk. Even then, I'd much rather they added actual real life race cars to the game. I just don't have any attachment or affection for fictional cars that nobody can actually drive or buy - they mean nothing.

Something like the Renault 4L might not be particularly useful for racing, but it means something to people. Maybe their grandad owned one, maybe they went away for a childhood holiday in one. Nobody has that kind of affection for a VGT.

I couldn't care less about a Skoda VGT, just like all the others. The only way I'll ever drive it is if I win it on a roulette or it comes up in a time trial.

The only exceptions are the ones that have actually useful racing variants, like the LM55 and the Tomahawk. Even then, I'd much rather they added actual real life race cars to the game. I just don't have any attachment or affection for fictional cars that nobody can actually drive or buy - they mean nothing.

Something like the Renault 4L might not be particularly useful for racing, but it means something to people. Maybe their grandad owned one, maybe they went away for a childhood holiday in one. Nobody has that kind of affection for a VGT.
Yeah ok, but did somebody had that connection to the Renault Espace F1 for example? Or the Ford GT90?

This is objectively incorrect.

Skoda has dipped in and out of motor sport for way more than 50 years so they should be able to provide one or two interesting motors that would have won in their class at the time of construction, then there's the current crop of road cars using VW platforms old and new, a Fabia VRs for example should be able to keep a VW Polo GTi guessing.

Yeah ok, but did somebody had that connection to the Renault Espace F1 for example? Or the Ford GT90?
The Espace F1 did at least exist. As did the GT90, although it wasn't fully drivable IIRC.

I think the difference is that those concepts weren't designed and built purely as a marketing tie-in. There's just something soulless about the VGTs that I don't feel with any of the concepts featured in the games previously.

It is subjective of course. And I'm willing to give some kudos to the companies that actually built their VGTs to match the specs in the game - just Bugatti and Citroen I think?

2. It's no good saying the VGT will pave the way for future models to come to the game. Look at Infiniti's dealer - only VGT, no sign of G35, G37, G20/Primera, Q60 Eau Rouge. Look at Mini - the newest car apart from the VGT is almost 20 years old. Hyundai - same deal, there are only the VGT and ancient Genesis Coupe and no sign of i20 N, i30 N, Elantra, Veloster. McLaren is mising a dozen models but has 2 dupes of the VGT.
Infiniti was in the game before the VGT was (and Infiniti's presence in gaming is just weird). So was Mini. So was Hyundai. So was McLaren... In fact, so was every other brand (or at least every other one which builds more than one car) that has produced a Vision GT so far.

This is a first example of an actual, established vehicle manufacturer that isn't already in the game building a Vision GT car as its first Gran Turismo vehicle. It's the very first situation where VGT is the start of the relationship.

I think the difference is that those concepts weren't designed and built purely as a marketing tie-in.
Pretty much all concept cars are marketing, created to showcase upcoming designs and technology without any production intent at all. Only a handful ever get more than one working example (and often that example doesn't even work "properly"); the Espace F1 was straight-up marketing for Renault's F1 partnership with Williams, designed to take VIPs around F1 tracks for lots of money.
And I'm willing to give some kudos to the companies that actually built their VGTs to match the specs in the game - just Bugatti and Citroen I think?
The Citroen isn't a Vision GT, although could be regarded as the progenitor of the program. Audi also built a fully functional e-tron VGT for use in pretty much the same manner as the Espace F1 but with Formula E tracks. The FT-1 and Volkswagen Roadster were also driveable, the Fittipaldi was supposed to be production (no comment...), the IsoRivolta supposedly works, and while not 1:1 the McLaren did become the Solus.

At least four of them (BMW, Subaru, Mitsubishi, Honda) were existing concepts that just had a VGT logo slapped on them, so pretty much standard concept cars.

The Mazda, meanwhile, is the only fictional car to ever appear on the central feature at the Goodwood Festival of Speed.

As I understand from the beginning of the Vision GT program PD did put the word out to car companies to participate. If that meant sending emails ten years ago to Škoda and all other brands and now Škoda are answering the call, so be it. I mean, we’re still waiting for Ford. It can be Škoda had a think way back then and now they decided to participate. Again, we’ll probably find out during the reveal. It sure is possible adding the Škoda VGT would be the genesis of adding the Škoda brand to the GT franchise.

Segue to Genesis. The Genesis car came out in 2008? Genesis as a brand debuts 2015/2016? Maybe they approached PD to be included after Hyundai had entered the Gr.1 concept.
I still suspect its the other way round,,there a number of reasons I think this Skoda certainly wont be paying to have it in the game, as some have suggested,

The VGT project gets given to Junior designers generally, Skoda gains by seeing what there capable off, but any serious design that Skoda was intent on bringing to the fore, will be with a Senior Designer that's what you pay them for,

Other manufacturers don't have VGT, so it's definitely not a barrier for a manufacturer in been in GT.

I strongly suggest that it will go something like this

PD approach Skoda about gaining licensing

They haggle over cost

PD suggest as part of launching the brand in the GT world, would they be interested in a VGT project.

An email from 10 plus years ago ,will well and truly be archived, no-one is likely to remember and with staff turnover, there's a good chance none of the team from that time is still at Skoda.

The only manufacturers that I am aware of who are proactive in getting cars into games is BMW and its there race cars I only know that because there head of licencing said that in interview and Ironically none of those 3 cars The GTP, M4GT3 and there new GT4 are in GT. One would assume BMW approached PD, if not, it shows that BMW don’t considers PD to be as relevant as the once where in the Genre.

The only manufacturers that I am aware of who are proactive in getting cars into games is BMW and its there race cars I only know that because there head of licencing said that in interview and Ironically none of those 3 cars The GTP, M4GT3 and there new GT4 are in GT. One would assume BMW approached PD, if not, it shows that BMW don’t considers PD to be as relevant as the once where in the Genre.
For modern race cars specifically? Yes, PD aren't as relevant in it, because the market for modern race car sims is stupidly saturated right now.

It'd be silly of them to focus on the one segment of cars that 10 other sims already hyperfixate on, when there is so much more of automotive history out there that they can move into and own pretty much uncontested.

For modern race cars specifically? Yes, PD aren't as relevant in it, because the market for modern race car sims is stupidly saturated right now.

It'd be silly of them to focus on the one segment of cars that 10 other sims already hyperfixate on, when there is so much more of automotive history out there that they can move into and own pretty much uncontested.
They aren't focusing on anything actually.

There is a good argument in what you say, maybe that is the plan, and I'm probably a different type of player to you, I race in leagues and don’t touch single player, and that experience has shown me the younger players, don't want what GT is offering we have lost loads of players to other SIMs, and those other SIMs do offerr historic cars, mainly race cars admittedly

Kaz & team thought outside the norm since introduction of NIKE & Citroen GT project.

This would make sense if they didn’t focus on gr3 for daily races

But none on console have vr, so they don’t exist to me.

What i want most days is to watch imsa, wec, indy, f1 etc and then hop into vr, with the dd extreme(if its ever unnerfed and supported) and drive. It gives a unique appreciation for the track and cars which becomes a self feeding cycle of watching more racing as wel as playing more gt7. Yesterday, i spent the whole f1 race wondering about that Chinese track with all of its gradients.

I dunno. It seems as if gt7 wants to be this cool thing, but caters to the 40-50+ year olds.

The Espace F1 did at least exist. As did the GT90, although it wasn't fully drivable IIRC.

I think the difference is that those concepts weren't designed and built purely as a marketing tie-in. There's just something soulless about the VGTs that I don't feel with any of the concepts featured in the games previously.

It is subjective of course. And I'm willing to give some kudos to the companies that actually built their VGTs to match the specs in the game - just Bugatti and Citroen I think?
I don’t know about all VGTs that been build in the real world, there’s some more I guess, but the Citroen isn’t part of it because it isn’t a VGT as far as I know.

That part that VGTs are generally „soulless“ is indeed subjective, I find it true with some like the VWs or the Mini for example, but there’s also ones that I really like, that have personality in my eyes, like the Jaguars, the BVLGARI, Honda etc.. But that’s subjective too of course.
And regarding the marketing aspect and the functionality, this was part of the concept car culture from very early on if you look at the „Dream Cars“ at the Motoramas in the US for example. These weren’t meant to be put into production, they wanted to raise attention on their brand(s) to sell their „normal“ production cars (and/ or show off things to come).
And car brands are doing this till this day, there’s not a lot of difference I would say to most VGTs, except that there’s also other motivations behind them as doing things that wouldn’t be possible in the real world (what I don’t like personally) for example.

The problem for me personally is their implementation, what they do with these cars, or let’s say what they don’t do with them. They are underused, the VGT Events ain’t doing it for me that much, because a lot have big power gaps between them, they should create more specific events (and the lack of these are a general problem with GT7). Other problems for me are the lack of cockpits (that destroys the whole illusion for me that these are real cars and I won’t buy any these) and the lack on some VGTs of engine specs, which does the same for me as the 1st point. While PD puts so much focus on details and authenticity in other departments, it annoys me to be honest, that they consequent in other aspects.

My 2 cents:

1. I think people will be less upset if PD is committed to bringing real Skoda cars alongside the VGT. Throw in an Octavia, the old 1100 Spider and a rally car alongside the VGT and suddenly the VGT's importance diminishes. Right now, it feels like PD is completely oblivious to the brand until a design intern rings them up and says "hello, we exist and here's a concept car to pad Kaz's WipeOut grid. Can we be in the next game please?". Kaz shouldn't wait until a brand announces a VGT to add it to the game. As a car encyclopedia Skoda should've been in GT a long time ago.

3. If we have to wait for a new concept car to add a brand to the game, where does that leave loads of significant/historical brands? Do we need to wait for a Volvo, Bentley or Lotus VGT for them to return? Would Koenigsegg bother with this marketing spiel when their clients barely play videogames? I don't think so. What about old defunct brands like Venturi or Vector? No chance of them returning. Or even quirky brands like Tatra or Saab. None of them are likely to return if Kaz' awareness and incentive to add them only depends on the design team making a VGT to go along with it.

4. Taking a view of the game as a whole, it's only been 4 months and we've had 3 VGTs so far this year. If you filter the car list on kudosprime by "Vision GT", 54 models falls into this category already. That's 10.8% of the carlist. Meanwhile loads of significant brands are still missing as I mentioned above. The roster of Ferrari, BMW, Mercedes, McLaren, Hyundai, Aston Martin and several others are outdated. We are missing LMH/LMDH other than the Toyota. Gr.3/4 class is outdated. Only one GT300 car that is Subaru. Only one modern DTM car (and the old Alfa). Loads of racing series missing like Super Taikyu, TCR, V8 Supercars, Formula E, Indycar, NASCAR, Can Am. Don't start on the lack of tracks - the last proper asphalt track was over 1 year ago.

Once again it's not that the VGT itself is bad. It's the lack of balance with other actual content that people want that makes people angry, and rightly so. Gran Turismo used to be about the players. Letting us drive cars that we own in real life, or aspire to own. Racing it, tuning it, doing things with it that we can only dream of. Then suddenly the whole brand got big and now it's more a marketing platform for Kaz' ego. Yes GT Academy has been instrumental in letting sim racing be a viable (albeit uncommon still) path to real racing. Yes VGTs have been great in generating interest in brands and influencing the future design direction of their real cars. But these should NEVER come at the expense of the actual game and players enjoyment.

At the end of the day, it's the players and fans that creates the behemoth GT brand as we know today. Without their support from GT1 through 6, Kaz would be nothing. PD would cease to exist. None of these brands would want to collaborate on anything. It's thanks to the players supporting, buying and playing the older games that Kaz got to where he is today. But now, those VERY SAME players are forgotten and cast aside. We are just an afterthought on the company balance sheet. Kaz does whatever he wants now, getting chummy with all the elites in the car world, making deals left right center. And the game? We'll just do the absolute minimum to keep it going. Who cares about adding road cars that anyone can buy, it won't generate headlines. But a shiny new VGT exclusive to the game? Yeah that will bring the clicks and $$$.
500% Agree.

Back