Snails - Racing for Real

• Thread starter CoachMK21
  • 369 comments
Unfortunately I will likely be passing up on the fall series this year due to the Saturday AM format. I'm still working on my kitchen cabinetry and really cannot justify 5 hours each of 5 Saturdays. Pretty bummed... but maybe it'll motivate me to actually buy a real race kart. (Actually, I just purchased a real kart seat and steering wheel, but those are for my simulator, hehehe. :) )

It's been a while since I've shared my racing adventures here, so I'll do a little catch up. Since the ChumpCar race at Watkins Glen, I've done a few autocross events. The most notable was the SCCA Devens Championship Tour event, whcih I co-drive with @z06fun in his Honda S2000. I posted about this in the main thread, so I won't go over again, but if you want to watch some video, here they are.

Saturday:

Sunday:

A week after the ChampTour event, I had another really good performance at our MCC site, finishing 2nd in PRO, 3rd overall and 9th on RAW time.

My son and I then returned to local events and we both completed at New Era Stadium (Buffalo Bills). It's a lot of fun competing with my son. He improved a lot from his first event earlier this year. Mostly because he had been driving the 350z to school and practice. He still needs to work on smoother shifting and smoother inputs, but he's getting better!

Mike's best run - He finished 2nd in Novice out of 23 others.

My fastest run earned me 6th in Pro and 7th overall.

A couple weeks later, my son and I did an event at Xerox in our home region, FLR. It was a challenging course for our car and we both struggled with cones, with each of us coning away our fastest runs. Mike finished 4th in Novice. and I was a disappointing 7th in Pro.

Then this past weekend I was asked to co-drive in a 2008 Mazda RX-8, set up for D-Street Prepared class on Hoosier A7 slicks. This was my first time driving a car on Hoosiers and it was a lot of fun, but I made an aggressive mistake on my first run and ended up in the grass, and got stuck. We had to get towed out. I was able to put a good run together on my 3rd run of the day, but we struggled with the tires being too hot in the afternoon and couldn't improve. I finished 5th in Pro, 11th overall and 4th in RAW time.

Oops:

Best run:

Thanks for watching, commenting and for your support!

I don't have any sweet videos or pics but a couple buddies and myself just ran a 2-Hr. endurance karting race at Pitt Race. We managed 2nd place. That was a ton of fun. I had the pleasure of running the long stint so that one our driver changed coincided with the mandatory halfway refueling stop. It was great to get behind the wheel for a full hour and dealing with some of the mental and physical fatigue that happens out there on track. It was a great experience for me personally. I'm really lucky to live close enough to a venue that affords me an opportunity to do stuff like this. Great times!

I got to have a go in gas-powered unrestricted rental karts for the first time a while back. Some buddies from SCCA and I went to GoPro Motorplex in Mooresville North Carolina. After our three 10min races were over I pretty much wanted to move to Mooresville so I could race karts all the time haha..

Also, I won every race ;) (set the fastest lap)
21551942_10154702272131143_281656134976320266_o.jpg

One of the main reasons I think I did so well was because I was much more comfortable racing in traffic than my autocross buddies. Thanks, Monday Night Miatas!

I got to have a go in gas-powered unrestricted rental karts for the first time a while back. Some buddies from SCCA and I went to GoPro Motorplex in Mooresville North Carolina. After our three 10min races were over I pretty much wanted to move to Mooresville so I could race karts all the time haha..

Also, I won every race ;) (set the fastest lap)
21551942_10154702272131143_281656134976320266_o.jpg

One of the main reasons I think I did so well was because I was much more comfortable racing in traffic than my autocross buddies. Thanks, Monday Night Miatas!

Awesome!

I tried to stop in there when I was on vacation last year, but there happend to be a big event that day and rentals were not available. I do agree with you on the traffic comment. When I started racing outdoor rentals a couple years ago, I was comfortable [and reasonably successful] in traffic right off the rip due mainly to sim experience. Certainly the MNM was beneficial.

Figured I'd share...

I bought a used LO206 kart. Planning on doing some local club racing next year at PittRace. MAYBE make a trip over to New Castle in IN once or twice too. We'll see.
I remember hearing a lot of good things about the LO206 karts but I don't know if anyone near me actually races them.

Very cool there is another local sim racer. We have some killer sites lined up for next year, much better than MCC
Nice,
Yeah quite honestly MCC is the only place i have attended just been getting into autox. I like it but it is quite small.

gratuitous SNAIL picture: @whatbadgerseat and I at the Fontana ProSolo this past weekend :D And we're gonna continue doing battle in basically identically prepared ND's at the next 3 National SCCA Solo events in April: San Diego Match Tour, Crows Landing Tour, and Crows Landing ProSolo.

View attachment 725550

What are the dates on Crow's Landing. That's about an hour away from home.

2018 ChampCar 14-Hours of Daytona Race Summary

April 7, 2018 - On this day, I was able to return to Daytona International Speedway to take part in the 14-hours of Daytona with ChampCar, formerly known as ChumpCar. Krueger Tuned Racing was entered in a 1989 Mazda RX-7, with a V6 swapped in from a late 90's Chevy Camaro. This car debuted at this race in 2016 and were plagued by a mysterious speed sensor issue that took us 1/2 the race to fix. The solution? Cutting the speed sensor cable. The 2018 race featured 129 entrants, with 45 cars being in Class C with us. The classes are determined by engine displacement, with Class D being the largest.

The race began under sunny skies, with a threat of rain in the forecast. At 9 am, my cousin JC took the green flag. We started 3 laps down due to being at 522 points, with 500 being the max value. This caused us to take the green flag in 122nd place. The first 2 hours were plagued by several cautions, including a very scary one (but no injuries). Our plan was to run 2-hour stints, which we figured we would be safe to do with our new 20 gallon fuel cell. Unfortunately, near the end of the stint, the car suffered from some fuel starvation, but only in turn 1. We theorized since we were flat out from the bus stop through turn 1, then the car was under hard braking into a left turn that the fuel was sloshed to the front right and enough away from the fuel pump and alternate pick up. We tried several things, like shifting earlier and not going flat out after the bus stop, but nothing really helped. JC put down a 2:20.907 lap near the end of his 33 lap stint. Our best time in 2016 was 2:28. At the time we entered the pits, JC had moved up to 62nd place.

My oldest brother, Chuck was the next out and we continued the near 2 hour stint. There were only a few cautions, which allowed us to continue to move up in the standings. Chuck's best lap was a 2:25.249 during his 40 lap stint and moved up to 35th when we pit. My uncle, Walt was the next out in a shorter 80 minute stint. He's 71 years old and still knows how to put together solid laps. He put down a 2:30.380 and moved up to 33rd when he entered the pits to change drivers after 29 laps. My cousins friend, Ian was the next in the car at 2:20 pm. We could see the bad weather was coming and he only made it 14 laps before the race was red flagged due to lightning, hard rain and some serious wind. The red flag lasted an hour and Ian went back out for another hours. Ian ran a 2:24.322 before the rain came and put in a total of 37 laps.

Now it was my turn to get out on track, at 5:15 pm. Ian brought the car in at 28th place. The track was mostly dry by the time I went out, but still had some damp spots on the infield sections. My first lap was faster than I went in 2016 by 2 seconds and I was fortunate to not have any on track issues. There was only one caution, for 3 or 4 laps, but we did have a strategy issue that caused us to lose 1 1/3 of a lap. We planned to put the lights on the car at the pit stop after me, around 7 pm, but while I was out on track, the officials told everyone we needed lights on at 6 pm. So I had to make an unscheduled pit stop and it happened just when a FCY had ended. Had I come in a lap sooner, we would have been in much better shape. My best lap of 2:20.565 came on lap 170; I was on track from lap 143 to 181, 39 laps.

Ian went back out for another stint, but was only able to make it 3 laps before another 1-hour lightning delay occurred again. In total, he ran 29 laps and moved us up to 22nd place overall and 15th in class. His fastest lap this stint was 2:24.012, before the rain came and 2:35.943 after the rain. JC was the final driver for KTR and put in 28 wet laps. The track dried some, but it was very one lined in most places. His best lap was 2:28.015. Somehow, we lost 2 places and finished 24th overall (19th if you remove EC) and 13th in class C. Class C had 8 of the top 10 finishers, so it was by far the most competitive class.

Racing at Daytona is such an awesome experience. For those that don't know, my Dad raced in the 24-hours of Daytona in 1967 with Brock Yates, Sr in a 1966 Dodge Dart and finished 15th overall. So anytime I can race on the same track my Dad did, is special. It's amazing to share this with my family and we were very proud of our finish and the fact that we only had 1 issue (the lights) the whole race. All told, we ran 238 laps (actually 241 due to our penalty), which is over 800 miles. Now on to some videos.

My fastest lap.

My full stint.

Went to my second autocross event this weekend. The real McTrucker showed up. I pushed to hard and ran over many cone my first two runs, and got a little sideways in the third. But I did pull out one decent run in the end. Now that i have had the car a little while I realize that buying a old car = less power :grumpy:

Went to my second autocross event this weekend. The real McTrucker showed up. I pushed to hard and ran over many cone my first two runs, and got a little sideways in the third. But I did pull out one decent run in the end. Now that i have had the car a little while I realize that buying a old car = less power :grumpy:

You can have a blast with less than ideal HP cars. Tires make the biggest difference, but it's fun no matter what.

You can have a blast with less than ideal HP cars. Tires make the biggest difference, but it's fun no matter what.
Unfortunately, my fun is over. I have to have sholder surgery on Friday. There is next year though. I think i am going to get a frs or brz and try to get into that new spec class next year

Back