Space In General

i was merely looking for answers on the "20% gravity" v "no atmosphere", in the way things fall in the moon films.
Things fall on the moon as affected by gravity ONLY, which for material light enough to be affected by a breeze simply doesn't happen on Earth. Throw a bowling ball and you see a perfectly ballistic trajectory. Throw a feather and you see it stop and float down slowly, or if there's any wind, it could just blow away. Throwing a bowling ball and a feather on the moon, with the same initial speed and direction, will result in exactly the same perfect ballistic trajectory from both. Going back to your dust question, every rock, every grain of sand, every particle of dust, follows a perfect ballistic trajectory once thrown up from the surface by an astronaut's boot or a rover's wheel.

Of course, there is the demonstration by an Apollo astronaut dropping a hammer and a feather on the moon. This video by itself should prove that the moon landings were real, as on Earth that feather would have fluttered in the air. In the vacuum around the moon, it was no different from the hammer.

Last edited:
Things fall on the moon as affected by gravity ONLY, which for material light enough to be affected by a breeze simply doesn't happen on Earth. Throw a bowling ball and you see a perfectly ballistic trajectory. Throw a feather and you see it stop and float down slowly, or if there's any wind, it could just blow away. Throwing a bowling ball and a feather on the moon, with the same initial speed and direction, will result in exactly the same perfect ballistic trajectory from both. Going back to your dust question, every rock, every grain of sand, every particle of dust, follows a perfect ballistic trajectory once thrown up from the surface by an astronaut's boot or a rover's wheel.

Of course, there is the demonstration by an Apollo astronaut dropping a hammer and a feather on the moon. This video by itself should prove that the moon landings were real, as on Earth that feather would have fluttered in the air. In the vacuum around the moon, it was no different from the hammer.

`i`d not seen that - thats very good - thanks

As a further note, if that was done on Earth, the hammer would reach the floor in just about half a second, while on the Moon it would take just over one second (depending on David Scott's slightly-below-shoulder height). In the clip it's nearer the latter than the former.

yeah like i said, i seen all those youtube star vids etc etc ( i think you read that in the wrong context or my apologies if id written it a tad iffy)..........i was merely looking for answers on the "20% gravity" v "no atmosphere", in the way things fall in the moon films. & i get whats been said, but do they kinda cancel or maybe equal things up to give an earth like appearance in movement ? & if so its a bit of a weird coincidence but also does this extend to stones being projected from the tyres of the buggy in the same manner ? as id expect them to travel further ??

I used to work for NASA, and participated on some unmanned flight missions. I can tell you without a doubt, it's easier to do it for real than to fake. We occasionally would run drills on flight missions where we had to simulate data representing an emergency and then the team would be tested on their preparedness to handle the emergency in a timely manner. Invariably, despite the fact that nobody on Earth was in a better position to generate fake data, something would be wrong with the data. It happened so frequently that there was even a system put in place for what happens when the simulated data is wrong and you need the test runners to correct the data.

It would literally cost more money to fake any of these missions than to just do them.

Still far too early to be confirmed, and if it is true we're likely just looking at microscopic organisms... but still, it's always pretty fascinating to see that a planet orbiting a star much different than ours has the potential to be life-harboring.

Still far too early to be confirmed, and if it is true we're likely just looking at microscopic organisms... but still, it's always pretty fascinating to see that a planet orbiting a star much different than ours has the potential to be life-harboring.
well if there is, i hope they treat it better than the life on this planet

("they" being the human race)

Last edited:
Given that said planet is about 120 light years away, I don't think we'll be doing all that much to disturb them aside from some ultra-long range invasion of privacy. :lol:
Has it got a name ?............Uber are quite accommodating 🌝

Not seen much about OSIRIS on here, but the OSIRIS-REx mission just returned a capsule of asteroid sample to Earth, estimated to be a few hundred grams, from the high-threat Bennu asteroid after a seven-year round trip.

1695573941308.png

Sample Return Capsule of OSIRIS-REx, after touchdown in Utah

The craft itself is now sodding back off on the OSIRIS-APEX mission to do the same thing with the Apophis asteroid, with an ETA of April 2029...

Crazy stuff.

Last edited:
I assumed its encased in some kind of sealed unit as i`d have expected NASA to be donning full-on antibacterial suits with a serious military back-up team with maybe the surrounding 20 miles cordoned off ....................I bet it is when Hollywood do the film 🌝

Last edited:
It was wild checking out the annular solar eclipse that happened recently. This phenomena was tracked from Eugene, OR, USA, to Albuquerque, NM, USA... and down to Kerrville, TX, USA. It was a beautifully sunny day here in Houston this morning. However, it seemed like somebody toned down the brightness or contrast on the sunny weather here today. Seeing the effect of the "Ring of Fire" was incredible. Just an unreal experience.

Wasn't ring-of-fire here, not being in the center of the path, but I put the Big Stopper on my oldest digital camera (just in case it fries) and took this at 11:50 Central time, about 25 minutes before maximum coverage here. (I guess lunch was more important, as I completely forgot to go out at 12:15 for maximum.) Focus is ever-so-slightly off, but it's not like I could look through the viewfinder, even with a 10-stop filter. I used the minimum exposure I could do, 1/8000 @ f:40.
53259027907_346518f1da_b.jpg

When I realized I'd missed maximum, I went back out to see if it was over, and I got the very end of it, just a tiny bite still there. This was 1:48 Central time.
53260253969_e2f562f183_b.jpg

Beautiful Starship test-launch!
All engines were working.
1700313837613.png

The first stage terminated shortly after separation. The second stage terminated just before running out of fuel at the height of 148 km.

First stage "rapid unscheduled disassembly"
7lkzVoqcOoQ.jpg
9qm2ROeISqM.jpg

Last edited:
Incredible what SpaceX have nearly achieved. They were so close to delivering 100 tonnes of shrapnel travelling at 24,000km/h to low earth orbit....

Work on Ingenuity's successor is currently underway, and the fact that our little copter pal has done more than double its originally planned flights and is still going has been a great help in gathering practical data in just how the new machine will peform in the Martian environment.

“We spun our blades up to 3,500 rpm, which is 750 revolutions per minute faster than the Ingenuity blades have gone,” said Tyler Del Sesto, Sample Recovery Helicopter deputy test conductor at JPL. “These more efficient blades are now more than a hypothetical exercise. They are ready to fly.”

Voyager 1 is having some communication issues. Two of its subsystems aren't talking to each other correctly, which is preventing it from sending data back.

The issue appears to be with the Flight Data System (FDS), which is not communicating correctly with one of the probe's subsystems - the Telemetry Modulation Unit (TMU).

Rather than useful data, the TMU is simply transmitting a repeating pattern of ones and zeroes as if it were "stuck," according to NASA.

The FDS is responsible for collecting data from Voyager 1's science instruments as well as on the general health of the spacecraft. This is all packaged up and sent back to Earth by the TMU. Having worked through the possibilities, the Voyager team reckons the issue lies with the FDS.

Given that this is a probe that is probably older than most of the scientists currently working on it, and that it's so far away that it takes almost 48 hours for a single command from Earth to make a round trip, I can't say I envy those who are tasked with fixing this.

Last edited:
Any of you guys follow this channel on YouTube.com?

Latest vid they just cane out with:

Came across it a couple years ago in bumper to bumper traffic. I feel like their explanations do a good job at splitting the baby between overly-complicated, and overly dumbing it down to teach to 4th graders.

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back