The Forgotten Cars Thread

• Thread starter el fayce
  • 1,363 comments
The BMW 330i xDrive Gran Turismo was sold in the US a few years ago. A BMW 3-series with a hatchback look, no wonder nobody bought it. :lol:
1715298681970.png

The BMW 330i xDrive Gran Turismo was sold in the US a few years ago. A BMW 3-series with a hatchback look, no wonder nobody bought it. :lol:
View attachment 1354189
Both the 3er and 5er GTs look hideous. In general, I like hatchbacks, I for one like the 1er BMWs, even the current ones (as long as we don't consider that they're FWD...) but these 2 are simply atrocious...

Last edited:
GT models still exist.. 6GT probably the most externally appealing of the lot.
Only the 5-series GT and 3-series GT were sold in the U.S. likely due to BMW realizing that sales probably never topped a few hundred per year. Probably flopped because they were sedans with a "SUV coupe" body, rather than SUVs with a "SUV coupe" body which is why in comparison the X6 has done rather well. I agree that the 6-GT looks better than the 5 and 3.

I liked the old 02 hatchbacks, but it’s as if BMW missed the styling of the concept above. I can also understand the design rules that dictate what a car looks like, but BMW’s history of style should be prominent.
The GT models were about trying to sell something that wasn't a touring to markets that don't buy tourings, that wasn't an SUV. BMW invented the sports utility coupe with the X6, which has - for better or worse caught on - the GT models were the flipside (the better side) of that coin.. they are great cars to be in, better than compromised 'trucks' Sports activity coupes... better than hearse like tourers with their saloon like limitations... but they looked odd - for the time - and didn't catch on...

The Frau coupe concept you've posted, though a personal favourite, is nothing to do with anything. Frau stitched any front end he could on to the same body, and hawked it around any manufacturers he could, which is why no other part of it looks like a BMW.

Only the 5-series GT and 3-series GT were sold in the U.S. likely due to BMW realizing that sales probably never topped a few hundred per year. Probably flopped because they were sedans with a "SUV coupe" body, rather than SUVs with a "SUV coupe" body which is why in comparison the X6 has done rather well. I agree that the 6-GT looks better than the 5 and 3.
The earlier 6-Series GT was actually sold in the U.S. We never got the later LCI (facelifted) model as it was killed off around 2019. (Used to work at a BMW dealership and these were around brand new when I started in 2019)

I was pretty sure they made one but I forgot what the NBS Chevy stepside looked like.

maxresdefault.jpg

I think it's mostly due to not having seen one in so long but I also may have subconsciously wiped them from my memory because they are so ugly.

The GT models were about trying to sell something that wasn't a touring to markets that don't buy tourings, that wasn't an SUV. BMW invented the sports utility coupe with the X6, which has - for better or worse caught on - the GT models were the flipside (the better side) of that coin.. they are great cars to be in, better than compromised 'trucks' Sports activity coupes... better than hearse like tourers with their saloon like limitations... but they looked odd - for the time - and didn't catch on...

The Frau coupe concept you've posted, though a personal favourite, is nothing to do with anything. Frau stitched any front end he could on to the same body, and hawked it around any manufacturers he could, which is why no other part of it looks like a BMW.
Suzuki would beg to differ ;)

images.jpg

The sedan Dodge Avenger 2007-2014 was pretty much forgotten as soon as it was cancelled in '14. To me, it looked like a slightly uglier Charger with a shorter rear quarter panel. I can't really blame Chrysler for getting rid of it as it was really just an slightly less powerful Dodge Charger despite being more closely related to the Dodge Caliber (which was also quickly forgotten).
1715822905648.png

1715823526206.png

Latest Posts

Back