The Future of Toyota Body-on-frame vehicles.

• Thread starter Snaeper
  • 183 comments
At this point I think the 4Runner has a lot more cache in the States than Land Cruiser, and especially Land Cruiser Prado which nobody has heard of. This would be an odd decision, IMO.

It looks around the same size as the 4Runner. I would be very surprised to see a 6th gen, some info would have been leaked by now.

Last edited:
Teaser for hopefully the full reveal of the Land Cruiser for August 1st. Just hope it's not like the Tacoma where it was a teaser of...a teaser.
toyota-teaser-embargo-july-26-64bfe22bbfff5.jpg

That would be such a critical oversight on Toyota's part if it doesn't.
It's one of my favorite things about my 4Runner, the air flow is perfect with the sunroof and rear window cracked open.

Last edited:
Other teasers have been showed also, of note one that shows the pop button for the rear glass, confirming this truck won’t have a roll-down rear window like the GX, and suggesting that the 4Runner won’t have a roll down rear window either. @Joey D @Veinz

Last edited:
Is it pretty much confirmed that the Land Cruiser is going to be the SUV Tacoma? Where does that leave the 4Runner? Nothing makes sense anymore with Grand/Highlander and Sequoia in the lineup.

Is it pretty much confirmed that the Land Cruiser is going to be the SUV Tacoma? Where does that leave the 4Runner? Nothing makes sense anymore with Grand/Highlander and Sequoia in the lineup.

We don't know for sure yet. The Land Cruiser is getting unveiled tonight at 9pm EST. While it'll be on the GA-F platform, we don't know if there's a 4Runner or not.

My guess is they still come out with a 4Runner since it prints money for Toyota.

Y'all are waiting but it's already here.

Gotta be honest, I am whelmed. I'm not sure what this is exactly because it seems exactly like a 4Runner to me. Does this mean the 4Runner is actually going to become more hardcore? That seems like a reversal of roles but whatever. It looks cool sure and I'm excited for the details but I still can't wrap my head around Toyota's marketing and separation of these vehicles.

Last edited:
I like the round lights more than the rectangular ones. But I'm digging the old school vibe with it.
Gotta be honest, I am whelmed. I'm not sure what this is exactly because it seems exactly like a 4Runner to me. Does this mean the 4Runner is actually going to become more hardcore? That seems like a reversal of roles but whatever. It looks cool sure and I'm excited for the details but I still can't wrap my head around Toyota's marketing and separation of these vehicles.
Over on the 4Runner forums, people are thinking the 4Runner might get a bit smaller and more off-road-oriented to compete more with the Wrangler and Bronco. I could see them ditching the Limited and Sport trims though and having an SR5 as the basic 4Runner package, the Off-Road that's like the Trailhunter, and the Pro which is really extreme.

I like the round lights more than the rectangular ones. But I'm digging the old school vibe with it.

Over on the 4Runner forums, people are thinking the 4Runner might get a bit smaller and more off-road-oriented to compete more with the Wrangler and Bronco. I could see them ditching the Limited and Sport trims though and having an SR5 as the basic 4Runner package, the Off-Road that's like the Trailhunter, and the Pro which is really extreme.
I'd also choose those round headlights. I'm glad they've still got LED accents, plus the extra black plastic is less paint to worry about. Hopefully that trim level still offers leather (easier to clean dust and mud) and whatever off-road hardware is available on top trims. I would hope Toyota sells an LC triple locked in 2024 but I doubt they will.

$56,000 starting? That puts a decently equipped one at around $70,000 and that's pretty doable.

Also from MotorTrend:

However, given the Land Cruiser's new two-row, five-passenger arrangement, it begs the question: "What will happen with the 4Runner?" Toyota says not to worry. The 4Runner is a U.S.-based model that attracts a younger customer base, while the Land Cruiser is a global model that was designed for a more mature audience. Sounds to us like a new body-on-frame version of the 4Runner is in the offing in the not too distant future.

Barack Obama GIF by NowThis

So this new Land Cruiser, is the 250 Series and the existing Land Cruiser that's not sold in the US is the 300 Series. Japan gets an exclusive 70 Series which is the classic Land Cruiser but with a more modern engines

The 70 Series is making its return to Japan as a regular model in the range, offering original features that have evolved with the times.

2.8-liter diesel engine and 6-speed automatic transmission to deliver strong driving performance and excellent fuel economy
Instead of the traditional gasoline-powered engine, the new 70 Series comes with an updated 2.8-liter 1GD turbo diesel engine powertrain that boasts outstanding reliability. It delivers the tough off-road performance only available from a high-torque, high-output diesel engine, while achieving a low-noise, quiet ride and improved fuel economy.

Original ladder frame for high durability and reliability, with improved on-road comfort while maintaining outstanding off-road driving performance

1690940878717.png

1690940863741.png

1690940872007.png

1690940885714.png

I get why they don't sell the 70 series in America, but I wish they did. I know they were sort of, kind of sold in Canada but getting one would be impossible.

Ford has set the benchmark: You can buy a base model Bronco and add the Sasquatch package which instantly gives you all the off-road goodies you could possibly want: Lifted, triple locked, 35 inch tires from the factory. Instant beast. Further, if you step all the way up to the Badlands which is one of the highest trims with the nicer interiors, you then also get the best sway bar disconnect in the industry, and an IFS designed with much better articulation than Toyota keeps doing. Also the Bronco is offered winch-ready, in fact you can install one from the factory. That Badlands Sasquatch then is better equipped and considerably more capable than the base Land Cruiser for the same price.

I'm just making the point that this LC is very expensive for what you get. Or am I making the point that the Bronco is a freaking steal? Not sure.

What I do know is that Toyota really needs to have thought through aftermarket adaptibility when vehicles like the Bronco exist. Perhaps the 4Runner will be more capable and offer more hardcore options...but how is it supposed to do that while being cheaper? The interior and running gear can't get more basic than this LC, and yet the LC also isn't equipped with the best running gear. So once again I am confused on the marketing here because they're very obviously offering a less-equipped product at a much higher price compared to the competition and if they offer a more competitor-aligned product at a cheaper price it would seem to undercut the LC's market position and cannibalize sales.

Toyota has already made some strange decisions with the Tundra, Sequoia, and new Tacoma off-road models, particularly the TRD Pros. It seems like they're seriously underestimating North Americas appetite for hardcore wheelers. I love this LC in a vaccum but after a quick glance at the Bronco's website it's like, oof, you can get a lot of Bronco for considerably less money.

Last edited:
So there's a bit of freak out going on over this photo in the 4Runner communities:
1690983151472.png

People think that the silloutte on the right is the new 4Runner while the one on the left is the FJ revival. I can't forsee Toyota doing to the 4Runner what Nissan did to the Pathfinder, but who knows. If anything, I think that vehilce on the right is a more production ready verison of the bZ5X concept.

1690983523503.png

The one on the left is probably the electric FJ thing Toyota's teased for bit based on the Conpact Cruiser concept:

1690983364072.png

The cynic in me thinks that the new Landcruiser was more or less a way for Toyota to sell a new version of the 4Runner (I know its not the same, but it's quite similar) for more money.* This will then allow Toyota to create a more cost effective platform (IE cheaper) for the 4Runner and sell it at its current price. Basically, they are increasing the margins everywhere. I wouldn't even be surprised if the new 4Runner is some kind of unibody thing.

*A Land Cruiser for a base price of $55k sounds like a great deal, considering the old one
A 4Runner for a base price of $55k sounds extraordinarily expensive, considering the old one

Toyota has replaced the 4Runner with a similar vehicle that seems like it should be more expensive, and then charging an extra $15k+ for it. And people will buy these up like crazy. I used to think the 4Runner was too expensive at $38k base, but honestly the business case for that car I think is the opposite - it was too cheap. I think Toyota knows the US market better than any other manufacturer right now - it seems like every car they make (other than the WTF Crown) is either a winner or at least the default choice for a given segment.

The cynic in me thinks that the new Landcruiser was more or less a way for Toyota to sell a new version of the 4Runner (I know its not the same, but it's quite similar) for more money.* This will then allow Toyota to create a more cost effective platform (IE cheaper) for the 4Runner and sell it at its current price. Basically, they are increasing the margins everywhere. I wouldn't even be surprised if the new 4Runner is some kind of unibody thing.
Per 4Runner6G, which operates on sort of a "trust me bro" thing where they're getting their info from a supposed insider, the 4Runner is just going to be a Tacoma with a backend.

the 4Runner is just going to be a Tacoma with a backend.
Well they're all on the same platform sooooo.

They all have the same front suspension sooooo.

They all have the same drivetrain sooooo.

The 4Runner is going to have the same seats and dashboard as the Tacoma? No **** Sherlock. That's doesn't explain how it's going to be both cheaper and more hardcore than the LC250. It's still going to have the same rear suspension design as the LC, although we'll need to rely on people like Dan Edmunds to get to the nitty gritty of what the differences actually are. Ford and Chevy both got pretty technical with their suspension stuff but Toyota never does this adequately. I know why...because the suspension geometry on these things are almost exactly the same as my 2006 Sequoia. Once something works well enough, Toyota never changes it.

Last edited:
Well they're all on the same platform sooooo.

They all have the same front suspension sooooo.

They all have the same drivetrain sooooo.

The 4Runner is going to have the same seats and dashboard as the Tacoma? No **** Sherlock. That's doesn't explain how it's going to be both cheaper and more hardcore than the LC250. It's still going to have the same rear suspension design as the LC, although we'll need to rely on people like Dan Edmunds to get to the nitty gritty of what the differences actually are. Ford and Chevy both got pretty technical with their suspension stuff but Toyota never does this adequately. I know why...because the suspension geometry on these things are almost exactly the same as my 2006 Sequoia. Once something works well enough, Toyota never changes it.
The current 4Runner starts around $40k, so I'm guessing the 6th gen will start between $43k-$46K so that will still be $10k less than the LC. It'll likely accomplish this with the same engine choices as the Tacoma, meaning the SR5 won't have the hybrid system. I'm sure once you get into the TRD Off-Road and Pro, it'll be well into the LC territory. The 6th gen will probably be made in Mexico instead of Japan like the current 4Runner is, which should help keep the price a bit lower. It'll also make some people not want to buy it for whatever reason.

The current 4Runner starts around $40k, so I'm guessing the 6th gen will start between $43k-$46K so that will still be $10k less than the LC. It'll likely accomplish this with the same engine choices as the Tacoma, meaning the SR5 won't have the hybrid system. I'm sure once you get into the TRD Off-Road and Pro, it'll be well into the LC territory. The 6th gen will probably be made in Mexico instead of Japan like the current 4Runner is, which should help keep the price a bit lower. It'll also make some people not want to buy it for whatever reason.
$40k? Too much. Gotta have a base model at 35 like the Bronco.

Toyota has unveiled a prototype hydrogen HiLux that uses technology similar to the Mirai.

Apparently a shorter version of the announced Land Cruiser 2024 is about to be revealed and the name will be Land Hopper (?!).

Back