• V8!

Votes: 37 32.7%
  • V10!

Votes: 31 27.4%
  • V12!

Votes: 38 33.6%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
4, 6, and 8 cylinders do the job just fine, I see no practical point to having any more. Unless it's in a Tank or in Marine application(s). Is there any underlying advantage to having 10, 12 or even 16? Smoother operation maybe!?

I mean, V10's and V12's are awesome engines, with some pretty amazing exhaust notes, don't get me wrong, but I chose V8.

Last edited:
Can someone tell me what the V in V8, V10, V12. I know the number stands for the amount of cylinders there are but not what the V means.

Did Subaru trademark the Boxer name or something. Because Porsche make the 6 cylinders and they're just called Flat 6. Or did Porsche Trademark flat?

Blaze_409
Did Subaru trademark the Boxer name or something. Because Porsche make the 6 cylinders and they're just called Flat 6. Or did Porsche Trademark flat?

I don't think so because BMW motorcycles use a boxer engine (only 2 cylinders though)

The way it goes is, all Boxers are Flats, but not all Flats are Boxers. :sly:

A true boxer has the cylinders directly opposed to each other, while in the Flat 12 in the Testarossa, the cylinders are staggered like in the typical V configuration. A boxer is still staggered to a small extent though, after all they have to fit on the crankshaft.

Last edited:
More to the point, a flat V has piston pairs that share crankpins, whereas each piston in a Boxer has its own crankpin. Corresponding pistons reach Top Dead Centre simultaneously in a Boxer too.

It's incredible how smaller engines can sound like larger ones when they have somewhat uncommon layouts:

A 90-degree V-twin which sounds similar to a V8

An crossplane inline-4 which sounds like a V8

An inline-6 which sounds similar to a stereotypical "American V8" on idle (until it starts revving :lol:)

And finally, a V12 which sounds like... a V12 :dopey:

The more cylinders the higher the power for the same state of tune.
...And a higher weight. Unless power to weight ratios are decent, aluminum parts on a V8 is the way to go. SBF, 300lbs, 450 ish hp
I still think that they need to put that model V12 in a 60s era model f1 car.

Oh dear....

...And a higher weight. Unless power to weight ratios are decent, aluminum parts on a V8 is the way to go. SBF, 300lbs, 450 ish hp

Yeah, weight and psychical size will hinder it, but in the same state of tune it should have slightly higher power.

Oh dear....

What? :P
Put it in a replica of this.
Ferrari-312-67-F1_6.jpg

It wouldn't actually sound too far off.

And, music.
And at 4:22.

I4 like the S2000.
Also it is not what you drive, but how you drive.

A n00b like Bieber will crash a V10 and would lose to anyone of us in a real race on the track where all driving aids are turned off(ABS, Traction control, ect) if we were to drive a I4 or V6.

There are 3 vehicles in my driveway. All with Ford V8s. 2 5.4Ls and a 4.9L. V8s all the way!

I've also got a grandpa with an F150 5.4 V8, Mustang 4.6L V8, F250 7.3 V8, and F250 300 ci. (4.9) I6.

V10 definately!!! Mainly because I started watching F1 in the V10 era and the sound was amazing but there are also so many great sounding road cars with that high pitched scream that cant be copied.
A few cars that are good examples of what I mean is the Carrera GT, BMW M5 and Lexus LFA..

Personally I love the V10. it has a very nice sound and it has just the right amount of power.

Which type of engine is your favorite and why?
V10 is the best performance option, cars including the Huracan, Viper, and even some formula 1 cars used them. I love the 5.2L V10 with a supercharger and that sound is the love of my life.

V10 is the best performance option, cars including the Huracan, Viper, and even some formula 1 cars used them.
The V10 in F1 was a compromise. More power than the V8s of the time, and shorter than a V12.

I love the 5.2L V10 with a supercharger and that sound is the love of my life.
If that's the case, why do you have a V12 Countach as your avatar?

Last edited:
p78
Since this thread got bumped, how about I5?
Older petrol I5 Volvo engines sounded so good!

Still, for me, there is only one winner. Linear torque, "smoothness", instant gas reaction and sound coming from naturally aspirated, huge displacement V8 is unbeatable. I miss my 2 previous V8 cars, even though my current turbo V6 is slightly faster (and around 3x more fuel efficient).

Latest Posts

Back