VW Tiguan: Official News, $22K Start

• Thread starter YSSMAN
  • 59 comments
I like the crossover, but the problem is that the Jetta Wagon is on the way. I think I could make do with fewer inches between my ass and the road, and I would begin to question the extra space the Tiguan offered by comparison to the wagon as well.

However, the idea of a 2.0T powered Tiguan with the 6-speed DSG and a "sporty" suspension is quite appealing in a Mazda CX-7 sort of way...

Ummmmm, yeah? Your point? Its always been that way...

I'll be taking my Jetta Wagon in 2.0T trim with the sport package and have the optional 6-speed DSG as well. I suppose I'd go with the "Campanella White" exterior and tan interior as well. That way it would surely be a sleeper, just like it's predecessor, the MKIV Jetta GLS Wagon.

Red Exterior and Black Leather for me 2.0 T engine and a sunroof

And i only said that because YSSMAN thought a small wagon would get in the way of a larger SUV.

Yeah, that was my point. Given the similar carry capacity between the Jetta Wagon and Tiguan (hypothetically speaking of course), it would pretty much come down to how high of a ride you would want, and the option of AWD. Quite frankly, the combination of snow-tires and ESP on the Jetta would be sufice to for the most part negate the "need" for the torsen differential on the Tiguan.

*BUMP* Official News from Los Angeles:

LLN.com
Volkswagen has unveiled its compact 4×4, the Concept Tiguan, at the Los Angeles Auto Show, and has announced that the production units will be delivered to customers by the end of next year.

At 4.4 metres long, 1.85 m wide and 1.69 m high, it is very similar in size to the Touran compact MPV (4.4 m, 1.8 m, 1.6 m). Klaus Bischoff, who was responsible for the exterior design of the car said: "It was very important for us to have the car appear powerful and muscular. For us that was a higher priority than anything else. An off-roader needs a long hood and an upright position. That lends the vehicle self-assuredness and power."

Under the hood is a BLUETEC diesel engine developed in partnership with Audi and Mercedes-Benz. This 'Clean TDI' will comply with the strictest emissions standards in the world and is one of the first components of the BLUETEC offensive.

112820061545282800.jpg

112820061545292800.jpg

(High Res Photos Here)

...I'm impressed. It looks as though the 2008 Saturn VUE will have some very tough competition from Volkswagen, hell, even Acura may have a problem with it's own RDX if the folks in Wolfsburg use the high-power 2.0T in here. We all know they are going to build it, the interior shot pretty much confirms it. I haven't seen so many production parts in a "concept" since the Enclave debut last year, so VW can call it a "concept" all they want... We know they are going to build it...

*BUMP* Official News from Los Angeles:

...I'm impressed. It looks as though the 2008 Saturn VUE will have some very tough competition from Volkswagen, hell, even Acura may have a problem with it's own RDX if the folks in Wolfsburg use the high-power 2.0T in here. We all know they are going to build it, the interior shot pretty much confirms it. I haven't seen so many production parts in a "concept" since the Enclave debut last year, so VW can call it a "concept" all they want... We know they are going to build it...

Now that works. Much better than the Vue, much better than most other concepts this year. Ironically, it has some features that look, at best, strange on other cars: the rear from the Tribeca, for example. What makes it work here? It's not as extreme, and the rest of the car was desinged by the same person, not a random comittee.

My guess is it will be marketed as an Audi. The lights and mirrors say Audi. The grille screams it. (Based on the pics in the beginning)

That orange thing looks a lot more like a volkswagen. I want one. That orange one probably looks very close to the prod. version, I do not think they can do much more to the outside.

Right, It'll be the Volkswagen Tiguan. All VWs of late have had strong Audi design cues, especially the Passat, with its "Is it a Passat or an A6?" front end.

More official news from VW:

LLN.com
The Volkswagen Tiguan was only unveiled in concept form last week, but a production model will arrive in showrooms in less than a year, VW spokesman Steve Keyes told Automotive News. A gasoline version will arrive in fall 2007, while a diesel model will go on sale even later in the year.

Like the Tiguan concept, the production crossover will make use of a Bluetec diesel engine, developed in cooperation with Mercedes. The Tiguan will be the only small SUV offered with a diesel engine in the United States.

Very interesting indeed. I'm interested to hear how it will be priced against the the Acura RDX, and if a model spurred by the 2.0T will be any match for the Acura whatsoever. But it is diesel power that I'm most interested in, and being the only model on market, I wouldn't be surprised to see that force either Honda or Toyota's hand with the possibility of more efficient hybrid versions of their crossovers, or new diesel models altogether.

But it is diesel power that I'm most interested in, and being the only model on market, I wouldn't be surprised to see that force either Honda or Toyota's hand with the possibility of more efficient hybrid versions of their crossovers, or new diesel models altogether.

IIRC, Honda is already purported to be planning a North American release of the CR-V 2.2L diesel in '09 or so.

I have heard that as well, so I'm very interested in it as well. Granted, the CR-V automatically loses with that horribly disfigured front face, but I'll give it a look once they go on-sale.

Super Zombie Revival! Its back!

Autoblog
The new Tiguan cute-ute factored big into Volkswagen's press conference at this year's LA show. And no wonder, as Vee-Dub is hoping its new small sport-ute sells big, especially in the all-important US market, and especially in California where nobody needs a truck yet everybody has one (and parks it next to their Prius).

Volkswagen of America revealed that Tiguan is priced to sell with a starting MSRP of just $22,490. With just two sport-utes in its lineup, that gives VW a huge price-point spread that stretches all the way up to $68,320 for the bigger Touareg 2 with the jumbo-jet-pulling V10 TDI.

Yes, very nice... I like it a lot. Actually seems "responsible" in terms of size and performance, and the $22K sticker price? Well, that makes me forget all about something called a V-U-E...

Meh.

That is a great starting point. And I'm sure it fits well with the apparent VW theme of providing cars of far better quality for the same price. But the looks are atrocious IMO. The Audi headlights, flat hood and tall greenhouse just don't go very well. And that rear would probably be better suited to a minivan or R-class type vehicle from Korea. And what is the deal with the lip sticking out of the bumper?

What engines are going to be offered? I would guess it'll start with the 2.0T?

I say it would sell and probably quite well if it actually looked nice.

I can't really tell from the images, but I really hope this is about the size of the MK 1 or 2 Rav4's. The new one isn't even "compact" any more, and I never found the old ones (or the CR-V's of the same vintage) particularly offensive.

A solid "meh" from me too, though.

It shouldn't be much larger than the Golf in overall outside dimensions given that it shares its base with it. I mean, sure, its an "SUV" of sorts, but it should be that big. I want to say its about the same size as the Saturn VUE/Opel Antara, maybe a shade smaller, but certainly much smaller by comparison to the new Rav4 and CR-V.

It shouldn't be much larger than the Golf in overall outside dimensions given that it shares its base with it. I mean, sure, its an "SUV" of sorts, but it should be that big. I want to say its about the same size as the Saturn VUE/Opel Antara, maybe a shade smaller, but certainly much smaller by comparison to the new Rav4 and CR-V.

Is the VUE/Antara smaller than the RAV4 and CR-V in North America?

Here in Europe an Antara (just a rebadged VUE as far as I know) is the biggest of these 4. An Antara is 5 inches longer than a Tiguan and has a 4 inches longer wheelbase.
The RAV4 and CR-V have almost the same dimensions as the Tiguan, apart from the total length of the CR-V which is about 4 inches longer (4.52m against 4.43m).

If you're correct I can write down all the dimensions of these cars, but I think you made a rare false estimation here ;)

I had thought that the VUE was indeed the smaller of the trio, but I may also be mistaken. I know both the RAV4 and CR-V grew in size for this generation, but I can't say that I've seen all three sitting together. Based on seeing them all separately, it always seemed that the new VUE/Antara was smaller...

Must have been the shape that does make it look smaller then, or the colour ;)

Well, we now know what the third-gen Tiguan for the US will look like. It will be called Tayron in Europe and other markets, and will be positioned as a larger vehicle than the EU-spec Tiguan.

1708546286664.png

1708546300982.png

1708546315006.png

It does look quite large. Hard to imagine it will still be priced below $30k. Oddly resembles the Hyundai Tucson from some angles and Toyota Grand Highlander from others. Other than that, puts me to sleep.

Last edited:
Looks wack. That practical joke arrow through the rear tyre doesn't help.
The whole car reminds me of something GM(not gm) would have designed.

Back