Weekly Challenge Discussion Thread

• Thread starter GlockPants
  • 2,746 comments
This weeks cars.
Gran Turismo® 7_20240419061454.png

Good races this week and a good chance to bring out some classics.👍

The Kei Race was a toughly one didn't pass the leader till lap 5.:)

Fuji was a cake walk for a 983hp gr10 and plus on lap 7 heavy rain came and we all know how much the AI loves to drive in the rain with slicks.:lol:

And my reward for the 6* parts ticket stuff was.
Not bad.
Gran Turismo® 7_20240419061521.jpg

weekly-challenge-202404w3-cars.jpg

First drive in all these cars except the TT. Yay!

Leguna Seca - Giulia - I really enjoyed driving this car here. Only finished in P2, though, between two other Giulias.

Tokyo Expressway - TTS '14 - I should really get some more TTs. This '14 is a highly-tuned monster that I used for WTC 600 races. Totally too much for this race. Easy win, plus CRB.

Willow Springs - Beat - Took two attempts. Tried the first one stock, besides the required tire upgrade to CS tires. It was a real struggle to get past any cars. Of course, it didn't help that went off the track a couple times. Finished in a disappointing P10. Went to the tuning shop and added a mid-RPM turbo and all the sports-level stuff (computer, air filter, brakes, suspension, weight reduction). With the modifications, the car was much more competitive. I took the win, but it was still a challenge. Fun race.

Catalunya - 959 - Upgraded to SS tires, but otherwise left it stock. I remember this being a tough race to win even with a tuned car, so my aim was just P3 for the checkmark. Got it. The 959 was a fun drive there.

Fuji - 908i - Started on RMs. Rain started on lap 3, so I pitted for IMs and fuel. I finished P2, but probably would have easily won had I respected a yellow flag and avoided picking up 18 seconds in penalties. Oh, well. Good fun, and I got the checkmark.

Parts ticket gave me a driveshaft for an AMG GT '20 (9000 credits).

Last edited:
Decided to get the horrid Fuji out the way first. Wheeled out the Porsche 919 for a planned no-stopper on hards (FM4). The weather gods decided to thwart my plan and sent heavy rain around lap 6. Restarted to keep the same conditions and just went flat out FM1 until it got wet enough to pit. AI was useless as ever so I won at a canter.

This was on normal difficulty on my main account. I do have a backup one to redo the "career" on hard difficulty but I've never managed to win this particular race on that one, despite many attempts in all weather.

It has the full list of cars. You can apply some filters where needed. You can then just select the database to pull up a random car from the car list.

For example:

View attachment 1347928
View attachment 1347929
Did it, thanks a lot! I'll be driving:

• Lightweight K-Cup: Copen
  • Sunday Cup Classic: 1958 Corvette C1
  • Porsche Cup: 911 964
  • Gr.1 Challenge: Toyota TS050

My likely picks for this week’s challenges:

Sunday Cup Classic - Ferrari 500 Mondial
Special Event - Audi TT (2nd-gen)
Lightweight K Cup - Suzuki Jimny
Porsche Cup - Porsche Taycan
Gr.1 Prototype Series - Hyundai N2025 VGT (Gr.1)

EDIT: I bet that for next week’s set, it’ll feature a new round of the VGT Trophy since the Skoda VGT is coming.

Last edited:
So the tourist trophy this week is a compelling options to get some quick credits. I did the first race with a TTS '09 with just sport tires. Just to drive it as intended.

I am not good at driving high powered street cars but my R8 swapped Fully upgrade + nitrious TTS 20014 I just did 5:41 total race time with out optimization. I am sure someone can get sub 5:30. but 105k with CRB in about 5:30 is not bad.

Last edited:
Here's my last race from the previous weeks selection.

Peugeot RCZ - Daytona - WTC 800

This race is kinda dumb. There needs to be a BoP applied in these WTC events, or something that makes car selection more straight forward and the competition closer. I guess it doesn't matter much because it's another "chase the rabbit" race. I chose the GR3 Corvette (732PP on RM) for this one at first, but saving enough fuel to last 5 laps means the AI runs away from you on the long stretches here, and you end up passing in the infield and bus stop, only to be passed by again and have them slow you through the corners. Irritating.

I then chose the RCZ (774PP on RM with mid-rpm turbo upgrade) and even at fuel trim 4 it comfortably passes everything on the grid, which makes for the opposite effect of the Vette in that the challenge is gone now.

We shouldn't have to put work into making a race competitive, and it's often not worth the effort to find a car and setup the "accurately" comes close to a fair BoP.

On the plus side, I do like Daytona a lot more than I used to, so this one wasn't so bad. I just always hope for battles that rarely come.

Why don't you try out variable FM? Used a Gr.3, I set FM to 6 or 5 for the majority of the track. I switch to 2 or 3 FM on the main straight. Mid-speed through the remainder of the track while having better top speed at the flats.

All races done on hard, except the last one at Fuji because screw that! :P

Sunday Cup: HONDA S800 - Stock car. Very pretty, very small and a very slow car compared to the DS and Giulia. I had to be quick at turns 6 and Corckscrew, otherwise I would be too far from the leaders to have a chance to win. Pretty close race, as you can see from the screenshot:
hSauZEX.png

Audi Special Event: I tried all 3 TT's. The '09 and '14 are quick and easy to drive. I have a very simplistic tune for them: sports filters, ECU and suspension, with the 09' using sports exhaust just because of the sound. Quite an easy race as long as the car can reach 260 km/h on the main straight. Also easy to win if the race leaders are using the '03 model, because this car by default is racing with comfort tires.
KaOQehj.png
Unfortunately the best I could do with the '03 without permanent upgrades was a 3rd place. Even tried with low/medium turbo, but still no good. However, I really wanted to try a strategy (inspired by @BWM) I used quite a while ago to win Tokyo 600 with low powered cars using Racing Hard tires. It can be fun, engaging and kinda funny.
So my TT have Full ECU, sports filter, sports brake pads and Racing Hard Tires. It's total suffering when the car is struggling to reach 250 km/h on the main straight, but it's a very pleasant drive after that. Still not an easy race, but very fun! Not gonna lie: I had to block 2nd place at the last lap, entering the tunnel :lol:
5jAc50n.png

K-Cup: I think we all have a tuned k-car because of the Human Comedy mission, right? And this tuned little car can easily win any world circuits events, so this time I decided to try something new: the Jimny!
RBQTuS1.png
That green little-big cute car is my dirt-spec Jimny. Extremely high suspension so you can imagine the absolute rollecoster and nauseating experience that is driving this car with bumper or hood cam. Not very good for tight corners, but it does have decent acceleration. Got 1st place at the beggining of the last lap.

Porsche and Gr.1 events: I don't have much too say about them. The Porsche event can be a little tough because 1st and 2nd place start with a big gap and they're using modified cars, but as long as your Porsche can reach 260 km/h at the end of turn 1 you should be good. Using any GT3 RS is guarantee victory.
Fuji is a nice track because of dynamic weather, but I don't think the races we have there are fun. For this one I changed difficulty to normal and won the race with a random Gr.1 car.

All races done on hard, except the last one at Fuji because screw that! :P

Sunday Cup: HONDA S800 - Stock car. Very pretty, very small and a very slow car compared to the DS and Giulia. I had to be quick at turns 6 and Corckscrew, otherwise I would be too far from the leaders to have a chance to win. Pretty close race, as you can see from the screenshot:
hSauZEX.png

Audi Special Event: I tried all 3 TT's. The '09 and '14 are quick and easy to drive. I have a very simplistic tune for them: sports filters, ECU and suspension, with the 09' using sports exhaust just because of the sound. Quite an easy race as long as the car can reach 260 km/h on the main straight. Also easy to win if the race leaders are using the '03 model, because this car by default is racing with comfort tires.
KaOQehj.png
Unfortunately the best I could do with the '03 without permanent upgrades was a 3rd place. Even tried with low/medium turbo, but still no good. However, I really wanted to try a strategy (inspired by @BWM) I used quite a while ago to win Tokyo 600 with low powered cars using Racing Hard tires. It can be fun, engaging and kinda funny.
So my TT have Full ECU, sports filter, sports brake pads and Racing Hard Tires. It's total suffering when the car is struggling to reach 250 km/h on the main straight, but it's a very pleasant drive after that. Still not an easy race, but very fun! Not gonna lie: I had to block 2nd place at the last lap, entering the tunnel :lol:
5jAc50n.png

K-Cup: I think we all have a tuned k-car because of the Human Comedy mission, right? And this tuned little car can easily win any world circuits events, so this time I decided to try something new: the Jimny!
RBQTuS1.png
That green little-big cute car is my dirt-spec Jimny. Extremely high suspension so you can imagine the absolute rollecoster and nauseating experience that is driving this car with bumper or hood cam. Not very good for tight corners, but it does have decent acceleration. Got 1st place at the beggining of the last lap.

Porsche and Gr.1 events: I don't have much too say about them. The Porsche event can be a little tough because 1st and 2nd place start with a big gap and they're using modified cars, but as long as your Porsche can reach 260 km/h at the end of turn 1 you should be good. Using any GT3 RS is guarantee victory.
Fuji is a nice track because of dynamic weather, but I don't think the races we have there are fun. For this one I changed difficulty to normal and won the race with a random Gr.1 car.
Just out of interest, what's been your lap times ( run times ) with the S800 on Laguna Seca ?

Just out of interest, what's been your lap times ( run times ) with the S800 on Laguna Seca ?
1st lap: 2:11.524
2nd lap: 2:07.503

This time it wasn't enough to win. Got 2nd place, 0.2s ahead of 3rd (DS Pallas), but 7.4s behind Giulia. This Giulia started in 3rd and quickly went to 1st after the 4th corner. Looking at my first race, I did had some luck with the red Giulia being stuck behind the blue Pallas for an entire lap.

Had some time today to do a few of the weeklies.

Your mom's Corolla circa 1987 - Laguna Seca

The Sunday Cup at Laguna prompted me to use a factory stock Corolla styled to look like if it were a commuter in late eighties California. It's sitting on terrible comfort hard tires to keep it under 350 which provide no traction, so it wasn't breaking any records here, but it's a fun car no matter what. Wish these races were longer than 2 laps.

Honda S660 - Willow Springs

The S660 was a breath of fresh air after the TT race. I forget what's done to it, but it's a little more potent than stock and handles pretty well on CS tires. Tempted to put the K-series in one of these because the chassis can likely handle a lot more power.

I also did the TT race a couple times, but I just don't like the way any of the TTs drive with their Haldex AWD systems. It gives them the worst traits of FWD and AWD cars, mixes them together, and makes a car drive terribly. Extremely twitchy and oversteery on braking, understeer on throttle, weird shifts in power, never settled in a corner... they just don't float my boat.

Another week of completing the races in one setting. Didn’t mean to. Started prototype race in the LM55 Gr.1 car to see if it was viable and ended up completing it P1. FM 6 on RM’s, no pit needed with a dry track. Daily ticket was loaded with goodies but I got the 30K. See you next week.

I think I'm done with this week's. Not really my thing plus some meh repeats. Skipping Fuji as it takes awhile to figure a car out. So here's what we had for this week:
My 124hp turbo Jimny. Yikes! All the body roll and twitchiness in the world. Barely beat Gallo. Seen here just overtaking him.
WeatherTech Raceway Laguna Seca_ (2) by 2cam16, on Flickr
My usual Honda S660 for these races easily dominated. Seen here overtaking Igor for a win of around 7 secs.
Willow Springs International Raceway_ Streets of Willow Springs__1 by 2cam16, on Flickr
My engine swapped TT with an easy 47 sec. win. It hit 200mph on the straight.
Tokyo Expressway - East Clockwise_ (2) by 2cam16, on Flickr
Didn't enjoy this race the first time(Carranza issues) and when I won it I thought I was done with it until it reappeared on this week's list. lol Tried it with the 959 as I didn't want to drive the car I won it with previously. Only got second because of stupid Carranza and his AI impossible driving. Seen here on one of my many slides. lol
Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya GP Layout No Chicane_ by 2cam16, on Flickr

1st lap: 2:11.524
2nd lap: 2:07.503

This time it wasn't enough to win. Got 2nd place, 0.2s ahead of 3rd (DS Pallas), but 7.4s behind Giulia. This Giulia started in 3rd and quickly went to 1st after the 4th corner. Looking at my first race, I did had some luck with the red Giulia being stuck behind the blue Pallas for an entire lap.
What made me curious is, I used a very slow car too at 330 PP ( will post later ... ) with lap times 2.05 and 2.01 on average which was enough to win with a gap of 4 or 5 seconds to the second place car. The stock S800 is about 270 PP ( am I right ? ) so it's interesting to see how slow / low you can go and still get first. Well done, mate. 👍

Last edited:
Not a bad run this time:
  • Sunday Cup Classic - GT40 🔰
  • Tourist Trophy - TTS '09 🔰
  • Lightweight K Cup - Suzuki Jimny 🔰
  • Porsche Cup - Carrera GT 🔰
  • Gr. 1 Prototypes - Audi R18 TDI '11
Rewards:
  • 10k from 4-Star Daily yesterday
  • 30k from 4-Star Daily today
  • Bore-Up S for TT Coupe '03

Races 1, 2, 3 are don and won, used full stock cars ( more or less ) everywhere. All I usually do as a first step is buy wheels and body parts that I like, mount a power restrictor and the possibility to add weight.
It's been a Honda Civic '97 at Laguna Seca that I massively detuned by adding 150 kg, reducing power output to 70 % and using CH tires. 331 PP. Sounds horrible :lol:, that's been perfect though for close races on a track I love.
For the Tokyo event I bought the TTS Coupe '14 which is the best of the eligible cars imo. However, if you use it in stock form, this race isn't easy at all as most of the other cars got upgraded and force you to fight from the start to the finish line.
The Kei car race has been a real pleasure - love the track, love the Copen '02 :D. And I love going "pedal to the metal" ... Isn't it great cutting through that final sector while the AI desperately tries to keep four wheels on the tarmac ?

Gran Turismo™ 7_20240420123125.jpgGran Turismo™ 7_20240419190338.jpg
A lot of time to be gained through T6

Gran Turismo™ 7_20240420143908.jpgGran Turismo™ 7_20240420135618.jpg
Challenging Drumont

Gran Turismo™ 7_20240420170310.jpgGran Turismo™ 7_20240420160443.jpg
The works driver of Daihatsu Germany takes the lead

That's it for now, got a Porsche race-ready in my garage ! :cheers:

Last edited:
Finished the challenge last night. Used the Tomahawk S at Fuji got a monsoon around lap 6. I pitted and dropped to 14th but thanks to the rain I got first by the 8 lap. Took the 604 for the Porsche race, a swapped Beat to Willow Springs. I only won by 5 seconds because there a lot of unintentional drifting and what not🤣. I bought a 2012 TT for the Turista Trophy and ran it stock. Finally I was ready to be done I used the Lambo VGT for the Sunday Cup.

I used these for this week.

18efcc56b6f38-screenshotUrl~2.jpg

I hadn't used the Mini since the first Cafe Menus. I managed 3rd and moved on.

The TT required some light upgrades to get 2nd. The enemy cars just have way too much top end to finish with a stock car.

I used the recommended car for the Kei cup. Took a couple tries to get the hang of how to be quick in that Honda. P2, I think.

Porsche Cup in the Special TT 918. Easy win.

Tomahawk easily took P1 after a very wet race.

Parts ticket gave me a turbo for the '17 GTR.

Started the weeklies.

Sunday Cup Classic @ Laguna Seca

Did it with the 1958 C1 Corvette as decided by kudosprime (I like this random thing). Stock car, made mincemeat of the opposition for an easy CRB victory. Forgot to snap a picture, my head today is somewhere else. Parts ticket was Titanium connecting rods and pistons for the Citroen GT Road Car, which I own but haven't ever driven.

Lightweight K-Cup @ Streets of Willow Springs

The designated car was the Copen, which was a first drive for me. So I Praiano'd it and took on the challenge, it was fun despite me hating any Willow Springs layout with all my being. Lost the CRB because I lost concentration and had a gravel excursion, but won the race. Not without pushing Fraga off though, no contact but still...

20970949278954173.jpg

Porsche Cup @ Catalunya

For this, the chosen car was the 964 Carrera RS which is also one of my Le Mans grinding cars. So I copied the setup, put in on SM tires, and adjusted the ballast until I hit 650pp. Race looked like an overkill as I was passing everyone without a sweat, until I hit two walls: Blaszan in his 996 GT3 and my usual incapability of staying focused (honestly starting to think I have ADHD or something). Lap 3 was a disaster, I catched up regardless, passed him on the main straight at the end of lap 4, made a mistake and finished P2.

20970393561180276.jpg

Got the 200k and the daily 3* ticket gave me a miserable 5k. Gonna do the Audi race and the Gr.1 the following days.

Last edited:
I just don't like the way any of the TTs drive with their Haldex AWD systems. It gives them the worst traits of FWD and AWD cars, mixes them together, and makes a car drive terribly. Extremely twitchy and oversteery on braking, understeer on throttle, weird shifts in power, never settled in a corner... they just don't float my boat.
Well now, that explains why I hate the TTs, and find them so difficult to tune. I completely agree with you!

Laguna ought to have stipulated pre 1979 to add a spot of interest.
Tokyo is always interesting and the Audi TT's offer a huge variance in performance.
Fiji should have been red flagged in my opinion so much rain and the chance of meeting someone at lethal closing speeds in these group one machines is pretty high especially as the AI seems to think you can drive on a flooded circuit on slicks.
Willow springs in the K cars a hoot, proof that you can have a blast in something going less than 150mph.
Barca in a Porsche .......

Last edited:
Back