Weekly Challenge Discussion Thread

• Thread starter GlockPants
  • 2,909 comments
Is it me or do the GR1 events ruin the weekly challenges? I loved every other event this week but still haven't even run more than two laps with the 950 race. It's just a drag most times these days. Moar road cars plz. 😂
I actually enjoy Gr.1 races. The Fuji stuffs are hard, but I've decided to spent more time on that specific course to explore the lines and try out multiple strategies. It is actually quite enjoyable TBH.

Is it me or do the GR1 events ruin the weekly challenges? I loved every other event this week but still haven't even run more than two laps with the 950 race. It's just a drag most times these days. Moar road cars plz. 😂
They haven't been too bad. I initially had issues at GVH but I started to slow down a bit when I was going into turns and it was fine. If they have a Gr event at Alsace or Willow Springs I would definitely agree with you as I hate those tracks with a passion

I'm glad I'm not the only one starting to dislike the Gr.1 races. I haven't completed them all in the "regular career" so this was my first attempt at GV.

Who thought up this abomination of a race? Start 40 seconds behind a leader running a no-stop strategy on a HORRENDOUS track for a car like this? Great recipe to bring out the Super Formula.

I did find that downforce is part of the problem (seems pretty high stock and I couldn't help but feel the drag was killing my speed), but I still don't have the pace in these cars yet.

I guess I mean that mostly they've been pretty decent events with a few exceptions, other than (I don't have the data, it just feels like) too many GR1 races. I guess I'm probably just being a curmudgeon. I don't hate them they just feel a bit boring. Maybe I'm not good enough with them. That's completely possible.

I guess I mean that mostly they've been pretty decent events with a few exceptions, other than (I don't have the data, it just feels like) too many GR1 races. I guess I'm probably just being a curmudgeon. I don't hate them they just feel a bit boring. Maybe I'm not good enough with them. That's completely possible.
Fair points. I wasn't even singling you out, I noticed a few people saying "forget it" and going straight to the SF or the X2019 like I did.

The Gr.1 race at Daytona a while back was fine. GV and Fuji are just....ugh. WTC 900 at Autopolis is another one I do not enjoy.

We've also discussed PD's somewhat poor shuffling of the events in this thread. I think we've had 3 of the 6 total Gr. 1 races in the last handful of weeks.

Fair points. I wasn't even singling you out, I noticed a few people saying "forget it" and going straight to the SF or the X2019 like I did.

The Gr.1 race at Daytona a while back was fine. GV and Fuji are just....ugh. WTC 900 at Autopolis is another one I do not enjoy.

We've also discussed PD's somewhat poor shuffling of the events in this thread. I think we've had 3 of the 6 total Gr. 1 races in the last handful of weeks.
Agree! I liked Daytona. That was a fun one. It's a good short track for that class of car. It fit well what they are doing with the weeklies. Again, I'm not trying to complain too hard, I'm a regular participant in this thread and really like that the weeklies are a thing. There have been some absolutely awesome events since they started, and I'm going to win this one as well, even though it's not super fun. 🍻

Dang, I thought it was the only one! Although I am still a big fan of GR3-4, GR1 doesn't really do it for me either, and neither does GR2 for that matter.

I see a GR1 race come up and get bummed out about it, though some have proven to be fun. Racing GR1 at GV also just seems strange because it's not really a "circuit" anymore, it's two-lane black-top. Not the ideal visual setting for crazy downforce cars.

Like you said, the problem isn't winning, it that these races just aren't that fun to me. They are almost always won due to strange AI pit strategies (a bunch of times I've been sad about the AI pitting on the last lap when there was a battle to be had), AI that doesn't present a challenge, or any number of non-racing strangeness not involving actual race-craft. Then on the other hand there are cases where the gaps to the lead are crazy and it takes everything to get a win (Fuji...). Then it takes effort just to find a car that won't be so OP that you blow everyone's doors off while avoiding picking cars that aren't competitive at all. I realize a lot of races are like this, but these fast classes seem to exacerbate the symptoms.

I'll still probably take a stab at it, maybe in the Nissan R92 or something else that's been fun in the past. That ticket could net a worthwhile prize car.

Last edited:
My biggest hangups with the Gr.1 Races is the lack of performance I seem to get from the Gr.1 cars.

Compared to the Gr.4 or Gr.3 races, I can win with a stock set up and good tire/pit strategy in any of those cars in those categories.

In Gr.1 I only seem to win if I'm in some Gr.1 VGT, SF or RBX2019. I can't get anywhere with the Toyota GR010, Audi R18, Peugeot 908 etc. And the Gr.C cars struggle in the turns compared to the other cars in the class.

Ι am done with this 💩 race of GR.1...
5 tries.... 4th the best result..

Cant Do This Seth Meyers GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

Strike. I've completed the WCs yesterday. Gonna start with a quote :

Me heading to the special event having not read the description and having just completing the Clubman 550 in a Honda Civic

Bye Bye Goodbye GIF
You'll miss something, believe me. This race is different.

It's been mentioned here before, the Civic Special is what racing should be. The fact alone that you can see the leading car when the race begins, is giving me a different mindset ( so to speak ) and pushing the best of my race craft. Enjoyed this one very much !
Used the stock Civic T.C. to really be on a par with the field for that bit of extra fun. Lost my car through Spoon at my first attempt, the next one brought the win.

Gran Turismo™ 7_20240428150835.jpgGran Turismo™ 7_20240428144058.jpg
Side by side racing with the AI has actually been possible.

As for the Gr.1 event ... I'm so glad I'm NOT THE ONLY ONE ! :lol:

Like for the most of you it's not that I don't win these races, I've won them all so far and I only needed one attempt here, the point is they've never been sheer fun. I'm not good enough for these super fast cars, simple as that, lacking skill, experience, confidence. It takes too long ( for my liking ) until I get to that point when the driving gets flawless. Guess these events will always be a mixed bag of feelings to me.

I've used a tuned LM55 Gr.1 on RM tires, running on FM3 at race start, FM6 on the two final laps for a no stop race. I got into the lead at the end of lap 8 and could establish a comfortable gap between me and Gallo.

Gran Turismo™ 7_20240429193450.jpgGran Turismo™ 7_20240429183307.jpg
Lost control just like that right in front of me.

I've received all prize tickets as always ( if this is still an issue at all ), the car ticket gave me a Toyota VGT.

:cheers:

Last edited:
Strike. I've completed the WCs yesterday. Gonna start with a quote :

You'll miss something, believe me. This race is different.

It's been mentioned here before, the Civic Special is what racing should be. The fact alone that you can see the leading car when the race begins, is giving me a different mindset ( so to speak ) and pushing the best of my race craft. Enjoyed this one very much !
Used the stock Civic T.C. to really be on a par with the field for that bit of extra fun. Lost my car through Spoon at my first attempt, the next one brought the win.
I used a heavily tuned street Civic for my race, it was slower through the corners but much faster on the straights. In made for an interesting back and forth in positions.

easy win and the track finally started to click

That's how it is for me on the long races. Took me a couple attempts to learn the rhythm of the track and the AI paces. I always started out with the mindset to drive better, then always ended up with better strategy and consistency. At the point when you've figured out to win the race with any cars, then you probably learned enough of the track and AI tactics.

The fact alone that you can see the leading car when the race begins, is giving me a different mindset
Exactly, I always grew impatient hunting down the lead car of 20 secs ahead LoL
My best lap record mostly is the lap within 5 seconds of the lead AI.

Decided to wrap up this week's challenges by doing the Gr.1 Prototype Series round at Grand Valley, using the Gr.1-spec Hyundai N2025 VGT. I got a clean P1 by less than five-tenths, using Racing Hards and setting the FM to 6, so I never needed to pit at all. From the six-star car ticket, I got a Red Bull X2014 Standard. Even though it wasn't in a color I would've preferred it in, that's still at least 1m credits right there if I sold it, so that's actually even better than a straight-up 500k credit prize for doing all the races.

Last edited:
I've only been playing the game since late last year, and what a blast it has been so far my 1st Gran Turismo experience!!!
I can say that the Civic challenge in Suzuka is up there in my top 3 of "wow" moments this game has provided me with.

I've run the event 7 times already. I had a heavily tuned EK98 TC in my garage that made easy work of the lineup the first time around, but the packed racing was so fun for my skill level that, after reading some of your comments, I went for the challenge of trying to beat the AI with a stock TC, for which I bought another EK 98 TC car in the LCD. After three consecutive top 5 races I managed to steal a 3rd place result, sweaty hands and all. The top two just in front of me. So much fun!!!! Gaining a position and losing it the next turn around makes you swear in your opponent's language, all while smiling. I really had a great time!!!

Next I tried a EK97 I had tuned to 550PP thanks to JC's tuning shop (the stock TC is 544PP), and boy, what a difference the SM my EK97 has vs the SH tires of the TC make. I could really sneak my way around the turny section with much greater confidence without sliding from one side to the other. Top speed is lower than that of the TC, so I lost my leading position at the beginning of the last lap, right after having climbed there at the last chicane. Finally I regained the lead in the S curves section and kept it till the finish line with barely 1 second gap to the 2nd place runner.

I agree with what others have been saying of the event and the nice little Civics, this type of neck to neck racing is what GT7 should be for the most part of it. It's thrilling and exhilarating!!!

I intend to revisit it again before this WC is over hehehe :D

[Edit] ... and here I am, an hour and a half later, proud winner of the beat-them-with-the-same-car challenge. 😁
I climbed from 3rd to 1st on the last lap. It wasn't pretty but I stood my ground on turn 9 and took the inner line to keep it on the tarmac, which made for satisfying grin of this virtual pilot at the finish lane. 💪🏻
So satisfying! 😅

Last edited:
Finally got second place in the weekly Gr1 race with the SF23, hard tires and FM4 in the first few laps then FM3 for the second half, if you’re better than me at managing it you can increase it to FM1 in the last laps.
Before this I tried the Bugatti VGT Gr1 a couple times but couldn’t finish higher than 4th with FM6.

Finally got second place in the weekly Gr1 race with the SF23, hard tires and FM4 in the first few laps then FM3 for the second half, if you’re better than me at managing it you can increase it to FM1 in the last laps.
Before this I tried the Bugatti VGT Gr1 a couple times but couldn’t finish higher than 4th with FM6.
I did this earlier today. SF23, FM4, and took the lead on the second to last lap with the CRB. Went to FM3 on lap 9, and 1 on the last lap. Easy win by 14sec or so with less than perfect driving, so yeah it's totally possible.

This race is exactly how I thought it would be. I tried it in a stock R92CP and 787B on SH tires and the pack just runs away. I just don't feel like we should have to upgrade GR1 cars to be competitive in their class I guess. It's not really fair that 1000hp evs are in the same class as 500-600hp IC cars.

I don't usually go for OP cars, but I didn't have a lot of time today and I wanted the ticket... which got me a GR3 GTR that I already own. My four star daily ticket gave me a nitrous kit for the Genesis GRB car. A completely useless part... yay!

Race 1 - Jimny XC '18 - not a fan of track, but I know it enough to win it... Got the parts ticket.

18f32fa44c955-screenshotUrl.jpg

Race 2 - Gran Turismo S' 08 - nice race, but I finished second bcs guy in M4 was way ahead.

18f32fa741d37-screenshotUrl.jpg

Race 3 - Z Performance '23 - couldn't get reverse layout in my head and barely finished 3rd. Z has fantastic sound and cockpit, but is pretty hard to drive. Got the 150k ticket.

18f32fac69175-screenshotUrl.jpg

Was trying out different cars in the RBR race and in one race it started raining right after the first turn all the way until the race ended. I didn't know rain was thrown in with these sprint races.

F1500-T for free win my friend! RS tires, Fuel 1, one stop at lap 6 for tires and fuel, should be fairly easy. On hard difficulty
Thanks for the suggestion. It was a really fun in VR. Passed Gallo in the tunnel on the last lap and to my surprise ran out of gas right before the finish line. Won by 4 tenths. I enjoyed it so much I ran another and won by over 12 secs.

Gran Turismo® 7_20240501195908.jpg

Latest Posts

Back