Weekly Challenge Discussion Thread

• Thread starter GlockPants
  • 3,241 comments
Thanks, it's made it a bit better, however the still handles like driving a shed. Typical American trash.

Is there a way to make it not send me off into the dirt if I need to brake and steer at the same time? The offtrack penalty on this track is so high, its game over right away of you go off track.

As you can guess, I dislike American muscle cars that handle like turds, and I don't like this track either. :-(

Edit, got a frustrating and unenjoyable 3rd, so good enough...

I have this car, all I need to do is understand the abbreviations. Getting totally destroyed, I'm doing 1.08s most lap. This is a tough race.

RM? FM3 ?
Racing Medium Tires

Fuel Map 3

... Getting totally destroyed, I'm doing 1.08s most lap. This is a tough race. ...
You should not get "totally destroyed" with 1.08s for most of the laps. This is quick enough to place first as long as you don't pit.

I gave this race another go today, applied Praiano's transmission settings to my stock T. SF23 and tried a slightly different strategy.
I put on RH tires, increased downforce to about 95 %, started on FM3 until lap 5 and then went on with FM2 for the rest of the race.
Lap times certainly are a bit slower on average using the hard compound, what I found great though was they're more consistent along the race to the point that the final lap's been my fastest.
I slowly learn race at that pace, yet I have to admit I start to struggle mentally trying to run consistently fast for 15 laps. :crazy:

Gran Turismo™ 7_20240521174739.jpg

I'm ready for one more try tomorrow ... :D

Gran Turismo™ 7_20240521191023.jpg

:lol:

Last edited:
Still awful. Tried the Audi Quattro and Peugeot 205 and placed really poorly both tines. Running medium tires with fm 1-3 to do a one stop strategy, used the high rpm turbo for the audi and the medium rpm turbo for the Peugeot.

Definitely a skill issue on my end/need to practice this track more but christ, any recommendations would be appreciated lol.
Try the Subaru. I had no problems with it.

Thanks, it's made it a bit better, however the still handles like driving a shed. Typical American trash.

Is there a way to make it not send me off into the dirt if I need to brake and steer at the same time? The offtrack penalty on this track is so high, its game over right away of you go off track.

As you can guess, I dislike American muscle cars that handle like turds, and I don't like this track either. :-(

I have this car, all I need to do is understand the abbreviations. Getting totally destroyed, I'm doing 1.08s most lap. This is a tough race.

RM? FM3 ?
What AI setting do you play on? I play on Normal and 1:08 constant is enough to win the SF race at Road Atlanta

Didn't know this could be changed. Where would I find it?
Not really sure about that but it should be from the game settings menu you can access via the GT logo on the top left. If you never touched it then you're playing on Normal like me, and 1:08 should be enough on a non stop strategy.

I mean I did say it wasn't a complete tune...

Definitely a hint of understeer due to just throwing a tune together and not having time to spend on finessing it,
but it doesn't seem that bad on Hard AI:

Well that's good then! mission accomplished!

Of all the things to find myself hyper fixating on, it was the GrB race.

A WELL DESERVED BEAT DOWN
This was probably the most I've ever restarted a race. I did win in it in the Toyota Celica GT-FOUR, but the restarts and the annoying AI ignited my vindictiveness.

I wanted to see how fast I could go. I noticed the AI Peugeot 205 had god brakes and could carry unreal amounts of speed into Turn 1, so I went with a tuned an extra turbo'ed version of that.

One Stop strategy
  • Racing Medium Tires
  • Fuel Map 1
  • Pit in at the end of lap 5
  • Prepare to drive on completely destroyed tires on Laps 5 and 10

My best run, shown here, was a ~12:35. I want to get into the 12:20s, but I'll need a strategy / track knowledge / tuning breakthrough to do it.

DRIVING NOTES
As much as I'd like to eliminate the oversteer on braking within all these cars via tuning trickery, I saw that my efforts made the cars too stiff off throttle. I accepted that I had to do my braking in a straight line, then wait for the weight to settle before beginning a turn. You can use this behavior to rotate the car, but I kept scrubbing off too much speed and/or falling off the track.

My tune was about trying to neutralize the Peugeot's noticeable push on throttle (and prevent roll-overs!!!).

Fun Fact: The evil curbs + high speeds + the Peugeot's high-ish center of gravity and short wheelbase means you can roll over if you push hard enough! That's why my Anti Roll Bar settings are near max.

If a swapped GrB car is eligible, I'll try those despite the likely horrible fuel economy and worse pit strategy, because this is how I am:
1716332268967.png

The other race I hyper-fixated on was the FR 550PP race at the Blue Moon Tri-Oval. The stupid red Mustang kept starting at or near pole position and just walked away from everyone. How exactly am I supposed to draft people who are 4 seconds ahead of me? I won the race a bunch of times, but it took way more effort than I was expecting.

Also, the PP system apparently hates the car that I chose; great handling, but terrible top speed / acceleration for the class no matter what I do:
Weeklies - 5-20 - Nobody likes the Super Bee.jpg

Of all the things to find myself hyper fixating on, it was the GrB race.

A WELL DESERVED BEAT DOWN
This was probably the most I've ever restarted a race. I did win in it in the Toyota Celica GT-FOUR, but the restarts and the annoying AI ignited my vindictiveness.

I wanted to see how fast I could go. I noticed the AI Peugeot 205 had god brakes and could carry unreal amounts of speed into Turn 1, so I went with a tuned an extra turbo'ed version of that.
That Peugeot is really fast around that track but it’s absolutely insane on the brakes, especially with trail breaking in to the fast bends like T2 and the final turn on to the straight. I was able to get in to the top 5 by the second lap but the moment you get confident, that’s when the rear bites you in the ass.

Race 1 - Camaro Z28 '69 - no matter how good and clean I drive, with stock Z28 I couldn't get more then 3rd position. But it's ok, pass and 100k ticket.

18fa163fd0b54-screenshotUrl.jpg

Race 2 - F-150 Raptor SVT '11 - pretty straightforward, one by one and lead at beginning of lap 3.

18fa164ceae8-screenshotUrl.jpg

Race 3 - Superbird '70 - one make, one sided on my favorite Glen... Got the 200k ticket.

18fa165333443-screenshotUrl.jpg

Last edited:
That Peugeot is really fast around that track but it’s absolutely insane on the brakes, especially with trail breaking in to the fast bends like T2 and the final turn on to the straight. I was able to get in to the top 5 by the second lap but the moment you get confident, that’s when the rear bites you in the ass.
There is basically no trail braking in 205 unless you want a slide. Just thinking about turning while on the brakes... I can only imagine what wheel users are going through. Carrying speed into T2 is definitely a code brown moment.

I struggled the most with Turn 4, 5 and 6. Weird narrow hairpin that shoots you toward a chicane with a vague braking zone, followed by maliciously placed road undulations at the high speed exit before a long straight. That whole section is evil. Special shout-out to the final corner with the hidden racing line. I restarted there a bunch of times, even on laps 8 and 9, because I'd gotten so fed up.

IMO, the Audi Quattro might by the fastest overall for the event. The engine is a bit laggy and the suspension starts out soggy, but It has much better tire wear. It still slides on braking as the other Gr.B cars, but feels more consistent and stable than Peugeot. Though, that's not saying much.

After all this, I understand Big Willow a bit better and kinda like it in a masochistic way, I'd rather drive it than Fuji and Nurb GP, but that's also faint praise :lol:

Try the Subaru. I had no problems with it.
I guess my issue is using the classic actual rally cars instead of the newer fake ones :/

Edit: yeah I love how the 205 handles on dirt but trying to turn and brake at the same time on Willow springs leads to an easy spin out. And the tire wear surprised me my left RM tires were basically completely shot by lap 6.

I might give the Quattro another shot because on paper at least it's one of the better rally cars in this game....

I don't actually mind Fuji too much, Willow Springs is definitely my least favorite in this game lol.

Last edited:
Looks like we'll have a new one-make special event - the Ferrari F40 just showed up in Hagerty's as a special pick.
That would be refreshing and most of us would love it, but PD...

The Dino is in the UCD as a special pick. The F50 has been in the LCD for a while, and the Mclaren F1 and Jaaaag XJ220 are present too.

Best Scenario:
- F40 One Make race

Likely Scenario:
  • Ferrari Circuit Challenge race
  • Hypercar Parade race

That would be refreshing and most of us would love it, but PD...

The Dino is in the UCD as a special pick. The F50 has been in the LCD for a while, and the Mclaren F1 and Jaaaag XJ220 are present too.

Best Scenario:
- F40 One Make race

Likely Scenario:
  • Ferrari Circuit Challenge race
  • Hypercar Parade race
We're getting the F40 in a 1-make race Friday. That matches the recent pattern of older car(s) bound to be featured in Special Events on Friday becoming "special picks" in either the UCD or Hagerty's on Wednesday night/Thursday morning (see the Superbird).

trying to turn and brake at the same time on Willow springs leads to an easy spin out. And the tire wear surprised me my left RM tires were basically completely shot by lap 6.

This is in essence why Willow Springs sucks, and is by far the worst track. It's both low grip and high tyre wear, which makes no sense whatsoever. I wouldn't be upset if it just got deleted from GT8

It's European and has a four in it, but...

View attachment 1357538

This would not be a good week to be hit with the ticket bug. Pretty high-value races too.
That Renault again?! Jeeeez, can't PD get a bit more inventive than the tiny selection of cars they're using as Special Event cars? I mean, there's nearly 500 different cars in this game and there's less than a dozen they're using for these special events and repeating some three times now...

The rough logic seems to be, they pick a set of four cars (992, Model 3, EK Civics, Radical; then Superbird, R4, Urus, Audi TTs) that they then run 3 times each, after exhausting those they pick another set.

The only exception is that one Fiat 500 event at the start, which has pushed their cadence off by a week (why we got the last Civic race late, and we're missing a Urus event from this set).

It's European and has a four in it, but...

View attachment 1357538

This would not be a good week to be hit with the ticket bug. Pretty high-value races too.
Neat! I know I haven’t done that WTC 800 round at Sardegna yet, too.

I’m also more than OK with a six-star car ticket. I’ve found that often times, it gets you a car that’s worth at least 500k credits if you were to sell it, but sometimes it can be a lot more. Like how I once got a free X2014 Standard. Honestly, I might even prefer the car tickets over 500k credits.

EDIT: Oh! And here were my likely picks for each event, too.

Special Event: Renault 4
Schwarzwald League: Porsche Cayman GT4 (with an engine swap!)
Ferrari Circuit Challenge: Ferrari LaFerrari (albeit with some changes to the power/weight, as it’s quite a bit over 700 PP as stock)
Historic Sports Car Masters: Volkswagen Sambabus (with an engine swap, of course)
WTC 800: Chevrolet Corvette C7 Gr.3

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back