What are you listening to? (V)Music 

• Thread starter Sage
  • 31,986 comments
Fairport Convention - Sir Patrick Spens

(check out the fi-iiine looking black mama in the crowd at 2'25")

Last edited:
Duran Duran - Crystal Ship

Shame that didn't make it on Stoned Immaculate. I know that was a late '90s alt rock thing but Duran Duran's cover is better than anything on it.

Fairport Convention - Sir Patrick Spens

(check out the fi-iiine looking black mama in the crowd at 2'25")

So good but man I would have liked to see Richard Thompson playing.

Dickey Betts & Great Southern - In Memory Of Elizabeth Reed. In memory of the Allman Brothers guitarist who passed away this week at the age of eighty.

Dan Toler has a solo at 4'37".

Last edited:
Coldcut - Stop This Crazy Thing

I knew it sounded familiar but I couldn't for the life of me place the background music. Thank goodness for whosampled.com.

Spoilered in case you want to try guessing and show me up.

Turns out Coldcut sampled Super Grit by Trouble Funk who sampled/interpolated Grieg's In the Hall of the Mountain King. Kills me that I couldn't make it out because it sounds so obvious now.

Everyone samples. At least Daft Punk didn’t make a big thing of it 😳

Last edited:
Tonight’s sounds… Ø aka Mika Vainio and the epic Dub Techno album Olento. Incidentally Boomkat have just rereleased this on wax.

Ramsey Lewis Trio - Summer Breeze (Musikladen, 1973)

With Cleveland Eaton on bass and Moe Jennings laying down the beat.

Last edited:
Adriano de Celentano - Prisencolinensinainciusol

"Ever since I started singing, I was very influenced by American music and everything Americans did. So at a certain point, because I like American slang—which, for a singer, is much easier to sing than Italian—I thought that I would write a song which would only have as its theme the inability to communicate. And to do this, I had to write a song where the lyrics didn't mean anything."

Back