What Phone Do You Have?

• Thread starter benzoboy
  • 2,513 comments
The wife has iphone 13 pro max and my son has 14... and they are glued to their hands like they will explode if they put them down, I don't have the latest phone urges and still use my trusty old iphone 7 haha :lol: I also never answer calls I don't know and never use my data as I don't use internet on phone.. my battery lasts days btw, phones are too expensive and too easy for people to annoy me on a whim pffft :P

Yeah I'm a miserable tight fisted old fart.. so what
hehe.gif

I am disappointed they didn't give the Pixel 6 face unlock. The underscreen fingerprint reader on my 6 definitely is relatively slow compared to my previous phone's normal fingerprint reader
Thing is that in "code" they show Pixel 6 and 6P having face unlock. So I am guessing it'll be a "feature" drop in a later update. like some other items that are sett to trickle down to the previous one.
Fingerprint reader yes that could be better in some sense.

Some are saying battery life is much better but under some context it's useless as the person running the test has no sim card in or was in for less than 30 minutes.
Overall I shall keep my 6P and wait for my PW to come.

Thing is that in "code" they show Pixel 6 and 6P having face unlock. So I am guessing it'll be a "feature" drop in a later update. like some other items that are sett to trickle down to the previous one.
Fingerprint reader yes that could be better in some sense.
Yeah, I saw those articles ages ago, but I highly doubt they'll bring it to the 6 to make the 7 more distinct. The 6 Pro and 7 series both have auto focus for the front camera, so that's probably what's keeping them from adding it to the 6 series as well.

At this point, I hope someone makes a Magisk module for the 6 that unlocks it

Last edited:
Yeah, I saw those articles ages ago, but I highly doubt they'll bring it to the 6 to make the 7 more distinct. The 6 Pro and 7 series both have auto focus for the front camera, so that's probably what's keeping them from adding it to the 6 series as well.

At this point, I hope someone makes a Magisk module for the 6 that unlocks it
Strangest part is that it was/is working on the 6P version under the Android QPR from last month. So maybe it will come in a feature drop in March.

Pixel Watch has been shipped.
Shipped UPS this time. Still should be here by 13th or 14th

Got my pixel watch. Overall after setting it up it is good. While some effects are not enabled yet but I think they will at some point.

Last edited:
Got my Pixel 7 yesterday and I know @Shaun was curious about it, but I assume others are too.

In terms of design, it's bigger than my 5 is and it's also quite a bit heavier as well. Like noticeably so while holding it and while I don't mind that, it wasn't something I was really expecting. It's also more square too and even though it has rounded corners, it still feels more like a piece of slate instead of a phone. Overall, I'm not 100% sold on the design, but I'm sure I'll get used to it.

The fingerprint reader is no longer on the back of the phone, which is annoying because it's now on the screen. It was so much easier just to program the reader to my pointer finger and tap it on the back.

The camera is much better though and takes really good pictures in the dark. The flashlight LED is also way brighter too giving it a really good flash along with being a great light in the dark. The display is great, as is the sound quality. Battery life is so-so at the moment, but every Google phone I've had has been like that initially before it "learns" or whatever it does to optimize the battery life. Plus, my work stuff is pretty resource intensive and my pager needs to run constantly, so I'm sure that doesn't help. But it's currently 10:15 and I've been using my phone since about 5:00. The battery is currently sitting around 80% whereas with my 5 it would be probably around 60%.

In terms of design, it's bigger than my 5 is and it's also quite a bit heavier as well. Like noticeably so while holding it and while I don't mind that, it wasn't something I was really expecting. It's also more square too and even though it has rounded corners, it still feels more like a piece of slate instead of a phone. Overall, I'm not 100% sold on the design, but I'm sure I'll get used to it.
I had the same experience when I got the Pixel 6 when upgrading from my OnePlus 6. The heft has been honestly kinda annoying. The sharp corners is also kinda annoying. Holding the phone has been sort of uncomfortable and not something I've ever fully gotten used to even though I've been using my Pixel 6 for a year

Here's what I wrote about the Pixel 6 last year: https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/what-phone-do-you-have.82338/post-13522225

Last edited:
Looking to get a Zenfone 9 once prices have dropped a little - hard to stomach paying over $1k on a flagship that'll only receive 2 years of OS updates.

Moto G7 XT-1962. I've replaced the screen several times and replaced the battery. If it works, why replace it? It's rooted, unlocked, and paid for.

Looks like the Pixel 7 and 7 pro will be on sale come black friday.
$749 for Pixel 7 Pro
$499 for Pixel 7.

Add in a trade in value those will even fall more.

Guess those early adopters are again finding out waiting until Black Friday to order new phones is worth it.

I've got an LG Aristo 2 on T-Mobile, so yes, I've been hit by the "Unfortunately, LG IMS has stopped" bug. Every single LG phone on T-Mobile has it. It pops up every three second. You can swipe it away, but it will just pop up again in three seconds. Considering LG doesn't even make phones any more, I guess it's high time I switched.
I forgot to mention I did replace that LG phone. I got a Motorola moto g pure. I'm not especially impressed, but it's all I can afford right now, so it will have to do. And yes, I've covered it with all the cutest stickers.
52607457162_ff307cec27_w.jpg
52608219244_5028f8478e_w.jpg

Looking to get a Zenfone 9 once prices have dropped a little - hard to stomach paying over $1k on a flagship that'll only receive 2 years of OS updates.
Snagged a 128GB Zenfone 9 over a month ago and finally started using it properly last week, pretty happy with it. The only thing I dislike is the front camera hole, but everything else is great. Feels nice to have a smaller phone again.

I forgot to mention I did replace that LG phone. I got a Motorola moto g pure. I'm not especially impressed, but it's all I can afford right now, so it will have to do. And yes, I've covered it with all the cutest stickers.
View attachment 1220711View attachment 1220712
Nice array of stickers there, :)

We have a Samsung Galaxy S7, which we purchased on Walmart's website back in 2020. It's been great for surfing the web, making phone calls, and looking up directions to places. Sometimes it will freeze up which is annoying but haven't had any major issues with it. They usually last 3-4 years or that's where I read online.

Rocking the Samsung S22 Ultra currently. Got a good deal directly through Samsung a little while ago, they gave me a handsome trade in fee for my cracked S21 Ultra so was a no brained.

It's really nice, it's good in the hand, cameras are excellent, screen is stunning and the overall user experience is pretty good. Much like the S21 Ultra really. I am envious of my wife's Pixel 6 Pro though, something about that phone that I really like, it's quite understated in its user experience but it has an excellent screen and unquestionably one of the best camera out there right now.

Last edited:
I've been using a Samsung Galaxy S9 for over a week now after my Google Nexus 5X (bought December 2016) became a victim to the infamous bootloop of death. Not much to say about the 5X other than it was a decent phone with a superb camera.

Prior to the S9, I've been using Google phones (Nexus 5 followed by Nexus 5X) and noticed they both suffer from a performance drop-off around the one year mark before they have some issue which renders them useless. That put me off buying another Google phone, so I decided to buy last year's flagship Android which was 25% off at the time. Aside from Samsung's bloatware, I love pretty much everything about it! Hopefully it is just as impressive as time goes on. ;)
It has been nearly 4 years since I made the post, so it is time for an update. After around 2 and a half years of use, the colours of the screen had a slightly washed-out look with a yellow tint, but the performance was still serviceable while it was my primary device. I still have the S9 as a spare phone, but it's only useable in really short bursts now given the battery life has diminished significantly.

My main phone since April last year has been an iPhone 13 Pro. With a 120hz screen to complement the camera system, battery life and the seamless iOS experience, that point marked a great opportunity to make the switch to Apple. With that said, I'm still primarily using Google Drive for cloud storage should I feel the need to return to Android in future, but no complaints with my iPhone ownership so far.

Not sure when was the last time I updated here, but I'm now using an iPhone 12 Pro Max. Been on it for more than a year, still good, no reason to upgrade and won't be until at least when the iPhone 15/16 comes out.

I also have a Google Pixel 2 XL which I use for work. It's alright, battery is not good anymore and seems like nobody is brave enough to help me change the battery without possibly cracking the screen.

So over my trip I took my Pixel 5 with me because of well unlimited storage, and well unfortunately the battery started to swell and push the screen away from the lining.
While gaming on the phone was a bit warm I decided to remove my case and saw the separation happening and at lease it was just the start of it and it wasn't like fully bad.
Contacted Google and said they will do a replacement for me.
Not the best way to go about it and well I did make it home and the screen remained in tact while I flew home.

At lease I have my Pixel 6 Pro that I fell back on when I got home.

Still rocking my Samsung A51 and couldnt be happier with it. Does everything I need and I checked yesterday before going to sleep and it was still at 60% battery after spending half day streaming music over bluetooth. And I dropped at least 5 times and never have a scratch on the screen, those soft edge are really making it super durable.

Is it the fastest/best phone, definitely not but it does what I need and is relatively cheap with is all that I ask, I have a samsung S7+ tab for anything that require something with better perf. And a dslr for photo so yeah, perfect phone for me.

Last edited:
So it appears the Pixel fold is going to be about 1,799 USD for the base model (256 GB with 12GB ram)
5.8" front screen 120Hz FHD OLED with a 17.4:9 aspect ratio.
Inside is a 7.6" 120Hz 2208x1840 oled.
Weight is about 283g.
Cameras is an f/1.7 48MP shooter is the main lens on the back, complete with OIS and an 82-degree field-of-view. It's paired with a 10.8MP f/2.2 ultrawide lens and a matching 10.8MP f/3.05 telephoto lens capable of 5x optical zoom and 20x Super Res Zoom. On the front, you'll reportedly find a 9.5MP selfie cam.
Battery said to have "beyond to 24 hours" of life and up to 72 hours with extended battery save.

Edit; It appears that pre-orders will also include the Pixel watch. (Unsure of if it will be BT or LTE version)

Last edited:
IMG_20230422_110913.jpg

(Apologies for the crappy photo, its from my old Tablet)

After many years with my Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge, I finally upgraded to a Samsung Galaxy S21 FE. Arrived yesterday and while the phone deactivation part didn't work (My sister had the same issue), I was able to copy nearly everything from my S7 to it via the Samsung SmartSwitch app (Including all my alarms to my surprise, as well as my MP3 files that were on the Micro SD card). Good to have a Camera that works, though it might be abit before I completely am at grips with HOW well it works :lol: Battery life is a massive improvement, pretty much went through the whole day and still had about 30% left and it seem to charge really quick. In fact, it seems to do everything pretty quickly including updates.

Last edited:
My trusty Pixel 2's battery started to swell and made the screen come up... :scared:So I got a Pixel 5 to replace it a few days ago.
20230424_212434.jpg

Would've really went for a Pixel 6 but I'm needing to save the money. 😅

Something that amuses me is the fact that I feel like I've always had a smartphone, but I think I've only had like five or so. From most to least recent: Pixel 6, Galaxy A8, Xperia Z5 Compact, iPhone 3S... Umm... Maybe I had an iPhone 3 as a hand-me-down from my dad for a bit? I know I've had two iPhones but I'm pretty sure the 3S was the last one I had, maybe it wasn't.

I try to wait until I have a good reason to upgrade, with the Z5C it was that it exploded when I dropped it on a plate and the A8 was quickly upgraded when my son was born because the photos it took of him were awful, the Pixel 6 is by far my favourite though and I'm hoping to get at least four years out of it, hopefully more.

My trusty Pixel 2's battery started to swell and made the screen come up... :scared:So I got a Pixel 5 to replace it a few days ago.
View attachment 1252106

Would've really went for a Pixel 6 but I'm needing to save the money. 😅
Pixel 5 is good. Plus get to keep the benefit of free unlimited photo storage.

Only thing is if you got a refurbished Pixel 5, keep an eye on the battery. As some have started to swell within 2 years of it.
My pixel 5 started to swell when I was in the Philippines, lucky enough Google replaced it, but until then I at lease had a fall back on my daily of the Pixel 6 Pro.

If you would have waited about a week or so later, the announcement of new things including phones (Pixel 7a and Pixel Fold possibly hinting of Pixel 8) could of drove the Pixel 6 price down even further.

Edit:
Pixel 7a has launched at 499. 8 GB Ram and 128 GB Storage.
Pixel fold Pre-order now and set to release next month. 1799 (Plus free pixel watch)
Pixel Tablet (Basically a fancier Google Nest thing) 499 with free charging dock.

Last edited:
I still have the G7 but have moved over to an RFinder B1+(14). It uses first responder bands when they aren't full. It also uses 2 meter, 70cm, and 65cm FM and digital radio modes.
I am a ham and US GMRS operator working in a hospital. Call signs are KI5EDJ and WRDB542. Shoot me a PM here and I'd love to chat via DMR.

Back