When do you think Gran Turismo 7 will be released?

• Thread starter Brainhulk
  • 198 comments

When do you think Gran Turismo 7 will be released?

• Launch title

• Around the time they Sony anounces Playstation 6

Results are only viewable after voting.
Another week passes by with no official PS5 news or launch title details. So it still stands that the only 1st party titles Sony has talked about in any sort of detail (beyond a few paragraphs). Are those known to be releasing after launch - Horizon 2 and Miles Morales.
IIRC, Sony didn't reveal launch details for the PS4 until August at Gamescom. So if anything, we should be expecting a similar timeframe.

That would be something to walk out with a gt7 launch edition console...
I think as they said before we will know the date if they will be 100% sure they will make it.
So lets say the date is 20th of november they will anonce it in september.

The fact is that if Gran Turismo 7 releases on either 2021 or 2022, it'll be more complete. Which is a great strategy, especially considering your opinion that Gran Turismo 7 would just be Gran Turismo Sport 2.0 if it's gonna release as a Launch Title. In my opinion, it's okay if PD end up releasing it approximately two years later; so I can be patient about it. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
The fact is that if Gran Turismo 7 releases on either 2021 or 2022, it'll be more complete. Which is a great strategy, especially considering your opinion that Gran Turismo 7 would just be Gran Turismo Sport 2.0 if it's gonna release as a Launch Title. In my opinion, it's okay if PD end up releasing it approximately two years later; so I can be patient about it. ;)

If it looks just like GT Sport I wont drop £600 for it. They could just put it on PS4.

Give it a year or two so it can look next-gen and have more.

If it looks just like GT Sport I wont drop £600 for it. They could just put it on PS4.

That's right. The longer the development time is extended, the more fantastic GT7 is going to be. That's why I'm always hoping for a Holiday 2022.

That's right. The longer the development time is extended, the more fantastic GT7 is going to be. That's why I'm always hoping for a Holiday 2022.
Longer development doesn't mean the end product will be great. Just look at what happened to GT5. I used to be against PD doing outsourcing but after seeing how inconsistent the visuals in GTSport they really need to adapt.

2020 or 2022. I think Sony will avoid a Forza Horizon year. This game is too big now, even for GT.
I don't think so. Forza Horizon has different market base. I mean they're both driving games but they don't have the same appeal. And don't downplay the Gran Turismo brand specially PD put so much nostalgia stuff in GT7.

Absolutely not a launch title, that would be great but not going to happen. Going with 2022, probably around autumn of that year.
I disagree but ok

The Tokyo Game Show is happening this September so maybe this is where we might get more information about GT7. Polyphony Digital has been there quite a few times with Gran Turismo news...

The Tokyo Game Show is happening this September so maybe this is where we might get more information about GT7. Polyphony Digital has been there quite a few times with Gran Turismo news...

There would be another PlayStation event in August. And then, TGS, at the end of September. I think by then there will be news for GT7.

I hope it will be released at the same time as the PS5 or almost, but I still think it will be released in 2021. No later.

This is the kind of comment people have made regarding Miles Morales (after seeing seconds of footage). Insomniac have made it clear the title will use an updated engine for PS5. It’s game structure will be designed around PS5’s architecture. These next-gen games will simply not work on PS4 hardware. Beyond even graphical upgrades.

GTS already looks photorealistic in many scenarios. Particularly replays. Next-gen will push graphical fidelity, performance, user experience (load speeds etc.). PS4 cannot run a track like Le Mans in full darkness and/or rainy conditions. Tracks with rain effects, while superficially looking great, still have clear limitations. Both in terms of dynamic rainfall, track conditions. And the low resolution spray effects and windscreen droplet limitations.

PD are always at the cutting edge of graphics technology. That will be no different with GT7.

Absolutely not a launch title, that would be great but not going to happen. Going with 2022, probably around autumn of that year.
You could be absolutely right as none of us really know. That would mean GT7 had a 5yr dev cycle. I think only GT5 took that long with all the PS3 development issues. PS4 to PS5 is more akin to an in-gen sequel. Same architecture, same dev tools, but a big boost in power.

I’ll just ask why you think Sony launched their showing with Miles Morales, GT7 & R&C. With the latter two getting significant gameplay demos. Horizon 2 is expected Q1/Q2 2021 yet we only had an in-engine trailer.

2020 or 2022. I think Sony will avoid a Forza Horizon year. This game is too big now, even for GT.
From what I’ve been reading from MS insiders. They’re expecting FM8 in 2021. That would mean FH5 22/23.

Last edited:
I don't care if they release it 2020, 2021, 2022 or whatever...I just want much better and more competitive AI whenever it is being released.

You could be absolutely right as none of us really know. That would mean GT7 had a 5yr dev cycle. I think only GT5 took that long with all the PS3 development issues. PS4 to PS5 is more akin to an in-gen sequel. Same architecture, same dev tools, but a big boost in power.

I’ll just ask why you think Sony launched their showing with Miles Morales, GT7 & R&C. With the latter two getting significant gameplay demos. Horizon 2 is expected Q1/Q2 2021 yet we only had an in-engine trailer.

Yes, I think GT7 is much more advanced than some believe here.

And I noticed that GT6 updates (content) were stopped a year before release of GT Sport. It's the same for GT Sport actually....

We are indeed all guessing, but GTS also took nearly five years on a console that was touted as being easy to develop for, there are now infamous quotes from Kaz saying you wouldn't have to wait as long. We did.

You never know what PD are going to do to make development take longer. Nobody saw them remodelling all cars from scratch and even losing the premium models coming, but it happened. Obviously that specifically isn't going to happen this time, but who knows what else they plan.

Also remember, GT6 would've taken 5 years as well if they actually released it once they'd finished everything they advertised. Instead they released it unfinished in 2013 and finally finished it two years later. That was also just a sequel on the same console..

Yes, I think GT7 is much more advanced than some believe here.

Thing is though we're basing that on what they've shown us and their reputation, what are you basing your thoughts on?

Thing is though we're basing that on what they've shown us and their reputation, what are you basing your thoughts on?
From the gameplay clip it looked a near retail ready build. Nothing stood out as shoddy or over ambitious. What I’d expect with 6-12 months of development and polish to go.

I say 12 months, in the context of it still being a launch game, because we don’t know when the build was from. Initial reports stated Sony planned the PS5 reveal in February, hesitated, then Corona hit. So we ended up with a June reveal. 1st party teams could have had their demo reels ready from the start of the year.

What we didn’t see was any confirmation of dynamic lighting, weather, rain (tracks) etc. But, in a marketing cycle, you’d roll such things out at an opportune time. CaRPG, Trial Mountain and Ray Tracing was enough for a 2-3 minute reveal trailer.

We only saw screens of the UI and car tuning. But development could have started very early with little cross-over with GTS once that title released.

If GT7 was two or more years away. I think we’d have seen a CGI trailer. If anything.

Nothing stood out because gameplay just looked like GTS with a bit more fidelity. Even the HUD was identical. So either that's what they're gonna give us, or it was a very early ported PS4 content.

Nothing stood out because gameplay just looked like GTS with a bit more fidelity. Even the HUD was identical. So either that's what they're gonna give us, or it was a very early ported PS4 content.

No but we have already discussed it.

The fact is that PoDi is present from the first event of PS5 and they were able to show gameplay in a very correct state : menu, tuning, and lap on Trial Mountain gives confidence that GT7 is already advanced. Sony wouldn't have allowed PoDi to unveil GT7 in their first event if they weren't ready by 2021.

In addition, they use same engine which will accelerate development as Spiderman MM and other exclusives. GT7 is in development since GT Sport, or even before and they stopped updates (content) in order to enter final phase of development.

Why did you not bold the last part of the sentence? It's a fact that it looked mostly the same as GTS, just with slightly better lighting and fidelity, as I said. What else looked or sounded different? Please, do educate us on what we missed. Was there dynamic weather we didn't see (No, a cloud moving doesn't count)? Damage? New features?

The fact is that PoDi is present from the first event of PS5 and they were able to show gameplay in a very correct state : menu, tuning, and lap on Trial Mountain gives confidence that GT7 is already advanced. Sony wouldn't have allowed PoDi to unveil GT7 in their first event if they weren't ready by 2021.

Haha, you think a demo of a race on one track and some mockup menus rife with errors give confidence they have almost a whole game ready? HOW?! In anyone else's world, that's a tiny demo.

How many other tracks are ready? How many cars? What about features? You don't know.

As for Sony "not allowing" it, I can only laugh again. They've constantly "let" PD show off games years before they're ready.

- Gran Turismo 2000 was shown off at E3 2000 with launch titles and got delayed, released at GT3 a year later.

- Gran Turismo 4 Mobile was one of the very first titles shown for PSP at E3 2004. That game, with a new name, released in....2009.

- They showed off their PS3 demo at E3 2005, which funnily enough was similar to GT7 in that it was just GT4 with extra bells and whistles. They continued showing it as it developed into GT5 which released 5 years later.

Last edited:

In addition, they use same engine which will accelerate development as Spiderman MM and other exclusives. GT7 is in development since GT Sport, or even before and they stopped updates (content) in order to enter final phase of development.

I hope that is not true since the game seemed exactly the same as GTS a part from a little bit nicer reflections and higher resolution...

Why did you not bold the last part of the sentence? It's a fact that it looked mostly the same as GTS, just with slightly better lighting and fidelity, as I said. What else looked or sounded different? Please, do educate us on what we missed. Was there dynamic weather we didn't see (No, a cloud moving doesn't count)? Damage? New features?

Haha, you think a demo of a race on one track and some mockup menus rife with errors give confidence they have almost a whole game ready? HOW?! In anyone else's world, that's a tiny demo.

How many other tracks are ready? How many cars? What about features? You don't know.

As for Sony "not allowing" it, I can only laugh again. They've constantly "let" PD show off games years before they're ready.

- Gran Turismo 2000 was shown off at E3 2000 with launch titles and got delayed, released at GT3 a year later.

- Gran Turismo 4 Mobile was one of the very first titles shown for PSP at E3 2004. That game, with a new name, released in....2009.

- They showed off their PS3 demo at E3 2005, which funnily enough was similar to GT7 in that it was just GT4 with extra bells and whistles. They continued showing it as it developed into GT5 which released 5 years later.

Just stay relaxed

You seem to be stuck on the past. But a lot has changed since then, including at Sony.

I didn't say that GT7 was finished but well advanced, in very good state, to be released by the end of 2020 or rather by 2021. PoDi will not reveal everything right now. Be patience.

Just stay relaxed

You seem to be stuck on the past. But a lot has changed since then, including at Sony.

I didn't say that GT7 was finished but well advanced, in very good state, to be released by the end of 2020 or rather by 2021. PoDi will not reveal everything right now. Be patience.
@Samus is stuck in the past :).

Just stay relaxed

So you're not going to cite what makes the footage so different to GTS then? If you want to believe the whole game is in a "very good state" because they showed off one track with everything looking 90% the same as GTS then you do you, I prefer to go on what we actually see, and that isn't very much.

I'm not stuck in the past, you claimed Sony wouldn't let them show off an early game, what on earth else am I supposed to use to prove you wrong but examples from the past where they did just that?

Here is another one, more recent for you, they let PD show off GT Sport in 2015 when it was clearly far from finished, as evidenced by the infamous flat tree wall at Nurburgring, and the fact it came out two years later.

If they show us a lot more in the next few months then fair enough, we'll see they are far along, but I'm only commenting on the now.

Last edited:
...considering they've showed us one track (that was probably planned for GTS) and GTS engine as ingame footage... who knows...

Just stay relaxed

I have to say he is more likely to be right than you. Your opinion is based on assumptions only, while his is based on previous history.
In fact, I don't believe PD has ever released any game on time. And in this case we don't even have a time yet.

I have very high hopes that PD will disappoint you all by in fact actually making GT7 a launch title but I know it's most likely to be in 2021. :)

Has not stopped me from making plans to pre-order PS5 for release day! Have never bought a console at launch before as have always waited for price drops/games to be released but this time I want to have everything ready for when the game is out!

If more info comes during 2020 then we'll see what the comments are then!

I don't believe PD has ever released any game on time.
GT6 was on time - in fact, thanks to shops in Bahrain, it was three days early. The original planned launch date was December 6 2013 (revealed in August 2013) and it met that date - the digital version actually went up on December 5.

I don't recall what GT2's planned launch date was, but I suspect it was met as the finished product was somewhat rushed...

Last edited:
I have to say he is more likely to be right than you. Your opinion is based on assumptions only, while his is based on previous history.
In fact, I don't believe PD has ever released any game on time. And in this case we don't even have a time yet.
You can not go by previous histoy of a company, because things are made different now than way back.

Motortoon Grandpix 1/2, GT1, GT2, Omega Boost, GT3, GT4, Tourist Trophy. Did any of these games got delayed? It seems their struggle started during the PS3 era.

Latest Posts

Back