When it comes to drifting physics, PD needs to take a page from Codemasters because....

• Thread starter isamu
  • 34 comments

isamu

(Banned)
We all know the drifting physics in Gran Turismo 7 is 100% Grade AAA TRASH. That is universally agreed on. But what PD should have done, was study the drift physics in this game right here....

capsule_616x353.jpg

.....that's right. GRID Legends. Going from doing the drifting events in GT7 then doing them in GRID Legends is like night and day!! The drift physics in GL is nothing short of AMAZING! I'm talking absolutely SUBLIME!!!!!!!! Orgasmic even! Anyone who's played GL with a decent wheel knows what I'm talking about. The car is super responsive, very intuitive and does exactly what I want and expect it to do.

Unlike in GT7, when I want to hold a slide, that's exactly what I get. When I want the car to countersteer and go the other way, that's exactly what happens. When I want to get close to my marker without hitting it, BINGO, I get it....Every. Single. Time.

If you guys want to have fun drifting in a game that does it properly, get Grid Legends and thank me later. Tired of trying to get gold in that stupid Dodge Viper at Daytona where they want a whopping 7500 points? Get Grid Legends.

Hey Kaz if you're reading this, I suggest you walk on down to your local Blockbuster and rent Grid Legends bro. Then force your physics guys to play it so they'll know next time how to do drifting physics the right way. The good way. The fun way! That is all.

Drifting in GT7 isn't perfect, by any stretch, but absolutely no way should it be more like Grid Legends in any driving capacity.

Assetto Corsa, yes. That game drifts sublimely, good weight transfer, tyre slip angles, controllability. I'd much rather GT7 focussed on getting those fundamentals correct instead of dumbing it down to a Grid level of physics.

Drifting is a major part of motorsport. Even before its emergence as a full on sub-set of racing. It is what made Keiichi Tsuchiya so good at driving by his own account. Any real racing sim will HAVE to make accomodations for drifting. If the physics engine is good enough, drifting should be able to be achieved by changing the cars settings [suspension, steering angle, diff etc]. Gran Turismo 7 is a more than capable drift sim. You have to understand what you have to work with and it will allow for some amazing experiences. Moving to a different game where drifting is clearly "easier" does not denote "better". You can check my channel for multiple videos of drifting in GT7. It took time to understand and work with the tunes to get the cars to behave the way I wanted. Though not as intuitive and in-depth as Assetto Corsa it is more than do-able!... Just my opinion.

Video for reference...

Last edited:
So you are asking PD to turn GT7 into an arcade game. No thank you!

I'm not trying to be rude but I think GT7 is not the right game for you. GT7 aims to be realistic, and in real life, driving is not always easy and learning to drift requires a lot of practice. GT7 is not supposed to be easy, it's supposed to be realistic, and does it pretty well (although not perfect).

You need to understand that there are basically two types of driving games. Simulators and arcade (and games that fall in between these, but I try to keep this simple).
If you bought GT7, you bought a game that aims to be a simulator. If you buy GRID, you buy arcade. They are totally different kind of driving games and cannot be compared to each other at all. It's like comparing a nonfiction book to a fantasy book.
Simulators aim to be realistic and try to copy and simulate the real life laws of physics as accurately as possible.
Arcade games instead, are more like an artistic vision of what driving could be.

For some people, like me, the realism is equal to fun. The more realistic the driving game is, the more I enjoy playing it. If it feels too difficult for me, I will practice and try to become better at it.
And because I think realism = fun, games such as GRID, NFS, DiRT or Forza Horizon feel super boring to me. Driving in these games simply isn't fun and the way the cars behave make absolutely no sense to me. They behave nothing like cars do in real life.

And funny how you are saying that in GRID you feel like the car does exactly what you want, because that's exactly how I feel when I play GT7.
But when I play GRID, NFS, DiRT or Forza Horizon, I feel like the cars do not do what I want or expect, because the physics in those games simply does not work the way I expect physics to work.

Last edited:
GT7 aims to be realistic, and in real life, driving is not always easy and learning to drift requires a lot of practice. GT7 is not supposed to be easy, it's supposed to be realistic, and does it pretty well (although not perfect).
That's a lot of wrong to fit into two sentences.

That's a lot of wrong to fit into two sentences.
Please elaborate.
Yes, my English is not perfect and I know GT7 is not the most ultimate driving sim out there, some may even call it simcade. But I tried to keep my message as simple as possible because OP clearly did not understand the difference between driving simulators and arcade driving games.
GT7 clearly tries to mimic real life physics and real life behavior of cars, rather than just make the car turn left and right based on players input.

Last edited:
I tried drifting in GT6 and Forza 3 and was never able to do it. In both games I only tried it for a day but even after a few hours I never got any progress and couldn't maintain a simple drift. In GT7 I tried again on the Magic Mountain missions and to my surprise I could now drift with succes! I'm no drift king and will never be but atleast I can slide around a corner now. So I'm happy with the physics of GT7 :)

Last edited:
I find it amazing that you go to a drift section in the game and the car will not drift. Then you go to a race section and you can get almost any car to drift, so PD needs to not change physics for drifting in game for cars same can be said for dirt in game. Leave cars physics same across board.

I find it amazing that you go to a drift section in the game and the car will not drift. Then you go to a race section and you can get almost any car to drift, so PD needs to not change physics for drifting in game for cars same can be said for dirt in game. Leave cars physics same across board.
Cars drift really easy in GT7!

PD should just drop Drift and Dirt. The physics on those may (or may not) be accurate to real life, but it's not fun.
You cant drop the drift. Its a natural part of physics which contains controlling heavy over steer. You drop that, cars will no longer slide.

Last edited:
I think there is a lot that goes into understanding what it takes to drift... Especially in GT7 or any other major sim racer to be honest. Like I said before the set up very important. PD may not have invested too much time in drift specific events as per usual. So it is left up to you as the would be drifter to make it work for you. Much like in Assetto Corsa a very robust sim racer with an incredible drift community...Not what the game was designed for at all. With that said... I took the time to make a drift tuning video. I hope for the drift enthusiasts who are struggling this helps a little. Thanks.

Real quick, the Forza games don't have separate drift physics. Rather, the phyiscs engine in of itself is well-tuned enough so that grip driving and drifting are both viable and relatively easy to do with a well setup vehicle.
Well, essentially all I meant was get some tips from Turn10 to get drifting right - dedicated physics or not :)

1650365996912.png

What blows my mind is that GT has been the major official sponsor of D1 series for ages and have done 0 efforts on making drifting work nor adding the D1 legendary cars.

View attachment 1139757

What blows my mind is that GT has been the major official sponsor of D1 series for ages and have done 0 efforts on making drifting work nor adding the D1 legendary cars.

They had the Dunlop ER34, and that old FC RX7, neither of which have returned to GT7, but we do have Dai's BRZ from before he retired FD, which surprised me that they even went to the effort. Hilarious that they just added one drift car though, standard PD effort levels.

Regarding the OP;

Just watched a "grid drifting" video on YT, and honestly it looks more arcade-cringe than Blackpool pleasure beach.

Oh I know this is a troll, clearly, and I'll give you 7/10 for effort, for I can tell you spent at least 15 minutes making this.

Also R.I.P Blockbuster.

They had the Dunlop ER34, and that old FC RX7, neither of which have returned to GT7, but we do have Dai's BRZ from before he retired FD, which surprised me that they even went to the effort. Hilarious that they just added one drift car though, standard PD effort levels.

Regarding the OP;

Just watched a "grid drifting" video on YT, and honestly it looks more arcade-cringe than Blackpool pleasure beach.

Oh I know this is a troll, clearly, and I'll give you 7/10 for effort, for I can tell you spent at least 15 minutes making this.

Also R.I.P Blockbuster.
We had 4 or 5 cars back in GT4 that got reaused on GT5 and GT6. Minimum effort.

Also Dai's car is from Formula Drift, not from D11GP. Huge difference.

Real quick, the Forza games don't have separate drift physics. Rather, the phyiscs engine in of itself is well-tuned enough so that grip driving and drifting are both viable and relatively easy to do with a well setup vehicle.
Drifting is one thing T10 got absolutely sorted in FH5. In FH4 I could not drift at all but in 5 drifting feels organic to just about any car you hop in to.

Sure is a lot of people circlejerking about how GT7 is a 'realistic game' in this thread...which is funny, considering the physics thread is up to almost 130 pages and there are many complaints about how utterly unrealistic some aspects of this supposedly 'realistic' game are on the topic of vehicle dynamics.

Considering that Kaz makes no attempt to hide that GT is a simcade title, why not just make drifting easier and more fun?
Because its an arcade. Realistic drifting wouldnt be that easy.
Because low horsepower, well focused driver's cars like the GT86 fishtailing and trying to kill drivers under any sort of corner load like a Shelby Cobra is any more realistic?

I just looooove how people in here are calling GRID Legends drifting "Arcade" when they haven't even played the game! Guys...please please PLEASE at least play GRID Legends and do some drifting in it before blasting it as arcade. What the hell does that even mean? What does "arcade" even mean in the context of drifting? You drive a car and drift with it. It either feels good and intuitive, or it doesn't. GT7's drifting feels anything BUT realistic. GRID Legends' drifting feels fantastic and Gran Turismo 7's does not. It's that simple.

I have played FM7 and drifted several cars in that game as well, and the drifting in Grid Legends feels similar but even better IMHO. The feeling of being in control of your car is second to none! Please just play the game instead of watching a video and thumbing your nose away from it saying it looks so arcade. Of course it's arcade but so what? It's immensly fun and enjoyable. You're doing yourself a disservice by not at least trying it. Heck, I think it might even be available on Gamepass which means you can try it for free.

Please, can we hear from ANYONE else besides me that has played Grid Legends and can offer an objective opinion on its drifting?

I got gold with the Viper within about 30 minutes of trying, didn't think it was that tricky tbh 🤷‍♂️
But brah... You had to like... Learn and apply yourself and stuff, eh? Like dude brah man, why? Why not just make everything super easy? Why not just make GT a super easy arcade game? Especially with the Sport mode brah dude man, we should have that elastical thingy people complain about, so people that suck it in last get a magic boost and can catch up with first in like 1 lap man dude brah! That'd be rad and like super good brah brah dude man brah!

Trying to type like an airhead hurts...

What the hell does that even mean? What does "arcade" even mean in the context of drifting? You drive a car and drift with it.

Simple. An arcade racer has little interest in real world physics, often favouring a more loose system that makes things easier, so to give the player more excitement. Arcade drifting tends to be turn in, dab brake, apply throttle and steer.

Sim racers take the opposite approach of trying to recreate the physics as accurately as possible, which makes the game more of a challenge and rewarding to master. Drifting in a sim game you have to consider entry speed, angle, turn in, counter steer, feather between throttle and brake, don't apply too much throttle or brake, make sure you maintain momentum and control of your angle. It's a lot more involved than arcade drifting.

Last edited:
FH5, an arcade game, allows you to tune tire pressures front and rear, has front and rear tire width adjustment, multiple levels of track width adjustment, wheel caster adjustment, steering angle adjustment that's not just an on/off switch, and real time telemetry.

GT7, a real drifting simulator, has what again?

Last edited:
Back