American and Japanese Events

• Thread starter daan
  • 86 comments
This thread is put together to help members to achieve the goal of reaching the maximum A-spec points obtainable in the American and Japanese events. Please feel free to contribute your findings too. 👍

If you would rather test your skills with stock cars then please visit hispeed ’s [thread=62070]Stock car race comparison/challenge[/thread].
There’s some good information to be found there too.

Rules
Obtain as many points as you can for each race and see if you can make it to 100.000 or max 111.813 or anything in between those two values. Race as cleanly as possible. We don’t frown on blocking, wallriding or corner cutting; that, unfortunately, is needed in some races. Devices other than your PS2/3, a wheel or controller, and a GT4 disc are not allowed.
These rules do not apply to hispeed's Stock Car Race Comparison/Challenge thread.

Is there something special about A-spec points.
Yes and no, you don’t get a prize for 100.000 points nor do you get anything when you reach the maximum of 111.813 points. What you do get is a 👍 from other ‘200 point A spec nutters’ :sly: and the satisfaction of reaching 100.000 points or more. You also have the honour of adding your ‘home screen’ in the [thread=66549]100.000 Club[/thread]

Is it difficult to reach maximum?
To get to 100.000 is an achievement in itself, it’s the remaining 11.813 that are the real challenge. It’s just another way of having fun (and frustration) with GT4.

To get A-spec points you need to complete the whole race yourself. Handing over to Bob will not earn you any A-spec points. To achieve the maximum available A-spec points you’ll sometimes have to resort to dirty tactics, use a ‘gem’ car and or wear out the engine on certain cars.
Not all races will yield 200 points. If you are going to join the ranks of A-spec nutters please remember that Missions (34 x 250 points) and Family Cup (1x 200 points) should not be forgotten. Arcade points do not count towards the 111.813 goal.

Feel free to discuss (on occasion dirty) tactics, cars used and what settings were applied within the Series listed below.
A lot of races are fairly straightforward. Some races can be quite a challenge and if you are new to this part of the game all I can say is ‘hang in there’, you will eventually succeed. :scared: ;)
The notorious Ram for instance is a well known 200 point gatherer. There are other cars that are good to use in several series and as you read through these threads you’ll find them mentioned. If you can’t find them there check out [thread=87608]General Discussion [/thread].

Things to consider when trying to go for max points.
Choice of lineup, added weight, tyre choice (on front set of wheels), power add ons and wing settings all have an impact on points.
More details can be found in Famine’s thread on this subject [thread=56502] Notes on Maximising A-Spec Points [/thread]

Wearing out your ride
It pays to run several (long) races with worn out cars. As you race you lose horsepower. Better to start a race with a car that wont do that anymore. Take hp loss out of the equation.
[post=2458971]List of cars[/post] and how to [post=2458971]wear[/post] out the car.

Tranny trick
If needed apply the following:
  1. Set the gears back to default.
  2. Set final all the way to the right (5.500 or so).
  3. After that move auto all the way to the right (e.g. 25) and then back to 1.
  4. Then adjust final to what you want (e.g. 3.200).
Do not touch the Auto slider again.

What else ?
  1. Various [thread=83319]worthwhile lists[/thread] by D-N
  2. References to race reports for inspiration: https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=139 (review the stickies)
  3. List of members with [post=2474747]100K points[/post].
* If you find any of the information useful, be sure to let the author know by giving them some +REP by clicking on the
check.gif

I would also suggest you start keeping records on your achievements NOW! It will pay huge dividends later on as you get closer to your goal. You’ll want to know where you have not yet reached max points. Having to trawl through 500+ races to find out is no fun!
Fizio has an Excel spreadsheet that’s available for download. Visit post #2 in [thread=87600]Beginner & Professional Events[/thread]

Where applicable this post (if possible) will be used to capture useful information.
Good luck!

AMG.

If you are contributing to this thread then mentioning the following details could very well help others.
Race Series, track name, Lineup used (list the cars 1-5) *
car used / tyres / power add ons / non power add ons + settings / aids / Weight etc. Tactics used to win the race.

* PAL =/= PAL. Line-ups in PAL games seem to differ. Whether this applies in all races is unknown. An example can be found [post=2669199]here[/post].

American Events
1. All American Championship 1000
2. Stars and Stripes 600
3. Muscle Car Competition (Hotrod) 600
4. Old Muscle Car Competition 600

Total A-spec points achievable in this series 2800.

All American Championship
Shelby Series I, R4, chip, NA2, NOS, non power mods

Stars and Stripes
Dodge RAM

Muscle Car Competition (HotRod)
Dodge RAM

Old Muscle Car Competition
Corvette 54, S2, some power / non power mods.

Japanese Events
1. Japan Championship 1000
2. All Japan GT Championship 2000
3. Japanese 70's Classics 1000
4. Japanese 80's Festival 1000
5. Japanese 90's Challenge 1000
6. Japanese Compact Cup 1000

Total A-spec points achievable in this series 7000.

Japan Championship
SUZUKI GSX-R/4 '01 - Racing clutch and flying wheel

All Japan GT Championship
SUZUKI GSX-R/4 '01 - R3 tires, Racing muffler, turbo 2, Chip, Racing clutch and flying wheel. make sure the Nissan Motul Z350 (I am not sure of the name but I think you do a mission on this car is the red/gray) is in the line up to get all races 200pt.
Suzuki GSX-R/4, R2, racing exhaust, chip, turbo2, wing 15/30.

Japanese 70's Classics
Bluebird 1600SS rally car N1 and other mods
Honda Life Step Van S2 and other mods

Japan 80's Festival
All races - MR2 1600 G-Limited SC ('86) - No oil, S2 tires, NOS (not used) SR suspention, 160 ballast -40 distribution.
Mazda MX-5 Miata '89 (6.2 miles), oil, S2, racing exhaust, chip.

Japanese 90's Challenge
Mazda Mx-5 S-Special Type 1 ( J)'95 - NA Stage 1 + SH Tyres + ballast + NOS ( all races )
Mazda Mx-5 S-Special Type 1 (J)95 S3 (soft) tyres, depending on lineup a chip and or a SR exhaust (132-137-143 bhp on toolbox screen) is needed. Sometimes a bit of ballast is needed too.
Honda Beat Version Z - 6.2 ml, oil changed, full transmission, R Clutch and 3ple Fly wheel, Stage 1 turbo, SM muffler/air filter, NOS

Japanese Compact Cup
Cappucinno N2, NOS, max ballast, non power mods.

Note: None of the entrants have been verified. Information is added on face value.

Last edited:
Stars and Stripes
Hot Rod Competition
Dodge Ram, all mods.

Japan Championship
Suzuki GSX-R/4, mods unknown but pretty mild.

Japanese 80's Festival

Japanese Championship
SUZUKI GSX-R/4 '01 - Racing clutch and flying wheel.

All-Japan GT Championship
SUZUKI GSX-R/4 '01 - R3 tires, Racing muffler, turbo 2, Chip, Racing clutch and flying wheel. make sure the Nissan Motul Z350 (I am not sure of the name but I think you do a mission on this car is the red/gray) is in the line up to get all races 200pt.

J's Compact Cup
Honda S800 - Rclutch, R Fly wheel, Carbon shaft, S2 tires, 60 balast - Make sure this car is in the line up Daihatsu Copen Active Top 2002

Japanese 80's Festival
All races - MR2 1600 G-Limited SC ('86) - No oil, S2 tires, NOS (not used) SR suspention, 160 ballast -40 distribution. great race 👍

Japanese 90's challenge
all races, first line up
Honda Beat Version Z - 6.2 ml, oil changed, full transmission, R Clutch and 3ple Fly wheel, Stage 1 turbo, SM muffler/air filter, NOS

Japanese 90's Challenge

Mazda Mx-5 S-Special Type 1 ( J)'95 - NA Stage 1 + SH Tyres + ballast + NOS ( all races )

nige

Nissan Skyline GTS-t Type M (R32) 'Japanese Championship: Fresh oil, non-power mods + nice setup, Chip, exhaust and intercooler as a backup.

Field:
  • Subaru Impreza Sedan WRX STi Ver.VI '99
  • Toyota Supra RZ '97
  • Nissan Skyline GT-R V-Spec (R33) '97
  • Subaru Impreza Sedan WRX STi '02
  • Nissan Skyline GT-R V-spec II '00
  • Nissan Skyline GTS-t Type M (R32) '98

Fuji '90s: Easy win cutting the chicane in the stock car. Lost a second on every straight, though... No qualifying needed.

Tsukuba: That gave me a headache. Even though Chip + Racing Exhaust gave 200 points, the lead of the Subaru stays the same. Currently trying other setups. I really should've bought nitrous for this one.

Still working on it. Seems promising 👍

EDIT: Ok. Turbo Stg. 1 + Chip (278HP) still gives 200 points. Gave up for now because DREs are plaguing my PS2...

I'd really like to see these five videos.

Cheers,

MasterGT

As these races were some time ago I wouldn't have saved replays of them. If you are desperate to see them I could repeat them and save them on Maxdrive.
Please let me know.
Can't do it just know as I'm in the middle of the Mazda 4hr Endurance race.:grumpy:
nige

As it is now, this poor Miata is getting slaughtered in less than 150 point races, losing by around 5-20 seconds in some races. The two races I have won certainly were not clean and they are not 200 point wins.

Given these parameters (NA Stage 1 + SH Tyres + ballast), even without the ballast, it's not even close-call to getting 200 point races. With ballast, the poor acceleration (compared to the AI) would be even worse, since they already disappear into the horizon. I've double-checked the car, to make sure I'm using the right model.

There has to be something missing in your example. Which grid did you use? The second one is giving me 171 pts, but even there I come in a distant third.

If anyone else has a better car suggestion, I'm willing to try one.

Cheers,

MasterGT

Japan '90s
Apricot hill
Honda CRX del Sol SiR ‘92
Mitsu FTO GR 94
Silvia Ks S13 91
Civic SiR II EG 93
Starlet Glanza V 97
Mazda Mx-5 S-Special Type 1 (J)95 S3 (soft) tyres, chip, SR exhaust 143 bhp (on toolbox screen)

GV East
Civic SiR II EG 93
Starlet Glanza V 97
Integra Type R 95
Mitsu FTO GR 94
Prelude SiR 96
Mazda Mx-5 S-Special Type 1 (J)95 S3, SR exhaust 137 bhp (on toolbox screen)

Motegi
Mazda 323F 93
Prelude type S
Prelude SiR 96
MR2 GTS 97
Lancer Evo GSR 92
Mazda Mx-5 S-Special Type 1 (J)95 S3, 132 bhp 48 ballast

SSR5
Civic SiR II EG 93
Mitsu Eclipse GT 95
Nissan 200 SX 96
Prelude Si VTEC 91
MX5 S Spec Type I (J) 95
Mazda Mx-5 S-Special Type 1 (J)95 S3, SR exhaust 137 bhp

Fuji 90
Prelude SiR 96
Mirage Cyborg ZR 97
Del Sol SiR 92
Primera 2.0 Te (j) 90
Civic SiR II EG 92
Mazda Mx-5 S-Special Type 1 (J)95 S3, SR exhaust 137 bhp

Further more added Racing suspension & triple clutch & carbon shaft.
I should have added a racing tranny for Fuji.
NOS was used to get to 1st place.

In all races I went with the 1st lineup presented to me.
Hope this helps you to get 200 pointers.👍

AMG.

Master GT - Does that answer your question??????
I forgot to add this to the post - ADD NOS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My greatest mistake!!

Have just tried SS5 with same car using NOS against line up 1 for 200 points - easy victory by over 5 seconds and that was with mistakes because of my driving.

BTW - If you can do it with another car we would love to hear about it and we would be very willing to give it a go.

nige

Just a small omission, there. :sly:

I couldn't see how it was possible to get 200 pts the way you had it described.
I doubt any other car is going to do any better, since it looks as if the race is "rigged".

Using NOS, the series is cleared, so I am moving on.
Thanks for clearing this up.

Cheers,

MasterGT

I need to finish GT4 someday, so if I go for max points, it will depend on how efficiently I can do a series.
Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't.

That's why I checked for info here before I started.
In this case, it wasn't as efficient as I had hoped it would be.

But I've gotten two more series done this weekend, so I am just about at 65% again, after losing my game previously. Thanks for your help.

Cheers,

MasterGT

Would all the good folk of GTPlanet please note that Post 6 has been updated. Acoording to some people I "slyly" omitted the fact that you need NOS to get 200 points in this series.
It's a good job that most GTites know me for who I am - an honest person who would never deliberately go out to deceive. MISTAKES DO HAPPEN.
There, I have said my piece!!!!!!

Happy racing,

nige

Japan '90s
Well, this series is cleared. Thanks for your help guys. ;)

I've used these settings for all 5 events:
Mazda MX-5 S-Special Type 1 (J)95, S3, SR exhaust 137 bhp, NOS, 65 ballast, FC transmission, Carbon Propshaft and 1,5 LSD.

200pts granted and I wasn't "picky" on the line up. 👍

Japan '90s
Well, this series is cleared. Thanks for your help guys. ;)

I've used these settings for all 5 events:
Mazda MX-5 S-Special Type 1 (J)95, S3, SR exhaust 137 bhp, NOS, 65 ballast, FC transmission, Carbon Propshaft and 1,5 LSD.

200pts granted and I wasn't "picky" on the line up. 👍

Hey well done. Glad we were able to help. Are you going for max points by any chance? If so good luck with your efforts.

nige

Would all the good folk of GTPlanet please note that Post 6 has been updated. Acoording to some people I "slyly" omitted the fact that you need NOS to get 200 points in this series.
It's a good job that most GTites know me for who I am - an honest person who would never deliberately go out to deceive. MISTAKES DO HAPPEN.
There, I have said my piece!!!!!!

Happy racing,

nige
The "sly" emoticon was the "happiest" one I found without going too far any other direction.

Unfortunately, sometimes I take what is in front of me literally, so when I couldn't make it work for me, I had to question what I was doing differently. I never once thought the omission was intentional. Thanks for setting me straight.

Cheers,

MasterGT

The "sly" emoticon was the "happiest" one I found without going too far any other direction.

Unfortunately, sometimes I take what is in front of me literally, so when I couldn't make it work for me, I had to question what I was doing differently. I never once thought the omission was intentional. Thanks for setting me straight.

Cheers,

MasterGT

Ok no problem. Lets hope that we can all work in harmony to help each other gain the most out of this great game.
Best of luck in your points quest.
Cheers,

nige

Hey well done. Glad we were able to help. Are you going for max points by any chance? If so good luck with your efforts.

nige

I'm trying to get as many points as I can (I'm around 13000pts, all of them with 200pts races). Once in a while I check the 200pts sub-forum to see if there's an interesting car that I can win some 200pts races with. This is only possible with your and other GTP members help and I have to thank you for this. :sly:

Stars and Stripes
Hot Rod Competition
Dodge Ram, all mods.

Japan Championship
Suzuki GSX-R/4, mods unknown but pretty mild.

Japanese 80's Festival

So the Ram with all mods still gets 200pts per race? I used the Ram with exhaust, chip, and nitrous to win the New York race, and I figured that if I add anymore, the points would start to fall off.

It's amazing that a Dodge friggin' Ram can out corner and out brake a Dodge Viper and SVT Cobra. Just got to make sure you use all that weight to block them on the straights... :P

So the Ram with all mods still gets 200pts per race?

Welcome to GTP, the RAM (glitch) can get something between 16-17K points.
For me its done 16600, followed by the GSXR4 at 9588 and the Chapparal at 4400.

AMG.

Welcome to GTP, the RAM (glitch) can get something between 16-17K points.
For me its done 16600, followed by the GSXR4 at 9588 and the Chapparal at 4400.

AMG.

The Ram's done 20,000 points for me, an even 100 races. :) Fully maxxed it'll get 200 points everyplace except Sunday Cup, some of the "easy" Special Conditions races, and (I think) the Sports Truck race.

I only have about 5000 with my GSX-R/4, but I've noticed there are a couple series where both the Ram and the Suzuki can get 200 points.

Quick question. In Family Cup races, if I get 200pts. for racing a track in the "normal" direction, do I get another 200pts for racing the track in "reverse"? I would think so, but when I went to do Seoul in reverse, it said "Best A-Spec points: 200" at the top of the grid screen.

Thanks.

Quick question. In Family Cup races, if I get 200pts. for racing a track in the "normal" direction, do I get another 200pts for racing the track in "reverse"? I would think so, but when I went to do Seoul in reverse, it said "Best A-Spec points: 200" at the top of the grid screen.

Thanks.

Sadly not Shawnb. :(
The Family Cup counts once, and only once to your A-spec total. You can earn a maximum of 200 points for any single Family Cup race, once you've done that every subsequent Family Cup race will show that you've earned 200 A-spec points for the Family Cup regardless of circuit or direction. :grumpy:

I only have about 5000 with my GSX-R/4, but I've noticed there are a couple series where both the Ram and the Suzuki can get 200 points.

You may well be right that both cars can be used in certain races for 200. I just dont particularly like the handling 👎 of the mammoth. The Suz is so much easier to use. 👍

Thanks.

As smallhorses said 1 Fam cup race is all you need to do for 200 points. It's also mentioned in post #2 ;)

AMG.

I've started an absolutely brutal run through the All American Championship. I had been planning to wait until I got around to running the 'ring 4h for the Chap 2D, but I've gotten impatient and AMG's excellent Shelby writeup inspired me to action. Unfortunately, I've found my car selection doesn't suit my driving style at all... :ouch:

The RS200 Rally Car. Between my driving, the car, and my DS2, I'm absolutely destroying R3 tires, and on R2's I can just *barely* compete well enough that I don't give up. I've managed a 200 win at Seattle, but am currently stuck at Infineon... hoping to do my first race report if/when I get through the series. If only these were 3 lap races, I'd be killing them! :crazy:

Edit: Finished clean and clear... Race Report is Online!

AMG's excellent Shelby writeup inspired me to action........driving like an idiot this morning. Hopefully can put it to rest tonight.

Ah the shelby, yes that brings back fond memories. Wish you well with El Cap!

I've moved on to WRS Div2 in the vain hope of learning better driving skills. One day I really do hope to complete the A spec quest but for now I am giving it a rest as it doesnt give me pleasure at all. I absolutely loath the FGT series and I dont particularly like the "bumper car" races I have left to do either. I will be keeping in touch with this forum though!

AMG.

Back