Fallout 4

• Thread starter Wiegert
  • 2,544 comments
At this early stage of the game, is it worth nailing your colours to one cause? Or does it not really matter at this point?

I was going to ask if all the DLC was worth buying, but I've noticed it's all reduced in the January Sale so I guess that even the non-story stuff is worth it at £1.59 each?

It doesn't matter at this stage, you will get a warning if a mission they want you to do will cause a permanent 'fallout' (see what I did there ? :P) with any of the other factions

yes, you might as well buy it all for that price, some of it I found I wasn't really bothered about, but it's all personal taste and you may love the bits I didn't :D

I've built a little 'home' at the red rocket service station. I've done some fortifications - but is there any need to do so. My stuff isn't going to get stollen is it?

Or does it not really matter at this point?
You will get a warning the first time one of your decisions will have permanent consequences - but only the first time. And you're hours away from it.

I guess that even the non-story stuff is worth it at £1.59 each?
Not unless you really love the settlements mode. You should absolutely get Far Harbour, and Automatron and Nuka-World are worth a look if you're enjoying the game. But the other DLC packages only really add new items for settlements.

My stuff isn't going to get stollen is it?
Stolen, no - but your settlements can come under attack from raiders, super mutants and the like, hence the need for your defences.

Be aware that NPCs can enter power armour even when it doesn't have a fusion core. They'll usually ignore it, but there are a few places on the map where fighting is guaranteed to happen. If you have a suit of power armour nearby, an NPC may grab it to join the fight, and walk away once it's over. It's rare, but it happens.

Just "finished" Nuka World (thought not 100% explored the surrounding lands yet) and must say, if you take the more humanitarian route like I did, it's a bit of an empty vessel once finished. They could've made a lot more out of it. Also wasn't really happy with how things shook out when I took that route, ie. killed one leader and *every* raider was then on my back, when you'd expect 66% of them to be patting me on the back.

I've built a little 'home' at the red rocket service station. I've done some fortifications - but is there any need to do so. My stuff isn't going to get stollen is it?
I did come back once to find raiders in the place and after killing them found they had about 75% of my fusion cores and other valuables in their pockets, but I didn't actually lose anything, but it did encourage me to make it a bit more personal rather than just 'camping' in the office area lol
How it looks now, with a defence 'score' of 192 including the pack of dogs and many laser turrets :D
Fallout 4_20161231232423.jpg

if you take the more humanitarian route like I did, it's a bit of an empty vessel once finished
I think it's intended as post-game content - it gives you the chance to re-conquer the Commonwealth once you have finished the main campaign.

Recently picked this up again, this time on XB1, to see how good the console mods were, and they were way better than I expected.

The mods I currently have installed:

Modern Firearms - Adds loads of real weapons (mostly rifles, SMG's & shotguns) and incorporates them into the game by having most NPC's use them, have them lying around in place of vanilla weapons and having vendors stock loads of them. Every weapon in this mod is really well done, each being fully customizable (even more so than vanilla weapons) while also making gameplay harder due to their increased damage over vanilla weapons. They're also levelled, so you start out seeing just AK's but you gradually start seeing MP5's, M4's, G36's etc and even start seeing M82's and MGL's at higher levels.

Fallout Commander - Lets you call in backup soldiers from any of the factions in the game, ranging from recon squads to power armor soldiers and air support.

Pistols - 4 seperate mods that add 4 different pistols to the game (M9A1, P99, Desert Eagle & Colt 1911), each with a great deal of customization.

Rifles - 2 seperate mods that add 2 semi-auto rifles to the game (M1 Garand & MK14 EBR), each with huge levels of customization.

Mix 96 Radio - A simple radio mod that adds some of the greatest music tracks from the Fallout series

Awesome Mix Vol.1 - An amazing radio mod that adds Peter Quill's "Awesome Mix" from Guardians of The Galaxy. Amazing music for when you get into a gunfight.

WRVR Companion Mod - What at first seems to be a simple radio mod also adds an incredibly good companion. The radio station is so well done, I actually prefer it to all of Fallout 4's vanilla stations, the host is really good and there's a good selection of period correct music, and the companion is brilliant, featuring amazing voice acting that is just as good as that of the vanilla companions.

Realistic Sound - Not a huge mod, but one that greatly increases immersion by making alot of the games sound effects sound much more realistic than normal.

There's a few other smaller mods as well but these are the main ones I always have installed. Together they really make FO4 feel a lot more realistic and more immersive.

Last edited:
I played for a couple hours yesterday and started a new save on very hard. My character was some old guy with a beard, SPECIAL stats were 9, 1, 1, 1, 1, 9, 2 and my first perk was Blitz. I added the weather redux mod (which includes darker nights), Pip-Boy flashlight, and the zombie walker mod with the accompanying mods that change all raiders, creatures, gunners and super mutants into more zombies.

I'll try to get a few screenshots if I can play again later but it was awesome. Walking around at night with the flashlight and having ferals slowly shuffle around nearby is very creepy. The mod also makes them tanks with the exception of their heads to encourage head shots. I wanted to focus on melee because I haven't done a play through like that yet but most melee attacks in VATS end up being body shots. I found myself relying on the 10mm pistol and my massive amount of action points to take up close head shots in VATS.

Now when you first find Red Rocket and open the workbench, 5 or 6 zombies come out and instantly attack you. I came across the auto wreckers yard that is typically full of mole rats and at least a dozen zombies came out of the tunnels. I left Preston and his buddies in the museum. I was tempted to go in and see if all the Raiders became zombies but I believe the mod can only change the normal world spawns. If you go into a load point like the museum it probably stays full of raiders.

Few mods I forgot to list:

Enhanced Game Play - Changes some aspects of gameplay (such as allowing NPC's to level up) to just make it more fun and unpredictable

Crowded Commonwealth - Adds a few new locations to the game, each with their own little backstory, that makes the map seem a little more full.

Darker Nights - Makes nights a whole lot darker (94% darker than vanilla), to the point where you need to use a flashlight to be able to see anything. Really makes night in this game feel way more realistic and combat much more tense.

Visible Galaxy 4K - Changes the sky to make it possible to see the entire galaxy at night. Combined with the above mod, really makes the game look a lot better at night.

Walker Zombies - Turns the Ghouls into Zombies, and makes them a lot slower (but tougher and requiring headshots to kill) which makes for some really fun battles with them. Even had a journey from the Prydwen to the Police Station where I ended up having to shoot through loads of them with the M82, M1911 & M4 Carbine.

I also used to have a mod (Might've been called "Greener Wasteland) that added loads of grass to the game (made it look a bit like the Last of Us) but the framerate was awful (under 15FPS at times) and the game crashed several times with it installed so I deleted it.

I also used to have a mod (Might've been called "Greener Wasteland) that added loads of grass to the game (made it look a bit like the Last of Us) but the framerate was awful (under 15FPS at times) and the game crashed several times with it installed so I deleted it.

I think that mod was taken down for some reason, for PC at least, not sure why though. Some of those other mods sound pretty cool, I thought I'd all but exhausted this game and I don't go for mods generally, but think I will make an exception and get some more mileage out of what has become one of my favourite games of all time.

So I decided to start a new game, this time playing on Survival with a different take on the story (thanks to some mods). Main one I used was the Start Me Up mod, which allows you to start the game in the wasteland (choosing SPECIAL skills, traits, occupation and starting location), instead of having to go through being frozen in Vault 111 (although you can still go there if you want to start the main questline).

Started out by making my character a "Vault Enthusiast", starting right next to Vault 111. What I've done so far is in the spoiler.

After starting near Vault 111, I went inside, killed a few radroaches and found the dead body of the Sole Survivor (presumably killed by radroaches). I managed to find a holotape which had recorded audio of a kidnapping. I then started making my way of Diamond City but just outside concorde I saw an abandoned APC. I found a switch to open the rear hatch and found a few supplies inside. Once I got out however, there was a scavanger taking shots at me with a rifle. I took cover behind the APC and managed to kill him, take the keys to the APC and get to Diamond City no problem.

Once I got to Diamond City I found a reporter, Piper, shouting through an intercom, at the guard on the other side. He eventually opened the gate where I was greeted by the mayor. After he refused to tell me who I could report the kidnapping to, I had a quick interview with Piper who then suggested I see Detective Valentine. We go to his office to find out he's being holed up in a subway station by a gangster by the name of "Skinny" Malone. I was quite low on supplies so I proceeded to take a few side quests, including helping out a struggling radio DJ and finding some baseball memoribillia, to get enough caps to buy some weapons. I then made my way to Goodneighbour to buy a Colt 1911, M1 Garand, SVT-40 and .45 Grease Gun as well as appropiate ammo from Kill or Be Killed. I then proceeded to the Hotel Rexford so I could save my game before I head out to Park Street Station.

Main Mods:
Start Me Up - Alt Start (Full Dialogue) - Explained Above
APC Transport - Spawns an APC near Concorde that lets you fast travel, even when in Survival mode
Diamond City Glory - Revamps Diamond City to make it the real "Great Green Jewel of the Commonwealth"
Fallout Commander
Full Dialogue Interface - Lets you see exactly what the SS will say when choosing dialog
Plenty O' Exploration - Adds more interiors
Tony's Immersive Fallout - All enemies have 120HP, no legendary enemies, no health regen on level up, NPC's don't level up, new attachment effects, less damage reduction on automatic weapons & armor scales with damage
True Storms - Makes thunderstorms and radiation storms much more realistic by severely reducing visibility

Weapon Mods:
Chinese Assault Rifle - Reimagining of Fallout 3's Chinese Assault Rifle
Colt 1911
Colt Python Double Action
Crude Blowback SMG
Grease Gun SMG
M16 Service Rifle
M1 Garand
M9A1
SVT-40

Misc Mods:
Aliens of the Commonwealth - Adds aliens to one of the locations within the glowing sea
Clean Water - Makes sea water purified, so you don't get radiation damage from swimming
Enhanced Blood - Makes the static blood textures look better overall
Enhanced Gameplay - Makes the game more unpredictable by allowing settlers to level up, allows traders to sell weapon mods, removes dead corpses after 3 days and allows companions to use items they carry and much more.
Faction Housing Overhaul - Updates all the faction quarters to give you everything you would ever need (all workbenches & storage for everything etc.) as well as adding fast travel points for them.
Realistic Bullets - Adds realistic velocity and gravity to bullets
Realistic Ragdoll - Makes the ragdoll from shooting NPC's more realistic
Rockin' Red Rocket - Adds a proper interior to the Red Rocket settlement
Tales From The Commonwealth - Adds over 125 NPC's, 20 quests and 8,600 lines of dialogue
Take Cover - Allows you to take cover by sprinting towards it
Visible Galaxy 4K
WRVR Radio & Companion

Favorite mods for me include;-

Cheat Terminal [Xbox One] because it:-
enables an infinite carrying capacity avoiding all that boring travel back to a settlement to dump the junk.
enables an infinite Mini Nuke supply and the ability to launch volleys of nuclear weapons (and other ammo)
enables an infinite supply explosives to build the most awesome minefields ever

Everyone's Best Friend (Dogmeat + Companion At Same Time) [Xbox]
Who knew that this non-standard combo is actually scripted and voiced by Bethesda!

[XB1] Spring in the Commonwealth - Grass Mod
and
Green in the Commonwealth XB1 (3.0)
and
Realistic Roads - Black Asphalt
and
Visible Galaxy 4k Dim
and
(XB1) Improved Lighting Ballistics
all of which make for improved visuals

Back in Skyrim days, I set myself a BHAG* which was to build up to taking out a Legendary Dragon, in Legendary Difficulty with just one arrow.

Here is my FO4 BHAG - take out the Institute single handedly from the inside. i.e. not via the normal quest methods.

I dunno if it's possible, but surely it will be fun to try!

Update:-
It was surprisingly easy to kill everyone in the Institute, however, that didn't finish them off

*BHAG = Big Hairy Audacious Goal

Last edited:
Well, seems like an ideal time to log progress. After a solid eight months of Fallouting i'm Level 101 and have pretty much done all the missions/quests aside from Nuka World, which i've been saving for a rainy day. I eventually sided with the Railroad, if for no other reason then i figured the BOS and Institute would give a greater challenge as adversaries. I was already level 80+ when i started 'Act 3' so none of it provided too much challenge, but it was still pretty entertaining. (I have a game-save from prior to this no-going-back stage so will at some point go back and finish the main quest with each of the factions). I ended up spending a great deal of time and effort on the settlement side of the game, building some impressively fortified locations on nearly all the available settlement locations, including the four on Far Harbor. Although i purchased the DLC for it, i never really bothered with the contraption or cages stuff and don't feel as if i've missed out by ignoring them. I've not explored the Mod side of it either. Maybe something to look into when i've extracted all i can from the original game.

Looking forward to another Fallout instalment, but i'd imagine there'll be another Elder Scrolls before then.

Bethesda has a sale on the PS Store until tomorrow. All Fallout 4 items are 40% off including the season pass at only $29.99. Sooo tempting but it has been months since I've played the game.

There are many other games in the sale such as Quake, Doom and Elder Scrolls.

Bethesda has a sale on the PS Store until tomorrow. All Fallout 4 items are 40% off including the season pass at only $29.99. Sooo tempting but it has been months since I've played the game.

There are many other games in the sale such as Quake, Doom and Elder Scrolls.

I heard there might be a GOTY edition coming out this year

I think I might grab the supposed GOTY edition on Xbox One, because I've pretty much exhausted all of what the PS4 version has to offer with the paltry mods on offer, especially weapons.

Seriously, I want to gun people down with AK-47's and ****

Caught this on Reddit this morning. Haha, I love this game and I really wish I had more time to play it.

Man...i just have sold this game yesterday along with several PS4/XB1/PS3 games i don't even play anymore. I miss the 2015's hype for this game.

I think I might grab the supposed GOTY edition on Xbox One, because I've pretty much exhausted all of what the PS4 version has to offer with the paltry mods on offer, especially weapons.

Seriously, I want to gun people down with AK-47's and ****

Isn't one of the (operator?) rifles in Nuka World basically an AK-47?

Isn't one of the (operator?) rifles in Nuka World basically an AK-47?

Yes, it is. But...

I decided to buy a cheap copy of FO4 on Xbox One off a friend. Now starting my third playthrough and decided to spice things up with using this mod in particular: https://bethesda.net/en/mods/fallout4/mod-detail/1077630 (albeit mine is v2.5)

To be honest? It makes things really fun. Even if it's realistic weapons with scopes and the like, the big thing is that it bumps up the base damage for most of the weapons fairly noticeably. It makes it that you can be easily blindsided by people shooting, even on Easy. So even though you can have pretty high damage for weapons, even in the beginning, it also makes the enemies hit harder too. It makes parts of the beginning, especially Lexington and the Corvega Assembly Plant, a lot more harrowing and fun in my opinion.

Fallout 4 GOTY Edition is 50% off on the PS Store for Black Friday ($29.99). Plus members can get it on sale right now.

The season pass and all DLC are on sale too for anyone interested.

Started playing Fallout 4 for the first time in ages, and it seems the ghouls are bugged for me.

He must've taken at least 15 direct mini nukes before he actually died.

Going back to my normal save, and it seems there's only a small chance any of my bullets will even do any damage.

Some take 2 headshots to go down, some take 30. Plus there's the fact that they ALWAYS kill me in one hit regardless of my health.

Back