Unpopular Opinions - General Thread

• Thread starter Carbonox
  • 2,983 comments
Adaptations are usually better than the Source Material
I honestly can say there's merit to this from recently getting into "The Boys" TV series and learning about the comic book differences. I honestly will say I prefer the TV show as some of the lore from the comics was just plain weird.

I've been shot down on other websites for this one because of how trendy one particular working environment is.

I hate home office work.

Sure, it's nice to fall out of bed and straight to work but to me, home is home. I need to have my home space and work space be two different places. Actually going to a different place, a different building, to do work is way better. I've experienced home office work as most people have by now and it really affects me when my work space is the same as the place I'm supposed to relax, unwind and have my personal life in.

I've gotten stick for this opinion with people replying about how they dislike or can't afford commuting, how they hate the soullessness of an office and all that crap. Which is fine... for you. I never said that nobody should have or do home office, I don't advocate on the behalf of commerical building investors, it's just that I don't like it.

Yes, it depends on your job but you know what I'm getting at.
You’re not on your own as some people from my company hate the work from home aspect.

We have a flexi working situation now, where we have to be in the office once per two weeks depending on what is happening at the office (too many in then not enough room)

Personally I have to commute only around 12 miles to the office and 12 miles back, however I don’t drive so it’s public transport there and back. So one bus and one train each way. This should be 40 minutes journey time, but this is the UK and it takes about 2 hours. So 4 hours wasted each day and £1500 per year (with a pass) in costs.

Now we’re working from home, I’m more productive as others have said but I can walk the dog at lunch and we can head to the park straight after work and get tea eaten and all straight in the housework before I would have even stepped through the door when in the office.

Thankfully our MD loves work from home too and has no desire to go back to a full office environment again.

At my last employer, I had a 90 mile round trip. I'm never going back to that kind of commute... I'm personally in favor of work from home.

I do understand where Liquid is coming from, though.

At my work working from home just means I'm on a free and extra holiday. I know this because every meeting at anyone's supposed to be involved in on teams doesn't happen and nobody answers their phone and one seems to care. What sucks is only certain people in certain positions are allowed to do it because the rest of us clearly cannot do our jobs from home and as such we are missing out on the free ride.

Personally I have to commute only around 12 miles to the office and 12 miles back, however I don’t drive so it’s public transport there and back. So one bus and one train each way. This should be 40 minutes journey time, but this is the UK and it takes about 2 hours.
That would kill me.

We briefly looked into busses in town when my niece moved in with us. For her to get to campus, it was a 75-90 minute bus ride. I drive that route every day in 15 minutes.

The price, while not outrageous, didn't make it worth it, either. A 31 day bus pass is $42. My gas to work and back comes to about $50.

Personally I have to commute only around 12 miles to the office and 12 miles back, however I don’t drive so it’s public transport there and back. So one bus and one train each way. This should be 40 minutes journey time, but this is the UK and it takes about 2 hours. So 4 hours wasted each day and £1500 per year (with a pass) in costs.

Have you considered cycling? Christ you could even walk 12 miles in less than 2 hours but by bike it’d take 30 minutes, maybe less if you bomb it.

Last edited:
Have you considered cycling? Christ you could even walk 12 miles in less than 2 hours but by bike it’d take 30 minutes, maybe less if you bomb it.
I’m way too lazy and I have loads of stuff to take into the office which doesn’t quite fit into a single backpack.

Based on Google maps it’s about an hour by bike. Plus that rout takes you via a motorway junction :lol: which I don’t think is a good idea.

IMG_0072.jpeg

Google maps also shows it’s a 4 hour walk

Plus I work a 4 day shift so it’s an 8am start and 6pm finish.

TB
That would kill me.

We briefly looked into busses in town when my niece moved in with us. For her to get to campus, it was a 75-90 minute bus ride. I drive that route every day in 15 minutes.

The price, while not outrageous, didn't make it worth it, either. A 31 day bus pass is $42. My gas to work and back comes to about $50.
By car it’s about a 20 minute drive.

By public transport the whole day turns to about 14 hours with travelling. I did it for 14 years and it’s a killer.

Last edited:
TB
That would kill me.

I'm quite lucky that I live in a capital with good public transport links that are also partially subsidised so it's cheap. I have a year pass for all public transport in Bratislava for €240.

Edit: I suppose that also influences my preference for working away from home. It's still an accessable comfort for me.

Last edited:
Something tells me that you haven't walked or ridden bikes a lot, or are getting kilometres and miles mixed up. I'm fit as heck for a normal office worker and can just about cover 4,5 miles in an hour, absolutely no way to do six, much less for two hours straight. I also ride about 2000 miles a year and 24 mph average is definitely undoable over such a distance without a pro level road bike, roads flat as a pool table and no traffic anywhere. Or a pro rider for that matter.

At my last employer, I had a 90 mile round trip. I'm never going back to that kind of commute...
Yeah that would be a bit much for me also.

Mine is 57km each way which on a good run (most days) takes 40 minutes. Sharing the drive days with a mate helps as well as working 7 days a fortnight. The job is simply too good to give up for something closer to home and unfortunately in my line of work working from home isn't possible. If it was I'd be all over it.

Something tells me that you haven't walked or ridden bikes a lot, or are getting kilometres and miles mixed up. I'm fit as heck for a normal office worker and can just about cover 4,5 miles in an hour, absolutely no way to do six, much less for two hours straight. I also ride about 2000 miles a year and 24 mph average is definitely undoable over such a distance without a pro level road bike, roads flat as a pool table and no traffic anywhere. Or a pro rider for that matter.

I used to be a postman, in Bristol. So i know quite a lot about walking and cycling.

I used to be a postman, in Bristol. So i know quite a lot about walking and cycling.
At a relatively good fitness level I was doing 12 miles into central London (Nelson) in just under an hour. Anything faster than that ruins a mornings work.

I’m impressed if you were doing 24mph for 30 minutes and arriving at work to start the day.

10:25 minute miles is Strava's average global running pace. Hitting 10 minute miles for two hours straight is at the very least called jogging, and I've never seen my post lady jogging... the only thing she's doing in sub ten minutes is a bottle of prosecco.

Also 24mph average on a bike seems a bit much. Might be sustainable for a while on the flat in the open, but in urban areas I'm struggling to imagine that's possible without top notch cycling infrastructure. I cycle to work, my two way average is probably only 13mph, in part because of the local cycling infrastructure, I wouldn't even be able to do 24mph average in the car.

I'd rather listen to Limp Bizkit than any rap artist. I don't care what people say, he's better than Travis Scott, Kanye West, Kendrick Lamar, Ice Cube, NWA, Dr.Dre, Biggie, Tupac, Pitbull, DMX, The Notorious B.I.G, Snoop Dogg, Eminem, Drake, Ludicrous, Will.I.Am, Nicki Minaj, Stormzy, Flo Rida and M.O.P. Limp Bizkit just has soo much more energy compared to all these other "artists" who just talk about the same kind of things for a few minutes without any sort of conviction. I don't hear a whole lot of artistry coming through when I listen to that style of music, and the "singers" sound like they're bored most of the time. The good thing about Limp Bizkit is that there's more than one person making the music with REAL instruments. A lot of these rappers aren't musicians at all, with pretty much all the "music" being left to a producer who goes uncredited.

Last edited:
I'd rather listen to Limp Bizkit than any rap artist. I don't care what people say, he's better than Travis Scott, Kanye West, Kendrick Lamar, Ice Cube, NWA, Dr.Dre, Biggie, Tupac, Pitbull, DMX, The Notorious B.I.G, Snoop Dogg, Eminem, Drake, Ludicrous, Will.I.Am, Nicki Minaj, Stormzy, Flo Rida and M.O.P. Limp Bizkit just has soo much more energy compared to all these other "artists" who just talk about the same kind of things for a few minutes without any sort of conviction. I don't hear a whole lot of artistry coming through when I listen to that style of music, and the "singers" sound like they're bored most of the time. The good thing about Limp Bizkit is that there's more than one person making the music with REAL instruments. A lot of these rappers aren't musicians at all, with pretty much all the "music" being left to a producer who goes uncredited.
I only read the first little bit of that post to say you nailed this thread.

Have you listened to Fred Durst sing? I love the Bizkit as much as the next weirdo, but Fred’s not a Maria Carrey level vocalist, and neither is the band all that magical.

You’ve dropped a load of names, half of which I don’t know, but some are top tier performers and lyrical masters, along with some chumps. Bizkit is Nu Metal, it’s rap, but it’s not rap music.

How bored are you to be trolling 2 threads on the same forum?

How bored are you to be trolling 2 threads on the same forum?

In the guy’s defence, this is the unpopular opinions thread. He’s allowed to have opinions, however wrong you think they may be. I don’t agree with him either, but it’s wrong to call him a troll. It’s just a matter of ‘there’s no accounting for taste’.

@ScottPuss20, that's an awfully narrow list of rap artists to compare to Limp Bizkit. There are actually quite a few rap/hip hop artists, that defecate on Limp Bizkit, from a great height, (IMHO). And that's both in terms of energy and conviction, and who also have the ability to play their own musical instruments.

I'm not particularly into rap, and I like Limp Bizkit - but it's a bit of a stretch to say that the other artists listed don't have any "energy" compared to them. Rap God by Eminem and Break Stuff by Limp Bizkit are both songs I enjoy - but like any genre, I need to be in a certain mood to listen to either of them.

And like @W3H5 said, Nu-Metal and Rap are completely different genres. Comparing Limp Bizkit to other bands within the Nu-Metal genre might be more relevant (eg. Slipknot with their self-titled album), though they're completely different bands with very different styles (though Slipknot does have "real" instruments - (sic) might be a good comparison).

Even then, Nu-Metal is a massive umbrella term for bands completely different to each other - Slipknot, Limp Bizkit, and Linkin Park sound nothing alike, though are all grouped under the same sub-genre.

So basically, listen to the music you like and don't bother comparing your favourite artists to the success of other, potentially more mainstream artists (though Limp Bizkit is hardly a small indie band).

Last edited:
@ScottPuss20, that's an awfully narrow list of rap artists to compare to Limp Bizkit. There are actually quite a few rap/hip hop artists, that defecate on Limp Bizkit, from a great height, (IMHO). And that's both in terms of energy and conviction, and who also have the ability to play their own musical instruments.
Please show me who these artists are.

Here's another unpopular opinion: I don't like the GTP vs Mariah Carey game.

Please show me who these artists are.
I don't really see the point in doing so to be honest. Me reeling off a list of hip hop/rap artists/bands etc, and I don't think it will change your mind or the opinion you hold anyway. I just merely offered my own opinion (whether that be popular or unpopular) to counter yours.
And as @Nexus has said above, it's kind of like comparing apples to oranges with Nu-Metal being a different genre to rap and hip hop, which thus makes it difficult to make a side by side comparison.

I'd rather listen to Limp Bizkit than any rap artist. I don't care what people say, he's better than Travis Scott, Kanye West, Kendrick Lamar, Ice Cube, NWA, Dr.Dre, Biggie, Tupac, Pitbull, DMX, The Notorious B.I.G, Snoop Dogg, Eminem, Drake, Ludicrous, Will.I.Am, Nicki Minaj, Stormzy, Flo Rida and M.O.P. Limp Bizkit just has soo much more energy compared to all these other "artists" who just talk about the same kind of things for a few minutes without any sort of conviction
It's painfully obvious you don't know the first thing about hip-hop because many of those artists do not talk about the same sort of thing. Tupac rapped about stuff that was virtually unheard of in hip-hop. Look at the lyrics for Brenda's Got a Baby, not only was that revolutionary for the time, it was a male rapping about it and doing it sincerely. NWA took on corrupt police in LA, got investigated by the federal government over it, and were even arrest because of it. They were bringing to light a very real issue of their time.

I don't know much about new rap so I can't comment much on those artists, but I do know quite a bit about early hip-hop and with many of those artists you mentioned, you're flat out wrong that they all rapped about the same stuff. Yes they had some songs about guns, girls, money, etc. but they also had a ton of songs that were very political and had a message in them. Some of them didn't resonate with people other than poor, inner city, blacks though.
A lot of these rappers aren't musicians at all, with pretty much all the "music" being left to a producer who goes uncredited.
Just because rappers don't play traditional instruments, many MCs used turntables as their instruments. When you're poor and living in the inner city with no real chance to go anywhere, you use what you can, which happened to be turntables. In some cases, they could get drum machines like an 808. But there are a bunch of rappers who are musically inclined and can play instruments. Hip-hop has its early roots in funk and jazz. Plenty of rappers continued with that and learned to play brass, bass, or drums.

Also, nevermind that Limp Bizkit really isn't hip-hop at all, but Nu Metal. There's some crossover, especially with their rock rap songs, but comparing Limp Bizkit to a group like NWA doesn't really make any sense. If you're going to compare them to a hip-hop group, maybe Run-DMC would work.

It's painfully obvious you don't know the first thing about hip-hop because many of those artists do not talk about the same sort of thing. Tupac rapped about stuff that was virtually unheard of in hip-hop. Look at the lyrics for Brenda's Got a Baby, not only was that revolutionary for the time, it was a male rapping about it and doing it sincerely. NWA took on corrupt police in LA, got investigated by the federal government over it, and were even arrest because of it. They were bringing to light a very real issue of their time.

I don't know much about new rap so I can't comment much on those artists, but I do know quite a bit about early hip-hop and with many of those artists you mentioned, you're flat out wrong that they all rapped about the same stuff. Yes they had some songs about guns, girls, money, etc. but they also had a ton of songs that were very political and had a message in them. Some of them didn't resonate with people other than poor, inner city, blacks though.

Just because rappers don't play traditional instruments, many MCs used turntables as their instruments. When you're poor and living in the inner city with no real chance to go anywhere, you use what you can, which happened to be turntables. In some cases, they could get drum machines like an 808. But there are a bunch of rappers who are musically inclined and can play instruments. Hip-hop has its early roots in funk and jazz. Plenty of rappers continued with that and learned to play brass, bass, or drums.

Also, nevermind that Limp Bizkit really isn't hip-hop at all, but Nu Metal. There's some crossover, especially with their rock rap songs, but comparing Limp Bizkit to a group like NWA doesn't really make any sense. If you're going to compare them to a hip-hop group, maybe Run-DMC would work.
Part of the reason why I make such commentary is that a lot of people "hate" Fred Durst for the meme, not because people genuinely dislike him. It's probably fair to suggest that these people who hate on him listen to music that I'd consider to be worse. OK perhaps I shouldn't have singled out artists like Tupac and NWA because they had significant cultural influences, but the "modern" rappers lack talent and conviction in my opinion. If you're hating on Limp Bizkit but listening to unintelligible crap by Travis Scott and getting on "the griddy", you should just shut up leave us nu-metal fans alone.

As someone who isn't a fan of most rap myself, rap can be quite diverse.

The element of rap thats important is the Lyrics and Beat and if you listen to Lyrics, they are quite different. I'm not a Lyric guy with music so it isn't for me but that isn't to say its horrible all round. Perhaps you are more about the instruments and melody which Rap isn't usually known for.

Music is incredibly subjective based around users taste. I'm an avid Man with a Mission fan but no matter what arguments I make, it won't stop people from calling it generic J pop garbage

Last edited:
but the "modern" rappers lack talent and conviction in my opinion.
I don’t think that’s an unpopular opinion at all.
The airwaves are polluted with modern rappers that suck.

The only modern hip hop artist I can stomach is The Weeknd, who is not a rapper, but does the chick, drugs and ego thing.
Much of that is pop/R&B anyway, although lots of the themes are also quite metal, just without the heaviness.

I don't really know how unpopular it is to state this, especially these days, but I hate social media. (And this does include online dating apps, as I feel many of their faults are connected to those of social media at large.) I hate how what used to be free has been more or less bastardized into a privatized opiate for the masses that feeds on "engagement" with "content," meant to garner ad dollars or premium subscriptions for neoliberal corporations that don't care about anything but their next quarterly reports.

Heck, MatchGroup - the head of the dating app monopoly - isn't even good at making money, seeing how their stock price has fallen over 75% over the last two years.

I hate how superficial it is, and even when I get attention - such as when I posted a nice photo of a Maserati GranTurismo and got over a hundred likes - it means absolutely nothing to me. Do you know what I seriously value more than a "like" on social media? A goddamn Zimbabwean dollar. I'd rather discuss the photos I take with someone I care about like my sister, and via a text message or email.

And networking? Ha! I don't see the use of using social media to do that - not when you can just contact someone by email, or perhaps get into a club, or take a class on something you want to learn more about.

I'm tired to trying to "crack the algorithms." I'm tired of how people are investing tons of time (and possibly money, especially for dating apps) only to get so very little. I could go on, but I'm afraid I have larger fish to fry in my life - indeed, I feel like the best social media platform...is reality itself.

Last edited:
I get your point, but I don't see GTP as being like Xitter, FaceBook, Reddit, Instagram - y'know? It's a more specialized forum that predates social media as we know it. It's not like everyone's posts on GTP are trying to "game the algorithm" for a fleeting morsel of attention. It feels closer-knit here, too, whereas Xitter/FB/IG/etc. just feels like a faceless ocean of nobodies. Never mind the fact that it's not like provocative threads get "increased engagement" or whatever.

Last edited:
Back