Tuner Garages

• Thread starter Kent
  • 2,497 comments
Yup, it was my intention to keep the tune very modest. I avoided higher downforce since it causes some erratic behavior on high-speed undulations when matched with the car's sensitivity to steering input at higher speeds. Realistic streetability notwithstanding, it's hard for me to justify that downforce for a street tune. But that's the nature of street-tuned cars: you must always have flaws.

So now all my entrants are posted and ready to go- all that's left now is to wait for the judges' verdicts as they come in.

So now all my entrants are posted and ready to go- all that's left now is to wait for the judges' verdicts as they come in.

Which is nailbiting!! :scared::nervous:

I'm pretty sure the 2000GTO isn't going to fare as well as I'd hoped - I ruined it with a badly-thought-out last-second update that's left it much softer and sloppier than I wanted. :ouch: That, and Greycap's Europa, need I say it again, is a monster!

BUT, I'm pretty sure the Elan E.P. Special is going to make a nice showing, and come Phase 2, I have supreme confidence in the Berlinette Rallye. :)

People who initially planned Esprits for the 80's division seem to be getting scared away from it too, so maybe I'll have a go at taming her after all!

Vintage Tuner Cup Entry - 1973-1979

Mitsubishi Lancer 1600 GSR '73

223 bhp, 254 Nm, 750 kg, PWR 3.360 kg/bhp

Can be bought as new from the Legendary section of Mitsubishi.

Parts to fit:
Racing Exhaust
Racing Brakes
Brake Balance Controller
Turbo Kit Stage 2
Port Polishing
Engine Balancing
Racing Chip
FC Transmission
Triple-plate Clutch
Racing Flywheel
FC LSD
Carbon Driveshaft
FC Suspension
S3 Tyres
Weight Reduction Stage 3
Oil Change
Rear Wing
New Wheels (optional)

Suspension
Spring Rate: 4.0 / 5.0
Ride Height: 120 / 130
Bound: 2 / 4
Rebound: 5 / 8
Camber: 1.5 / 1.0
Toe: 2 / -1
Stabilizers: 2 / 5

Brake Controller
Brakes: 4 / 8

Transmission

Note: First, reset the gearbox to the default settings, then set the Auto setting, and only then set the gear ratios.

Gear Ratios
1st: 2.471
2nd: 1.737
3rd: 1.342
4th: 1.103
5th: 0.930
6th: 0.799
Final Gear: 3.750

Autoset 10

LSD
Initial: 10
Acceleration: 20
Deceleration: 5

Downforce
Amount: 30 / 20

Driving Aids
ASM Oversteer: 0
ASM Understeer: 0
TCS: 0

Powerful? No. Fast? No. Nimble? Oh yes. The old Lancer proves that clever engineering indeed trumps raw power, handling like a dream through the twisties and still having something to say on the straights despite boasting an engine sized like a brick. It settles into a slight power oversteer in second gear corners although it doesn't feel like it at first. Just keep it floored and let the turbo do its job, you'll fly onto the straight. If you want more or less top speed, touch the final ratio only.

"Control lap times" for those who want them:

1'22,6xx on Autumn Ring
2'05,1xx on Grand Valley Speedway

Vintage Tuner Cup Entry - 1980-1988

Audi Quattro '82

375 bhp, 449 Nm, 1096 kg, PWR 2.920 kg/bhp

Can be bought as new from the Legendary section of Audi.

Parts to fit:
Racing Exhaust
Racing Brakes
Brake Balance Controller
Turbo Kit Stage 3
Racing Intercooler
Port Polishing
Engine Balancing
Racing Chip
FC Transmission
Triple-plate Clutch
Racing Flywheel
FC LSD
Carbon Driveshaft
FC Suspension
S3 Tyres
Variable Centre Differential
Weight Reduction Stage 3
Oil Change
Rear Wing
New Wheels (optional)

Suspension
Spring Rate: 5.0 / 5.0
Ride Height: 135 / 145
Bound: 2 / 4
Rebound: 5 / 8
Camber: 1.5 / 2.0
Toe: 2 / -2
Stabilizers: 1 / 2

Brake Controller
Brakes: 4 / 8

Transmission

Note: First, reset the gearbox to the default settings, then set the Auto setting, and only then set the gear ratios.

Gear Ratios
1st: 2.614
2nd: 1.838
3rd: 1.444
4th: 1.181
5th: 0.986
6th: 0.845
Final Gear: 3.650

Autoset 10

LSD
Initial: 5 / 10
Acceleration: 5 / 15
Deceleration: 5 / 5

VCD
Variable Centre Differential: 20

Downforce
Amount: 30 / 25

Driving Aids

The old Quattro was the car that began the AWD era in sports car and thus one of the true modern classics. It has gained a reputation as a hopelessly understeery car in this game but I wanted to show it has more to give. While it's slower than other cars with similar PWR, less nimble than cars with similar weight, it's hard to beat when it comes to improving a car over the stock settings. Listen to the car, it needs a different driving style from the mainstream models. This is a complete turnaround. If you want more or less top speed, touch the final ratio only.

1'21,0xx on Autumn Ring
2'01,4xx on Grand Valley Speedway

Vintage Tuner Cup Entry - Club Racers

Lancia Stratos '73

331 bhp, 373 Nm, 891 kg, PWR 2.694 kg/bhp

Can be bought as new from the Legendary section of Lancia.

Parts to buy:
Racing Exhaust
Racing Brakes
Brake Balance Controller
NA Tuning Stage 3
Port Polishing
Engine Balancing
Racing Chip
FC Transmission
Triple-plate Clutch
Racing Flywheel
FC LSD
FC Suspension
R2 Tyres
Weight Reduction Stage 3
Oil Change
Rear Wing
New Wheels (optional)

Suspension
Spring Rate: 5.0 / 6.0
Ride Height: 120 / 130
Bound: 3 / 6
Rebound: 6 / 6
Camber: 1.5 / 1.5
Toe: 2 / 0
Stabilizers: 3 / 4

Brake Controller
Brakes: 4 / 3

Transmission

Gear Ratios
1st: 3.224
2nd: 2.267
3rd: 1.763
4th: 1.439
5th: 1.221
6th: 1.043
Final Gear: 3.500

Autoset 10

LSD
Initial: 10
Acceleration: 30
Deceleration: 20

Downforce
Amount: 22 / 30

Driving Aids

This is the closest thing to a Ferrari we can get in GT4, the great Dino V6 screaming to the redline makes a car enthusiast chill. While the stock Stratos is the definition of slipperiness this setup encourages pushing the car as hard as it can go. It still travels playfully sideways into corners and may cause a surprise when changing direction at high speeds so quick reflexes may come in handy. It's a true Italian sportscar, sleek and temperamental but at the same time, oh so enjoyable. If you want more or less top speed, touch the final ratio only.

1'15,2xx on Autumn Ring
1'52,3xx on Grand Valley Speedway

NOTE TO MODS (especially Kent) - I've made three posts in a row and I know it. The reason to this was to clarify the linking in the judging post. Feel free to merge if you see it to be appropriate.

Hey there :) CraftyLandShark got me interested in joining this Cup, so I've got me a '88 Supra 3.0GT to participate with. Still in development, but I'm very pleased with it so far. If its okay I'll submit it when I'm 100% happy with it.

Perfect! 👍 The submission deadline for Phase 2 isn't until February 16th so you have plenty of time. And if you have any free time, we really need judges for Phase 1. Pretty please? :P

<edit> Greycap, I just noticed that the Stratos has S3 tires listed. Is this deliberate? The club racers category allows R1's and R2's as well. You did say it needs to be driven sideways, so perhaps this is intentional.

A few of the cars on the list are rare, and I'll have to redo a few races to obtain them (I sold the Alfa from the 1000miles! race :( ), but I'll see what I can do. :)

Also my Supra is near completion, just have a few things to look at and it should be fine for posting!

Sweet! That's definitely been one of the challenges of judging this competition - the extreme rarity of some of the cars.

This Supra should be pretty interesting. It's always informative to see how different tuners harness extremely powerful cars on sports tires.

Ohh man, picking a good car for this one is hard...

Anyway, here's my list of good cars to consider:

Audi Quattro '83
BMW 2002 turbo '73
Buick GNX '88
Ford RS200 '84
Honda Accord Coupé '88
Izuzu Piazza XE (haha)
Jensen interceptor MkIII '73
Lancia Stratos '73 (!)
Lotus espirit turbo HC
Rx-7 GT-limited '85
Mitsu lancer EX '83
Nissan Fairlady Z 300ZX (Z31) 1983
Nissan SILVIA K's (S13) 1988
Nissan SKYLINE GTS-R (R31) 1987
Nissan SKYLINE Hard Top 2000 RS-X Turbo C (R30) 1984
Nissan SKYLINE Hard Top 2000 Turbo RS (R30) 1983
Peugeot 205 Turbo 16 1985
RUF BTR 1986 (!)
RUF CTR "Yellow Bird" 1987 (!)
Toyota CELICA 2000GT-FOUR (ST165) 1986
Toyota CELICA 2000GT-R (ST162) 1986
Toyota SPRINTER TRUENO GT-APEX (AE86) 1983
Toyota SUPRA 3.0GT Turbo A 1988
Volkswagen Golf I GTI 1976
Volvo 240 GLT Estate 1988

(This aren't all of them, filtered out the trash. If I've missed one, just tell!)

Sweet! That's definitely been one of the challenges of judging this competition - the extreme rarity of some of the cars.

This Supra should be pretty interesting. It's always informative to see how different tuners harness extremely powerful cars on sports tires.

After looking at the list, theres only 2 or 3 cars I actually have to win, the rest I can either buy new or just keep advancing the days until it shows up used. So, I should be able to hand in results by the 16th easily! :)

My Supra is pretty much done now, theres nothing I feel I could add or tweak on it that would make much of a difference. I'll write up the settings and post it up here in a few minutes.

Ohh man, picking a good car for this one is hard...

Anyway, here's my list of good cars to consider:

Audi Quattro '83
BMW 2002 turbo '73
Buick GNX '88
Ford RS200 '84
Honda Accord Coupé '88
Izuzu Piazza XE (haha)
Jensen interceptor MkIII '73
Lancia Stratos '73 (!)
Lotus espirit turbo HC
Rx-7 GT-limited '85
Mitsu lancer EX '83
Nissan Fairlady Z 300ZX (Z31) 1983
Nissan SILVIA K's (S13) 1988
Nissan SKYLINE GTS-R (R31) 1987
Nissan SKYLINE Hard Top 2000 RS-X Turbo C (R30) 1984
Nissan SKYLINE Hard Top 2000 Turbo RS (R30) 1983
Peugeot 205 Turbo 16 1985
RUF BTR 1986 (!)
RUF CTR "Yellow Bird" 1987 (!)
Toyota CELICA 2000GT-FOUR (ST165) 1986
Toyota CELICA 2000GT-R (ST162) 1986
Toyota SPRINTER TRUENO GT-APEX (AE86) 1983
Toyota SUPRA 3.0GT Turbo A 1988
Volkswagen Golf I GTI 1976
Volvo 240 GLT Estate 1988

(This aren't all of them, filtered out the trash. If I've missed one, just tell!)

Need I say more? :sly:

But that's the nature of street-tuned cars: you must always have flaws.
Sure about that? Hehe.
I know of an RX-8 that has something to say about that...
Who made it? Surely, it can't be the one you made, sans the optimal transmission! And, either way, a Renesis engine tuned to 400hp is not a street-tuned car. Tuners are having lots of trouble wringing much power from that unit in real life; 400hp is pure-race spec, and the engine is about to grenade itself. Remember my suggestion in your thread? 330hp and transmission ratios can give same pace for less money and more a-spec points. (I've still not critiqued the car's handling because I tried out my new DFP a while ago, and now I am very rough and imprecise with DS2. I'll be able to actually play GT4 again when my cockpit arrives.)

Disclaimer: The quote of RJ isn't an exact quote; I've changed the format to be easier to look at. But don't worry, I've not touched the text.

While the trans is not optimal for you, it works perfectly for me. The car stays in the powerband well, and due to the blower it has the torque to pull even off 4 grand in 6th (not horridly hard, but there's pull).

So yeah. It's about perfect.

And regearing it is such an easy task that it's not funny. All I was trying to say was that street car-esque tunes need NOT have flaws in the handling.

As to the motor: Hell. It may as well be a 13b with the peripheral exhaust port; I know that it's possible to get away with 400hp on boost easily. (200hp NA, add 15-16psi of intercooled boost, keep the detonation unfriendlies away, and you should have at minimum 375hp. Of course, people are afraid of running FI on the renesis because of its compression ratio... Less boost then, smart ones.)

:P

Are there not ECU software modifications to lower the Renesis' compression ratio? I know on the SVX we drop it from 10:1 to ~8.5:1 to allow for enough boost to make a real difference, and to allow us to run on 87 octane.

<edit> Greycap, I just noticed that the Stratos has S3 tires listed. Is this deliberate? The club racers category allows R1's and R2's as well. You did say it needs to be driven sideways, so perhaps this is intentional.
D'oh. :ouch: That's what one gets for updating an old setup sheet. Edited. 👍

D'oh. :ouch: That's what one gets for updating an old setup sheet. Edited. 👍

So that 1'42 lap time was on R2s? *wipes sweat from fore-head* That would have been one quick good handling car on sport tyres to pull those times.

Vintage Tuner Cup Entry; 1981-1988

Toyota Supra 3.0GT Turbo A '88

Supra23.jpg

Where to buy: Used 80's car lot, not that rare. Find one in black if you can. :P

Power: 303BHP@5600rpm (car had 57,000+miles when tuned, might be more/less depending on mileage)
Torque: 313.84ft.lb@3200rpm
Weight: 1303kg
Power to Weight ratio: 4.295

Equipped parts:
Semi-racing exhaust
Sports brakes
Brake controller
Port polish
Engine balancing
Racing chip
Fully custom transmission
Triple clutch
Racing flywheel
Variable LSD
Carbon driveshaft
Racing Intercooler
Racing suspension
S3 tyres
Weight reduction stage 3
Rollcage
Body refresh
Oil change

Settings:
Brake balance

Brake balance &#8211; F: 5 R: 4

Suspension
Spring rate &#8211; F: 10.0 R: 8.0
Ride height &#8211; F: 100 R:100
Damper bounce &#8211; F: 7 R: 7
Damper rebound &#8211; F: 7 R: 7
Camber angle &#8211; F: 3.0 R: 1.5
Toe angle &#8211; F: -2 R: 0
Stabiliser &#8211; F: 6 R: 5

Gearbox
Auto settings - 12
1st gear &#8211; 3.000
2nd gear &#8211; 2.000
3rd gear &#8211; 1.450
4th gear &#8211; 1.150
5th gear &#8211; 0.950
6th gear &#8211; 0.800
Final &#8211; 3.700

AIDS:
NONE!

LSD
Initial torque &#8211; 15
LSD acceleration &#8211; 35
LSD deceleration &#8211; 10

Comments:
Originally, this Turbo A Supra was a boat. High weight and low power just dont make a good sports car. And the suspension was made of jello. By reducing the weight by nearly 270kg, and boosting power by 70bhp, the Supra brought its power to weight ratio way down. As a result acceleration is improved, with power availible all over the rev range. The suspension was given a massive overhaul, but biased slighty towards comfort, to keep the car's character intact. Braking ability is improved greatly over standard thanks to uprated disks and pads. This is a very fun car to drive, with some 2nd gear drift when you boot it. Have fun with it!

Looks good mate 👍 But apparently my opinion is always wrong according to others here. Still, I'm glad my GNX is up against a Supra, turbo 6 from US of A vs turbo 6 from the land of the rising sun.

Thanks 👍

I'm interested in seeing how my Supra does against the GNX. They are both similar in spec. RWD, inline-6 turbo, black paint... :D

So, 2 weeks until deadline for the club racers and 80's entries? allrighty. I'm not sure if I'll have anything to toss at you in the club racer portion, but my 80's pick has already been done. some of you might've got some hints from me already. let's just say that without tuning this car is both slow and understeery, but now it's swift and tailhappy. and with a wing it's competing in class above it's own..:sly:

Thanks 👍

I'm interested in seeing how my Supra does against the GNX. They are both similar in spec. RWD, inline-6 turbo, black paint... :D

Well I hate to be a nagging nitpicker, but the GNX is a V6. That shouldn't matter though- they both have black paint so it won't get any closer :sly: Good luck to ya.

Edit: VTiRoj, can I ask you quite the serious question? Here I am building your Supra, and only got 286hp with the parts you listed. With a Racing Large Intercooler it brings the exact power rating of 303hp like yours. Does your Supra have the RC Large Intercooler or is this another case of different versions, different power?

Edit 2: Actually it could just be that I was domb and bought a super high mileage one.

Vintage Tuner Cup Entry, 1981-1988 category

AE86 Hachiroku'83

266 bhp, 283 Nm, 855 kg, 3.219Kg/bhp PWR

Low mileage special from 80's used car lot. If you use worn out one, apply chassis refresher plan before roll cage.

Parts to fit:
Racing Exhaust
Racing Brakes
Brake Balance Controller
Turbo Kit Stage 2
Port Polishing
Engine Balancing
Racing Chip
FC Transmission
Triple-plate Clutch
Racing Flywheel
FC LSD
Carbon Driveshaft
FC Suspension
S3 Tyres
Weight Reduction Stage 3
Rigidity Increase (rollcage)
Oil Change
New Wheels (optional)

Suspension
Spring Rate: 10.0 / 9.0
Ride Height: 120 / 150
Bound: 2 / 3
Rebound: 8 / 8
Camber: 3.0 / 1.5
Toe: -2 / -1
Stabilizers: 1 / 3

Brake Controller
Brakes: 5 / 9

Transmission

Gear Ratios
1st: 2.379
2nd: 1.673
3rd: 1.310
4th: 1.060
5th: 0.880
6th: 0.750
Final Gear: 4.300

Autoset 10

LSD
Initial: 20
Acceleration: 14
Deceleration: 5

Driving Aids

mildly tail happy setup for this iconic cult car. Same setup can be applied to SS Trueno for similar handling. Naturally, gearbox needs to be revised then. Anyway, I consider this to be a big improvement over the stock AE86, that suffers from stubborn understeer and lack of power. Of course the tyres and lack of downforce are limiting this car a bit, but at least it brings out the work that was done to the suspension.

Well I hate to be a nagging nitpicker, but the GNX is a V6. That shouldn't matter though- they both have black paint so it won't get any closer :sly: Good luck to ya.

Edit: VTiRoj, can I ask you quite the serious question? Here I am building your Supra, and only got 286hp with the parts you listed. With a Racing Large Intercooler it brings the exact power rating of 303hp like yours. Does your Supra have the RC Large Intercooler or is this another case of different versions, different power?

Edit 2: Actually it could just be that I was domb and bought a super high mileage one.

V6, inline 6, still 6 :D Good luck to ya too ;)

No your absolutely correct, I forgot to list the RC intercooler. :guilty: Mine is also super high mileage (57k+) :sly:

At this rate, Phase 2 might end up more hotly contested than Phase 1, if that's possible ...

I like the idea of a controllable Supra 3.0 - it's a capable chassis that too many tuners cram WAY too much power into. It ought to do rather well!

It's a good thing there's not a Concours phase of the judging though, or those OEM wheels would have to go :sly:

And I figured it was only a matter of time 'til a Hachi showed up!

I'm also now discovering why no one followed through on their plans for an Esprit Turbo. Stability under braking? What's that? :P

Back