Tuner Garages

• Thread starter Kent
  • 2,497 comments
mafia_boy, i just built your Celica while scoping out the competition :sly:

I think you may have left the Autoset value out of your gearing instructions. I can't get the ratios anything close to what you have listed with the default Autoset of 5.

EEEK!!!!! ****, ****, ****, F**%*%$^#*^#)^$^*$#^#)*!@!!!!!!!!

1 sec.

*runs off to reload PS2*

Tranny Trick to 5.500, then autoset 3, then adjust each gear CLS and then return final ratio to 4.111.

As for LSD, it was 10,15,10.

I'm going to add these in the original post so there's no more confusion.

About to take it for a run here in a minute, I'll shoot you a PM with my impressions.

<edit> GT40MKII, noticed a couple things with yours - which tires do you want used? If you don't specify, we have to assume you're using default S2's. Also, you should list the oil change (i'm assuming you did it, as my power figures don't match yours unless I change the oil.) Also, which flywheel are you using? Your parts list just says "flywheel"

<2nd edit> MustangGT90210, having a problem with your gearing. I followed your instructions exactly (final drive to max, autoset to 25, then autoset to 14, then final to 4.362), and the ratios you list are nowhere near the neighborhood of what I'm allowed. 1st gear for me, under your settings, has an adjustment range of 1.722 to 2.166.

About to take it for a run here in a minute, I'll shoot you a PM with my impressions.

<edit> GT40MKII, noticed a couple things with yours - which tires do you want used? If you don't specify, we have to assume you're using default S2's. Also, you should list the oil change (i'm assuming you did it, as my power figures don't match yours unless I change the oil.) Also, which flywheel are you using? Your parts list just says "flywheel"

<2nd edit> MustangGT90210, having a problem with your gearing. I followed your instructions exactly (final drive to max, autoset to 25, then autoset to 14, then final to 4.362), and the ratios you list are nowhere near the neighborhood of what I'm allowed. 1st gear for me, under your settings, has an adjustment range of 1.722 to 2.166.

I'm sorry! I get confused with that tranny trick. After setting the final and autoset to 25, maybe adjust the final THEN the auto.

In a very limited context that's a partial truth, but if we're speaking "realistically", by your terms the Cizeta would be among the best cars in GT4. I don't think anyone here believes that :sly:

I don't think that the Cizeta is that quick anyway- but on your terms the Suzuki Capuccino is one of the best cars in the game, come on man.

Side Note: If anyone marks my Corvette down because they think it's too good- I will not be quiet :sly: Good luck to everyone. 👍

Also, Mustang, could it have been a typo? Those ratios look like they MAY be achieved with an autoset of 4....

EDIT: No, never mind. That would put them too close.

Also, Mustang, could it have been a typo? Those ratios look like they MAY be achieved with an autoset of 4....

EDIT: No, never mind. That would put them too close.

I'm pretty sure my autoset is 14. I'll go check it, see if I can reproduce those results.

EDIT: Final to 5.500, Autoset to 25. Final to 4.362. Autoset to 14.

That's how you get my ratios. I'll go edit that into the original post too.

Yep, you were right - set the final drive back first, then drop the autoset to 14. That seems to have done the trick 👍

<edit> should the graph look pretty bizarre? very close in gears 1-3, then a big gap, then spaced-out 4-6?

Yep, you were right - set the final drive back first, then drop the autoset to 14. That seems to have done the trick 👍

<edit> should the graph look pretty bizarre? very close in gears 1-3, then a big gap, then spaced-out 4-6?

Yep, that's how it's going to look.

I'm gonna have to tinker with those settings just for my personal enjoyment a little later. Longer 1st-3rd.

Cool 👍 Be sure to edit the revised directions into your post ... and I THINK that takes care of all the fixes I've run across! If anyone else notices any, don't hesitate to let the tuner know - he'll definitely want his car judged as he intended it to be!

Cool 👍 Be sure to edit the revised directions into your post ... and I THINK that takes care of all the fixes I've run across! If anyone else notices any, don't hesitate to let the tuner know - he'll definitely want his car judged as he intended it to be!

That's right!

I'll be busy for phase 2. Planning on entering a GNX and my Club Racer I'm not going to reveal!

GNX is hard, mine's a turnaround but it's still not the best handling. That's where I'm counting on points- improvement over stock.

I've got one each for the next two divisions, and I'm going to go for a Celica again in the 80's, or maybe the Supra......testing will decide which is better. ;)

Assume that if the builder includes a wing, that the default setting is 30/30, not 0/0. Also keep in mind as you judge that not all classic cars can take wings.
I assume this also includes setting all driving aids to zero with the default settings? Every single piece of s... err, steel will handle reasonably well with them on and thus mask the work the tuner has done to make the actual setup better.

I assume this also includes setting all driving aids to zero with the default settings? Every single piece of s... err, steel will handle reasonably well with them on and thus mask the work the tuner has done to make the actual setup better.

that is the one thing I change for the stock initial run, I always make sure that all aids are off.

Very good point Greycap, thanks! 👍 Judges' Guide edited to include that.

No. Not illegal.

So long as its either on sports tires (or assuming that it's a '69 SS or Z) going for the race category, you're fine.

It's not how you go about getting the end result; it's about how good the end result is.

Anyone who's interested (I doubt anyone at this stage of competition), I've updated my GNX to include a semi-racing exhaust and it now makes 413hp. Gets a lep time of 1.58.884 at GVS.

Read my Celica's stats.
ASM Oversteer: 0
ASM Understeer: 0
TCS: A BIG FAT 0

In comps like this I consider any 'aids' like those above as a subtraction on a judges scorecard. Like -1000000pts.!! :D

1/4 mile, 1000m and 300mph is a different story though. ;)

Indeed, but I was pointing to the comparison run with the default settings, just to make sure the aids are off then too. There's no point comparing the stock setup with 10 ASM Understeer to the custom setup with zero of it, the stock one would understeer less even if it is a worse setup.

Well I noticed earlier today that the entrants for Phase 2 are officially being taken. Obviously my Spitfire and mighty GNX are already up, but the golden crown is yet to come. Maybe it won't do as well in its category as my others hopefully will, but who knows. But obviously it's the fastest out of my cars and still fun to drive. Expect my C3 Corvette Club Racer to be up soon, hopefully within 24hrs of this post soon.

Can I vote that in the Club Racers category speed plays a larger part in judging please. Anyone can bolt up R grade tyres to a car that has less than 400hp and have a dream handler, but it won't compare for speed to a 600hp car that still handles well and has a good tune on it. And after all, race cars are built purely for speed aren't they? So speed should definitely play a role in the judging of the Club Racers

Taking the opposite side, pretty much everyone can make a 600 bhp car run fast laps just because of the tremendous acceleration. And there's little to no point in judging by speed as a deciding factor because it's not a secret that some of the most entertaining cars in the world are slow, it's handling what counts. Or is there someone who says the Elise and MX-5 are hopeless cars because they're left to dust by some land barges that have huge engines in them?

Well... I may be slightly out of place speaking up at this point... :ouch:

Regardless of tire type, a judge should evaluate the total package. That said, the total package has to be consider relative to the competition and not in a stand alone sense.

Take the Cien of our previous tuner challenge. Although it was an excellent car, the base car and the tuned car were a totally different class of car compared to the competition. Only a handful of real world cars would be comprable to the Cien in GT4. Using that Cien in a comparison with S2Ks and 2KGTs is extreme overkill and instantly puts the Cien at a disadvantage- it must be faster than everything and it has to be flawless in comparison to the competition, otherwise the total package and realization of potential may not be as great as that of another competitor.

Regarding Tires...
There should never be a Sports tire / Race tire comparison.
nd 4 holden spd
Can I vote that in the Club Racers category speed plays a larger part in judging please. Anyone can bolt up R grade tyres to a car that has less than 400hp and have a dream handler, but it won't compare for speed to a 600hp car that still handles well and has a good tune on it. And after all, race cars are built purely for speed aren't they? So speed should definitely play a role in the judging of the Club Racers

If the "less than 400hp dream handler" is capable of matching a "600hp car that still handles well" around a track then it should definately get credit for keeping up with less power.
However, when the 600hp walks away on straights, should the totally different type of race car with far less power be faulted?

This is where the problem comes up...
Race cars need to be very specifically defined by technical specifications if they are to compete in the same class.

All race car entries should handle well but if one car of the group (that is relatively closely packed in tech specs) comes out with more than 200 extra hp, the extra 200hp shouldn't get an advantage for speed.
What happens when the tester insist on using midfield (happend to me last time around I think)...

Midfield is the kind of course where a GT300 Super GT car would lose to a well driven Cien. What good is there in letting those two be compared on a course like Midfield? Can that really tell you anything about the handling of the car?
Now consider that with R tires on the Cien, does not become more insane?! :rolleyes:

When Racing tires are involved, the cars need to be properly matched on technical specifications.

Also keep in mind that "speed" can be more than just lap times or top gear mph/kph.

Bottom line:
I would be careful as a judge in the Racing class (although I'm not going to be judging the racing class).

Latest Posts

Back