Tuner Garages

• Thread starter Kent
  • 2,497 comments
I know from painful and frustrating experience how the Esprits are. My guess is that when it was under development, the test driver managed to scream "Evil Spirit!" before dying in ball of fire, but the message was so blurred that the staff only heard e(crackle)sp(crackle)rit! :scared:

'04 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VIII MR GSR​

IMG0009-1.jpg
IMG0007-1.jpg

IMG0006-1.jpg
IMG0005-1.jpg

Specs:
HP: 570
Torque: 496ft-lbs
Weight: 1190kg
Drivetrain: 4WD
Engine: L4
Displacement: 1997cc

Parts to Buy:
Racing Exhaust
Brake Controller
Racing Chip
Port Polish
Engine Balancing
Original Suspension
Stage 3 Turbo
Racing Intercooler
Full Custom Transmission
Triple Plate Clutch
Racing Flywheel
Carbon Driveshaft
R3 Tires
Stage 1 Weight Reduction
Stage 2 Weight Reduction
Stage 3 Weight Reduction
Oil Change

Settings:
Front/Rear
Spring Rate:5.8/4.6
Ride Height:76/76
Shock Absorbers:7/7
Camber Angle:2.3/1.6
Toe Angle:0/0
Stabilizers:5/5

Gear Ratios Auto Set to: 15

Brakes:
Front/Rear
5/5

Driving Aids
ASM (oversteer):0
ASM (understeer):0
TCS:1

What is the Damper Bounce and ReBound side?

It uses the "original" suspension.

You have to buy it from one of the tuner village shops. The shock adjustment is just "shock absorbers" or whatever, instead of individual bound and rebound adjustments.

Man oh man oh man.....so many new entries, so the list of cars to use dwindles ever more. :mischievous:

3 cars to come out of my garage by the end of the day Aussie time (just to verify boys and girls, it's 8.30am Saturday EDST here in Sydney). 1 for each category.

And to Vince, seeing you laugh at the Piazza has tempted me just to re-do my old 4ZC1-R tune just for some fun, not an official entry. :) They aren't complete slugs after working them (turbo) and can handle just fine when done right. ;)

Off I go....car 1 in progress as I speak. Stock time of over 2.30. ;) Will be back to let you know what it is as an entry.

Mafs!!

AWD Rocks!

They don't suit me. I've made my living on RWD.

I have 1 FF in my garage, just cause it's a prize car that I can't sell for any money. I have 4 AWDs, Imprezza touring car, Imprezza Rally Car, Imprezza STi (NOT spec. C) and a Lancer Evo V

I prefer RWD most of the time as well... But if I make an AWD "click"... It's all over for RWD. So far, I haven't had too many awesome AWDs... But there's been a few.

tuner comp '80-88 entry
88 camaro IROC Z CONCEPT
hp-524
torque-enough to tear a yugo in half (678 ft lbs)

buy
stage 3 N/A tune
chip
port/polish
balance
race exhaust
full custom trans
three plate clutch
race flywheel carbon driveshaft
race brakes/controller
custom LSD
driving assist OFF
S3 tires

settings

transmission
use tranny trick and set final to 3.49

suspension
spring rate f=11.0 r=11.5
height f=90 r=90
bound f=8 r=8
rebound f=8 r=8
camber f=2.0 r=1.5
toe f=0 r=0
stabalizers f=5 r=5

LSD
I= 10
A=40
D=20

this car is a bit ill tempered so be careful it can be driven sideways or normally... it has A LOT of power and will pick up speed VERY QUICKLY a bit of wheelspin in first and a noticeable amount of understeer but on exit it has a hint of oversteer due to such insane power...this car isnt really for beginners but with the proper skill amd finesse itll make quick work of spykers and other high end cars up to the SLR Mclaren
DISCLAIMER:i am not responsible for frustration induced tantrums :lol: also not responsible for replacing tires and transmissions

V6, inline 6, still 6 :D Good luck to ya too ;)

No your absolutely correct, I forgot to list the RC intercooler. :guilty: Mine is also super high mileage (57k+) :sly:

Just edit in the RC Intercooler, and maybe write beside the power level that yours was high mileage and people who manage to get a low mileage one will get higher power. I did drive yours too, it feels pretty good, except the brake balance doesn't suit me- not enough turn in.

Man, some of these FR monsters are giving me the chills.

I think I'll participate in this cup and just enter a modest Galant... :crazy: (I must be crazeeeEEEE~)
no crazy is battaling an abrams tank with a pistol
insanity is driving my camaro (its a handful)
PERFECT INSANITY-Drifting said camaro :crazy:

Vintage Tuner Cup Entry: 1981-1988 Family

Sumitomo Sports Civic 1500
Street-tuned AK83 1.5L Civic
Added 2008/02/01

slkdfjlsfs.jpg

Specifications
Base car: '83 Honda Civic 1500 3-door 25i
Colour: Baltic Blue
Odometer at Purchase: ~84,200km

Power: 124ps/6000rpm
Torque: 16kgf·m/4000rpm
Weight: 815kg

Weight-to-Power Ratio: 6.57kg/ps
Weight-to-Torque Ratio: 50.94kg/kgf·m

Upgrades
  • Exhaust & Air Filter: Semi-sports
  • Brakes
    • Brake Pads: -
    • Brake Bias Controller: -
  • Engine
    • NA Tuning: Stage 1
    • Port Polish: -
    • Engine Balancing: -
    • Displacement Up: -
    • Racing Chip: Sports
  • Drivetrain
    • Transmission: -
    • Clutch: Twin-plate
    • Flywheel: Semi-racing
    • LSD: 1.5-way
    • Carbon Propeller Shaft: -
  • Suspension: Racing
  • Tires
    • Normal: N3 Road
    • Sports: -
    • Racing: -
  • Other:
    • VCD Controller: -
    • Weight Reduction: -
    • Rollcage: -
    • Rigidity Refreshment: -
  • GT Auto
    • Wheels: Falken 002
    • Rear Wing: -

Upgrades

• Suspension
    • Spring Rates (kg/mm)
      • Front: 7.0
      • Rear: 12.5
    • Ride Height (mm)
      • Front: 115
      • Rear: 115
    • Shock Absorbers (Bound)
      • Front: 6
      • Rear: 4
    • Shock Absorbers (Rebound)
      • Front: 8
      • Rear: 5
    • Camber (Negative Degrees)
      • Front: 0.3
      • Rear: 1.7
    • Toe (Degrees)
      • Front: -
      • Rear: -
    • Swaybar
      • Front: 3
      • Rear: 5
  • Downforce
    • Front: -
    • Rear: -

Reference Typical Lap Times
Suzuka Circuit West Course:
1'45.5

Personal Remarks
My entry for the Vintage Cup, 1981-1988 family. As out-of-place as this little car may seem against some of the 50kg+ torque monsters here, it remains fun to drive. As expected, this is a street tune with balance in mind. Because of its light weight and very short wheelbase, small changes to the car's suspension setup will reverberate strongly and almost immediately through the entire tune. Corner entry should feel neutral and easy to turn in; mid-corner will also stay perfectly neutral and the car will actually accept opening the throttle mid-corner and no go wide, despite its FF layout.

I've worked to bring out a unique attribute in the car: neutral balance through mid-speed corners and not punishing the driver for overspeeding into a turn. In spite of some relatively high spring rates and stiff front shocks for a car this light, it isn't unpredictable when it kisses the kerb at speed. There is also no wheelspin, and, notwithstanding the very short wheelbase, the rear stays planted under hard braking into a slow corner, even with wide open throttle.

Above all, my goal was to make the car is fun to drive for drivers of all levels of experience.

This is my first project under the fictitious "Sumitomo Sports" brand whose specialty is NA response and balance.

Good to see you entering mate, but you better place above the title of your vehicle that it's a vintage tuning cup entry, otherwise it may be overlooked come the deadline. And good luck to your tuning company. 👍

Just edit in the RC Intercooler, and maybe write beside the power level that yours was high mileage and people who manage to get a low mileage one will get higher power. I did drive yours too, it feels pretty good, except the brake balance doesn't suit me- not enough turn in.

I edited in the RC Intercooler shortly after you mentioned it :P Good idea about mentioning mileage though, I'll edit it in after this post.

I biased the brakes towards the front to give it more a controlled entry, rather than making it more track-tuned, keeping with the comfort characteristics of the standard car.

I know from painful and frustrating experience how the Esprits are. My guess is that when it was under development, the test driver managed to scream "Evil Spirit!" before dying in ball of fire, but the message was so blurred that the staff only heard e(crackle)sp(crackle)rit! :scared:

HAHA! Yep, that's pretty much right. Luckily though, Q Branch installed an ejector seat for us, so our Stig survived :sly:

Actually, lowering it to 360ish HP and going with an extremely high decel diff value, it wasn't all that bad. Just not quite as responsive as I'd like, and to quell the destabilizing weight transfer, I had to make the rear dampers so stiff that curbing is VERY unpleasant. I may fool with it some more - it still has potential.

I'd dare to say that it COULD possibly challenge Greycaps new Amuse NSX GT1.. that did 1'42. The Esprits are real flyers.. if you can tame them that is!

I'd dare to say that it COULD possibly challenge Greycaps new Amuse NSX GT1.. that did 1'42. The Esprits are real flyers.. if you can tame them that is!

Mmm, no matter what tuning you do, at high speeds the Esprit spins out, so a low powered/technical track/sport tyre version is your only real option.

Note: You can choose from one of those 3 options I mentioned, don't have to be combined.

Mmm... I recall having no problems with a 900hp Esprit around Sarthe except for the end of Mulsanne... Braking from 250 in something that I hadn't set the brake bias correctly for... (Didn't know how at the time) Was not fun to say the least.

I'm willing to bet that the older Esprit would be much of the same; it doesn't necessarily have to spin out at high speeds; maybe reducing the front downforce would help there as it would keep the schnoze from cutting in as quickly, meaning the rear will be more willing to follow the nose around rather than go straight.

Maybe I'll take a crack at one... If it winds up nicer than my Celica... (Either of them) It will be my entry.

Well, it's 24hrs later and I managed to complete..........

1 car :embarrassed::ill:

But it's a good one, I swear to God, and Allah, and Ganesh, and Buddha, whoever you follow. :dopey:

Vintage Tuner Cup Entry 1981-1988 Category
Car: 1986 Toyota Celica GT-Four ST165 - TOM'S Spec - 60809km (10.0km version to come!)

Parts Needed - All from TOM'S in Tuner Garage
Racing Exhaust
Performance Chip
Port & Polish
Engine Balancing
Racing Intercooler
Stage 5 Turbocharger
Fully Customisable Gearbox
Triple Plate Clutch
Racing Flywheel
Fully Customisable LSD
Carbon Driveshaft
Racing Brakes
Brake Balance Controller
Fully Customisable Suspension
Variable Centre Differential
S3 Tyres
Stage 3 weight reduction
Body Restoration
Oil Change
Dunlop 007 Wheels
3D AB Wing

Settings
Suspension
Spring Rate: Front: 7.0, Rear: 7.0
Height: Front: 110, Rear: 110
Damper Bound: Front: 3, Rear: 4
Damper Rebound: Front: 6, Rear: 8
Camber: Front: 2.4, Rear: 1.4
Toe Angle: Front: +3, Rear: -4
Stabilisers: Front: 5, Rear: 5

Brake Balance Controller: Front: 6, Rear: 11
Downforce: Front: 30, Rear: 30

Gearbox
1st: 2.325 (81km/h)
2nd: 1.650 (116km/h)
3rd: 1.250 (155km/h)
4th: 1.000 (195km/h)
5th: 0.825 (236km/h)
6th: 0.690 (282km/h)
Final Drive: 4.285

LSD: Front: 10/15/10, Rear: 5/10/5
VCD: 20
ASM: Front: 0, Rear: 0
TCS: 0

Performance Statistics
Power: 265Kw
Torque: 422.48Nm
0-100km/h: 4.28sec
0-160km/h: 9.40sec
100-160km/h: 5.26sec
80-120km/h: 2.68sec
1/4 Mile: 12.422 @ 186km/h
Top Speed: 281.58km/h

Laptimes
Grand Valley Speedway: 2.03.319
Tsukuba Circuit: 59.678

Argh. You just stole my car out from under me.

Our tunes are FAR too much alike. Main differences are in the shocks, camber, toe, and diffs (and all but the toe is remarkably close).

Think my rear suspension might be stiffer... I dunno.

Mmm... I recall having no problems with a 900hp Esprit around Sarthe except for the end of Mulsanne... Braking from 250 in something that I hadn't set the brake bias correctly for... (Didn't know how at the time) Was not fun to say the least.

I'm willing to bet that the older Esprit would be much of the same; it doesn't necessarily have to spin out at high speeds; maybe reducing the front downforce would help there as it would keep the schnoze from cutting in as quickly, meaning the rear will be more willing to follow the nose around rather than go straight.

Maybe I'll take a crack at one... If it winds up nicer than my Celica... (Either of them) It will be my entry.

Tried the downforce option, along with very low rear brake force, varied extreme decel and initial diff settings galore, ride height variations, ballast, etc - while some of this helped a lot, it usually introduced more problems than it solved elsewhere in the tune. Right now it's at the point that it handles rather well in most cases, but if you brake even a tad bit too late somewhere like T1 @ GVS where you aren't braking over a flat surface, it'll go sideways. And everything done to make it less prone to slide has left it so that when it DOES slide, it happens much more unpredictably and severely.

Yeah, even tried that - NOT a good result LOL ...

I have it at the point now where it brakes well enough, but it's still a little rough in high speed bends over changing elevation. It's really not bad at all, but it's just not quite VTC-worthy ... yet. Although I'm pretty sure I want to back off and just judge the 80's division.

mafia boy
Reading through your 1980's Celica GT-Four it seems you forgot to list the suspension in the parts to buy list. Obvious by your settings that you have it so perhaps should edit that in.

Well before you have a stroke, just be happy that I (well B-Spec did, he begged me for him to race... he's so attached to that Galant GTO :D ) managed to get the 1000 miles! championship done, so I have the Alfa and a few other rare cars on the list. I'll probably get started on judging soon. Expect me to be a while though. ;)

I'll give you results by Friday about the dinosaur cars (pre '63). Been too busy with work, and when not working trying to get that Club Racer ready. :ill:

Back