Tuner Garages

• Thread starter Kent
  • 2,497 comments
Alright alright, I'm done. I got the pre '63 cars judged and written up.

Now its safe to say you 5 owe me about 300,000 credits EACH :ill:

Why didn't you just hit reset after each car?? Wouldn't have cost you a dime that way. :P In costs: 5 PS2 Resets < $1.5million CR. :lol:

Mafs!!

Why didn't you just hit reset after each car?? Wouldn't have cost you a dime that way. :P In costs: 5 PS2 Resets < $1.5million CR. :lol:

Mafs!!

It autosaves every time you buy something then quit to menu :crazy:

I still got 33mil in the bank, no worries :sly:

Not being argumentative btw, just had to defend my baby :sly: And on the flipside, if you like more playful cars, you should enjoy my 2000GTO!

Thanks for all your effort! 👍

I understand, I'll end up doing the same for my Supra :)

Hehe, I do like playful cars, I'll try out that GTO when I get time. Right now I'm hopping between building a car for the 1973-1980 division and tearing around Capri in my new NSX-R... I tell you, that car is nuts! :ill:

Not a bad result for the C1 at all, hey at least mine was cheap to build as you win it from a kinda short race. :sly: I'm going to have to hunt down first place now. :D

Something I'd like to say about the weight balance w/o ballast:

It shifts the location of the weight around, therefore a negative value makes for LESS weight out back and MORE up front and vice versa.

That still doesn't make much realistic sense. What does it assume you're doing, scraping the rear quarter panels with a katana, melting all the shavings down and welding them to the front clip? C'mon now ...

About the most you could do in a realistic sense is relocate a few minor (and light) components like the battery and alternator, and even in that case there's very little chance you'd shift anything of any consequential weight.

That still doesn't make much realistic sense. What does it assume you're doing, scraping the rear quarter panels with a kitana, melting all the shavings down and welding them to the front clip? C'mon now ...

About the most you could do in a realistic sense is relocate a few minor (and light) components like the battery and alternator, and even in that case there's very little chance you'd shift anything of any consequential weight.

Mmmmm Katana :drool: Sorry, I love them swords- especially the one known as Masamune, any Sephiroth fans here? I go by what someone said a long time ago, if you don't add weight to the ballast then you're not moving anything- but it's possible that without added weight the battery is moved, and maybe the fuel tank?

Yeah the fuel tank is a possibility, although having the fuel tank sitting by the engine sounds about as safe as standing beneath Rosie O'Donnell as she tries to walk a tightrope :sly:

Something I'd like to say about the weight balance w/o ballast:

It shifts the location of the weight around, therefore a negative value makes for LESS weight out back and MORE up front and vice versa.
My understanding is that it adds a weighted mass to a specified region of the car. Adding a ballast in GT4 will be reflected in your curb weight when you view your car. It doesn't actually transfer the car's mass to the fore or aft.

What we're talking about is the fact that you can shift the ballast location without adding any ballast weight, and it'll still have an effect. To explain - in a frontheavy car you could shift the ballast weight location to the back, leave the ballast weight at zero, and you'd still come out with more balanced handling. It's just not plausible.

Sure sounds that way. I'm definately gonna have to try that on my RUF. If it adds some understeer though, I'm not leaving it there.

Yeah, it's more or less an exploit. It has a very SLIGHT basis in reality, but not nearly enough to account for how dramatic the effect can be.

Which doesn't mean I'm above using it :sly: I did on my VTC '73-80 Alpine.

It's kind of like race car engineers moving stuff around already in the car to shift weight.

So in an FR, full rear (50) would be like relocating the battery, engine setback slightly, driving position moved back noticeably, etc.

Or just drive a car with a FMR layout...

Because I don't know many people who can afford, or are mechanically inclined, to custom-fabricate engine and transmission mounts, and a custom propshaft. It's just not going to happen for 999,999,999 of 1,000,000,000 road cars out there.

As for tuned race cars: they use a lighter engine :rolleyes:

Likewise, why is PD going to give us Twilight Zone black-hole-esque weight adjustments that are only even remotely possible with expenditures of money and effort far beyond the tuning scope of this game, when they don't give us something so simple and integral to tuning as pyrometer readings for correct camber adjustment or offer tire pressure adjustment? It seems more like a programming oversight than a conscious decision.

Back to the VTC, who else is judging the pre '63 category aside from Vander, whose results I look forward to tomorrow.

Or just drive a car with a FMR layout...

Because I don't know many people who can afford, or are mechanically inclined, to custom-fabricate engine and transmission mounts, and a custom propshaft. It's just not going to happen for 999,999,999 of 1,000,000,000 road cars out there.

As for tuned race cars: they use a lighter engine :rolleyes:

Hmm... I'm the type to do whatever I can to make the car corner better... And engine setbacks aren't the monstrous task you make them out to be most of the time.

And as to the "race car=lighter engine" argument... Not quite, my friend. Sure, to a point, a lighter engine can be built versus its production counterpart... But that's only a hundred pounds difference, maybe 200 if the production engine ran a cast iron block AND heads. Sure, you can take that weight that you pulled out of the nose and toss your ballast in the trunk to meet minimum weight, but (if allowed by the rules) something like an engine setback of even just 2-3" makes a bigger difference.

And since GT4 has no exact modification rules, and neither does this Tuner Challenge (other than tires and the like), I'm forced to think that this is the equivalent of relocating bits and pieces of the car. Maybe a hundred pounds to one end or the other AT MOST.

It autosaves every time you buy something then quit to menu :crazy:
Umm, reset as soon as you finish testing....still in Free Run Mode. ;) I do it for all my 1/4 mile testing, otherwise I would've spent over 10mil CR. on FF's alone!!

I still got 33mil in the bank, no worries :sly:
Look at Mr.Scrooge here. :P

Now, I remember it was me and someone else doing the judging (thought it was RJ, but turns out to be Mustang90210). :) I've already completed 2 of the reviews for it last night (2hrs+ on each car!!), the other 3 to be done today and tomorrow. I'm picking on each and every bone on your carcasses, I mean cars so expect some harsh but constructive criticism. There's bound to be a few pissed off people at me after I've done this but meh. :indiff:

Anyway, car 3 is up next, 6 cylinders of fun to play with, not saying which one though. :P

Mafs!!

Umm, reset as soon as you finish testing....still in Free Run Mode. ;) I do it for all my 1/4 mile testing, otherwise I would've spent over 10mil CR. on FF's alone!!

You can turn off the Autosave feature too, in the Options menu. I forget which submenu it is, but it shouldn't be hard to find. 👍

Only 1 person has judged so far nissan tuner, they aren't the final results.

And VTiRoj.......did you fit the gearbox and all the mods during the before settings....because to get a feel of it, you should try it with the stock 2 SPEED and 150hp. From reading your post (even after 4 attempts of understanding it), I don't know how the hell you got oversteer in 3rd and bouncing off the limiter in 5th before the settings were fitted if the car was stock.

Mafs!!

Only 1 person has judged so far nissan tuner, they aren't the final results.

And VTiRoj.......did you fit the gearbox and all the mods during the before settings....because to get a feel of it, you should try it with the stock 2 SPEED and 150hp. From reading your post (even after 4 attempts of understanding it), I don't know how the hell you got oversteer in 3rd and bouncing off the limiter in 5th before the settings were fitted if the car was stock.

Mafs!!

The before thing was with all parts installed, but no settings applied. So the stock ratios the FC gearbox comes with, and that much power, it just kept bouncing off the limiter. At like 100mph. :crazy:

I didnt realize I could turn off autosave... silly me... I'll keep it on though, too used to it to turn it off after 4 years :scared:

What you mean I'm a scrooge? That 33mil is barely enough to live on! :grumpy:

What you mean I'm a scrooge? That 33mil is barely enough to live on! :grumpy:

Man, you'd strangle yourself if you saw my 2nd MC.....75% complete and only 500,000cr's to play with, I like buying my 2nd hand cars. :lol: 33mil is a nice bit of change, 500k looks like a welfare cheque compared to that. :cool:

This is why I keep a second memory card with an AR MAX'd money cheat in place - makes tuning and testing cars a WHOLE lot easier! On my primary "serious" game though, I'm with you Maf, I RARELY have a million credits, and when I do, I don't for long. All these fantastic cars, how can you actually KEEP credits? :sly:

I should never be rich.

This is why I keep a second memory card with an AR MAX'd money cheat in place - makes tuning and testing cars a WHOLE lot easier! On my primary "serious" game though, I'm with you Maf, I RARELY have a million credits, and when I do, I don't for long. All these fantastic cars, how can you actually KEEP credits? :sly:

I should never be rich.

If only GT5 was programmed in Australia or the USA, we could then program in a welfare office for when we're broke and can't afford the 3 Cr. for the Photo Drive. :lol:

You guys do actually know about getting easy money from Capri right? I cant believe you only have 500,000cr maf :P

I got well over 600 cars, and I buy a lot of used 6.2 mile cars for use later. :P

Welfare office would be awesome.. or loans! If you dont pay the loan back within 100 days, they take your car! :D

Easy money from Capri is all well and good, but there's only so many times I can run it before the fact that my money is swelling hits home and I'm compelled to go spend it :lol:

Test Track: Grand Valley Speedway.

All cars were first given an oil change and s3 tires, as well as having the aids turned off, for the stock run. Next I purchased all of the parts and did more test runs, after which I applied the specific settings and completed the final tests. I then ran each car in a family cup difficulty of 10 to see how they would fare.

Alfa Romeo Giulia Sprint Speciale '63
Tuner: Greycap

Stock GVS Time: 2'32.539
Initial Stock Feel: The car feels very balanced, handling is fairly neutral all around. It's not the fastest horse in the barn, but that's to be expected in a stock car this old.

PA GVS Time: 2'16.766
Parts Applied Feel: No surprises in the parts department, all of the best was purchased and applied. This gave the car more speed, a more aggressive cornering feel, and displayed GT4's ineptitude in the BBC default settings. Oversteer under throttle and understeer under braking, though neither was too-pronounced.

TA GVS Time: 2'12.461
Tuned Feel: A nice controlled car with just a hint of power-oversteer if you want to slide the back around. Brakes were still a little soft for my liking but they meshed with the car well. It handled well around all the corners of GVS and never once did it step out of line and try to kill me with snap-oversteer or suicidal braking tendencies. Overall a great tune on a splendid classic.

Family Cup-GVS-Difficulty 10
A-spec points: 189
Competition: TVR T350C '03/Aston Martin Vanquish '04/Mitsubishi HSR-II Concept '89/Aston Martin DB9 Coupe '03/Aston Martin V8 Vantage '99
Race: An enjoyable test of the car, I caught up with the pack around the first corner and proceeded to piss off several Aston Drivers on my way to pass the TVR in the last S turn. He passed me again on the straight but couldn't hang with me through the corners and crossed the finish 1.8 seconds behind.

Grade: 95

KC Motorsport Lotus Elan S1 E.P. Special
Tuner: CraftyLandShark

Stock GVS Time: 2'19.974
Stock Feel: This car is very poised, steering response is good under throttle and under braking, it's not terribly slow, and even the brakes already seem good.

PA GVS Time: 2'06.514
Parts Applied Feel: All of the best parts were utilized in the tune, and it shows in the time improvement. The car lost a little of its poise, and incorporated a slight snarl. A little bit of power-oversteer is there if you want and the car can slide and maintain control fairly well. Around the bends it still shines, though the default transmission gearing is way to little and I felt as if I was bouncing off the rev-limiter even in some of the cornering sections.

TA GVS Time: 2'00.595
Tuned Feel: The snarl that was added when the parts were applied was muted somwhat, and perfect control came out of it. The transmission gearing was nice but I would have liked to see some individual tuning of the gears as well. The suspension setup seemed a little weird, as the damper settings were soooo soft, but it worked perfectly. Wherever you turn the wheel is exactly where you go in this little convertible, be it under thottle, under braking, or under neither. A very nice tune overall.

A-spec points 189
Competition: Nissan R390 GT1 Road car '98/Dodge Viper GTSR Concept '00/Mercedes SL 65 AMG (R230) '04/Ford GT '02/Cizeta V16T '94
Passed the leader at the second hairpin and never looked back, I love watching replays like this, where a little under powered car thrashes supercars, won with a 6 second lead.

Grade:97

Chervrolet Convertible (C1) 1954
Tuner: nd 4 holden spd

Stock GVS Time: 2'29.679
Stock Feel: Very nicely behaved in stock trim, the two-speed tranny is a little hard to get used to as it has so much torque redlining in 1st and so little when you shift to second.

PA GVS Time: 2'02.380* 2'21.859
Parts Applied Feel: The parts applied certainly opened this beast up. Super tail happy under the default tune. The default transmission setting topped out almost immediately so I bumped the auto setting to 20 from 3, that is where the time difference comes from(and it is a HUGE time difference for just setting an auto setting from default). This car has some serious snap oversteer and spin out problems that pop up every now and then.

TA GVS Time: 1'57.493
Tuned Feel: a very nice car overall, the tail comes around nicely through the corners and yet still manages to catch grip when you need it to. The snap oversteer problem was refined and now it only rears its ugly head if a tire leaves the tarmac, and it is certainly not as pronounced as it was before.
This car came along way under tuning though on some tracks you may want to raise the ride height as curbing can give it some problems.

A-spec 189
Competition: Ford Gt '05/Saleen S7 '02/Aude Le Mans quattro '03/Honda NSX-R Prototype LM Road Car '02/Mercedes SLR McLaren '03
never mind there wasn't any competition. 9 second lead across the line

Grade:90

M-B 300SL-R '54
Tuner: Leonidae

Stock GVS Time: 2'23.142
Stock Feel: She's not to slow around the track, wheelspin even in second gear stock is a little weird to deal with, and lots of body-roll to contend with. I'm interested to see what happens here.

PA GVS Time: 2'11.981
Parts Applied Feel: A nice improvement in time, though it came with gobs of wheelspin and the need for very precise throttle control to prevent spin outs. Thank god this car doesn't have snap oversteer issues or I don't know if I ever would have made it around GVS.

TA GVS Time: 2'11.245
Tuned Feel: hmmm. . .still loads of wheelspin, the car requires a lot of finesse in throttle use. I did improve my time, but it took quite a while to get 2 clean laps in a row from this beast. Understeer while braking is very apparent and this merc loves to get dizzy.

Competition: same as with the vette except zonda c12s 7.3 replaces the ford gt, and the VW Nardo replaces the mclaren
A-Spec: 175
eek. Finished in 3rd 8 seconds behind the Audi and the NSX-R, not bad for a 54 year old merc I suppose, but not great either. I was a little disapointed with this car, though I suppose I just need a lot more time with it and a G25 to really apppreciate it.

Grade: 85

Jaguar E-Type Coupe '61
Tuner: nissan tuner

Stock GVS Time: 2'21.708
Stock Feel: Nice 4spd tranny, almost as fast as the elan in stock trim. I did notice some wheelspin issues though as well as lots of body roll, overall I enjoyed driving it.

PA GVS Time: 2'13.666 (I didn't know the devil drove an E-type)
Parts applied feel: Well it was faster, and more tail happy. Body roll was a little subdued, but I can't help but notice the lack of an FC transmission here, though the E-types 4spd is nice. Transmission tuning can go along way toward helping cars, however no one ever said it was required and this is a nice little car to drive.

TA GVS Time: 2'11.272
Tuned Feel: It's a wee bit faster than it was, other than that most of its driving characteristics feel the same, except for the body roll which is now more pronounced and I suppose is acting as the BBC of the car. My main problem with this tune is that the only things that were tuned on it were the LSD which was not very different from the default, the ride height/spring rate and camber. Nothing else was touched. I find it hard to believe that none of those 'other' settings could have made the car better. . .

Competition: Zonda C12/Ac 427/Viper SRT10/Spyker C8/Viper GTSR Concept
A-spec 178
finished fourth 6 and a half seconds behind the zonda with the srt10 and the AC passing me on the last straight-away of the race.

Grade: 80

Overall I enjoyed all the cars, the top three were just heads and tails above the merc and the jag as far as performance and handling went. Time to get onto the post '63 class. . .

I'm sorry for the format or lack thereof in this post, I'm not at home, and had to write this on a mac. Basically this thing confuses me and I don't want to accidentally delete all of this writing.

Thanks for the Tunes!

Back