Tuner Garages

• Thread starter Kent
  • 2,497 comments
GJ Holden !!! 3 podium finishes including 1 victory... You're a Master mate ! :cheers:

On my side, I'm glad I scored a 70 on my very first "real" tune.

*krhm* One guy gets four podiums out of five tries and wins one of them. He's in the seventh heaven and is celebrated as the master. Then there is one guy who gets four podiums out of five tries and wins three of them. Nobody but the competition host notices, he keeps a low profile.

I guess that latter guy is just so good that winning isn't news to be mentioned. :P

*krhm* One guy gets four podiums out of five tries and wins one of them. He's in the seventh heaven and is celebrated as the master. Then there is one guy who gets four podiums out of five tries and wins three of them. Nobody but the competition host notices, he keeps a low profile.

I guess that latter guy is just so good that winning isn't news to be mentioned. :P

Let Holdenboy celebrate the fact he's finally got a car better than the MFT boys....it's one of those rare moments we may never see again on GTP. :lol:

I say congrats Grey on your efforts, you're the one who stopped me getting the hippie ('64-72) category and it was well deserved that you won it....I just needed another 50-75hp in the Celica to keep up in laptimes and I would've had a chance against ya. :sly:

Let Holdenboy celebrate the fact he's finally got a car better than the MFT boys....it's one of those rare moments we may never see again on GTP. :lol:
Thanks, and to Snyp and CraftyLandShark too! We may actually well see it again as I'm not entering TCv3 for the reason you actually just mentioned. It's too much about the cars. I had no hopes of beating for example, the rear wheel drivers with the Quattro, no matter how well the Audi was set up. It was really good for a Quattro but the better base cars did the trick as the old German brick can't be made to be an entertaining drive. The same thing worked for me in every category I won, I had very good base cars. Got to fight the enemies with their own weapons.

It seems the main reason I lost the late seventies was that the Triumph had a lot more potential in its engine, and as the cars were compared to bone stock (even though the instructions were to compare to parts fitted, default setups) I had to lose because the Lancer actually was capable of something as stock. It's a big downside in these competitions, if someone manages to be the first to use some high potential base car the good position is almost secured.

Well, it became a rant after all but if someone was wondering where my TCv3 entries are hiding they now know.

Thanks, and to Snyp and CraftyLandShark too! We may actually well see it again as I'm not entering TCv3 for the reason you actually just mentioned. It's too much about the cars. I had no hopes of beating for example, the rear wheel drivers with the Quattro, no matter how well the Audi was set up. It was really good for a Quattro but the better base cars did the trick as the old German brick can't be made to be an entertaining drive. The same thing worked for me in every category I won, I had very good base cars. Got to fight the enemies with their own weapons.
:lol: I was 2nd to you again with the AWD'ers there (you 4th, me 5th). Normally I can't tune AWD for crap, atleast I was better than RJ. :P

It seems the main reason I lost the late seventies was that the Triumph had a lot more potential in its engine, and as the cars were compared to bone stock (even though the instructions were to compare to parts fitted, default setups) I had to lose because the Lancer actually was capable of something as stock. It's a big downside in these competitions, if someone manages to be the first to use some high potential base car the good position is almost secured.
Actually I did it for both categories I judged and also I judged each car to each other. And you didn't say anything about my results when you were 1st in the pre-historic category!
Besides, look at Leo's car, it was 5th and the exact same bloody car (Spitfire!) with same power and everything, just different settings, and a completely different car than what I drove with Holdenboy's!! It's just that this particular occasion, Holdenboy hit the absolute sweet spot of that car!!

I'm not saying anything more on that subject. And besides, since Kent's doing TCv3, you shouldn't have to worry about the judging differences will you?? :sly:

But it's NOT JUST KENT.

I entered that bloody Celica KNOWING it wouldn't make it to the top... Then I drove it... I forget exactly where, noticed some annoying understeer (setups were locked in at that point), and KNEW it wasn't going to do well.

The Renaults are all that held a chance. One was hampered by a Vette having improved more (despite STILL being worse handling), and the other was hampered by its less-aggressive parts selection and being compared to stock (A fully tuned R5T is a bit of a tailhappy beast). Oh, and not being built to spec.

Well, I just want to point out a few things...
First of course is that I have control over who will be judging TCv3.
Second is the fact that in TCv2 I rated GreyCap's evo as the top car in AWD.
Third and finally, I want to stress that people have been ignoring what I've said several times... We need to see people enter the same cars!
Greycap said in an above post that the first to get the good base car is the winner... Why should that be the case?
Have you guys watched the touge challenges?
Multiple S2000s, multiple evos and wrxs... Why should only one person be allowed to use a given car?

Wouldn't it be the best test of tuning skill to see more than one tune on the same car?

Bottom line:
Use the car you think is best and don't skip out simply because someone else already posted their version of the same car.
Skipping out for a reason isn't a very good reason in my opinion.
It makes me think anyone who's scared to enter the same car with a different tune isn't confident in their own skills as a tuner. :indiff:

So with all that in mind, go for it greycap!
Just the same for everyone else as well... Go for it everyone! Don't let the competition keep you out simply because they think they can tune your car better than you can. In fact, the best thing you can do is show them who is the better tuner by beating them at their own game (or rather, with their own car!).

GJ Holden !!! 3 podium finishes including 1 victory... You're a Master mate ! :cheers:

On my side, I'm glad I scored a 70 on my very first "real" tune.

Thanks, of course as has been mentioned already Grey did better (good work BTW :cheers: ) I'm still really happy with 4 podiums including a victory.

Well, it became a rant after all but if someone was wondering where my TCv3 entries are hiding they now know.

First of all, I got second in a GNX, not exactly the best base car ;)
Second, the Triumph was fast around corners, not in a straight line because I made it fast :P

But it's NOT JUST KENT.

I entered that bloody Celica KNOWING it wouldn't make it to the top... Then I drove it... I forget exactly where, noticed some annoying understeer (setups were locked in at that point), and KNEW it wasn't going to do well.

The Renaults are all that held a chance. One was hampered by a Vette having improved more (despite STILL being worse handling), and the other was hampered by its less-aggressive parts selection and being compared to stock (A fully tuned R5T is a bit of a tailhappy beast). Oh, and not being built to spec.

Yeah, I forgot how people in GT2 always beat the LMP01 cars :rolleyes: The Corvette was quite an awesome car and did have the handling to match.

Last of all, is Kent trying to say I should enter the same FF car as someone else in TCV3?

But aha:

You may gain on Greycap... knowing the Stratos' nature, I may be the only one to rate it #1. Then again, two of the cars that I rated lower than the Vette (RJ's 5 Turbo and Tulok's Skyline) actually handled better overall than the Vette - I rated the Vette higher based on more substantial improvements over stock and default - so they may be rated higher than the Vette by judges with slightly different interpretations of the criteria.

In other words, right now, it's anyone's game!

We hit the twisties with lots of low-speed corner exits and the 'Vette's dead, bud.

Cornering speed: Renault.
Straightaway speed: 'Vette
Acceleration out of tight corners: Renault
(Remember, Porsche, in LMP2, beat the LMP1 Audis quite a few times)

Let's Touge the both of them. Or would that be unfair to the poor 'Vette?

Okay, Trial Mountain. Wait... Too many corners where the Vette's slower to make up for its 10-20mph advantage down the back straight.

GVS winds up with too much high-speed running for the Renault...

Someone got a track idea that would pit them against each other well? Or does Holdenboy have the balls to take the 'Vette to the Touge? :mischievous:

Indeed, I am saying to use the same FF as someone else but only if you believe it is the best FF to tune for the challenge. 👍

Also, what's this about the Vette being bad?
What vette is in question?
Personally, I'll take the C5 Z06 over pretty much any of the renaults in stock form.
Once you start tuning it is a matter of the tuner and the specific tune. However, the C5 is not bad in corners. In fact, I'd go so far as to say it is good in corners. Sure it's no chumps car and if your driving is dictated by style instead of the car you might have a hard time. However, on N2 tires I've taken the vette well below 8 minutes at the Ring (and not simply because it runs 404hp after an oil change)... Further, 404hp and 1409kg isn't exactly amazing so I wouldn't say a good Ring time is due to the straights alone.

Basically, if you want something to test the vette, I'm happy to act as a test driver. :mischievous:
Of course, keep in mind I'm talking about a stock vette (because I don't really care to take the time to properly tune any car right now besides what I'm already tuning).

Sorry to doublepost, but...

Thanks to a certain member's prowess at creating pointless threads, Tuner Garages got dropped down onto the second page, where newer members most likely will not look.

How about I drive our cars RJ, the second I get a chance. I'll be fair, I think I've earnt the status of being fair on this site by now. What do you say?

Sure.

I'll give 'em a shot too.

Emphasize exit speed over entry speed in the Renault, it can handle WOT rather early, and use the lift-off oversteer to cut in a bit quicker.

Best way to prove you're both not sandbagging is this boys.

Run each car, get your individual times. Add them together and average it out. The better average time wins. ;)

Fair??

Go head2head then. ;)

Nothing like a friendly sector battle to settle a disagreement.

Car: Minichris legacy B4 rally car Lap on Swiss Alps: 1’34.799

Parts

Racing Exhaust
Racing Brakes
Brake Balance Controller
Turbine Kit Stage 3
Port Polishing
Engine Balancing
Racing Chip
FC Transmission
Triple-plate Clutch
Racing Flywheel
FC LSD
Dirt Tyres
Weight Reduction Stage 3
Oil Change
Intercooler: Racing Large
Stiffening
Propeller shaft

LSD

>Front
-Initial: 15
-Acceleration: 50
-Deceleration: 5

>Rear
-Initial: 15
-Acceleration: 50
-Deceleration: 5

Driving Aids
No driving aids

Brake Controller
-Brakes: 8/8

Transmission
-Autoset: 11

-Final Gear: 4.790

VCD

-VCD:45

Attachments

• Copy of IMG0001.JPG
    Copy of IMG0001.JPG
    26.4 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG0000.JPG
    IMG0000.JPG
    70.3 KB · Views: 16
how about both of you drive both cars, say for example the obvious underdog first, save the ghost and upload it when driving again in the more powerful car. rinse and repeat until there's no way to be mistaken from the results and upload them to youtube.

Oh Rotary Junkie.........
I finally tested both our cars at Autumn Ring. While the Vette is no where as easy to push on the limits as the Renault, it still has good enough handling to be damn good. The Corvette sets a lap record of 1'13.618 with much room to improve, and the Renault sets a lap of 1'15.711 already close to its limits. (I put in 5 laps and only 5 laps with each car). So that makes me over 2sec quicker even on a twisty track. That settles that then.

Latest Posts

Back