Tuner Garages

• Thread starter Kent
  • 2,497 comments
Blame my wife for rocking home at 11pm last night with 1/2 the staff from her workplace for an impromptu party, finishing at 3am. :crazy: I was in the middle of testing RJ's car when they arrived. :lol: Didn't get to sleep until 4am.....woke up 20 minutes ago to my son whinging about his "yellow car"......uggggggh.

Should be done in about an hour or two, it makes it hard to get on the PS2 without him whinging, "MY CAR MY CAR MY CAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR!!" while I'm racing/testing/screwing around. :ouch: Even using MAME games to distract him doesn't get him dis-interested in GT4. :ill:

That's it, I'm not joining the mafia if your wife brings people home at 11pm, that's just crazy.

Edit: Looks like Mafs had more problems, no judging yet..........

Testing and re-testing is done. Results will be up 1st thing in morning. :) I'll be up till 1am typing otherwise. :lol: I will say, this category was A LOT closer overall than the pre-historic cars due to the variations from some cars to others and the varying paces between the cars.

Carry on children. :sly:

Should be done in about an hour or two, it makes it hard to get on the PS2 without him whinging, "MY CAR MY CAR MY CAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR!!" while I'm racing/testing/screwing around. :ouch: Even using MAME games to distract him doesn't get him dis-interested in GT4. :ill:

He sounds like his father's son for sure :sly:

Here's the results for the VTC 1973-1980 category. It was tougher than I thought, but 1 car came out on top due to it's overwhelming improvements overall in ALL categories.

6th Place - VTiRoj's Autobianchi A112 Abarth - 82.0pts
Stock GVS: 3.04.871
Worked GVS: 2.27.418

Stock Thoughts: Well, this car I could've made a coffee in the time it took to make a lap, and it was a struggle all the way around, it feels like a brick, understeering even at those lowish speeds at stock, I wasn't liking it at all.

Worked Thoughts: This was a huge improvement over the stock version, behaving a lot more like a hot hatch should be but I felt that 2nd-5th gears should've been made 1st-4th gears, having uncontrollable wheelspin in 1st isn't good for lap times, neither is having a chasm between 5th & 6th gears. The rest of the car felt just a little bit under though.....understeering and underpowered. I was able to gain over 3 seconds a lap through improvements in those areas, as I could keep the power in areas where there the power gap between 5th & 6th were and able to turn in better with different toe angles (I went 2/-2). Otherwise good car.

Stats:
0-100: 9.40 seconds
0-160: 20.22 seconds
1/4 mile: 16.879@145km/h
Top Speed: 222.61km/h

Scorecard:
Speed: 81, Acceleration: 72, Handling: 78, Feel: 80, Improvement on stock: 100

5th Place - Leonidae's Triumph Spitfire 1500 - 85.4pts
Stock GVS: 2.38.783
Worked GVS: 2.08.482

Stock Thoughts: Well, this car was a decent handler, like something you would normally take out on a Sunday cruise, and since I had 2 spitfires to tune, I tested them back to back, thus spending double the time on the laps aswell, cruising around having fun with the car. Leo's was the 2nd spitfire I tested.

Worked Thoughts: I initially thought what a bucket, not able to do anything, but then realised I had the final ratio set wrong. After that fix-up, the cars acceleration performed a lot better, being the quicker of the 2 in all the acceleration tests. It also changed the handling of the car but it was still a very understeery car. I initially thought it was the lack of wing (since I'd just raced with Holdenboy's winged version), and tried it with a wing afterwards but it didn't fix it, the toe angle was out of sorts, aswell as the ride height. It was a big improvement in laptimes over stock, but in comparison to the other Spitfire it just didn't match that car's performance overall and I didn't feel comfortable at all with it's suspension settings.

Stats:
0-100: 5.82 seconds
0-160: 12.90 seconds
1/4 mile: 13.948@167km/h
Top Speed: 256.89km/h

Scorecard:
Speed: 93, Acceleration: 90, Handling: 75, Feel: 75, Improvement On Stock: 93

4th Place - Rotary Junkie's Renault 5 Turbo - 89.0pts
Stock GVS: 2.18.805
Worked GVS: 2.04.360

Stock Thoughts: This is one of the best handlers on the game for a stock car in my opinion. Crisp, sharp and very potent. The fact it was quicker stock than the worked Autobianchi shows how good it is.

Worked Thoughts: That was a great way of improving a very potent car. But 1 problem came up for me:
Your car had 261hp w/S2 turbo, my one with those same mods had 286hp, big difference and thus couldn't be unfair to the competition. I used a S1 turbo which gave me 258hp & around 310Nm for similar performance for you but still got better performance numbers than what you posted, and it was the quickest to 100km/h. :P
Apart from that, there was great turn in, had some of the best cornering speeds around....just was getting choked in the top end in a sense. The only downfall was this great feeling car didn't translate into a drastic improvement on lap time, actually it was the one that improved the least.

Stats:
0-100: 5.38 seconds
0-160: 11.26 seconds
1/4 Mile: 13.360@173km/h
Top Speed: 248.83km/h

Scorecard:
Speed: 90, Acceleration: 96, Handling: 93, Feel: 95, Improvement on stock: 81

3rd Place - CraftyLandShark's Alpine A110S - 89.4pts

Stock GVS: 2.17.101
Worked GVS: 1.59.205

Stock Thoughts: I had to change my driving style a bit to get the best performance out of it, with some turn-in oversteer in mid-speed corners, but nothing too out of whack with what I'm used to. The engine was it's biggest plus, getting the best time stock with decent semi-neutral handling.

Worked Thoughts: I heard you complain before that your gearing was out, I would disagree, it was well-ratioed, and you could've eeked out another 10-15km/h on top end without affecting 6th gear. My main problem was that you had made it a tad too twitchy for my liking, I spent 1/2 my lap counteracting the oversteer and hopping that the car was doing and that was affecting it's lap times. It was like I was dancing at 200km/h!! :crazy:
On the plus side however, it WAS the quickest on the 1/4 mile and top end, and while it was the only car in the field to go sub-2.00, for a car with this kind of performance, I was expecting a little bit more of an improvement from the car. To tell you the truth, something nearer to 1.55 would've put this right in the hunt. But it's scrapes past RJ's car for that same reason....if it only ran 2.00.xxx it would've been RJ taking the bronze.

Stats:
0-100: 5.76 seconds
0-160: 9.66 seconds
1/4 Mile: 13.208@197km/h
Top Speed: 274.44km/h (hit limiter in 6th)

Scorecard:
Speed: 100, Acceleration: 97, Handling: 85, Feel: 80, Improvement on stock: 85

2nd Place - Greycap's Mitsubishi Lancer 1600 GSR - 93.2pts

Stock GVS: 2.30.061
Worked GVS: 2.05.703

Stock Thoughts: This car reminded me so much of the Celica that I entered in the 64-72 category it was uncanny. I was able to cruise around in a similar time, and found a very well balanced car allround. Bit squishy in parts but well balanced nonetheless.

Worked Thoughts: Once again, MFT has created something that would make any manufacturer proud. The chassis was almost spotless, making me want to push harder and harder each lap I tried it. I was getting similar or better speeds to the R5T through the turns and with very similar performance to it, the stock lap time was demolished by a good margin. I couldn't really fault this car in any way, shape or form, it was balanced in all areas.....the only reason it hasn't won is because the winner had an even better result from a worse package.

Stats:
0-100: 5.80 seconds
0-160: 12.40 seconds
1/4 Mile: 13.870@170km/h
Top Speed: 247.19km/h

Scorecard:
Speed: 89, Acceleration: 92, Handling: 95, Feel: 95, Improvement on stock: 95

1st Place - Nd4HoldenSpd's Triumph Spitfire 1500 - 95.0pts

Stock GVS: 2.38.783
Worked GVS: 2.05.096

Stock Thoughts: Well, this car was a decent handler, like something you would normally take out on a Sunday cruise, and since I had 2 spitfires to tune, I tested them back to back, thus spending double the time on the laps aswell, cruising around having fun with the car. Holdenboy's car was the 1st I tested.

Worked Thoughts: Mr.Holdenboy, you've turned this Spitfire into a P51 Mustang mate. That was brilliant. There was phenomenal turn-in and grip through the whole circuit, the acceleration was still good although slower than Leo's car (due to final ratios being different) but you compensated for that with it's top end. Your trump cards though were it's handling....I could've gone even harder than the 2.05 I put up, but felt 33 seconds over stock was great enough and also the fact it just felt like it was on rails compared to Leo's was giving you bonus points more and more.
My ONLY complaints....and these are niggly, are that your brake balance could've been fixed up a tiny bit better, it wanted to tramline at certain corners, and having the 1st three gear ratios similar to Leo's.

Stats:
0-100: 6.16 seconds
0-160: 13.16 seconds
1/4 Mile: 14.236@167km/h
Top Speed: 266.53km/h

Scorecard:
Speed: 95, Acceleration: 87, Handling: 98, Feel: 98, Improvement on stock: 97.

That's the 1973-1980 division over and done with, now if you excuse me, I've got some Touge Monster's to build in the next couple of days. ;)

Mafs!!

Cant say I'm suprised on last place, someone had to come last so it might as well of been me :sly:

"Improvement on stock: 100"

Thats basically what I was after with the Autobianchi anyway, at least it scored the most there! :)

Meh, you used a 6.2 mile car and changed the oil, Mafs.

Mine was high-mileage and oil changed. So the stage 2 turbo would have been fair, and I believe the car may have been a little nicer with it on a used car.

I have to say I'm satisfied considering I thought it had flaws... 👍

And you think it was twitchy? You should have driven it in the default settings with all the tuning parts :sly:

Your laptime is about right though - the quickest I went in testing (over 1500 miles of it) was 1'57.3xx and it was rare that I broke out of the 1'58's.

The oversteer is actually partially caused by the gearing mistake I mentioned - I left second gear very long to combat wheelspin, but left it a bit TOO long so that with peak power and torque so close together, it spent too much time revving through that range. Had the 2-3 upshift ocurred at the right time the rear end breakaway would have been much more manageable. The rest of the ratios were fine. 👍

Thanks for judging! :cheers:

Yippee kayae! I finally took a first place. :D I suspect that the downforce made it accelerate slower, but I suppose longer gearing played a part too. Still, this is awesome. 👍

Oh, yeah, and Mafs: If you redrive both the Renaults (CLS' Alpine and my R5), use the lift-off oversteer to your advantage, and hit the throttle to hook it back up. Works very well in my car, and I'd assume that CLS' is no different about that, really.

My car was a pac-man, eating the competition.......waka waka waka waka waka waka waka :lol: Sorry, I'm just over the moon about actually getting a first place. :)

Even if a new judge does come, I still got 1st in Maf's eyes and I've never had that before. Unless RJ voted my GNX as 1st in his un-official judging. I thought stidriver was judging or something.

Meh, you used a 6.2 mile car and changed the oil, Mafs.

Mine was high-mileage and oil changed. So the stage 2 turbo would have been fair, and I believe the car may have been a little nicer with it on a used car.

6.2miles, pah!! Mine actually had 0.0miles/0.0km. :P:P And I was MORE than fair, my acceleration times were quicker than yours!! :D My test car had 3hp less but about 10Nm more and I wasn't prepared to go wasting days waiting for a 90000km version to pop up. :) And come on, 25hp more would've made a HUGE difference in your laptimes and acceleration figures and thus wouldn't have been fair to the other competitors. That extra 25hp would've got you all the sprint times from 0-100 to 1/4 mile.

As for the lift-off oversteer, with yours I could do that, wasn't a problem....try it with CLS's and it's a different story!! His car was dancing like it was on ice whenever I pumped the power back into it, thus I was counteracting it constantly. 300hp & 600kg causes that to happen. :)

Holdenboy, your car wasn't a Pac-Man, at the end your car AND Greycap's cars were very very similar. :sly: The plus factor to you was that your time was 33seconds under stock with room to improve, his was 25seconds and I was pushing it hard there....that's where you get your couple of extra brownie points. Could've gone either way otherwise.

Was still fun to judge though, congrats on all you guys for building great cars. 👍

why are everyone getting understeer with my setups? in my hand they get oversteer wh nI need to.. i guess it's the difference in driving technique and I'm having advantage of G25.. oh well, Geniuses are never understood until they're gone. ;)

Gone where? To America?
Do you by any chance use hand-brake turns? :sly:
I don't think your car was that understeery, in comparison to mine this time it was though and I think that's why he said it.

Gone where? To America?
Do you by any chance use hand-brake turns? :sly:

No handbrake, just weight shifting. I've been practising that a lot, and it plays a big role when driving my cars. And USA ( and Willow Springs ) are still about a year away, so let's not get ahead of things.

I don't think your car was that understeery, in comparison to mine this time it was though and I think that's why he said it.

I guess so. One of my techniques in turns is rocking the car slightly back and forth using the throttle, keeping the weight shifting from rear to front in order to give front end some grip. Simple but effective.

I think I use that technique by instinct, never really thought about why I do it. Your FD-R doesn't respon well to it though, keeps pushing outwards.

Mmhmm, I'm working on that as we speak.. though, I'm also gathering replays of my S-tune drifting around corners.. understeer.. pah, RJ needs to stop driving it like he drives his chevy vega..

Didn't you say that the Lexus GS300 understeered in your hands? That thing couldn't keep the tyres on the road any better than I can hide my love for Holdens. If he puts a Buick V6 in that Vega it will be a very cool, quite fast car. I guess we'll find out from all the different judges how your car drives ;) Was Mafs the only judge for the 73-80 division? LOL.

Leo, the understeer I've experienced with your cars usually occurs at turn-in. There almost always seems to be well-regulated availability of power oversteer once in the corner, but you tend to use somewhat higher initial torque values than most, which doesn't make your cars as easy to toss into an apex as many.

Not necessarily a bad thing - your cars, like you claim, usually grip for days, but if your driving style doesn't match up to the car just-so, they can "seem" understeery.

It wasn't that your car was so understeery I couldn't do anything with it, but the truth was in some corners, even AFTER fitting a wing to yours Leo (remember, I tested yours without the wing 1st!!), that Holdenboy's car was getting 15km/h+ on you through the turns.

His car I could keep it flat on the throttle and go for it, yours I had to back off for. For example: chicane at top of hill, I was going through at 185-190km/h in his car and accelerating, in yours I was struggling to do 170 through the same turn and having to take it easy on the throttle. I tried the flick method that I did with the MR/RR cars and while it made it a bit more happy happy sideways action, it was going even slower on lap times.

???? I know CLS did the reviews on the 81-88 category, but there were others from memory.....just no other reviews came in as yet.

Latest Posts

Back