Muscle Car Garage - Tuner Garage Challenge Series 3.0 Entries #1 & #2

• Thread starter Adamgp
  • 208 comments
I didn't tune it for endurance races. Besides, racing an enduro in this thing would be a handfull.

Any track with anything resembling straights will simply eat the tires away, quite possibly within the first 2-3 laps and see you pitting in a 5-6 lap race.

FPV GT

the car was balanced well, I have one gripe about the car....The brakes are not enough to stop the car from 170+. Other than that, keep them coming man, 1 down 2 to go.

If you ajust the brakes just let me know

Thanks for the review. I've been quite busy lately, not much time for GT4.

My DS2 controller also died so I had to get a new one. Now driving is much different. I'm in the process of revisiting all my cars and testing/tweaking them with the new controller, since they all seem to drive different now. (some more than others)

Nice I can't wait man, just let me know when this is happening. I would like to test more, for the Tsukuba hot lap. It's getting fun as I have been putting tunes to the test there, to get the fastest times for that car.

Thanks for the review. I've been quite busy lately, not much time for GT4.

My DS2 controller also died so I had to get a new one. Now driving is much different. I'm in the process of revisiting all my cars and testing/tweaking them with the new controller, since they all seem to drive different now. (some more than others)

Hi i'm a newbie and i'm not quite sure what you mean by S3 tires. I know this is probably a simple question but i don't know if they are standard or sports tires. I just started on my mercury cougar using your tune. should be finishing up tonight( gotta go to school). Thanks.

Hi i'm a newbie and i'm not quite sure what you mean by S3 tires. I know this is probably a simple question but i don't know if they are standard or sports tires. I just started on my mercury cougar using your tune. should be finishing up tonight( gotta go to school). Thanks.

They are sports, N is standard(normal), and s3 is sports soft:tup:

Thanks for giving it a try! (and bringing this back to the front page again)

Currently I'm in the process of revisiting (all) my old tunes and am about finished, but need to find time to post them. It's been a busy summer with work and other stuff, when I do get GT4 time its been taken up by TCV5.

I don't remember if I changed the settings on the '67 Cougar or not. I was pretty happy with that one. If I did I'll let you know.

Hi I just finished the Cougar and i love it. Because i didnt know what S3 tires were(up until now) I put sports hards on it. It went well but i figured since i've got 5 cougars i might as well try to tune one alone. Using your tune as a background I put racing qualifying tires on it, NA tune stage 3, adjusted the traction controls and brake controller and have come up with a quite good, fast car in which i can put down some pretty decent times on Trial Mountain Circuit. Thanks for the great tune and I'm just going to start on your Pontaic Tempest LeMans GTO. Thanks Again.

Not sure if this is a double post since it's been so long.

Just wanted to bring this back to page one. All old tunes have been revised (except the NSX-LM made by HELLKITE who has gone AWOL some time ago. I'll be creating my own NSX-LM in the future)

So, just wanted to say I'm back baby! :cool:

Expect new tunes to come, among other plans for this place. ;)

Ford Taurus SHO '98
IMG0155.jpg

1252kg
406hp
367ft/lbs

Buy These Parts
Oil Change
Racing Brakes
Brake Controller
Race Exhaust
Racing Chip
Stage 3 NA Tune
Port & Polish
Engine Balancing
FC Suspension
FC Transmission
Race Flywheel
Triple Plate Clutch
S3 Tires
Rigidity Refresh (if needed)
Rims (if wanted)

Suspension
Spring Rate: 6.5 / 3.5
Ride Height: 115 / 115
Bound: 9 / 3
Rebound: 9 / 3
Camber: 1.5 / 1.5
Toe: 0 / 0
Stabilizers: 1 / 4

Brake Controller
Brakes: 3 / 21

Transmission
Note: First, reset the trans settings to default, set the Auto setting second, and set the individual gear ratios last.

Gear Ratios
1st: 3.072
2nd: 2.237
3rd: 1.752
4th: 1.419
5th: 1.173
6th: 0.978
Final Gear: 3.270
Autoset: 11

Downforce: None

Driving Aids
ASM Oversteer: 0
ASM Understeer: 0
TCS: 0

LSD: None

Last edited:
Ford Taurus SHO '98
IMG0155.jpg

1252kg
406hp
367ft/lbs

Buy These Parts
Oil Change
Racing Brakes
Brake Controller
Race Exhaust
Racing Chip
Stage 3 NA Tune
Port & Polish
Engine Balancing
FC Suspension
FC Transmission
Race Flywheel
Triple Plate Clutch
S3 Tires
Rims (if wanted)

Suspension
Spring Rate: 6.5 / 3.5
Ride Height: 115 / 115
Bound: 9 / 3
Rebound: 9 / 3

Brake Controller
Brakes: 3 / 21

Transmission
Note: First, reset the trans settings to default, set the Auto setting second, and set the individual gear ratios last.

Gear Ratios
1st: 3.072
2nd: 2.237
3rd: 1.752
4th: 1.419
5th: 1.173
6th: 0.978
Final Gear: 3.270
Autoset: 11

Driving Aids

LSD: None

So, i guess this is a more-relaxed verson of that Mythical, Spoiler-Sprouting Nitrous-Injected SHO you're garage is known for? Either way, i'll have a review up in a few days.

So, i guess this is a more-relaxed verson of that Mythical, Spoiler-Sprouting Nitrous-Injected SHO you're garage is known for? Either way, i'll have a review up in a few days.

What SHO would this be? I don't recall ever touting a spoiler-sprouting nitrous injected SHO.

Please give it a try though, thanks.

That spoiler sprouting number would have come from Shogun's garage KoW, not this one.

That spoiler sprouting number would have come from Shogun's garage KoW, not this one.

:ouch: Shoot...Sorry about that...And i'm usually pretty good about checking the history of tuning garages and stuff to avoid errors like that!

But it doesn't have NOS! just all-motor and some fast driving! I think I may need to make one of those lol

adamgp I will give a review to this one!

Review '98 Ford Taurus SHO

In the SHO world 3rd gen sho is almost not a SHO!.... In some people's eye's there not, even though they have more power then the gen 1/2 SHO's! What they do have is weight, and they only come with auto! 1 thing you never have to worry about in a gen 3 is brakes.... ( there an upgrade for the gen 1/2)

MCG has tuned a SHO, and to be fair... I took a lot of time with it, as I've got a tuned SHO also, and didn't want to be unfair! So here it is!

There was 1 thing that worried me right off the bat.... no LSD! no sweat, I'll have an open mind about this!

Brakes: Not bad and they seem to help with turn in... the fronts were alittle soft for "my" driving style! But worked well! they seemed very well thought out to make it work as well as they did

Suspension: Overall the suspension was tuned pretty good, and had on trottle oversteer was great in some corners and bad on others! I thought the rear of the car was alittle to loose, I would have loved just alittle bit more rear bar in there! You have to car this car like it wants to be driven or it will bite you!

Transmission: The gearing was good, 2nd gear made me mad and didn't use it! Alittle bit of it was not having a LSD in there, but you can get around it if you tap the brake. The 1 thing I didn't like is you couldn't rocket out of the exit of the corner!

Overall: The would be 2 things I would change about this SHO. I would put an LSD and a refresher plan in the whole package and I think it would be able to pull out of the corners better! Other than that it was a solid car great work Adam!

8/10

I should check this place more often. Thanks for the review Shoman!

8/10 ain't bad. I didn't realize it but I forgot to put rigidity refresher in the parts list, as the SHO is supposed to have one. As for the LSD I tried installing one but it didn't work for me.

Cizeta V16T '94
IMG0158.jpg

1361kg
692hp
640ft/lbs

Buy These Parts
Oil Change
Racing Brakes
Brake Controller
Stage 1 NA Tune
FC Suspension
FC Transmission
FC LSD
S3 Tires
Rigidity Refresh (if needed)
Rims (if wanted)

Suspension
Spring Rate: 6.5 / 7.0
Ride Height: 105 / 105
Bound: 8 / 4
Rebound: 8 / 4
Camber: 0.5 / 0.5
Stabilizers: 1 / 1

Brake Controller
Brakes: 20 / 24

Transmission

Gear Ratios
1st: 2.563
2nd: 1.725
3rd: 1.292
4th: 1.006
5th: 0.791
6th:
Final Gear: 4.220
Autoset: 13

Driving Aids

LSD:
Initial: 5
Acceleration: 40
Deceleration: 5

Been working on this one for a while. Can be a bit tricky to drive and may take a while to master it. Once you do though this car is capable of some pretty quick lap times.

Last edited:
That's an ambitious tune to make. Every time I do the Cizeta I burst into tears and sell the car (along with the 250k worth of upgrades) within ten minutes. Will try to test it this afternoon.

Cool, thank you.

This car takes some getting used to. I did what I could with what I had to work with, there are some problems I just couldn't fully fix no matter what I tried. (horrible brakes for one) Early braking is still a must.

It takes some getting used to but is a very fast and capable car once one learns the car's quirks.

My disk has chosen this moment to become unreadable. Tomorrow I'll go down and buy my sixth copy of GT4 over the last three years, then I can do the review.

Wow, 6th copy in 3 years? I'm still on my original disk from 2004.

No problem, review when you can.

Pagani Zonda C12S 7.3 '02
IMG0159.jpg

1212kg
697hp
681ft/lbs

Buy These Parts
Oil Change
Racing Brakes
Brake Controller
Racing Chip
Port & Polish
Engine Balancing
NA Tuning Stage 1
Race Suspension
Triple Plate Clutch
FC Transmission
Race Flywheel
FC LSD
Weight Reduction 3
S3 Tires
Rigidity Rrefresh (if needed)
Rims (if wanted)

Suspension
Spring Rate: 10.0 / 10.0
Ride Height: 69 / 69
Bound: 8 / 4
Rebound: 8 / 4

Brake Controller
Brakes: 8 / 9

Transmission

Gear Ratios
1st: 3.040
2nd: 2.140
3rd: 1.625
4th: 1.265
5th: 1.007
6th: 0.816
Final Gear: 3.310

Autoset: 16

Driving Aids

LSD
Initial: 10
Acceleration: 10
Deceleration: 25

Crazy Horse II
Ford Mustang SVT Cobra R
IMG0144.jpg

1351kg
482hp
490ft/lbs
2.800 kg/hp

***Note, I tuned a 6.2 mile version of this car.***

Buy These Parts
Oil Change
Racing Brakes
Brake Controller
NA Tuning Stage 1
Port & Polish
Engine Balancing
Race Suspension
Triple Plate Clutch
Race Flywheel
FC LSD
Carbon Driveshaft
Weight Reduction 3
S3 Tires
Wing (To be added, not pictured)
Rims (if wanted)

Suspension
Spring Rate: 3.5 / 5.5
Ride Height: 104 / 104
Bound: 3 / 5
Rebound: 3 / 5
Camber: 1.5 / 0.5
Stabilizers: 5 / 5

Brake Controller
Brakes: 4 / 24

Transmission

Gear Ratios
1st: 2.578
2nd: 1.652
3rd: 1.206
4th: 0.942
5th: 0.768
6th: 0.615
Final Gear: 3.550
Autoset: 25

Downforce: 30 / 30

Driving Aids

LSD
Acceleration: 35

My first entry into the Tuner Garage Challenge Series.

Last edited:
Shelby Series 1 "Supercharged" '03
IMG0152.jpg

1057kg
374hp
334ft/lbs
WPR: 2.827

Buy These Parts
Racing Chip
Stage 1 NA Tune
Racing Brakes
Brake Controller
FC Suspension
FC Transmission
Triple Plate Clutch
Race Flywheel
FC LSD
Carbon Driveshaft
Weight Reduction 3
S3 Tires
Rollcage
Wing

NOTE: DO NOT PERFORM OIL CHANGE

Suspension
Spring Rate: 10.3 / 6.3
Ride Height: 90 / 90
Bound: 8 / 1
Rebound: 8 / 1
Camber: 1.8 / 1.3
Stabilizers: 1 / 6

Brake Controller
Brakes: 4 / 24

Transmission

Gear Ratios
1st: 2.499
2nd: 1.890
3rd: 1.454
4th: 1.144
5th: .918
6th: .759
Final Gear: 4.300

Autoset: 12

Downforce: 30/30

Driving Aids

LSD
Acceleration: 5

Having already entered one car into the Tuner Garage Challenge Series, this is my other car to be entered.

REVIEW OF CIZETA V16T BY ADAMGP FOR MUSCLE CAR GARAGE

First, you forgot to list full LSD in the car specs sheet.

PHASE ONE - DEFAULT TUNE

Initially I drove this car with added parts at default (no AIDS), and it's almost as woeful as the last time I drove it. Wheelspin is guaranteed during almost any corner. The braking distance should be measured in minutes, not metres. The SIFO technique (Slow In - Fast Out) turns into an embarrassing exercise of crawling through mid-turn, tyres squealing, while I imagine a slightly-tuned Civic flying past and laughing. Anything using the Fast-In tactic equates immediately to Fast-Into-A-Brick-Wall. The hairpins at GVS were truly embarrassing.

The high-speed corners are arguably worse. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO COAST IN THIS CAR. Twice in a row I hit the wall on the last turn at GVS, and managed a 720 degree spin on the first occasion. Both times took me so long to stabilise I worried about accidentally going into the pits.

I finally got a handle on it but it was simply less unsatisfying, not what I'd call a good car.

EDIT: a few laps later it approaches tolerable. That's the best I can say about it. I also did a quick B-Spec test (see below).

Let's see if Adamgp can change my opinion.

PHASE TWO - INITIAL IMPRESSIONS OF SPECS (BEFORE TESTING)
You've taken out heaps of the stiffness, naturally. Shocks seem somewhat counter-intuitive having the same ratio of 8/4, considering they do quite different jobs, but this is more likely to be due to my limited experience of tuning. I can't comment on the unusual camber for the same reason.

Stabs 1/1 is rather radical in my (limited) experience. Only time I saw it work was on a flat-out racecar. Once again, I can't see how it can balance against/with the shocks.

Brakes 20/24 I'm not sure about, cause I was told GT4 brakes work on ratios, not absolute values. ie, 20/24 equates to 5/6. Pls someone correct me if I'm wrong. Actually, the more I think about it the more wrong I think I am.

Gears look a bit bland, I don't like it when a tuner does relatively little to the overall curve.

On the positive side, I love the fact that you've taken it up by 3mm on the height. Some (myself included) might go for a 102/107-9 front/rear, or probably lower, and incorporate that into the shocks and springs. You seem to be taking a more considered approach and addressing the central tension in the car.

PHASE THREE - TESTING AT GVS​

B-Spec test on Adamgp's tune: 2:20.109 first lap, 2:17.063 best of five laps.
B-Spec test on parts+default tune: 2:09.692 first lap, still the best lap after the first five.

The problem IMO is how to address the huge flaws in the car: the brakes, the understeer, and the dreadful cornering speed.

You've largely overcome the second problem, presumably through the softer suspension. If you pick the right lines on the right (ie long) corners, then you can really carve it up. It's much more tail-happy as a result during early, mid, and late corner, but it avoids the 'submarine' turning circle of default.

The brakes have been improved only slightly. Low to mid speed corners are slightly better, but braking from speed for a hairpin is now somewhat like a college student doing the 'helicopter vomit'. Not pretty, from any angle. I really think you should look at stabs, camber and toe (in that order). And try brakes settings like 4/7 or 4/9 at minimum, they could do the trick.

Cornering speed is just as bad as default. Again, I suspect camber and toe to be missing here, though I couldn't offer a better ratio, nor do I have time to test different settings.

FINALLY, on my third stint on the car, I figured out how you could possibly drive such a thing: use the handbrake, and drift through corners.

The normal brake is good for the sweepers, now that understeer has been largely eliminated. Hairpins simply need to be taken at a snail's pace. However, for the majority of corners, using the handbrake aggressively before turning will send you into a lovely drift that's very controllable, to the point of being a bit twitchy. Even I - being dreadful at drifting and not really liking the technique - was impressed by the potential for the car. It's beautiful to watch this donkey of a thing sliding gracefully through a turn with four wheels at a 50 degree angle to the trajectory.

In this sense, acceleration on exit is even more of a letdown, and not terribly well addressed compared to the default car. However, I'm simply terrible at drifting, so it could be a good tune for someone with more experience.

Overall, it's more than a worthy effort for such a notoriously difficult car. You really should point out how the car should be driven, however. Eg, I never drive drift cars, and guess that I haven't used the handbrake once since I started using the two analogue paddles three years ago.

This car should be a great drift car, perhaps you could post it over in that subforum to get some better feedback.

Back