#TheCardboardBox Tuning |Touge|Wangan|

Which kinds of setups would you like to see more of from us?

• Purpose built Race-Cars

Votes: 9 18.4%
  • High-Performance Touge (>530PP)

Votes: 10 20.4%
  • L.o.t.S. Touge (Class A, B, C)

Votes: 18 36.7%
  • Wangan

Votes: 13 26.5%
  • Track-Ready Street Cars

Votes: 21 42.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Onboy123
Wow, haven't you come a long way! đź‘Ť It was barely 2 weeks ago when I received a PM from you on the subject of car and tune reviewing and when I talked a little bit about learning from reviews and the tunes you test. Now you're already putting tunes together! :eek: :D

Just really enjoying it all mate.
Still have 3 NSX's to review.

I'll send you my RX8 tune see if I'm doing it right.

Really need a tune for:

Sprinter Trueno GT-APEX '83 440PP / 6 Speed or 5 Speed (upgrade no FC) / Sports: Hards

Any help would be great been trying all kinds of tunes but nothing seems to feel exactly right yet. I want to race it really bad but now I've been focusing on a car much better off because of a lucky tune I found in my Silvia K's (S13) '91, an amazing car on the mountain downhill so far. Thanks again for taking the time any help is appreciated. :)

About me.
I'm testing cars offline with all driving assists off, but ABS 1. I use a DS3 controller and only really race for fun. I'm not a great driver so I know other people will be able to beat my times in these cars.

Review

I've started testing Togue cars as a break from My NSX tests.

I though what better place to start than Touge-Spec Performance Tuning
headed in to the garage and picked out one of my all time favorite cars the skyline GT-R R34. I love this car but never thought of it as a Touge car. It's know as being a bit on the heavy side and not a great handling car. so with a little trepidation I headed out to Deep forest.

Car details:
Nissan Skyline GT-R V spec II Nur '02
500PP
354hp/7600rpm | 359ft-lb/4600rpm
1336kg

On the starting line I was expecting lots of over steer from a heavy car running on Sports hard tyres. I was wrong. This lump of a car handles much better than I thought it would, the tyres hold on a lot longer than expected and when it does go it's actually controllable. There were no unexpected dives for the track edge. But I would always hope a 4WD would be a stable base to tune from. I really liked this tune and I managed to get round the deep forest in 1:27.993. So I can back up T-spec's claim of Deep forest in under 90 seconds. Great job guys.

Lancer Evo IX
499PP
375hp/5600rpm | 353ft-lb/3500rpm
1297kg

Back to the tuning garage to pick out my next car. After the great time I had in the GT-R I now had high hopes for the EVO. Sadly it wasn't as good as the GT-R. (I say sadly but I was happy really as I love the GT-R) after several attempts at the forest the best I could get was a 1:29.xxx I was getting a lot of under steer while trying to keep up with the GT-R's ghost. Mostly managed to be 0.050 faster at the first split, but it all went wrong in the second section. Dropping 0.5 of a second on the GT-R's lap, then trying too hard to make up the time in the last section meant I was more often than not on the grass out of the last turn. I took the car back to the garage and did something I had never done before. I changed a setting to suit my driving style. I know this is bad but I needed to try and beat the GT-R. This was a lighter car with more BHP how can it not beat the GT-R. As I was under steering I went straight to the AYC and put it up from 85 to 100, jumped back on the track and started to see the improvement straight away. The first corner was taken much better I was now 0.250 faster at the first split. I still lost out in that second section but I was right on the ghosts tail, I managed to stick with the ghost till the end of the lap and finished with a time of 1:28.071.

Very close but I did see how I could try and shave 0.250 off the skylines time in that first corner. So I'm sure I could get better time with that now.

Both great cars. I'm so impressed how well a 500pp car can handle on Sport hard tyres. Great work guys. sorry for changing a setting on the EVO. but the extra AYC just helped my driving style a little.

I'll get round to testing some more of your tunes soon. Going to try some of your FF cars next.

Cheers
Cactus

Last edited:
Niice review! đź‘Ť
I bet you were especially wowed by the GT-R's minimal understeer.

As for the subtle change in the setup, that's to be expected as we all have different driving styles and techniques.
No apology necessary.
Glad you liked the setups, looking forward to your reviews. We'll keep the tunes coming!

TheRahavic
Really need a tune for:

Sprinter Trueno GT-APEX '83 440PP / 6 Speed or 5 Speed (upgrade no FC) / Sports: Hards

Any help would be great been trying all kinds of tunes but nothing seems to feel exactly right yet. I want to race it really bad but now I've been focusing on a car much better off because of a lucky tune I found in my Silvia K's (S13) '91, an amazing car on the mountain downhill so far. Thanks again for taking the time any help is appreciated. :)

I have a readily usable S13 setup I can share, though it isn't finalized just yet.

As for the Hachi-Roku, I do intend to have one on the thread. But, unfortunately I have no plans on having it up anytime soon.

toscanatarmac8.jpg

Mazda RX-7 Spirit R Type A (FD) '02
Rotary dragon

Tale of the Tape:
500PP
304hp/6400rpm | 259ft-lb/4500rpm
1051kg

Upgrades:

Rear wing type B
Weight reduction stage 3
Window weight reduction
Carbon fiber hood
Sports air filter
6 speed close-ratio transmission
Twin-plate clutch
Semi-racing flywheel
Customizable LSD
Carbon driveshaft
Fully customizable suspension

L.S.D.:

Rear: 8-45-16

Suspension:

Height: -20/-20
Spring Rate: 9.0/5.4
Damper Extension: 6/7
Damper Compression: 5/6
Anti-Roll Bars: 4/3
Camber: 1.8/1.2
Toe: -0.05/+0.08

Body/Chassis:

Aero: 0/28
Weight: 50/50

Brakes:

4/10

Notes: The tuning for this car was focused on making it the ultimate cornering machine. The RX-7 is a very good base car and with proper throttle control, it will drive exactly as you want it to, which should allow you to have higher exit speeds and keep up with more powerful cars on straightaways. Emphasis was also applied on fun and drivability. This car is a blast to race and you'll feel really good when you manage to clear a corner perfectly without touching the steering wheel. Feel free to change the brake setup, I prefer to have more control during braking but it might not be so good on your rear tires in long races. This car might not be the fastest for 500 PP but it sure feels incredible.

Last edited:
SolidSnake7735
Niice review! đź‘Ť
I bet you were especially wowed by the GT-R's minimal understeer.

As for the subtle change in the setup, that's to be expected as we all have different driving styles and techniques.
No apology necessary.
Glad you liked the setups, looking forward to your reviews. We'll keep the tunes coming!

Yep, I've had understeer on all the GT-R tunes I've made and couldn't get rid of it.
I've yet to test any touge tunes online. Once I've tested a few more cars I'll get online and see what sort of difference there is.
I know my own RX8 tune works great offline but is pointless taking it online.

More reviews coming mate.

Review

Honda Civic Type R (FD2) '08

Tale of the Tape:
480PP
325hp/8600rpm | 241ft-lb/6600rpm
1102kg

After testing a couple of 4WD touge cars from the garage I though it was time to pick out an FF. Now I wasn't expecting much from FF cars compared to 4WD. FF cars aren't as much fun as 4WD or FR cars and have a tenancy to under steer rather badly with the front wheels doing all the work steering and driving the car.
Sadly I got what I expected. But it will always be an FF so I need to be objective and look pass the FF downfalls.
I hit the Deep Forest raceway and turned in to the first corner with too much speed. not good. Landed myself on the grass. took the rest of the first lap slowly. After a couple more laps and I was starting to find the limits of the car. Picking the right breaking points.
I managed to get a lap time of 1:29.209 so just under that 90 second mark.

Did I enjoy the car... No not really. will i use it again if I have the GT-R available. i doubt it. I need to test a few more FF touge tunes to be able to compare it against something. testing it against 4WD cars isn't really fair.

Quick heads up guys, the parts list for this car doesn't make the BHP i had to add the race exhaust, the ECU to get to the BHP suggested.
also the Toe line from the suspension is missing. I added -25 front and left the back at 20. this may be why the car only just beat the 90 seconds.

I'll retest if my guessed toe is settigns are too far out.

ToscanaTarmac-6.jpg

Flux TS2 (Touge Spec)
DMC Delorean S2 '04

GT Auto:
Oil Change

Tale of the Tape:
450PP
254hp/6000rpm | 253ft-lb/4400rpm
1123kg
Model: Standard
Type: Touge

Upgrades:
Weight Reduction Stage 2
Window Weight Reduction
Sports ECU
Engine Tuning Stage 2
Racing Air Filter
Sports Exhaust
Transmission: Close Ratio 6 Speed
F/C LSD
Twin Plate Clutch
Racing Flywheel
F/C Suspension

Tyres:
Sports: Hard

Power Limiter:
98.7%

Transmission:
6 Speed Close Ratio

L.S.D.:
0 - 8
0 - 10
0 - 9

Suspension:
Spring Rate: 9.5/8.5
Damper Extension: 4/5
Damper Compression: 7/7
Anti-Roll Bars: 3/3
Camber: 1.8/2.0
Tow: -0.10/0.17

Downforce
No Downforce

Brakes:
6 - 7

Ballast:
0kg

A surprising car for a RWD, Not as fast as the modern day cars but it can still be a surprise for what it is đź‘Ť

Last edited:

Mitsubishi Evolution (EVO) Lancer VI. (6.5) TME (Tommi Makinen Edition) by 'Bobesh, on Flickr

The Black Mamba
Lan Evo VI T.M.E.

Tale of the Tape:
500PP
355hp/6400rpm | 336ft-lb/3300rpm
1127kg

Upgrades:
Weight -3
Engine +3
Rollcage
Lightweight Windows
Carbon Hood (i chose body colored)
Power Limiter: 98.7%
F/C Suspension
Sports Flywheel
Twin-plate clutch
Carbon Driveshaft

Torque-Sensing Center Diff:
Front- 35-40 (depending on road conditions)

AYC: 80

Suspension:
Spring Rate: 6.0/4.2
Damper Extension: 6/5
Damper Compression: 6/3
Anti-Roll Bars: 4/4
Camber: 2.0/1.0
Tow: 0.00/0.20

Body/Chassis:

Ballast: none

Brakes: 8/8 (ABS OFF)

Setup by SolidSnake7735

NOTE: This setup is not for the feint of heart. Named after the world's fastest snake, this beast can corner with the best. Personally, I'm a fan of AYC and you have to know how it works to squeeze out the G's from this hairpin monster. Proper weight transfer technique is key in this car as all suspension & drivetrain components are tuned in unison. I hope you all enjoy driving it as much as I do.

Cheers đź‘Ť

[proper image coming soon, my laptop has technical difficulties]

Last edited:
The Black Mamba
Lan Evo VI T.M.E.

Tale of the Tape:
500PP
1127kg

Upgrades:
Weight -3
Engine +3
F/C Suspension
Sports Flywheel
Twin-plate clutch
Carbon Driveshaft

Suspension:

Body/Chassis:

Setup by SolidSnake7735

NOTE: This setup is not for the feint of heart. Named after the world's fastest snake, this beast can corner with the best. Personally, I'm a fan of AYC and you have to know how it works to squeeze out the G's from this hairpin monster. Proper weight transfer technique is key in this car as all suspension & drivetrain components are tuned in unison. I hope you all enjoy driving it as much as I do.

Cheers đź‘Ť

Got to tell you. The parts list is a bit confusing. You should give reference to all the parts to be bought. Yes, I know it is a lot of work, but people like me could understand it better. One example is the weight reduction. You have listed it as " weight -3" but you also need the window weight reduction and the carbon fiber bonnet to achieve the tale of the tape weight. I'm just pointing it out because I want to try the tune myself. I wanna see how the Black Mamba handles.

Got to tell you. The parts list is a bit confusing. You should give reference to all the parts to be bought. Yes, I know it is a lot of work, but people like me could understand it better. One example is the weight reduction. You have listed it as " weight -3" but you also need the window weight reduction and the carbon fiber bonnet to achieve the tale of the tape weight. I'm just pointing it out because I want to try the tune myself. I wanna see how the Black Mamba handles.

true, true... i forgot to type it in as i was uploading the setup through the PS3 and didn't have the GT5 on to make direct reference. i was referencing the notes i wrote on a notebook haha

i updated it with the proper setup

Mitsubishi Evolution (EVO) Lancer VI. (6.5) TME (Tommi Makinen Edition) by 'Bobesh, on Flickr

The Black Mamba
Lan Evo VI T.M.E.

Tale of the Tape:
500PP
1127kg

Review

Well after testing a few 500pp cars from T-Spec and a couple of other tuners I though my next test would be the Black Mamba.

I went and bought a new Lancer Evo TME. Think I had 2 or 3 of these already, but I felt a fresh car was called for.
As it was called the Black Mamba first place I took it out of the show room was the spray shop. Then I had it painted black added a set of new wheel and painted them black too. so I now have a very black Evo with 2 white stripes down each side. Looks great.

I put all the tune parts on just like Snake told me to. Then I went about following Snakes exact instructions fine tuning them all.

Lots of tweaking later and I was on the track to test this Mamba out.
Pulling out on to the Deep forest track I could just tell this was going to be good. Heading in to the first long hair pin I was liking what I felt. a hint of under steer as I was a little heavy with my right foot into the apex. Power down and the car pulled nicely up the hill in to the start o the tight corners. this is where it started to go a little wrong for me. I'm a hard late breaker and back on the power as early and as hard as I can. In to the corners was all fine. No fish tailing, nice straight line under my heavy breaking. hit the apex then hammer on the power and start to get a little under steer so i easy of the power and the car lurches toward the out side of the track. Now I only ever get this with 4WD cars so I need to improve my driving style. RWD cars kick in to a drift but 4WD cars give me this odd feeling that the front wheels are slipping so much and the rear wheels are pushing straight forward and not over steering at all.
In fact this could be an AYC issue. As I don't remember getting this at all with the R34 GT-R.

Having said that I did manage a 1:27.xxx I think which is a very respectable time for my driving. I have only managed to get 2 cars at 500pp round Deep forest in 1:26.xxx an NSX and an RX-8.

I do like this car and It is competitive in my own 500pp testing series. I just have an issue with the odd under steer issue trying to kill me. Probably my an issue with my driving style than the car.

Great work Snake, I just need a little more time to fully tame this beast.

Yeah, it takes time to get used to the unique handling mechanics of AYC. my fastest time with that car around Deep Forest was 1:25:xxx

SolidSnake7735
Yeah, it takes time to get used to the unique handling mechanics of AYC. my fastest time with that car around Deep Forest was 1:25:xxx

Doubt I'll get it round that fast.
I'm preferring the rear wheel drive cars at the moment.

Hey Everyone,

Sorry for the lack of updates. I'm compiling new tunes & new layout/presentation for the thread.
Also not having my laptop has slowed progress immensely.
Soon to be featured; Drift, & Wangan/Grand-Touring tunes!!

Happy Driving y'all :)

Last edited:

The Black Mamba
Lan Evo VI T.M.E.

Tale of the Tape:
500PP
1127kg

Upgrades:
Weight -3
Engine +3
Rollcage
Lightweight Windows
Carbon Hood (i chose body colored)
F/C Suspension
Sports Flywheel
Twin-plate clutch
Carbon Driveshaft

Suspension:

Body/Chassis:

Setup by SolidSnake7735

Cheers đź‘Ť

this looks like a great tune but what is the rollcage there is no upgrade that adds a rollcage??

:lol: you might want to change it sooner or later. It confuses newer users. And they don't tend to look at all of the OP. I know I didn't when I first joined. I just went straight to the point and asked for a tune. :lol:

And since I'm now (sort of) familiar with Mt. Akina (familiar enough to use it as a review ground, in case you were interested), I guess I can start work on my first Touge review.

:lol: you might want to change it sooner or later. It confuses newer users. And they don't tend to look at all of the OP. I know I didn't when I first joined. I just went straight to the point and asked for a tune. :lol:

And since I'm now (sort of) familiar with Mt. Akina (familiar enough to use it as a review ground, in case you were interested), I guess I can start work on my first Touge review.

HAHA yeah i intend to, just that sinec my laptop is screwed im posting/browsing through the PS3 browser, all that typing is cumbersome. Also is why i haven't been updating the thread with the newer tunes I've been working on.

Snake I would just like to let you know my car ran a 1:24.281 on deep forest :D. I am very happy with it. The only problem I think I'll have is tire wear possibly. But if things go expected i shouldn't be battling people for too long. The reason I do not name the car I used for this time is because I'm not quite sure i want to tell the tune atm. Plus I'm still in the fine tuning stage.

Sorry to hear you think your tunes are now out of date with the Spec2 update.

I'll test your new tunes once you post some out.

After the Touge Shootout. I'll test your previous tunes again against times set and let you know if there is much difference.

Sorry to hear you think your tunes are now out of date with the Spec2 update.

I'll test your new tunes once you post some out.

After the Touge Shootout. I'll test your previous tunes again against times set and let you know if there is much difference.

Yeah, i have all those vehicles in my GT5 garage and it's not to say they're obsolote.. but the difference in handling is enough to warrant updating the settings since the FEEL is what matters most.

My Latest Project:

Hy everyody!!
(Hi Dr. Nick!!-er.. Touge!!)

My name is Adonis, and as you may guess the name is Greek (though I'm not). I've always had a fascination with Greek mythology. After the release of GT5 Spec II, most of my touge vehicles have felt the pain of the new changes in the physics model. So instead of tinkering with the old, I'll welcome the new, and for my latest and greatest set of tunes I will be embarking on the challenge of embodying the Greek gods into vehicles!!
With fine-tuning of every aspect, each god will be represented by a car who's handling characteristics will transform the drivers into gods themselves.

Zeus: King of the Gods who strikes down with lightning
Amuse S2000 GT1 Turbo (Touge/grip >600PP)
With such incredible handling and stability, precision overtakes on the touge come with relative ease

Hades: Lord of the underworld.Harbinger of Death and collector of souls who's wrath knows no bounds.
Mine's BNR34 Skyline GT-R N1 Base (Touge/Grip >600PP)
Such aggressive acceleration and corner hugging prowess, you'll almost forget it weights so much
(Complete!)

Poseidon: Ruler of the seas (yeah, he was never the most interesting god, hopefully this car will give the name new life!)
Honda NSX Type R (Touge/Grip 550PP)
Flows through corners like water and can strike at any given moment
(Complete!)

Ares: God of War. "Overwhelming, insatiable in battle, destructive, and man-slaughtering."
Mazda RX-7 Spirit R Type A (FD3S) (Touge/Grip 550PP)
Harness this vehicles handling prowess for unrivaled success on the touge!!
(Complete)

Artemis: Goddess of the hunt and wilderness
Gran Turismo 350Z RS (Touge 550PP)
The goddess of the Hunt. Able to chase down and conquer even the mightiest of supercars in the corners!

Helios: The Sun God
Ferrari F430 (Touge 550PP)
High-revving V8 boasting 530hp and the superb handling of a mid-engine layout. Might not be the fastest in its class but it sure as hell is the best looking thing on the touge.

Update: Artemis has been cancelled. Personally, because lately I've been quite disappointed by standard cars in GT5 that i refuse to dedicate a month's time on tuning a standard car. I feel that such a project should lay on the laurels of a Premium automobile.
I'm open to suggestions for vehicles to take the place of Artemis or another greek god(goddess) to be the 5th representative in this set.
Im hesitant to use Tuner cars simply because most of the work has already been done and it takes away from the challenge of tuning a street car to outperform all others on the touge

Update II:

I've started working on an Subie, Lan Evo and a Z34.
All are quite fast in different ways. Each with their strengths and weaknesses. Personally, I prefer Evo's over STi's. AYC and 4G63 make for a beautiful combination that requires different handling tactics. In time i will update with my own versions of these three vehicles.
Stay tuned, friends đź‘Ť:sly:

Update III:

Nearing completion of Artemis. Gran Turismo 350Z RS. And joining him is Helios, the Sun God. Ferrari F430. Both coming in at 550PP

Update IV:

The title of Artemis has been inherited by the 350Z RS. With front downforce, as well as an adjustable rear spoiler, it is a cornering machine of such prowess the Fairlady Z34 cannot match. On that note, I've embarked on a new side project, The Sisters of Fate (Moirai). A task better suited to the most predominant 4WD JDMs; controlling the very fabric of life and death on the Touge. I won't name the vehicles to take those places yet, but it's rather obvious the Lan Evo X will take its place among the Sisters.

Last edited:
Cool concept! I'm just wondering what type of shoes are your Gods gonna wear?

The 600PP beasts will be sporting nothing less than Sports Soft as that is their factory setting. Also, most other vehicles can't even run with them as these two particulars are just so powerful. Though i do intend in the future to give them something to compete against other than each other haha

Though I seriously considered the lesser gods (550PP) to run sports soft as well i felt that wouldn't set them apart from the rest of the similar vehicles out there. So i figured pointy shoes with wings was the way to go!!! haha, kidding.
Sports Hard is the way to go!!
They will be running F/C transmissions... after all, they are gods!
besides, it's the only way to make the best of the extra power.

for example, after trying out many different power setup options on the FD, the best handling one was the Stock turbine. those poor hard tires couldnt handle the steep power curve from Stage 3 turbine.

I'm not a pro in Japanese but from what I can understand 神峠 basically means Godly Touge.

I think 峠の神 is more closer to your original meaning Gods of Touge. đź‘Ť

Back