The Last Guy - Game that Combines B-Movie Monsters and... Google Earth?!?!

Digital-Nitrate

1955-2011 R.I.P.
Premium
United States
Austin, Texas
D-Nitrate / GTP_DNitrate
Sony Combines Zombies And... Google Earth
Posted on Wed Jul 9 2008 by Brian Ashcraft
If it was up to me (and it's not), and I could combine Google Earth with one thing, I would combine it with zombies. Well, that's EXACTLY what upcoming Sony Computer Entertainment title The Last Guy does — it's like they read my brain! Details are scant, but the top-down PS3 game has players use Google Earth to rescue large numbers of people by having them follow you to safe escape zones and avoiding gray matter eating zombies. Sounds like it'll be a PSN game and sounds like it will be totally awesome.

Current Resource Links:

Another 'dreamt up when on LSD' game.. sounds interesting, it will probably be like sim city meets dead rising!

Robin

Sony released the first official trailer (in HD of course) for The Last Guy on the Japanese PSN store and let me say... this looks even better than I imagined! 👍

It's also not really a "Zombie" game, but rather a "Monster" game, as the video showed many "B-Movie"-esque monsters roaming the cities seeking out the people you are out to save.

Also, the character you control appears to have a red cape... a la some kind of hero costume.

What immediately caught my eye though was the amazing detail, and how instead of just still Google Earth style images, there is a surprising amount of real activity, including moving trains, boats, water, and even flying birds. The ability to zoom in and out is very nice as well. 👍

I do not believe the trailer has been posted to GameTrailers yet, so for those who have not signed up for a Japanese PSN account, here are some pics I took off the TV (sorry no video capture card)

However, if you have a PS3 I strongly recommend you download the trailer as these pics really do not do it justice. You also won't see the clever way you navigate through the cities to avoid the Monsters and various road blocks, and how the hordes of people that are following you react to various situations... including getting attacked by the various monsters:

DSCN2027.jpg

DSCN2011.jpg

DSCN2012.jpg

DSCN2013.jpg

DSCN2014.jpg

DSCN2015.jpg

DSCN2016.jpg

DSCN2017.jpg

DSCN2018.jpg

DSCN2019.jpg

DSCN2020.jpg

DSCN2023.jpg

DSCN2024.jpg

DSCN2025.jpg

DSCN2026.jpg

All I really see are pictures of Google Earth, can't really see the people or whatever, I guess Il have to see the vid.

Robin

I do not believe the trailer has been posted to GameTrailers yet, so for those who have not signed up for a Japanese PSN account, here are some pics I took off the TV (sorry no video capture card)

GameTrailers still doesn't have it up yet, but Gamersyde does:
  • WMV (2:19 720p 35 MB)
  • MP4 (2:19 720p 31 MB)

EDIT: Just a heads up... I just downloaded the WMV version and the colors are way off and the video is not as clean. I suspect this was caused by whatever video codec converter was used. I have not yet looked at the MP4 version.

EDIT 2: The MP4 version has the same image problems as the WMV version. :indiff:

I finally saw the trailer online but seriously your going to go blind playing the game with people that small from that altitude.... they should have it so it starts zoomed in then widens as the line of people you lead grows.

I also had a thought, this is was GTA would look like today if they had chosen to stay with top down view! :sly:

If they made it a bit more 'shaun of the dead' it would be extra cool!

Robin

I finally saw the trailer online but seriously your going to go blind playing the game with people that small from that altitude.... they should have it so it starts zoomed in then widens as the line of people you lead grows.

It will definitely pay to have a HD display and sit close to the screen if it's not a big screen.

I really like the concept, and the gamplay looks very promising to me. 👍

BTW: As far as the issues I had with the videos from Gamersyde... I played both the WMV and MP4 versions on my PS3 instead of my PC:

DSCN2032.jpg

They both looked so much better and nearly identical to the original video off the Japanese PSN store, so the issue wasn't the files, but the video processor (PC/LCD vs PS3/PDP).

💡

Just a random question DN, does the Vizio logo on your TV glow? Its just looks like it does from all these pics... quite cool if it does! :)

Just a random question DN, does the Vizio logo on your TV glow? Its just looks like it does from all these pics... quite cool if it does! :)

Yes. Fortunately it isn't very bright, and I think there is an option to turn it off, but I have not looked into that yet.

Well it's now availble in Japan:

DSCN2380.jpg

As well as an odd little PSN trailer for it:

DSCN2379.jpg

At half the price of PixelJunk Eden, which also just got released in Japan, I'm guess this will also sell for about $5 in the US as well. 👍👍

I'm loving these $5-$10 PSN games! :)

Sony released the first official trailer (in HD of course) for The Last Guy on the Japanese PSN store and let me say... this looks even better than I imagined! 👍

It's also not really a "Zombie" game, but rather a "Monster" game, as the video showed many "B-Movie"-esque monsters roaming the cities seeking out the people you are out to save.

Also, the character you control appears to have a red cape... a la some kind of hero costume.

What immediately caught my eye though was the amazing detail, and how instead of just still Google Earth style images, there is a surprising amount of real activity, including moving trains, boats, water, and even flying birds. The ability to zoom in and out is very nice as well. 👍

However, if you have a PS3 I strongly recommend you download the trailer as these pics really do not do it justice. You also won't see the clever way you navigate through the cities to avoid the Monsters and various road blocks, and how the hordes of people that are following you react to various situations... including getting attacked by the various monsters:

DSCN2027.jpg

DSCN2011.jpg

DSCN2012.jpg

DSCN2013.jpg

DSCN2014.jpg

DSCN2015.jpg

DSCN2016.jpg

DSCN2017.jpg

DSCN2018.jpg

DSCN2019.jpg

DSCN2020.jpg

DSCN2023.jpg

DSCN2024.jpg

DSCN2025.jpg

DSCN2026.jpg

Wow, why does japan have a much nicer looking Playstion Store then we do? HAHA but i wonder if you can have monster attack your street! That would be really cool, although wierd. Does anyone know when it is coming out?

A friendly suggestion, Halestor: Please don't quote massively long post like that. It takes ages to scroll through it. 👍

And I'm pretty sure that their PSN looks the same as ours, unless I'm missing something.

Yeah that PS store looks exactly like mine. There is a display option though, it will either show up like that or without the images on the right and just a list.

I'll pass on this game but I must say it is exciting and groundbreaking to incorporate google earth and a game, imagine where this can take us! Racing around exact recreated US streets. GTA: New York? I95 Highway Racing. lol, Very cool.

Okay, I played the demo, once you get used to it it's actually kind of fun! The Japanese zaniness reminds me of Katamari Damacy :lol:

It's really short. Just one part of one level. And less than 250 MB! Compare that to the R&C or The Club demos which are nearly 2 gigs!

Also, the music sounds like a blatant ripoff of Popcorn by Kraftwerk.

I just downloaded the demo and it looks great :D Fantastic idea, so simple and it looks amazing... I think I'll pick this up when it comes out, too... 👍

This will be available on the NA PS Store today for $9.99, according to the Playstation Blog.

Looks like another expensive week for me on the Playstation Store.

I played the demo, it was ok, don't think I will buy it though.

I bought it, but I am finding it difficult early on. I need to play it more. It is fun, and I love the music, but I need to get my skills up.

Anyone else buy it? I woas hoping to see some opinions of people that put some time into it.

Back