Karelian MotorWorks - Updated with Racing Elise!

• Thread starter Temetias.
  • 220 comments
the brake thing i was talking about:
i love to brake late and it is very easy with most tunes i have used so far (RKM & Lion's Den)
I'm not saying that the brakes on your Z4 are weak, but i think that they are "only" average and for my personal taste it would be nice if their force could be increased a little bit (with the result of faster lap times)

tell us when you have found any improvements ;D

Dunno how that happened? I think you should be able to pull out 380 hp at least. Either you're missing a part or the car is so old that it's lost so much power. But I don't think that's even possible.

Check that you got the max hp tune. There might be a part missing from my list too.

Hi there KMW fellas:)
I have just sent a wonderful fully tuned Aston Martin DB7 Vantage to nomis3613 as he allowed me to choose a car to tune. Thanks a lot mate:)
Hope you enjoy it, and made the beast under that hood be unleashed!
Keep up

Last edited:
Hi guys thanks for the tunes .

I tried your tune for the Integra after trying another garages tune earlier. Im having trouble dialling out the understeer hence why im trying different tunes.

As an FF car I know the tendency will always be towards understeer and it may not fit my style . I usually get on well with an MR .

Are there any tweaks I can make to get the rear looser ? would sports hards be worth a shot ?

PS - your tune was more stable than the other I tried, thanks

GTShadowKing: Many thanks for the DB7, I'll get onto it!

bigberry: Thanks for the comments. The Integra is Temetias' baby, so I'll leave it to him to respond
(since it's FF, the rear tyres are only there to stop the muffler dragging along the ground :mischievous: )

Hi guys thanks for the tunes .

I tried your tune for the Integra after trying another garages tune earlier. Im having trouble dialling out the understeer hence why im trying different tunes.

As an FF car I know the tendency will always be towards understeer and it may not fit my style . I usually get on well with an MR .

Are there any tweaks I can make to get the rear looser ? would sports hards be worth a shot ?

PS - your tune was more stable than the other I tried, thanks

Hi Bigberry!

I didn't really find the Integra understeering except in the low speed corners. You can try to install racing hards to the rear if you wish to do so. But please double check the settings first, especially the rear toe angle.

With all the respect, I think it could be caused by the driving. Setup was tuned for DF EX wheel controller and the throttle control is much more easier than it is with DS3. Also the steering with DS3 becomes a bit too aggressive (lock-to-lock) for 400bhp FF car.

Temetias - Good point about the controller , throttle control is non-existent with X . Ill make the right analog accelerate and see if thats better. Thanks.

Hi again,

I set-up and tried your BMW Z4 tune last night, and was again very impressed.

I kept the transmission at the stock 300km rather than drop it down to 250 though, and kept ABS at 1 rather than the specified 3.

I tested on Rome and Deep Forest - the car slides very nicely around the tight right hander in Rome, and seemed made for the Deep Forest twists and turns - as long as your driving line is correct.

All up, another brilliant tune for a nice, mid-power car.

I look forward to more from you guys - really nice work. Thanks

Thanks again Krioto! 👍

You mentioned that the car "needs" a correct line to get around the turns and now that you've said that I noticed it too. Basicly it's quite easy to drive normally but driving fast requires correct line, otherwise it punishes you with going even more off from the line and forces you to brake.

But it's good to hear that you liked the car. Actually the Z4's brakes are now being re-tuned and one of the changes include a lower ABS value so you just might have driven the "1.1" version without even knowing that. :lol:

Last edited:
I look forward to the updated settings.

I took the z4 on the Nurburgring last night, and I don't know whether it is my driving style or what, but this is fast becoming my favourite car!

It has great grip and turning ability, but you can push the back-end out whenever you want, and the car just slides around corners - perfect on the 3rd section of the ring.

I don't want to sound as though I'm crazy, but this setup is ace, and I hope to see more mid-power European car setups form you guys - you've really nailed it with the z4 and the TT.

Good to hear that the setups are working for you! Thanks for taking them out for a spin!

And @ krioto: If you're a fan of european sport cars you're gonna love our next update. ;)

So... I've now tested the Spirit R done by you guys...

I didn't use your gearing; I'm afraid it's more than a bit short for most tracks, particularly with the mid-RPM turbo and ~540hp.

Now... Test was done at my (and my car's) home... Trial Mountain. After accidentally mis-setting the car a few times (downforce and spring rate accidentally got carried over from my tune at first) I got the "correct" settings under it (minus ABS which was at 1, ignore all problems I find with braking if you wish)... And struggled to hit 1:28s with it. My fastest lap was actually with my springs (7.0/5.2), your setup otherwise @ 1:28.762. Your full tune was about a 1:28.9; mine wound up at 1:28.319 at the end of the day.

The main trouble with your setup is that it's tight, tight, then gets loose; it also absolutely hates the first section thanks (I believe) to the dampers and sway bars. It throws weight around a bit too heavily and makes it a bit difficult to balance through there when combined with the sudden jolts of kerb-clipping.

In short, it's good... But just that. It doesn't suit Trial at all, nor does it suit me.

Test report of Z4 M coupe by KMW.

I did this test as a blind test, sort of. I received the car and took it to the track. First in the test pipe was top speed test on Wangan, which was cut short at mere 240kph. This did lead me to thinking that this must be set up for tight courses where acceleration is more important than top speed.

So, off to Autumn ring, Trial Mountain and Deep Forest I went. Where as the gearing was more suited for these twisty, tighter tracks (still did occasionally find the limiter on 6th gear), the rest of the setup didn't quite work. I found stubborn understeer at high speeds and lack of traction in the rear at low speeds. after barrage of the tests and runs of various tracks, I finally took a look at the settings.

The suspension itself was fine-ish, and I could see that stability was the goal of the setup. It also worked well when the car got sideways, it was easy to keep under control when traction in the rear was lost.

However, when coupled with full rear downforce and with LSD that was essentially a locked differential, the origin of the stubborn understeer at high speeds was obvious. The goal of stability was gained, but at the cost of overall handling. Also, the weight of the engine in the front didn't help the matters, but that isn't something easy to cure.

My final conclusion is, that this car, while not suitable for high speed tracks, is good for beginners at smaller tracks where top speeds around 240kph/140mph are usual. The car is stabile and lends itself for easy drifts when provoked, and teaches one to slow down properly before entering a corner. Overall feeling for the Z4 M is that it continues in the footsteps of the Z3 M coupe, providing steady learning platform for new drivers, without killing them in the process.

Suggestions for improvement: Lower downforce and more open diff, as well as taller gearing would probably make this car suitable for faster tracks.

TrialMountainCircuit.jpg

KMW DB7 GTS '11
Based on Aston Martin DB7 Vantage Coupe '00
Tune updated 13/8/11 for v1.10

Trial Mountain Laptime: 1:32.9 (with updated settings, previously 1:34.6)
Cape Ring South Laptime: 1:20.1*
* The car is tuned for Trial Mountain, a stiffer setup would probably be faster at Cape Ring South. Lap time shown for comparison only.

Facts
Displacement: 5935 cc
Max. Power: 594 BHP / 6900 rpm
Max. Torque: 68 kgfm / 5900 rpm
Drivetrain: FR
Weight: 1448 kg
Power to Weight Ratio: 2.25 kg/BHP

Parts to buy

GT Auto
Oil Change
(no aero parts)

Tuning Shop
Chassis Weight Reduction Stage 3
Improved Rigidity
Window Weight Reduction
Rigidity Enhancement
Engine Tuning Stage 3
Sports ECU
Sports Intake Manifold
Racing Air Filter
Titanium Racing Exhaust
Sports Exhaust Manifold
Sports Catalytic Converter
Fully Customisable Transmission
Twin Plate Clutch
Carbon Propeller Shaft
Fully Customisable LSD
Fully Customisable Suspension Kit
Sports Soft Tyres

Setup

Body / Chassis
Aerodynamics

Downforce: N/A
Ballast: 109 kg at +50

Transmission
Firstly, set Max Speed: 300km/h
Then set Final: 3.26
Finally, set the individual ratios:
1st: 2.96
2nd: 2.06
3rd: 1.63
4th: 1.40
5th: 1.12
6th: 0.92

Limited Slip Differential
Initial Torque: 16
Acceleration Sensitivity: 16
Braking Sensitivity: 20

Suspension
Ride Height Adjustment: +5 / -10
Spring Rate: 9.0 / 8.7
Dampers (extension): 7 / 4
Dampers (compression): 6 / 2
Anti-Roll Bars: 2 / 1
Camber Angle: 2.5 / 1.3
Toe Angle: -0.20 / 0.20

Brake Balance Controller
Brake Balance: 2 / 3

Driving Options
Transmission: MT (recommended)
TCS: OFF (recommended)
Skid Recovery Force: OFF
Active Steering: OFF
ASM: OFF
ABS: 1

Many thanks to GTShadowKing, for not only was the DB7 his idea, but also he kindly donated the actual car that turned into the DB7 GTS. The DB7 is designed as a Grand Tourer, rather than a hard-edged racer. This is hinted by the lack of aerodynamic addons, how could you possibly mess with such classic styling?? KMW's aim was to retain this character but at higher speeds. Therefore, suspension is softer than usual and the diff is relatively loose. However, great care was taken to avoid this turning into "sloppy" and "unbalanced". You be the judge!

With GTShadowKing's agreement, a relatively low-spec tyre was chosen to balance horsepower and rubber. While stickier tyres would be faster, the driver's smile should be wider on Sports Soft, as he/she plays throttle-steer in the lower gears. This slight compromise of speed for fun and character sums up the philosophy of the DB7 GTS.

*UPDATE*
While the original goal of stability and suppleness has been retained, some tweaks have been made to reduce the understeer and better control mid-corner body movement. There is also greater potential for throttle-steering with the revised settings. However, if you find them a bit too hyperactive for a GT, increase rear toe to +0.50 to calm down the rear end.

Last edited:
I'm sorry to say, Simon, but that's dreadfully slow for Trial on S3s. My Atenza does 1:34s all day and my Volvo C30 does 1:31-2s all day.

The worst part is I can't see anything glaringly wrong with the tune (aside from perhaps the ABS setting); is the DB7 really that poor in GT5?

"dreadfully"?? What are you saying about my driving, RJ???
(kidding)

Yeah, it's a heavy beast. And the lap time at Trial Mountain is mine not Temtias's (he is 1-2 seconds quicker).

But I'm really happy with how it feels, so I'm not too fussed about seeing your Volvo disappearing into the horizon!

"dreadfully"?? What are you saying about my driving, RJ???

:P Figured it may have been part of it.

Yeah, it's a heavy beast. And the lap time at Trial Mountain is mine not Temtias's (he is 1-2 seconds quicker).

But I'm really happy with how it feels, so I'm not too fussed about seeing your Volvo disappearing into the horizon!

A fun car is 9 times out of 10 more fun than a fast car so... :P

Also, the Volvo isn't exactly slow; it's beaten up on more than a few proper sports cars, so don't be too fussed about it.

Hi guys! I didn't even notice that you've written these really nice reviews here!

@RJ
I somehow guessed that you will be driving the RX-7 sometime. :) Thanks for being honest with giving feedback. I agree that the car really doesn't suit Trial Mountain. It would probably be the last place where I would test my car. Not saying that it's a bad track, but I just somehow, well, hate it. Of course that doesn't mean that the setup shouldn't work there, so there must be something wrong with the suspension.

That was one of my first tunes in GT5, which has a lot better driving simulation than GT4, especially when it comes to weight transfer and how the car moves overall. In GT4 the car's weight shifted differently and when I started tuning in GT5 I was first quite shocked how the car dived under braking and leaned when cornering. Because I hysterically tried to reduce sideways movement, my first tunes ended up being very stiff. I'm going to redo the RX-7's and Z4's suspensions soon.

@Leo
Glad you took your time to drive one of my tunes! I'm gonna do a review of some of your car soon! ;) Yeah, now when I've learned a bit more of GT5 tuning I also noticed the slight understeer issues that the Z has. Again, I'm gonna redo the Z's suspension and then I could take a look if I could use more open diff as you suggested. Basicly, when my setup ended up bit too stiff I've tried to fix it with the LSD and downforce. I didn't do that deliberately, but when looking the settings afterwards, it's quite obvious.

Thanks for the feedback guys! :)

I'm sorry to say, Simon, but that's dreadfully slow for Trial on S3s. My Atenza does 1:34s all day and my Volvo C30 does 1:31-2s all day.

Well, I took the DB back to Trial Mountain again. I managed to do 1'33.290. That laptime can still be lowered by someone who likes and knows Trial Mountain. Taking into account the lack of downforce and keeping in mind the weight of the car, that laptime isn't really that bad. This setup can do under 1'33 if really pushed to the limit. I just weren't capable of doing that in Trial Mountain. :)

The worst part is I can't see anything glaringly wrong with the tune (aside from perhaps the ABS setting); is the DB7 really that poor in GT5?

Yea mate the DB7 is not fast for the HP it has, nor his weight...but is fuc***g fun to drive:D That's why I like him, not for speed but for fun:tup:

This is what I wrote to nomis while he was tuning the DB7:
"My friend, this is defenitely not the best car out there, but it's now ****ing fun to drive You sir made my day.
Where is the understeer? What about the oversteer? I don't know mate you tell me...
It has still some Kgs (but we can't do more against that), but it's impressive...
But what I like the most, is his power...after shifting a gear up, it jumps to high revs which make it feel awesome...just AWESOME.
I made 1:33:656 in Trial Mountain (few laps though) and yes it's not very good It's 2 seconds slower than TT-S.
What I feel that is this car weekpoint is the handling...it feels great, but due (it's what I think, my tuning knowlegdement would make you vomit) is weight, it slows a bit while turning...
There is a little wheelspin, but it doesn't do nothing to the car's handling...and I like the smoke
Oh, and just checked...DB7 time is EXACTLY 2 seconds slower in TM than TT-S (1:31:656) what a coincidence..."
:cheers:

Thanks, GTShadowKing. Yes, as others have noted it's not the fastest tune in the world!

And your comment about the inside wheel spinning is spot on. I left it like that because the power oversteer is so smooth and controllable with the inside tyre spinning up. And it doesn't seem to affect acceleration too badly.

Cheers,
Simon

Hi guys, first post here, but been using the forums for a while now. Starting to look into tuning and I think the overall presentation and choice of cars you have here is great. I'm going to try out a few of them the next time I'm on the game and will see how they go!

^ danardif1, thanks for your kind words. Teemu has put a lot of great working into making this garage look ace, glad to hear you like it. Hopefully our tunes also drive ok (wink!), if you could spare the time to post a review, that would be much appreciated.
Simon

integratypeRR.jpg

KMW Racing Integra Type RR '11
Based on Honda Integra Type R (DC5) '04
(this is a tune for racing soft tyres, compared with the Integra Cup Car, which is for racing medium)
Tune updated 13/8/11 for v1.10

Tsukuba Laptime: 54.8
Cape Ring South Laptime: 1'13.8*
* The car is tuned for Tsukuba, the gearing is too short even for Cape Ring South! Lap time shown for comparison only.

Facts
Displacement: 1998 cc
Max. Power: 390 BHP / 8900 rpm
Max. Torque: 32 kgfm / 7900 rpm
Drivetrain: FF
Weight: 950 kg
Power to Weight Ratio: 2.39 kg/BHP

Parts to buy

GT Auto
Oil Change
Racing Modifications

Tuning Shop
Engine Tuning Stage 3
Sports ECU
Sports Intake Manifold
Racing Air Filter
Sports Exhaust Manifold
High RPM Range Turbo Kit
Twin Plate Clutch
Semi Racing Flywheel
Fully Customisable LSD
Racing Soft Tyres

Setup

Body / Chassis
Downforce: 15 / 20

Transmission
Firstly, set Final: 4.600
Then max Speed: 180km/h
Then set Final: 3.30
1st: 3.88
2nd: 2.88
3rd: 2.50
4th: 2.05
5th: 1.75
6th: 1.49

Drivetrain
Initial Torque: 5
Acceleration Sensitivity: 18
Braking Sensitivity: 5

Suspension
Ride Height Adjustment: +5 / -10
Spring Rate: 5.0 / 4.5
Dampers (extension): 4 / 2
Dampers (compression): 3 / 3
Anti-Roll Bars: 2 / 2
Camber Angle: 2.0 / 2.0
Toe Angle: 0.0 / 0.0

Brakes
Brake Balance: 4 / 6

Driving Options

Take one Honda Integra Type R. Crank it up a notch and you have a KMW Racing Integra Cup Car. Crank that up a notch and you have the KMW Racing Integra Type RR. Specifically tuned for the extra grip of Racing Soft tyres, it's raison d'être is to cause FF nightmares for owners of Lotus Elise's, Honda S2000's, etc. Short gearing plus FF equals lots of wheelspin out of slow corners; hopefully you will find that this Integra holds its line and remains adjustable, despite the smoke pouring out of the front wheelarches!

Last edited:
golfmki.jpg

KMW Golf Mk1.1 '11
Based on Volkswagon Golf I GTI '76
Tune updated 26/6/11 for v1.10.

Cape Ring South Laptime: 1:26.5
Autumn Mini Laptime: 0:40.6

Facts
Displacement: 1588 cc
Max. Power: 220 BHP / 6900 rpm
Max. Torque: 24.3 kgfm / 6400 rpm
Drivetrain: FF
Weight: 728 kg
Power to Weight Ratio: 3.31 kg/BHP

Parts to buy

GT Auto
Oil Change

Tuning Shop
Chassis Weight Reduction Stage 3
Window Weight Reduction
Engine Tuning Stage 3
Sports ECU
Sports Intake Manifold
Racing Air Filter
Titanium Racing Exhaust
Sports Exhaust Manifold
High RPM Turbo
Semi Racing Flywheel
Fully Customisable LSD
Sports Soft Tyres

Setup
Transmission
Firstly, set Max Speed: 400km/h
Then set Final: 4.00
1st: 3.00
2nd: 1.90
3rd: 1.57
4th: 1.24
5th: 0.94

Drivetrain
Initial Torque: 5
Acceleration Sensitivity: 13
Braking Sensitivity: 5

Suspension
Ride Height Adjustment: -5 / -5
Spring Rate: 8.0 / 5.0
Dampers (extension): 4 / 3
Dampers (compression): 1 / 3
Anti-Roll Bars: 1 / 1
Camber Angle: 2.0 / 1.8
Toe Angle: 0.30 / -0.70

Brakes
Brake Balance: 1 / 3

Driving Options

It's a long time between drinks for KMW, finally we proudly present something a little slower, a little older and a little littler.

Is it sacrilegious to take a classic, pure, simple MkI GTI and stuff it full of modern technological wizardry like turbochargers, LSDs, carbonfibre weight reduction, etc? Or, can such sins be forgiven if said GTI is now capable of sticking it to the modern machinery?

Don't get too distracted pondering such philosophy, though, for it's actually quite a difficult car to drive fast. Soft suspension means weight transfer must be carefully controlled, and the short gearing gives the driver the option of wheelspin into 3rd gear. I say "option", rather than "danger" because a bit of slip is often required to achieve best lap times. Challenging, yet rewarding.

What's that I hear in the distance? A classic raspy 4 cylinder breathing through twin Webers, perhaps? Looks like the Mk1.1 could have a sparring partner soon, eh Temetias...

Last edited:
Wow, thanks for this. I absolutely love this car. With that horsepower and low weight it should have no trouble humbling more modern cars.

Latest Posts

Back