Status
Not open for further replies.

Joey D

Premium
United States
Lakes of the North, MI
GTP_Joey
GTP Joey
Recently the Did You See Anything Good Today thread has been inundated with pictureless claims of sighting and it's rather degrading the whole point of the thread. I have reminded members in the past of the rules of the thread but is seems to fall on deaf ears (or whatever the digital equivalent is). Not wanting to turn it into another Funny Picture Thread debacle, I figured I throw an open post up about it in the Site Feedback forum to see what can be done about it.

I think the current rules that were set in place by GilesGuthrie are good and pretty straight forward. However, I think the thread may need to be shut down and restarted to get rid of any claims of "I didn't know the rules". I feel that if the regulars keep bringing up the rules to members that aren't following them all it's going to do is create more useless bickering in the thread that should be reserved for pictures of cars and discussion revolving them.

Also I'm curious if there is any way to actually enforce the rules? I'm not talking about bans or even infractions but is there something less severe that could be done?

And the "I didn't have a camera/ had it ready in time" excuse is not passable?

Why would it be? It doesn't fly when someone claims they own X car and then doesn't produce a picture.

Ask any of the regulars, we all miss great stuff because we can't snap a photo. Just this summer I've missed a Lexus LF-A, Bugatti Veyron and a Porsche Carrera GT because I was driving and didn't have my camera ready. Is it disappointing? Of course, but at least you know it's out there and can track it down.

That's why I never post in that thread as I don't carry a camera with me 24/7. Plus I see Ferrari's, Porsche's, etc every day and it's not such a big deal to me anyway...

The point of the thread is to see the cars others have seen, and that's what people expect to happen when they read the thread. There's no satisfaction in reading what people saw. IMO

Joey D speaks the truth. It seems like in the last few months, the number of pictureless posts have risen significantly. Not sure why. I suspect it may have to do with the new members who all joined up when GT5 was released and are now venturing out of the GT5 section.

As a regular in the DYSAGT thread, I never post a spot unless I have a picture to back it up. I suggest you do the same.

I think what I posted might have exemplified what this thread is about. I will surely take note of it.

Cale
The point of the thread is to see the cars others have seen, and that's what people expect to happen when they read the thread. There's no satisfaction in reading what people saw. IMO

Yep. I couldn't care less if somebody wants to tell me what they saw. I like pictures.

I have some really bad pictures, to illustrate that you need to post a picture, whatever quality.

Coming back to the rules, very few respect them (put them here simplified, I hate complicated rules, although all the original input is valuable):

* Interesting Cars only (best only once per model, except rare old or exotics)
* A picture made by yourself or friend next to you at least - even if it's a crap one.
* Give us some context. Say where and when that you saw it.
* Dealerships and Manufacturer/Tuner sponsored car shows do not count. There is another thread for this.

P.S.: Do not try this at home, I'm a control professional.

================================================

The goal is that someone in Andenes also can enjoy some cars on the street pictures.

================================================

Edit: I read the thread and the person that thinks a picture is not needed should maybe start their own thread:

"I claim I saw a car but have not picture to prove it."
Rule: will illustrate with picture from internet.

The thread should stand as it is, for me.

Last edited:
Has anybody tried the report button?

Is it really against the AUP?

Just "Thread rules" seem a bit much to use the report button.

I only used it once, when someone asked for money :boggled: to pass events for other people.

BobK
Has anybody tried the report button?

No, it's not violating the AUP and I feel anyone should get infractions over this. I'm just addressing a concern I have.

My opinion is to start a new thread, if people are going to "ignore" the guidelines.

1. Pics or it didn't happen...occasional exceptions can be made, I suppose.

2. Also, what's rare/unusual/odd for one area of the world is not necessarily rare/unusual/odd for another.

3. Don't flood the thread, double post, et cetera.

Using the word "guidelines" implies they are not actual rules, like "don't be a dick" or "quit being a postwhore".

Please don't report trifling offences, unless they're a real troll, spammer, actually violating the AUP (rather than guidelines).

With the rareness thing, I don't really think most of us care about that. If you can explain why it's being posted then I see nothing wrong with it, however posting a 2001 Honda Civic EX probably won't be tolerated as it's stupidly common everywhere. I know some of our Canadian members rarely see anything past some average domestic cars, so I can understand why they would get excited about an M3. As long as it's kept in context I see nothing wrong.

Who cares? Life's too short to get your knickers in a twist about people that post sightings without pictures. I care just slightly less than 0.00000001% about this 'issue'. Surely, if anything we should be celebrating more people visiting the thread. You're going to turn more people away from the thread if you try to maintain this 'pictures or it didn't happen' stigma. Hell, I'll start a new thread now if you want...

I'm not sure creating a new thread solves anything - it still doesn't get around the issue that the rules are on the first page and most newer people don't look at the first page.

The only thing I can think of off the top of my head (though it's highly inelegant) is to rename the thread title something obnoxious like See Anything Good Today? [READ RULES ON 1ST PAGE].

Only reason I can't post pics is because the stupid iPad app won't let me.

Ooo, I didn’t think of going that route – good idea!

May I suggest when you start a new thread you could post links to some highlights from the old thread. I think that would be cool if there are any standout moments from the old thread that should get some more attention.

I have some really bad pictures, to illustrate that you need to post a picture, whatever quality.

Got time to give them as examples:

Ferrari:
5984251686_c0e0abcf5d.jpg

a bit better:
5984256024_9abb911781.jpg

maybe they can be used as an example.

Did you guess:
599 and california if you are interested

Would it be acceptable if we just used the report button and had the photoless posts deleted? It's more efficient than calling out the member in question and then going through a page and a half of useless debate.

Forums need a voting system, maybe a thumb-up / thumbs-down thing. When a post get's a certain amount of Thumbs-down votes, it disappears. *poof*

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back