Wallbanger's "Tons of Fun"(Final Round Underway)

CyKosis1973
This is only a quick test of a select few cars that I wanted to try. I didn't turn on real grip or tyre and fuel wear and only ran the cars for a handful of laps, so take a bit of time off and add a bit of time on ;)

Dragonthing BMW M5 '08 "Sturmdrachen"
Monza - 1:44.229 (1:42.851)
London - 0:55.043

Brakes, wha da..?? At Monza I couldn't understand why the brakes were setup the way they are. Almost every corner I went into the rears lock the instant I touched the brakes and it was all over. Red tyres mean no grip :( I set the brakes to a much more neutral front bias and instantly knocked out the above 1:42. However, that being said, at London I understand completely. The bias really helped to bring the whole thing under control and turned the nose in beautifully. Morale of the story, 5/10 good for tight, low speed track, bad for open, high speed track.

{Cy}

I think my problem was my test tracks...I mainly ran Monza very calmly, just to test out speed on the straights, and used London and the Nordschleife for proper setting up. The 5/10 is perfect for tracks that have a lot of proper corners and are less FLAT than Monza :dopey:

After reading a couple of the reviews of group C and seeing Praiano's rankings of the cars in group A, I'm beginning to wonder if I'm driving the right cars...:ouch:. Really opens your eyes as to what kind of handling different drivers prefer. You can throw a blanket over our laptimes but my ranking is completely different.

After reading a couple of the reviews of group C and seeing Praiano's rankings of the cars in group A, I'm beginning to wonder if I'm driving the right cars...:ouch:. Really opens your eyes as to what kind of handling different drivers prefer. You can throw a blanket over our laptimes but my ranking is completely different.

Different driving styles. Different controllers. Different controller settings. It all makes a difference. I tried Praianos Maserati tune and was 2 seconds slower than with my tune on the same car. His tune, for me, was push in, loose off. Tunes need to be tweaked to the driver and controller. I don't think we've come up with a competition to prove that out yet. Maybe that one should be my event? Assign each tuner with two or three drivers and see how far he can improve a car from stock based on their feedback?

Johnnypenso

Essentially driving is the same whether you use a controller or a wheel. The difference is smoothness. How much gas is the same, how hard to brake is the same, the line you take is the same, but all that together is what makes the difference for really fast times. I wouldn't compare yourself to praiano as he has got it all down. My car in the last competition was very fast, but very difficult to drive. The super good drivers got super good times with it the decent drivers got decent times with it. Thats why we have drivers choice award. The fastest car may be the best, but is just so hard to get right that you don't like it over another car that was still quick but made the lap easier.

Now I'm not a very good driver ( I know you hear that all the time, but I really mean it), but I do enjoy this game and have fun driving alot of cars. So my times may not be as you thought but I can tell you I tried VERY hard! :dopey:

I use a controler that came with my PS3, with the L3 for stearing and R3 for brake and accel. (same since GT3)
I will be testing Group D -

1) Onboy123 Mercedes CL626 'Blue Whale’
2) Dragonthing BMW M5 '08 "Sturmdrachen"
3) Johnnypenso Audi R8 5.2 FSI Quattro '09
4) MrGrado Chevrolet Corvette ZR1 (C6) '09
5) praiano63 Maserati Gran Turismo S '08
6) sheephead99 Mercedes C63 AMG 'GT Edition'

Times

London

Johnnypenso 0:52:563
MrGrado 0:54:546
praiano63 0:56:576
Dragonthing 0:56:089
sheephead99 0:57:118
Onboy123 0:58:004

Monza
Johnnypenso 1:37:232
MrGrado 1:39:002
praiano63 1:44:976
sheephead99 1:45:631
Dragonthing 1:45:876
Onboy123 1:51:023

Drivers Choice:
1st - praiano63
2nd - Johnnypenso
3rd - MrGrado
4th - Onboy
5th - Dragonthing
6th - sheephead99

I'm not a very good writer, or test driver, or tuner :dopey: So just a few words about these cars.
-(if you need to know more feel free to ask, and I'll try to tell you more)

All the cars were very enjoyable. Rating them from 1 to 6 was very hard. Any of them could be exchanged with the other. You all did a great job. Praiano your Maserati was the easyist to drive and the most fun. Turn in was great and just enough wheel spin to keep you on your tows. Johhny, just about the same with just a little to much "push" coming out of the corners. MrGrado, a great feeling car, but just a little too stressfull to be fully enjoyed. Onboy, the "whale" drives like a boat. Still a nice stable car to drive. Dragonthing, I think your car was in heat when I tested, it kept showing me its a**. More time with it, maybe I could control it. Sheephead, you're not last but tied for first. Good drive, I just wish I could get more out of it.

Thank you all for your time. I had fun. :dopey:

Last edited:
Essentially driving is the same whether you use a controller or a wheel. The difference is smoothness. How much gas is the same, how hard to brake is the same, the line you take is the same, but all that together is what makes the difference for really fast times. I wouldn't compare yourself to praiano as he has got it all down. My car in the last competition was very fast, but very difficult to drive. The super good drivers got super good times with it the decent drivers got decent times with it. Thats why we have drivers choice award. The fastest car may be the best, but is just so hard to get right that you don't like it over another car that was still quick but made the lap easier.

Praiano and I are the about the same speed overall so I would assume our skill level is about the same . His time in my S2000 for the Fall Shootout was within a tenth of mine. And I know he uses a wheel same as I do so it's not a DS3 vs. wheel kind of thing. I guess what I was referring to was that although our speed is the same in some cars, his preference is not the same as mine. A car I thought was soft and mushy he has highly ranked and one I thought was just about perfect he has quite far down the list. And yet our lap times are nearly identical..lol...

What it seems to mean is there is no such thing as a universal tune even amongst drivers of the same speed and with the same equipment. I knew there was a DS3 vs. Wheel difference but I always kind of assumed that a good wheel tune worked for everyone with a wheel and a good DS3 tune worked for DS3 users, but I'm starting to think that isn't the case either. You guys would know this better than me of course if you've had feedback in your garage's like this, I'm as green as grass when it comes to sharing tunes with other people.

All part of the learning process.....💡

This tuning preference is a crazy thing. Personally , i prefer the other Maserati Motor City Hami on london than mine. My is build to be easy and fit everybody, at least i've tried . But i love the precision of the MCH direction and i have no difficulties with the accel control because of the G27 pedal. I'm just slower because of the extra weight.
It's not a dificult car, it's just sharp the way i like sometime for the fun. Heavy car like this must have any kind of attractive , and the MCH have a great one.

><(((°>°°°°°°

Damn, I could be running 180kg lighter and still scored max points for weight! Still, I'm proud to be the fattest in a comp of heavyweights!

Johnnypenso, thanks for your excellent comments.

I think my problem was my test tracks...I mainly ran Monza very calmly, just to test out speed on the straights, and used London and the Nordschleife for proper setting up. The 5/10 is perfect for tracks that have a lot of proper corners and are less FLAT than Monza :dopey:

I adpated to the brakes quite quickly. But I'm a hamfisted monkey, so I struggle to brake and accelerate consistently. I'd also like to point out that everywhere else, your car was superb 👍

{Cy}

CyKosis1973
I adpated to the brakes quite quickly. But I'm a hamfisted monkey, so I struggle to brake and accelerate consistently. I'd also like to point out that everywhere else, your car was superb 👍

{Cy}

Then you should see me drifting my SRT10, the complete definition of ham-fisted :dopey: most of the time I can't drive well without my driving line, and then I usually need a good few laps practice just for one or two corners.

Ok&#8230;testing starts tomorrow for me. Final check, all Group B and D tuners have me added, right?

Onboy123
Ok&hellip;testing starts tomorrow for me. Final check, all Group B and D tuners have me added, right?

I don't even know who you are :sly: but you are definitely on my PSN...I wish you good luck with my stealth bomber :dopey:

I don't even know who you are :sly: but you are definitely on my PSN...I wish you good luck with my stealth bomber :dopey:

Yea…the so called 'Stormdragon'……You've already got my vote for the car with the best name in the shootout. :dopey:

Yea…the so called 'Stormdragon'……You've already got my vote for the car with the best name in the shootout. :dopey:
:mad::mad:"Isabella" smacks Onboy silly before running him over for disrespecting her like that.:mad::crazy:

:mad::mad:"Isabella" smacks Onboy silly before running him over for disrespecting her like that.:mad::crazy:

No worries, The 'Sturmdrachen' (God I love that name!! <3 :D) fends off the attack with a V10 scream and strikes with ungodly pace, knocking that V8 brick out of the race. :dopey:

Onboy123
No worries, The 'Sturmdrachen' (God I love that name!! <3 :D) fends off the attack with a V10 scream and strikes with ungodly pace, knocking that V8 brick out of the race. :dopey:

Bwahahahaha :sly: now play nice you two, we all know I will lose anyway...even if my car is the best looking! I don'e even want to go near the photo poll, last I saw I had one vote, and that was my own :(

nomis3613
Onboy, after those comments you might need to start driving around in a Tank Car for protection!!

My final results are in for Group A: https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?p=6284699#post6284699

Well done to all the tuners and a great variety of cars.

Thanks for the feed back, sadly ibcould never quite get the rear pinned down, and the understeer was at its worst on those last two corners of london. At least i know what i need to improve on. Seems as if my long brake didnt do my tuning any good.

wildheart90
Very agile, but I don't think the tune suits the GT character of this competition. Tail-happy under brakes, short gearing and stiff suspension all made it feel more "boy racer" than "Grand Tourer". But this strategy paid off at London, where the agility and AWD traction resulted in pole position. Driver vote: 5th

Thanks for the feedback, can you please explain where exactly you were tail happy? I didn't seem to have this problem while I was tuning so I am a little confused as to how this is occuring.

Thanks for the feedback, can you please explain where exactly you were tail happy? I didn't seem to have this problem while I was tuning so I am a little confused as to how this is occuring.

I know the question is not for me, but i've comment about your car that for me was the best from the groups i've tested.
This brake ,in my opinion is not tail happy at all. It allow to induce a very controllable braking when approaching a curve. The pressure you put on the brake will draw a perfect line tending to give a good eagerness to the car reaching the apex with precision and it's a very very fast way to take a turn with a FWD ,that for the most of them show understeer or neutral driving at this moment.
This is what i felt at least during my driving session.
Have a good day . And congrats again.

nomis3613
XDesperado67 Quite a soft suspension setup, good work for making sure it has GT character. For my DS3 technique, it felt like there was too much LSD Accel because throttle steering gave a bit too much oversteer at Monza. Also, 6th felt a bit short at Monza. Good turn-in, excellent balance. Surprisingly agile at London. Fun, yet also fast. Driver vote: 3rd
Glad you liked it. Tried to make sure I left plenty of room in 6th gear for Monza without sacrificing to much acceleration in the lower gears. I may have misjudged what it would need for those drivers that use a manual transmission as this worked good for me running an automatic. As for the throttle oversteer again I figured that controlling that with a more gentle touch on the throttle was preferred to not being able to bring the rear end out for tighter corners and as an aid to combating any understeer I wasn't able to tune out.

Those things said thanks for the good review and I'm more than happy to look at things that will help me polish this tune in the future either for the final round if I get lucky enough to make it or after the Blowout.👍👍

If i understand well the score sheet is wrong for Group D / Da dog / driver choice. The numbers are corresponding to the order he edit his post, not his choice that you can see here below.

:)👍 ><((((°> °°°°°°

Group D driving pleasure scoreboard :

1) MrGrado Chevrolet Corvette ZR1 (C6) '09 9.5/10
2) praiano63 Maserati Gran Turismo S '08 9/10
3) Johnnypenso Audi R8 5.2 FSI Quattro '09 8.5/10
4) Dragonthing BMW M5 '08 "Sturmdrachen" 8/10
5) sheephead99 Mercedes C63 AMG 'GT Edition' 7/10
6) Onboy123 Mercedes CL626 'Blue Whale&#8217; 6/10

uhm not sure what you mean , i am trying to find out what i did wrong but i am looking past it i can't find it .
I adjusted the list so that the car/tuner with the highest score would be at nr 1 , i tought this would be .more clear to see .

Can you please explain so i can correct my post if i made a mistake

uhm not sure what you mean , i am trying to find out what i did wrong but i am looking past it i can't find it .
I adjusted the list so that the car/tuner with the highest score would be at nr 1 , i tought this would be .more clear to see .

Can you please explain so i can correct my post if i made a mistake

This is the classification you give for driver choice ,where i'm N°2:
6) Onboy123 Mercedes CL626 'Blue Whale’ 6/10

And this is the one that is on the score sheet where i'm N°5
DaDog
London Monza Driver's
54.438 102.165 Choice
Onboy123 57.368 108.969 1
Dragonthing54.739 104.066 3
Johnnypen 52.052 95.752 4
MrGrado 52.837 97.403 6
praiano63 54.326 103.337 5
sheephead 55.306 103.464 2

This is the classification you give for driver choice ,where i'm N°2:
6) Onboy123 Mercedes CL626 'Blue Whale’ 6/10

And this is the one that is on the score sheet where i'm N°5
DaDog
London Monza Driver's
54.438 102.165 Choice
Onboy123 57.368 108.969 1
Dragonthing54.739 104.066 3
Johnnypen 52.052 95.752 4
MrGrado 52.837 97.403 6
praiano63 54.326 103.337 5
sheephead 55.306 103.464 2
Both are correct praiano.

With 6 cars in the group your second place by DaDog equals 5 points which is what the score sheet shows. You want points as the total points from all categories is what determines which two cars from each group goes to the final.👍👍

edit , i understood completely wrong so i had to adjust my post .
I tought i had done something horribly wrong

Both are correct praiano.

With 6 cars in the group your second place by DaDog equals 5 points which is what the score sheet shows. You want points as the total points from all categories is what determines which two cars from each group goes to the final.👍👍

edit , i understood completely wrong so i had to adjust my post .
I tought i had done something horribly wrong

Ok no problems. Nothing horrible don't worry. Everything ok, i just don't understand how it work and how will be done the actual final classification, i don't see anything about this on first page..... :)👍

Ok no problems. Nothing horrible don't worry. Everything ok, i just don't understand how it work and how will be done the actual final classification, i don't see anything about this on first page..... :)👍
The competition has 5 categories. With 6 cars in a group a car can earn from 1-6 points in each category. If you are #1 in a category you receive 6 points, #2 gets 5 points, #3 gets 4 points, etc. The points from all 5 categories are added together and the top 2 cars from each group go to the final round.

The Drivers Choice rankings for each Test Driver will be averaged just like the lap times are averaged.

So if a test driver ranks you #1 and a second one ranks you #3 along with DaDog's #2 ranking your average will be a #2 ranking or 5 points for the drivers choice category.

Hope that makes sense for you and clarifies any questions you might have.:D:tup:👍

I know the question is not for me, but i've comment about your car that for me was the best from the groups i've tested.
This brake ,in my opinion is not tail happy at all. It allow to induce a very controllable braking when approaching a curve. The pressure you put on the brake will draw a perfect line tending to give a good eagerness to the car reaching the apex with precision and it's a very very fast way to take a turn with a FWD ,that for the most of them show understeer or neutral driving at this moment.
This is what i felt at least during my driving session.
Have a good day . And congrats again.

Don't be congratulating me just yet, I could get more low reviews :nervous: .

Thanks for your kind words though.

Latest Posts

Back