Clueless Tunes - Classic Car Shootout (WE'RE DONE! Thank you all)

• Thread starter krenkme
  • 682 comments
facepalm.jpg

And your Username is.... WHY!!!?! :yuck:

and you spelled someone wrong.. :P

College humour! :dopey: Besides the account was made purely to make that entry. We didn't want it linking back to us. :lol:

Wasn't me who wrote it. :P

College humour! :dopey: Besides the account was made purely to make that entry. We didn't want it linking back to us. :lol:

Wasn't me who wrote it. :P

College Humor... so random it even has its own Website :lol:

Call your buudy and tell he spelt someone wrong! THIS IS URGENT!

College Humor... so random it even has its own Website :lol:

Call your buudy and tell he spelt someone wrong! THIS IS URGENT!

I think he knows, but the problem is we don't have the password for the account anymore so we can't edit it. :lol:

Anyway! Back on topic, Camaro is dominate! :dopey:

I think he knows, but the problem is we don't have the password for the account anymore so we can't edit it. :lol:

Anyway! Back on topic, Camaro is dominate! :dopey:

OH MY GOOOOOOOOD!! [/troll 2]

Nope.avi the Countach and the Lancia is giving those pesky Camaro's a difficult time :lol:

I hope i can begin my test tonight, if my connection is fixed. Just want to remember to the testers that my car is the one share by my friend onboy123, not the one on my ONLINE list, i could not take it out from there for the moment. Just for nobody do the test drive with the wrong car.:):)👍
Have a good day everybody.

Motor City Hami
Only two cars left to test. Rotory Junkie is one. Waiting for reply to my friend request or is someone else hosting his car?

Please post your times here and then PM my your top three drivers choice and the car you'd like for being a tester. Hope you had fun :dopey:

FITT pre-1975 Challenge – I used the G27 wheel with Nixim brake pedal mod with the settings on simulation and FFB set to 1. Cote d’ Azur, ABS 1, tire wear on, grip real and all else off. I drove all cars for a best of ten lap test session. Also, in real life, this track once had a wall right up to the red/white rumple strips at the hairpin after the tunnel. I drove all tunes just as that wall still existed – two wheels on the stripes, but not over them. My times may be slower than others who chose to cut that, but they will be consistent as I did the same with all cars. I am glad that I chose to be a tester. It was fun trying everyone’s tunes. Some of these tunes were truly elite. Thanks for letting me participate.

Rotary Junkie – Camaro ’69 – What can I say? RJ just quietly shows up with the fastest car and puts a hurtin’ on the field. Good balance of oversteer/understeer; right on the razors edge. Best transmission of the group and something I would have never thought to do. It shows me that I have a lot to learn about what the transmission has to offer in speed gains. Even though this was the fastest tune, it still was not my favorite car to drive. It is right on the edge all of the time. I was fast with it, but not comfortable at any time during the ten laps. This was a time attack, but if I were to choose a Camaro tune to be on track with other cars, I’d probably pick Roj’s car and put RJ’s transmission settings on it. 1:46.194 best of ten.

Dylans10 – Lamborghini Countach ’74 – Good car pick Dylan. I wish I would have tested one without the oil change. The sign of a good tune is when laps 1 and 2 feel so good that you can settle down and focus on finding little gains in lap time rather than spending 5 laps trying to figure out how to catch a car to make up for its short comings. This is a great tune! I ran practically on top of my ghost for most of this test period. I wouldn’t change a thing in this tune. 1:46.845 best of ten.

Rojjiee – Camaro ’69 – Awesome tune! It didn’t feel fast at first until I looked up and saw the lap time. It’s a sleeper. By the end of lap 1 I was able to focus on pushing for a fast lap. I drove practically on top of the ghost or just ahead of it on each lap. This tune felt great. The only shortfall of this tune for my driving was the corner speed in the right, right after the 180 degree hairpin – before the tunnel. There was more to have in that section. 1:47.197 best of ten.

Tris_73 – Mach 1 '71 – Tris, very nice tune. I wouldn't change a thing. I think the only reason your car isn't ranked higher is because it's not a Camaro. I loved driving this tune. 1:47.935 best of ten.

Praiano63 – Camaro ’69 – Another good Camaro tune. Tremendous under braking. Good corner entry and zero wheel spin on exit. I did experience a bit of mid-corner push and outside front red tires when pushing the car hard. It felt like I was waiting around for the car to get around the apex before I could begin to ease into acceleration. 1:47.729 best of ten.

Motor City Hamilton – BMW 2002 ’73 - My tune. No need to review. It was built for me. I am wishing now that I had built a Camaro. 1:48.504 best of 10.

ACSR421 - Chevrolet Corvette Convertible ’69 – If I’m honest, I would have liked this tune better had I not driven DigitalBaka’s Corvette tune first. That thing just cornered superbly. ACSR’s tune had better brakes and a better gearbox, though I’m not so sure about making it a 4 speed. The only thing I liked about the 4 speed was that it was more like the real life 1970 Corvette Stingray that I own. I don’t know if this tune could have been faster with a 5 speed, but my gut check says yes? ASCR’s tune had good turn-in and good exit, but the car has some bad habits mid-corner. Something just doesn’t feel quite right, but I can’t put my finger on it. This is a time attack competition, so feel doesn’t mean very much. I did run one lap with ACSR’s tune that was faster than DigitalBaka’s, but I could not duplicate it. 1:48.639 best of 10.

DigitalBaka – Chevrolet Corvette Convertible ’69 – This is one tuner who understands corner balance. Best muscle car that I have driven for consistency all the way through the corner. Great turn-in, holds tough mid-corner and was able to get back to the gas just shortly after apex. No wheel spin, no red tires. This is a great tune and the lap time shows it. Only two small areas where I can see a little time left on the table. First, I would add one more digit of brake bias to the rear. Second is the gearbox. I never hit the rev limiter in 5th and I found 2nd gear a little short. Second sneaks up on you. You spend so little time in 2nd as compared to the rest of the gears that it just threw off my shift rhythm and I’d bounce the rev limiter sometimes. 1:48.776 best of 10.

Jackthalad – Lancia Stratos ’73 – This tune was nimble, but unforgiving. It is a quick car that enjoys a PP advantage in PDs programming. Ten laps are just not enough to learn how to drive around the quirks of this car. Because of this, I found it difficult to get into a rhythm. Good corner entry and good mid-corner handling/speed. Long on the braking zones even compared to the heavier muscle cars in this competition. Fussy on throttle with lots of outside rear tire spin. It was also tricky to control at speed through the switchback sections. 1:49.444 best of ten.

Krenkme – BMW 2002 ’73 – A very consistent tune. I ran 8 of my 10 laps within half a second of each other, but I spun on the other two so I gave this test session an extra two laps to make up for the spins. Great turn in, fantastic around the mid-corner and good under braking. I did have a bit of a loose feeling on corner exit so was being somewhat gentle on throttle in the first couple of laps. Didn’t see any red tires with the loose feel until I really started to push from lap 3 on. I experienced outside wheel spin on the two laps with the spins. Plus, when I was really on it through the switch backs along the waterfront I wanted a bit more stability for the braking zone and downshift to 2nd. The car was pretty easy to drive and a nice ride. A LSD adjustment to reduce the outside wheel spin and the switchback braking stability may help, but I don’t think it would be worth that much on the clock? I thing the real think holding this tune back is the gear settings. I never hit the rev limiter in 5th gear. Just think there is more time to be had there. 1:49.721 best of 10.

Onboy – Mercury Cougar ’67 – One of the best looking cars in this competition. I even built one myself and tested it against the Mustang Shelby GT500 and the BMW that I finally chose. Going in, I was hoping to see this car be in the top three. The tune just didn’t do it for my driving style. A little loose on entry and a bit of mid-corner push that turns the outside front tire red at times. Also not sure you got all you could out of the gearbox. 1:50.396 best of ten.

Nighthauner – Lancia Stratos ’73 – This car had much better braking than the other Stratos entered. The car was good past the apex and through corner exit. Could get on throttle hard and early. I had issues with the car being loose on turn in followed by a mid-corner push. That hurt the lap times and consistency. I have honestly never seen this before in the game, but this car had outside rear red tires on corner entry. 1:50.560 best of ten.

Xdesperado67 – Alpine 1600 S ’73 – I applaud X for choosing such a unique car for this competition. I had fun with this little car, but struggled to run consistent fast, fast laps. Mid-corner and exit were great as I was able to get back to throttle early in the corner. The tough part about this tune for me is how aggressive the car is under braking and at corner entry. I barely had to turn the wheel to get this thing to turn in. On the two super tight hairpins it was an advantage as you could drift it around these and be quick. The gain in these corners was offset in other areas of the track, specifically the three essess type switch backs. For me, this tune did not match my driving style as well as some of the others. 1:51.217 best of 10.

CYKISOS1973 – Chevelle SS ’70 – Wow, a muscle car that actually turns. After the first half a lap I told myself to stop babying this car and to get on it. Good braking, great cornering all the way through; entry, mid-corner and exit. Absolutely zero wheel spin or looseness getting on the power. I do think that this car suffers from the PD PP American car disadvantage. I only had one small problem with this tune. When I really pushed the car hard, I would get a hint of outside front red tire. I actually didn’t notice the red tires on feel as I would usually glance over at that indicator if the car did something weird. In this case, on about lap seven, I noticed five or six black tire patches on the pavement in the left hand sweeper along the waterfront. I’m guessing that the weight of this car may have a bit to do with it? A minor adjustment to cure that outside front red tire may help this tune go faster. 1:51.282 best of 10.

C-Zeta – Lotus Europa Europe – Great turn in and mid-corner ability. Kind of grew on me during the test session. This car is a bit like being with a slutty half ugly girl who tells all of your friends what the two of you did. You enjoyed it, but some things make you cringe. This tune was unstable on corner exit. You can drive it, but you have to use very little steering on the way off the corner. Almost have to unwind the wheel at mid corner to keep it from going sideways on exit. The worst part about this tune was the exchange from 4th to 5th gear. It made me never want to put it in 5th. 1:52.082 best of ten.

Snake55wildcat - Nissan Fairlady 2000 ’71 – You can’t bring a 482PP car to a 500 PP challenge and expect to top the leaderboard. This was one of my favorite tunes through the downhill section prior to the tunnel. It handles low speed corners very well. It also transitions very nicely in the right/left and left/right switchback sections. I had two challenges with this tune. One minor – a very little bit of outside wheel spin on corner exit. One more serious – two red front tires whenever trying to push the car to its limits. This was a fun car at low speeds, but this challenge wasn’t about the Sunday drive – it’s about lap times. 1:52.236 best of ten.

Theo777 – Superbird ’70 – Most stable Superbird that I have ever driven. This was a fun car to drive. Strong, stable braking and could get hard on the throttle on corner exit. Never once hit wheel spin when getting back on the gas and that really surprised me for a Superbird. As much as I like the feel of this car, it just did not translate into fast lap times. First, I think the car suffers from a PP disadvantage thanks to PD programming of American Muscle cars. I thought this would have been a cool car to enter, but my calculations of power to weight and torque to weight at 500 PP ranked it 13th on potential. But beyond the PP penalty, I do think this tune could do one thing better – mid-corner speed. I found myself waiting for the car to rotate around the center before I could get back on throttle and if I pushed a little too hard the outside front tire would turn red. After this competition I would like to go back and try this tune at tracks like Spa, High Speed Ring or Cape Ring. I think it may be fast on a more open track like that, but it suffers a little at Cote d’ Azur. 1:52.806 best of 10.

Last edited:
Tris_73 – Celica 1600 ’70

Mate, the Celica is on share, but next to it is my real entry, the Mach 1. Can I impose on you to have a go with it?

Glad you liked the handling though. I was pretty chuffed by that.

Mate, the Celica is on share, but next to it is my real entry, the Mach 1. Can I impose on you to have a go with it?

Glad you liked the handling though. I was pretty chuffed by that.

Sorry. Yes. I will test your real car. The Celica was fun though. Looking forward to trying the Mach 1.

Rotary Junkie – Camaro ’69 – What can I say? RJ just quietly shows up with the fastest car and puts a hurtin’ on the field. Good balance of oversteer/understeer; right on the razors edge. Best transmission of the group and something I would have never thought to do. It shows me that I have a lot to learn about what the transmission has to offer in speed gains. Even though this was the fastest tune, it still was not my favorite car to drive. It is right on the edge all of the time. I was fast with it, but not comfortable at any time during the ten laps. This was a time attack, but if I were to choose a Camaro tune to be on track with other cars, I’d probably pick Roj’s car and put RJ’s transmission settings on it. 1:46.194 best of ten.

You know, I actually went into this not entirely expecting to do all that well; I didn't build the car for maximum performance under PP restrictions and likely could've gotten a good bit more straight-line speed out of it by going the "proper" route of maximizing used power rather than average power.

On the gearing note: It's something I've been doing for a while, and after doing a decent bit of drag racing I've altered my way slightly to reduce shift lag. Previously, I'd stretch 1st and shorten last as far as possible, then stretch/shorten gears to get a relatively even spread. Now it's mostly the same, except I run 2nd closer to 1st, 3rd closer to 2nd, and so on to eliminate shift lag. My overall view on gearing is that there's no real difference between using 1st-4th or using 2nd-5th around a track, and as long as 1st gear is short enough to accelerate quickly but without drama from about 20mph it'll never actually hurt to not have a shorter gear, thereby allowing me to run tighter ratios while still being able to hit a respectable top speed.

Roj's cars are almost always more forgiving than mine, so I'm not entirely surprised there, and I'd almost agree for race day. Almost. Roj's car and mine (as well as praiano's) can all lay down almost exactly the same numbers, but each shows who tuned it; being that I built mine, I'd be the most comfortable in it rather than the other two, and vice-versa.

Rojjiee – Camaro ’69 – Awesome tune! It didn’t feel fast at first until I looked up and saw the lap time. It’s a sleeper. By the end of lap 1 I was able to focus on pushing for a fast lap. I drove practically on top of the ghost or just ahead of it on each lap. This tune felt great. The only shortfall of this tune for my driving was the corner speed in the right, right after the 180 degree hairpin – before the tunnel. There was more to have in that section. 1:47.197 best of ten.

Yeah that corner got me too. In the end I figured that if I short shifted into 2nd gear and provoked some wheelspin, it would gently slide around those right handers.

MotorCityHami
Xdesperado67 – Alpine 1600 S ’73 – I applaud X for choosing such a unique car for this competition. I had fun with this little car, but struggled to run consistent fast, fast laps. Mid-corner and exit were great as I was able to get back to throttle early in the corner. The tough part about this tune for me is how aggressive the car is under braking and at corner entry. I barely had to turn the wheel to get this thing to turn in. On the two super tight hairpins it was an advantage as you could drift it around these and be quick. The gain in these corners was offset in other areas of the track, specifically the three essess type switch backs. For me, this tune did not match my driving style as well as some of the others. 1:51.217 best of 10.

Yes the car does have a quick rotation and I'm sure the fact that your a wheel driver instead of a DS3 user like me made it worse. Hope that despite the snappyness of the car that you still enjoyed its overall driving feel.:D

FITT pre-1975 Challenge
Praiano63 – Camaro ’69 – Another good Camaro tune. Tremendous under braking. Good corner entry and zero wheel spin on exit. I did experience a bit of mid-corner push and outside front red tires when pushing the car hard. It felt like I was waiting around for the car to get around the apex before I could begin to ease into acceleration. 1:47.729 best of ten.

Thanks for the test, this is the best i can do in a very few time i had to tune it. Moving, no net..... But i'm very happy with my car,all the 3 camaro are very close for sure. I enjoy a lot this track and i hope i can finish my test. For the moment and the few cars i drive , Dylan's lambo was the faster, and The Xdesperado's Alpine the one i enjoy the most to drive. I hope i can begin tonight to test the others , let's se...:)👍
Have a good day.

CYKISOS1973 – Chevelle SS ’70 – Wow, a muscle car that actually turns. After the first half a lap I told myself to stop babying this car and to get on it. Good braking, great cornering all the way through; entry, mid-corner and exit. Absolutely zero wheel spin or looseness getting on the power. I do think that this car suffers from the PD PP American car disadvantage. I only had one small problem with this tune. When I really pushed the car hard, I would get a hint of outside front red tire. I actually didn’t notice the red tires on feel as I would usually glance over at that indicator if the car did something weird. In this case, on about lap seven, I noticed five or six black tire patches on the pavement in the left hand sweeper along the waterfront. I’m guessing that the weight of this car may have a bit to do with it? A minor adjustment to cure that outside front red tire may help this tune go faster. 1:51.282 best of 10.

Thanks for taking the time to drive the car and write up your findings. I have to thank and blame xDesperado in equal measures. I was struggling to get the car to turn in nicely, before I took one of his cars for a spin. After having driven his for a while, I examined his setup and saw that he had, what I considered, a high front spring rate. I started to increase mine and finally the nose started to behave more like I wanted it to.

However, that does mean the car exhibits the problem you highlighted above. I now think that the spring rate is too high for the rest of the wheel alignment and under heavy braking and pushing hard in certain corners it does mean the tyres heat quickly. I found with tyre wear on, that the fronts wore quicker than the rears, which isn't something you'd expect with a car like this. I didn't really leave myself enough time to readjust the front wheel alignment to cope with the stiffer springs.

Glad you enjoyed the ride otherwise... 👍👍

{Cy}

Thanks for taking the time to drive the car and write up your findings. I have to thank and blame xDesperado in equal measures. I was struggling to get the car to turn in nicely, before I took one of his cars for a spin. After having driven his for a while, I examined his setup and saw that he had, what I considered, a high front spring rate. I started to increase mine and finally the nose started to behave more like I wanted it to.

However, that does mean the car exhibits the problem you highlighted above. I now think that the spring rate is too high for the rest of the wheel alignment and under heavy braking and pushing hard in certain corners it does mean the tyres heat quickly. I found with tyre wear on, that the fronts wore quicker than the rears, which isn't something you'd expect with a car like this. I didn't really leave myself enough time to readjust the front wheel alignment to cope with the stiffer springs.

Glad you enjoyed the ride otherwise... 👍👍

{Cy}
It is a question of balancing out the spring rates all around, dampers, camber and sway bars. My "Hellfish" tune I just posted does a better job of it but still isn't perfect. Not sure if you can ever hit the exact mark but with enough fine tuning you can get fairly close. Generally with my tunes I try to get all 4 tires to lose traction at the same time but haven't always been successful with that.:indiff:

It is a question of balancing out the spring rates all around, dampers, camber and sway bars. My "Hellfish" tune I just posted does a better job of it but still isn't perfect. Not sure if you can ever hit the exact mark but with enough fine tuning you can get fairly close. Generally with my tunes I try to get all 4 tires to lose traction at the same time but haven't always been successful with that.:indiff:

Indeed. I had it relatively balanced before I started beefing the front springs up. I should have perhaps slackened off camber and toe to account for the extra stiffness. I think I did adjust the front dampers after I'd adjusted the springs, can't remember though. The car in particular of yours was the Jensen. It does the same thing as my Chevelle, but I can't say that I mind it...

{Cy}

Onboy – Mercury Cougar ’67 – One of the best looking cars in this competition. I even built one myself and tested it against the Mustang Shelby GT500 and the BMW that I finally chose. Going in, I was hoping to see this car be in the top three. The tune just didn’t do it for my driving style. A little loose on entry and a bit of mid-corner push that turns the outside front tire red at times. Also not sure you got all you could out of the gearbox. 1:50.396 best of ten.
1st bit- Good.
2nd bit- Not good. USE DS3!
3rd bit- Meh…bloody car changes characters
4th bit- Good enough considering.

Tris_73 – Celica 1600 ’70 – You can’t enter a 417 PP car into a 500 PP Challenge and expect to rank. The car did handle very, very well, so kudos to the tuner. Great transitioning car and one of my favorites to drive in this competition. There is more to be found in the gearing. This is a good tune, but it is just entered into the wrong competition. This should have been used in a 400 PP challenge. 1:58.028 best of ten.

lulwut? It's a Ford Mustang Mach 1 he entered! The Celica was something entirely separate! :lol:

Thanks for testing Hami 👍. Added a link to your times, but I can't update the leader board. DigitalBaka will have to do that. PM me your top three for drivers choice and the car you'd like for being a tester. :dopey:

Thanks for testing Hami 👍. Added a link to your times, but I can't update the leader board. DigitalBaka will have to do that. PM me your top three for drivers choice and the car you'd like for being a tester. :dopey:

One car left to test as I tested the wrong car for Tris. It was a fantastic ride at that, so I'm glad that I accidentally tested it.

I only get to pick three for drivers choice. But I really liked four tunes, maybe five?

Had to add in a column but I've added Hami's times, save for the mix up with Tris' car. Everyone's posted times are updated except for, ironically, my own. :odd: I ran the other cars but need to find what I did with my time sheet....been a bit under the weather the last couple days so it could be anywhere. :crazy:

Latest Posts

Back