Clueless Tunes - Classic Car Shootout (WE'RE DONE! Thank you all)

• Thread starter krenkme
  • 682 comments
Little early I know, but if the photomode poll results in a tie, what happens? Does everyone get a car or is there a coin toss involved?

VTiRoj
Little early I know, but if the photomode poll results in a tie, what happens? Does everyone get a car or is there a coin toss involved?

Everyone would get a Fiat Panda :dopey:.

No, Everyone would get a car, just to be fair 👍

Looks like I'm join to get through all the cars as a tester.

Roj, could I have a little room on your list for the next couple of days?

Got a few other FR's awaiting acceptance too.

Theo777 – Superbird ’70 – Most stable Superbird that I have ever driven. This was a fun car to drive. Strong, stable braking and could get hard on the throttle on corner exit. Never once hit wheel spin when getting back on the gas and that really surprised me for a Superbird. As much as I like the feel of this car, it just did not translate into fast lap times. First, I think the car suffers from a PP disadvantage thanks to PD programming of American Muscle cars. I thought this would have been a cool car to enter, but my calculations of power to weight and torque to weight at 500 PP ranked it 13th on potential. But beyond the PP penalty, I do think this tune could do one thing better – mid-corner speed. I found myself waiting for the car to rotate around the center before I could get back on throttle and if I pushed a little too hard the outside front tire would turn red. After this competition I would like to go back and try this tune at tracks like Spa, High Speed Ring or Cape Ring. I think it may be fast on a more open track like that, but it suffers a little at Cote d’ Azur. 1:52.806 best of 10.

Good job testing to the actual track markings. I had to redo my first couple of tests due to my blatant corner cutting the chicane so much so that my fastest times were in the 43 second range.

I used my own rule: keep the two left side wheels on the track surface (not the markings) at that chicane. :dopey:

I am still new to this level of tuning and this is exactly the type of feedback I need to improve. You nailed the key tuning points I set out to address on the Superbird for stability, wheel spin during acceleration, and corner exit issues. I also think a little less stability would help improve the cornering and possibly the lap times. Thanks for the review Hami! 👍

Well I do hope everyone is having thus far 👍 Just six more testers (DigitalBaka, Tris, Onboy, DaDag, Jackthalad, and praiano) I do hope it is coming along good :)

As of right now we have a tie in the photo poll (and as much as everyone woul;d love to see me have to hand out two prizes) lets get out and vote HERE

Have a good day everyone :dopey:

My initial tests are done and I will post times tonight some time. If my voice keeps shrinking like it has been today I may stay home from work tomorrow and work on seconds while I rest my throat. :crazy:

Just need Snake55wildcat and RJ to accept my FRs and I may be done after tonight. Tomorrow night more likely though.

Having heaps of fun so far.

So I just counted and it seems that krenkme is going to be sending close to 20 cars out at the end of this shootout. Poor krenkme. I hope you wasn't thinking of doing any trades for the rest of this month. :lol:

So I just counted and it seems that krenkme is going to be sending close to 20 cars out at the end of this shootout. Poor krenkme. I hope you wasn't thinking of doing any trades for the rest of this month. :lol:

:eek::eek: what was I thinking? :banghead::dunce:...:dopey:

No, I don't mind. Some may take longer then others depending on the car and or they want it tuned, but it's worth it. Everyone that is promised and prize will get one... it just may take awhile. :dopey:

Also, the Beat Z is ready, and it works really well in the new seasonal at Tokyo (@444pp). :cheers:

……………

Bugger. Just realised. With CNY around, my mum is off on holiday, not letting me test!! :grumpy::irked: I have a hell of an overtime session of friday…good. :D

So I'll be submitting a bit later.

Edit: I just realised…I don't think I've entered any one of these shootouts without encountering some issue or other when it comes to submitting the results…

Last edited:
Uh oh looks like krenkme is out yet another car...now have a 3 way tie in the photo poll.:odd::lol:

:eek::eek: what was I thinking? :banghead::dunce:...:dopey:

No, I don't mind. Some may take longer then others depending on the car and or they want it tuned, but it's worth it. Everyone that is promised and prize will get one... it just may take awhile. :dopey:

Also, the Beat Z is ready, and it works really well in the new seasonal at Tokyo (@444pp). :cheers:

When the shootout is over lemme know and i'll help with sending the cars ...
just send me a list to send what to who , no worries we'll get it sorted :D

DaDog
When the shootout is over lemme know and i'll help with sending the cars ...
just send me a list to send what to who , no worries we'll get it sorted :D

Thanks, I'll see how bad it gets.

I'm out sorry most of you think I'm an idiot, but I was just trying to make a good shootout, and if that makes me a dumb a**, then he-haw, he-haw :dopey:

I'm out sorry most of you think I'm an idiot, but I was just trying to make a good shootout, and if that makes me a dumb a**, then he-haw, he-haw :dopey:

Krenkme - good shootout. I had fun both as a driver and a tuner. Can't wait to see who wins. Kinda rooting against all of the Camaros just because there are so many at the top. Wish I would have built a fricken Camaro. :ouch: I put one together last night using my tuning thoery and it's right between RJ and Roj on lap times. If I were to put RJ's trans settings on it I think I could jut beat the times I set with his car?

I have a few ideas for future competitions. Should I post them over in the FITT thread?

Motor City Hami
Krenkme - good shootout. I had fun both as a driver and a tuner. Can't wait to see who wins. Kinda rooting against all of the Camaros just because there are so many at the top. Wish I would have built a fricken Camaro. :ouch: I put one together last night using my tuning thoery and it's right between RJ and Roj on lap times. If I were to put RJ's trans settings on it I think I could jut beat the times I set with his car?

I have a few ideas for future competitions. Should I post them over in the FITT thread?

Thank you. I'm glad you had fun, that's what I wanted from this shootout.

Yes, we are always looking for new shootout and event ideas. So head on over to the FITT thread, and tell us what's on your mind 👍

Should do. In fact, if you've built your Camaro more like Roj's (no blower, low weight), it'll probably be faster than mine with my settings put on. Like I said, I built it to lose but now I'm hoping for a win.

Should've stuck to the Super Bee. :lol: 1:46s at BEST.

Should do. In fact, if you've built your Camaro more like Roj's (no blower, low weight), it'll probably be faster than mine with my settings put on. Like I said, I built it to lose but now I'm hoping for a win.

You'd probably get it…remember your previous last minute entry (or was it?) in the FF shootout and how well it did?

Anyway…what was it I wanted to moan about say…? Ah yea, screw my Cougar. That is all.

My Camaro tune is a little more forgiving than yours and a little more agressive than Roj's. I can get through the right, right before the tunnel a little quicker than Roj's. The difference I think is that it's a tune built for my driving style. You're always faster with your own tune than others will potentially be with it.

I really had fun with this competition. I am especially pleased that I chose to drive everyone else's tunes. It was really eye opening. There are a few really elite tuners here.

Thanks, I'll see how bad it gets.

I don't think anyone thinks you're an idiot krenk, we're just having fun counting all the cars you'll be sending out. I think most people would agree that this has been a good shootout so far. 👍

VTiRoj
I don't think anyone thinks you're an idiot krenk, we're just having fun counting all the cars you'll be sending out. I think most people would agree that this has been a good shootout so far. 👍

Yah, i know, I've just been dealing with bad weather and idiots on the road, and I lost it a little. :D

I know it's a lot of cars (getting bigger every day :nervous: ), but it's worth it to me.

:dopey:

Yup. Even though I've been a derpy goof as per the goof patrol etiquette and screwed up…pretty much everything, I have to say, this shootout was one I have been looking forward to for the best part of a month before it was even opened. 👍

Yah, i know, I've just been dealing with bad weather and idiots on the road, and I lost it a little. :D

I know it's a lot of cars (getting bigger every day :nervous: ), but it's worth it to me.

:dopey:

Ah yes, bad weather and idiots on the roads, something the UK has plenty of. I wish my Civic had bull bars for that reason alone. :lol:

Final Times

Thanks to krenkme and all the other tuners and testers. This event has for me been the most fun one so far!.👍👍👍

Format borrowed stolen from MrGrado (again...as well......still :) ).

Times

Ten laps, ABS - 1, Tire Wear - On, Grip Reduction - Real

Rotary Junkie - 1:44.053
Dylans1o - 1:44.364
VTiRoj - 1:44.955
ACSR421 - 1:45.510
tris_73 - 1:45.736
praiano 63 - 1:45.750
Motor City Hami - 1:46.231
DigitalBaka - 1:46.961
Jackthalad - 1:47.077
krenkme - 1:47.165
Onboy123 - 1:47.300
NightHaunter - 1:47.509
CyKosis1973 - 1:48.095
Theo777 - 1:48.283
XDesperado67 - 1:48.474
Snake55wildcat - 1:49.720
C-ZETA - 1:49.899

Drivers Choice

1st - Added after results are posted!
2nd - Added after results are posted!
3rd - Added after results are posted!

Comments

Onboy123 - Mercury Cougar
1:47.300
Nice even tune on this. Fairly easy to get the power down without losing traction and likes going in to corners. Pushes a little in high speed corners (the tunnel).

Jackthalad - Lancia Stratos
1:47.077
A little too eager to slide through corners for my liking, but easy to catch once it starts to slide. Very stable under hard braking.

krenkme - BMW 2002 Turbo
1:47.165
Very nice handling. I was never really worried that something might go wrong, which was good since I had a bit of trouble finding the right gear to be in. There’s a very small useful power band. However when you do find the right gear for a corner, power goes straight into the road. Not into making smoke.

C-ZETA - Lotus Europa
1:49.899
Not nearly as much of the hideous oversteer as I was expecting here, in fact next to none. A really nimble little car. This tune also has great braking, which I suppose is to be expected of a 670kg car. There is something screwy with the transmission though. There’s a large hole between 4th and 5th, which found me staying in 4th for longer than I would have liked, or even avoiding 5th altogether. This meant brief occasions on the limiter when avoiding 5th, and also even worse when changing down out of 5th.

VTiRoj - Chevrolet Camaro Z28 DRIVERS CHOICE 19/01/12
1:44.955
So. In an attempt to earn the competition’s booby prize, Roj has made an effortlessly stonking fast car :odd: . It accelerates, brakes and turns exceptionally, yet still manages to retain the soul of the American muscle car and be heaps of fun.

DigitalBaka - Chevrolet Corvette Convertible
1:46.961
Didn’t really have to think about this. Handles and drives really well. Perhaps a bit ‘meh’ as a result. Sorry DB.

Theo777 - Plymouth Superbird
1:48.283
This car seemed to be disconnected from the road. Rather ‘floaty’ is how I’d describe it. Really started to understeer once the tyres had gone just a little bit, which happened a bit earlier than I would have expected.

Motor City Hami - BMW 2002 Turbo DRIVERS CHOICE 16/01/12
1:46.231
Very stable until the rear tires start going away, and then it’s a bit ‘how’s your father’. Has a bit of a tendency to light the outside rear under acceleration, and does need very accurate inputs, but I like it a lot.

XDesperado67 - Alpine A110
1:48.474
Bit of a handful, but lots of fun. There’s a fair bit of instability under braking, which could go either way (makes the approach to the chicane a bit ‘heart in mouth’). Braking has to be done early; well before even thinking of turning in. Once at the correct speed though, it’s lots of fun to chuck into the corner. Surprisingly easy to power out of a corner though. Only a hint of oversteer.

Rotary Junkie - Chevrolet Camaro Z28
1:44.053
I know there’s more time to be had in this tune (even for me), but I could not for the life of me stop tagging walls here and there. Really does not seem as fast as it is when on the road. This is probably due to the fact that RJ has used only 1st through 4th in the transmission. Obviously works though.

CyKosis1973 - Chevrolet Chevelle SS 454
1:48.095
Odd gearbox. I understand the peak in the centre of the range (I’ve been guilty of this myself), but I just couldn’t for the life of me find a comfortable gear to be in easily. The stopping power is fantastic though.

praiano 63 - Chevrolet Camaro Z28
1:45.750
Again the Wahoo label does not disappoint. A muscle car that handles almost perfectly around the tight, twisty circuit. I am very jealous of the way it can effortlessly slow to just the right speed for a corner.

Dylans1o - Lamborghini Countach LP400 DRIVERS CHOICE 18/01/12
1:44.364
Just grips and grips and grips. Not even hard on the tires while it’s doing it either. Next to no wheel spin (only hard accel out of 1st). I even felt comfortable going through the swimming pool which is usually a bit white knuckle for me. I think I need a cigarette.....

ACSR421 - Chevrolet Corvette Convertible
1:45.510
Very light steering here. Easy to toss into corners without much fear of oversteer. Can’t help but think there might be more to be had from the transmission though

NightHaunter - Lancia Stratos
1:47.509
Oddly dual natured. Understeer under light braking, but mostly oversteer under heavy braking. Both of these however are quite predictable, so once gotten used to can be adapted to. On the plus side, I found it rather easy to apply power after any speed corner. The transmission was also well suited to me and the track.

tris_73 - Ford Mustang Mach 1
1:45.736

Snake55wildcat - Nissan Fairlady 2000
1:49.720
Good transmission and easy to control any wheel spin. Has a tendency to loose traction at the front tires on almost every corner. This necessitated longer braking zones and slower corner speed than I’m sure the car is capable of.

For sure a very good shootout. Congratulations Mr Krenkme :):). Not so good for me because i can't participate the way i would. Move,no time, no net... But i hope my net connection will be OK for this night and then i'll do the test-drive. Even if i spend 12H per day driving till the dead line, i'll do my best .

Have a good day.
.......................................\ \lllll/
.......................................l \ O_o
.......................................l \ /] [\
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ l \____/~~~~~~
><(((((°> °°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°J~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Last edited:
Onboy123
Yup. Even though I've been a derpy goof as per the goof patrol etiquette and screwed up&#133;pretty much everything, I have to say, this shootout was one I have been looking forward to for the best part of a month before it was even opened. 👍

Good and thank you :).

Sorry everyone for my mini brake down. I'll be back to myself once I can get threw Chicago :mad:

Back