• Thread starter Guardian
  • 27 comments

Guardian

(Banned)
Scotland
Scotland
Mazerati-75
I just passed mine yesterday!!! :D :D :D

Anyone else ready to sit theirs, or recently passed?

(I'm so happy!! :P)

I passed my test back in 1998 :)

These days I taxi drive for my missus and child.

Congrats. 👍
Do you own a car already?
In a couple of weeks you can't imagine how you traveled without a car.

Congrats. 👍
Do you own a car already?
In a couple of weeks you can't imagine how you traveled without a car.

I have a Fiesta; but i'm thinking of selling it and buying a Terios. :)

(Yes, Really :D; I love 'em!)

A Terios?!? :boggled:
That's not a cool first car.
Just kidding whatever floats your boat.
Almost anything is better than a Fiat Multipla. :yuck:

A Terios?!? :boggled:
That's not a cool first car.
Just kidding whatever floats your boat.
Almost anything is better than a Fiat Multipla. :yuck:

:lol: Was that your first car?

Congrats, mate. Welcome to the driving life!
Congratulations! :cheers:

Thanks. :)

Planning to take mine next month. :D And what car is that in your avatar? :dopey:

Congratulations! :cheers: Ive still got a few years to wait until I can take mine. :grumpy:

E28
I'd happily take mine now but I'm not old enough either! :lol:

Well, when you get around to it; Good Luck! :)

Congrats! Enjoy your first "incident".

I have no idea what you're talking about. :(
:lol: Kidding; I'll play it VERY safe......for now.:mischievous:;)

My first car was a 1.3 Astra (D plate) and it cost a whopping £1300 a year to insure 3rd party fire and theft for my first year of driving. It looked like the one in the pic below, but add orange go faster stripes and rotting rear wheel arches built up with that much filler one mainly consisted of the stuff.

vauxhall-astra-mk-2-automatic-h-reg-3-door-white-no-Petrol-20111016183833.jpg

My second car wasn't much better, an MG Metro Turbo :) I have a pic of it somewhere that I will dig out, but it looked like the one below:

Metro-Turbo-1.jpg

Except, I hammered out the wheel arches (insides - I was a stupid kid) and fitted Renault 5 Turbo alloys by grinding out the wheel hubs. I was a retard looking back. The other modifications that were made to the car was the engine was given a Weber DCOE40 in place of it's normal SU carb. A custom plenom chamber was built and everything hooked up appropriately, with the addition of a dump valve (The carb mod was inspired by Lotus who did a similar thing with the Esprit if I remember correctly - although mine never really worked properly). Looking back, having the carb under turbo pressure was insane. It also had the back-box removed and replaced with straight through stainless piping. I spent a long time tuning it with a good friend and...

It only ever ran properly twice.

Then due to too much boost, died.

R.I.P.

EDIT: I also splashed out on a brand new MG badge for the grill, which was another stupid, stupid thing to do. Pointless in every way. Forgot to add - I also fitted a 'push to start engine' button, boost gauge and the electric fuel pump had its own start key too! Wrong in every way. I ought to have had fire extinguishers on board. I could write more about it but I'll spare myself the indignity.

Last edited:
I passed mine on the second try, back in 2005. The first time I got a zero score (driving too fast in a school zone)

Passed mine first time in 1999. First car was a Mk1 XR2. God I loved that thing.

No pics any more but it looked like this one.
12388.jpg

Congrats mate,I've Passed mine 3 weeks ago .Sadly I now hate everything about Driving :grumpy: .

Ok Kidding but Honestly you people should feel lucky you live in a country where all drivers aren't 🤬 .

I remember my first drive test. As I turned right instructor told me to pull over, go back in reverse through the intersection and parallel park between two cars. I asked him "You want me to go in reverse through the intersection?", he confirmed (it wasn't a big intersection but still).

I did as he said but didn't park perfectly. He failed me. When I showed up for my second drive test I was told not a single person passed the driving test that day and the instructor was drunk.

Congrats to new license holders. 👍

I got mine 6 months ago at the age of 19 and a wee bit.

In S'pore you can start practical lessons at 18 but I've been swamped with school work so what I did was spam myself with daily lessons during the mid August to early October holidays. I passed 1st time in a manual though with some minor mistakes.

The problem with S'pore is the prices of all cars (and pretty much anything else), I would have to sell my Kidneys, both eyes and 3 limbs to afford even a basic 2 year old Japanese hatchback like a Mitsubishi i. (Decent cars beyond 5 years old are almost impossible to find here and non-existent at 10 years and beyond.)

Thus I enjoy free petrol and no-questions asked access to the family 2008 Mitsu Colt. (Though driving anywhere here is like driving through the heart of a busy city, so I don't really drive.... or leave the house. :))

I've had my licence about ten years or so now, but am still on my learners for motorbikes. :embarrassed:

I sometimes use a motorbike for work (i'm a postie) so i really want to get that yellow learner ('L' plate) off the back of the bike at some stage. :D

Back