Wallbanger's Cafe & Outlaw Motorsports Garage (New Tunes 6/15/12)

Changing an individual gear will change where the shift points will be for the adjoining gears.

Ie. If you make 4th longer 3rd and 5th gear will shrink.

Think about several (6) pieces of string. Lay them down so that the first is on your bottom left, the next is above the first and begins just before the first ends. Where the strings overlap is the shift point/range.
The idea behind a tranny is to make the 'string' longer, or at least "string" them together. If all the pieces are of equal length then the engine will spend equal amounts of time on each piece. If you shorten 4th gear (string) then the gears around it (3rd and 5th) "grow" longer (the overlap is reduced). It is entirety possible to shorten or lengthen an individual gear so that the gears no longer overlap. Thats bad.
Shortening or lengthening a gear changes where it overlaps with the gears next to it. That will shorten or lengthen those gears.

I'll explain it better when you show up on Saturday.

Hi XDesperado, I've been meaning for a while to do a
Cadillac, Cien Concept '02, "Spectre"

...review.

Tested on update 2.07 offline, sixaxis controller, grip reduction real, aids off (except ABS 1)

PARTS ONLY (default settings)
Grand Valley East 58.4
Road Course Indy 1:29.7

At Grand Valley, first impressions were that "parts only" was nicer up until the apex of the hairpin (although it might have been just due to the extra practice, since I tested the Outlaw tune first here), and the Outlaw tune was nicer after this apex. The understeer seems to set in earlier for "parts only", however the outside wheelspin means it can be dialled out with the throttle. The problem is it's not very predictable, so the outside wheelspin is often the cause of unexpected tank-slappers.

Moving to Road Course Indy (sorry XDes I don't like and suck at ovals so I didn't test its proper "home track"), was a slightly different experience. Hustling the Cien around the confines of Indy's infield was like "trying to teach an elephant to tapdance". And practically any steering lock applied when getting back on the throttle resulted in the rear stepping out big-time. Good stability under brakes was the only highlight to this bucking, unpredictable ride.

OUTLAW MOTORSPORTS GARAGE TUNE
Grand Valley East 58.1
Road Course Indy 1:28.4

Damn, this thing is quick! ...and scary! Hyperactive initial steering response and fearsome wheelspin up to 3rd gear meant a lot of off-track excursions at GVE for my first few laps. Delicate throttle control reveals quite a bit of exit understeer, often the limiting factor in how much of the V12 you can use is the front grip rather than traction.

At Grand Valley's kink (just before the 1st hairpin), it takes a while for the chassis to settle before you are able to slam on the brakes, which makes it very easy to overshoot your braking marker. The inside wheel often spins up under power, then once it regains traction there is a drop in revs and unnerving change in balance. Sorry for all the bad news, I didn't like driving this car at all. But gear ratios are excellent and it is fast. Insanely fast. :nervous:

Indy road course was much nicer. The extra turn-in was very useful, as was not living in fear of spinning out every time you reach for the throttle. There was often a mid-corner lurch of understeer, however overall there was much less understeer than "parts only", which is good for both enjoyment and lap time! Also, the Outlaws tune was much more adjustable through low- and mid-speed corners.

In conclusion, if the Cien is taken outside of its natural habitat, it is a nasty creature. However, back home at Indy, it can be thrown around thanks to surprisingly forgiving handling for something this astonishingly fast.

@Nomis thanks for the review of the "Spectre". I love the car and when I'm in the mood it can be a lot of fun. That being said it tends to be more the semi-guided missile type of thing and if your not into driving something that rides the limits of control then it's probably not going to be an enjoyable car for you.:crazy::lol:

You're welcome XDes. Haha, "semi-guided missile" :cheers:

-----------
Hi Onboy, as a byproduct of trying to create freak weather events, I've done a

Holden Commodore GTO 500

...review.

Tested on update 2.07 offline, sixaxis controller, grip reduction real, aids off (except ABS 1). The first test was Grand Valley East with the Outlaw tune, aside from that it was tested in the order below.

PARTS ONLY (default settings)
Grand Valley East 1:08.6
Trial Mountain 1:34.5

Compared with the Outlaws tune, it felt a bit less forgiving and the outside wheel spinning hurt it out of slow corners. Good balance, decent agility and very stable under brakes.

With no Bathurst track in GT5, the next best thing was another mountain: Trial. After the apex, the handling was great. But before this, I was often waiting for the front end to bite. Gearing and braking were both good. Overall, a very good effort for a big, heavy Aussie "muscle sedan".

OUTLAW MOTORSPORTS GARAGE TUNE
Grand Valley East 1:08.4
Trial Mountain 1:34.2

By the end of the first lap, the GTO and I were already best mates. Wonderfully balanced and predictable, especially post-apex. Sometimes it spins the outside wheel, but the throttle steerability is excellent so it isn't a problem. Very stable under brakes. Suspension is soft-ish causing occasional lurching in corners but it is also very complaint and forgiving.

At Trial Mountain, it was faster, but hard work. The suspension got all jiggly over the bumpy surface and it seemed like small mistakes had much bigger consequences. Like at Cote d'Azur (where I put in a couple of sneaky laps), the slowest of corners were not suited to the spacing of 1st and 2nd gears. On the plus side, traction was improved and the understeer was less frequent than the "parts only" tune. Also, it has excellent "flow" from braking to turn-in to apex.

At 500pp, the Commodore is great fun to chuck around. If you're going to a smooth track, then use the Outlaws tune because it's even funner.

Thanks Nomis, it's been ages since I properly had a poke around with that thing, so I'm glad it still delivers…somewhat, anyways. :lol: I'm surprised it got that hard to handle on Trial Mountain, given that I tune my cars there unless they're for a different purpose. I'll have to have a look at it soon and update it, it seems.

So my brother bought an older Volvo last weekend but left his '96 ('97? '98?) MR2 at work. So instead of getting to play (:cough: hang out with) Harvey I had to go with him to drive the MR2 home. On the way he hands me the key and says, "Here you go. Enjoy. It's yours now."
Helllloooooo project car!
I was sideways before I was out of the parking lot. Dang @#$%& clutch sticks as does the gas pedal. It needs alot of work, but oh boy, when its done.
Time to give my virtual "Emmy-too" to GT auto and then practice, practice...

Anyone know how to repair a head gasket thats about to go? Can't drive the real thing till it's fixed. Its got a rebuilt engine, less than 4k miles. Should be cost effective.

(Harvey, if this is in the wrong thread I won't clutter this one again.)

The Outlaw Motorsports Garage tunes
Toyota Celica GT-FOUR (ST205) '98, "N400 Edition"
Tuned for Jackthalad's 500PP Nordschliefe Shootout.
Ol'Harvey Wallbanger was rather under the weather while testing and tuning for this event but still managed to coax a fair amount of performance out of this machine especially when it comes to acceleration.
Special_2520Stage_2520Route_2520X.jpg

Special_2520Stage_2520Route_2520X-1.jpg

Source and Parts list:
Buy from: Used Car Dealership
Paintjob: Blue Mica Metallic
Wheels: ADVAN RGII (Chrome finish)
Aerodynamic Kit: None
Weight Reduction: Stage 3
Window Weight Reduction: Yes
Carbon Hood: No
Chassis reinforcement: No
ECU Tuning: Yes
Engine Tuning: Stage 3
Intake Manifold: Sports
Air Filter: Racing
Exhaust Manifold: Sports
Catalytic Converter: Sports
Exhaust: Titanium Racing
Turbo Kit: None
Transmission: Fully Customizable
Clutch: Twin-Plate
Flywheel: Semi-Racing
LSD: Adjustable
Center Differential: Torque Sensing
Drive Shaft: Carbon
Suspension: Fully Customizable Kit
Tires: Sports Hard

The Tune
Aerodynamics: -
Ballast: 57kg at +50
Power Limiter: 96%
Transmission - process as follows;
1) Set to default
2) Set Final Gear to 5.500
3) Set Top Speed to 112mph
4) Set gears as follows;
1st=3.515,
2nd=2.560,
3rd=1.930,
4th=1.510,
5th=1.235,
6th=1.010
5) Set Final gear to 3.347
Should display an indicated top speed of 185mph in upper right corner.
LSD Front Initial 10, Acceleration 15, Braking 30
LSD Rear Initial 10, Acceleration 20, Braking 60
Torque Sensing Center Differential Front 50, Rear 50
Suspension
Camber Angle Front 3.0, Rear 2.0
Toe Angle Front -0.20, Rear 0.00
Ride Height Front 0, Rear -25
Spring Rate Front 11.0, Rear 14.0
Dampers (Extension) Front 1, Rear 3
Dampers (Compression) Front 3, Rear 5
Anti-Roll Bars Front 1, Rear 7
Brakes Front 0, Rear 6

The car has 500PP, weighs 1,214Kg with a 57/43 front/rear weight distribution, has 400HP and produces 322ft-lb torque@4,900rpm with a 8,400rpm redline.

Notes:

Enjoy the ride and as Harvey Wallbanger always says...
Drive hard and have fun!:cheers::gtpflag:

Reviews and/or additional photos

Wahay a tune!!!!
Been sick and haven't gotten most of the stuff I was supposed to be doing around GTP done the this last week.:ill: The "N400 Edition" Was a bit of a rush job to meet a deadline and as I'm still a bit under the weather isn't fine tuned to the point I'd like it to be. Should perform okay though in the recent 4wd seasonal races although you'll want to adjust the final gear for the La Sarthe race as it's liable to bounce off the rev limiter with the current final.:drool:

Hope it wasn't my cooking. Get well soon.
Nope felt fine after leaving your place.
Unfortunately woke up the next day with some sort of summer cold/flu bug that's still not completely gone.:ill: No energy and my concentration is shot making it nearly impossible to drive and tune in GT5. Tried working on a couple cars but my control was horrible. Sucks when you've been turning laps at a certain pace and then without any changes made to the car your 4 or 5 seconds off that pace due to not being able to focus and control the inputs properly.:drool:

Toyota Sprinter Trueno GT-APEX '83, "Sunshine Express"
When s2k2k3 announced that he was sponsoring a Shootout to find the fastest 450PP Toyota 86 around Ol'Harvey Wallbanger got excited. But then after reading through the rules twice he noticed a small problem...the list of eligible cars for the Shootout seemed to have forgotten the original 86s. I mean really now your having an 86 Shootout and a Scion FR-S is eligible but those old school Levins and Sprinter Truenos aren't? Well after a quick word with s2k2k3 Ol'Harvey was given the green light to go ahead and enter one of his classic 86s in the event although it wouldn't be an "official" contestant for the major prizes. Now a few months back the Wallbanger had done up a special tune of the Sprinter Trueno as part of the Car of the Week series. Using the "Keiichi Tsuchiya Version" as a starting point Ol'Harvey got busy. First the wing got removed then a bit of ballast was added in to improve the weight distribution. Finally a touch of restriction on the fuel delivery enabled the car to hit the 450PP mark with most of its power intact. Now Nurburgrings GP/D course had been selected as the the test track for this Shootout which suited both the Wallbanger and his classic 86 just fine with its combination of tight low speed corners and faster flowing curves. It quickly became apparent that while the car was very fun to drive and looked capable of giving its more modern descendants a run for their money, the skinny little 30 year old tires were going to prove to be the limiting factor on its performance. Well after countless hours spent fine tuning the suspension and drive train Ol'Harvey has given the car a fresh coat of Pearl Yellow paint and declared the "Sunshine Express" ready to roll. Treated with care the car is capable of some pretty impressive times, give it a bit to much of anything and its more playful side appears as the car looks to happily drift the entire course. It might not be the fastest 450PP 86 around but the "Sunshine Express" should prove to be one of the most entertaining and enjoyable so get yours now.
D-3.jpg

D-1-2.jpg

Source and Parts list:
Paintjob: Pearl Yellow (Paint by Lexus)
Wheels: Enkei JS+M (Painted Pearl Yellow by Lexus)
Weight Reduction: Stage 3
Window Weight Reduction: Eyes
Engine Tuning: Stage 3
Intake Manifold: Sports
Exhaust Manifold: Sports
Catalytic Converter: Sports
Exhaust: Titanium Racing
Turbo Kit: High RPM Range
Center Differential: -
Drive Shaft: Carbon
Suspension: Fully Customizable Kit
Tires: Sports Hard

The Tune
Ballast: 160kg at +50
Power Limiter: 98.7%
1) Set to default
2) Set Final Gear to 5.500
3) Set Top Speed to 112mph
4) Set gears as follows;
1st=2.820,
2nd=2.150,
3rd=1.700,
4th=1.390,
5th=1.150,
6th=.980
5) Set Final gear to 4.200
Should display an indicated top speed of 141mph in upper right corner.
LSD Rear Initial 15, Acceleration 10, Braking 50
Suspension
Camber Angle Front 2.8, Rear 3.2
Toe Angle Front 0.00, Rear 0.20
Ride Height Front -25, Rear -5
Spring Rate Front 13.2, Rear 10.4
Dampers (Extension) Front 2, Rear 2
Dampers (Compression) Front 4, Rear 6
Anti-Roll Bars Front 1, Rear 2
Brakes Front 1, Rear 7

The car has 450PP, weighs 996Kg with a 50/50 front/rear weight distribution, has 266HP and produces 194ft-lb torque@6,900rpm with a 8,400rpm redline.

Notes: This car is nearly perfect for driving with an automatic transmission and using a manual transmission is likely to only produce marginally better times.

Note 2: For hot lapping all control inputs need to be as gentle and smooth as possible. Snapping the wheel around or mashing the throttle is likely to unleash the drifter in this machine, lots of fun and easy to handle but not great for lap times.:lol:

Toyota Celica GT-FOUR (ST205) '98, "N400 Edition"
LSD Front Initial 10, Acceleration 15, Braking 30
LSD Rear Initial 10, Acceleration 20, Braking 60
Torque Sensing Center Differential Front 50, Rear 50

Spring Rate Front 11.0, Rear 14.0
Dampers (Extension) Front 1, Rear 3
Dampers (Compression) Front 3, Rear 5

That's all a bit... Odd, really.

Like... Left-field odd.

That's all a bit... Odd, really.

Like... Left-field odd.
Have you driven it?:odd:
I'm not satisfied with the tune but between being sick and other things I ran out of time to fine tune it before the Shootout deadline. It's not bad I don't think just needs a bit more tweaking to get it how I'd really like it. I consider this more of a rough tune that gets it in the neighborhood of how I want. When I'm feeling better and have more time and energy I'll fine tune it.:crazy:

Special
Prize
giveaway!​
Daihatsu Cuore/Mira TR-XX Avanzato R '97, "Pocket Monster ET Edition"
Was surprised not to see a few examples of his favorite car near the top of the Leader Boards in the current Kei Car Time Trials so Ol'Harvey Wallbanger decided to see if there was a reason for its apparent absence. Well after posting a time that was good enough for 971st on the boards despite his relative lack of high level driving skills the Wallbanger can only guess that its absence is due more to a lack of awareness of these little beasts than their lack of performance. So the Wallbanger decided to offer this tune to the community along with a challenge. Anyone who can get one of these cars with this tune or their own tune in the top 100 of the TT will receive their choice of tradeable cars up to 1,000,000 credits. If someone can manage a top ten with the car Ol'Harvey will give an additional 1,000,000 Cr in tradeable cars plus 10 random gears and 5 paints!:gtpflag:
Eiger_2520Nordwand_2520Short_2520Track.jpg

Eiger_2520Nordwand_2520Short_2520Track-1.jpg

Source and Parts list:
Paintjob: Puro White (Stock paint)
Wheels: Advan RGII (Stock Chrome 3 finish)
Weight Reduction: None
Window Weight Reduction: No
Engine Tuning: None
Intake Manifold: Stock
Exhaust Manifold: Stock
Catalytic Converter: Stock
Exhaust: Stock
Turbo Kit: High RPM Range
Suspension: Fully Customizable
Tires: Comfort Medium

The Tune
Ballast: 200kg at +37
Power Limiter: 75.1%
1) Set to default
2) Set Final Gear to 6.000
3) Set Top Speed to 87mph
4) Set gears as follows;
1st=2.368,
2nd=2.213,
3rd=1.615,
4th=1.240,
5th=1.002
5) Set Final gear to 4.800
Should display an indicated top speed of 102mph in upper right corner.
LSD Front Initial 15, Acceleration 15, Braking 30
Suspension
Camber Angle Front 3.6, Rear 1.8
Toe Angle Front 0.00, Rear 0.00
Spring Rate Front 14.6, Rear 14.6
Dampers (Extension) Front 2, Rear 2
Dampers (Compression) Front 4, Rear 6
Brakes Front 0, Rear 6

The car has 350PP,weighs 900Kg with a 53/47 front/rear weight distribution, has 109HP and produces 115ft-lb torque@4,700 rpm with a 8,200rpm redline.

Notes: Drives very well using an automatic transmission (this is how Ol'Harvey Wallbanger drives it) Using a manual transmission might see a slight increase in performance.

Note 2: The car will be on share. If anyone is interested in trying it out send me an FR same user ID both places.👍👍

Last edited:
So many cars, so little time.

I'll have to see how it handles the TT before I go back to the FF Shootout.

Well, I must say I failed the challenge. I was pretty far away from the top 100... But it ain't the car's fault, don't worry.
Came in at 1602 last time I checked. Meh. :P
Out of curiosity what sort of times were you guys getting?
I was in the high 1:26s when I posted the tune. Left plenty of time on the track and the tune itself could probably use a little more tweaking for individual drivers styles...:drool:

Out of curiosity what sort of times were you guys getting?
I was in the high 1:26s when I posted the tune. Left plenty of time on the track and the tune itself could probably use a little more tweaking for individual drivers styles...:drool:

I'm getting around 1.28s. Those Beat's are fast as hell, but then again, they're MR...

I'm getting around 1.28s. Those Beat's are fast as hell, but then again, they're MR...
Find this situation very odd. Around a year and a half ago PD had a 420PP Kei car seasonal. That was when I first encountered the Cuore/Mira as it was totally dominating the seasonal. Since then I've tested it at a wide range of PP and events and its always been one of the top Kei cars. Now for this TT I expected to see it up in the leader boards but instead see the OFC leading the Daihatsu charge which is very odd as it is one of the slowest and worst handling of the Daihatsus. Generally my experience has been that depending on track selection and the tune the Copens and the Cuore/Mira are the top Kei cars with the Beat, Autozam and Cervo being just a tick slower. Might just be my prejudice but I can't understand why the OFC is making a better showing here...:odd:

Back