◆ SNAIL [Spec] Racing - Currently Recruiting for GT7 - JOIN TODAY!!Open 

• Thread starter zer05ive
  • 149,531 comments
Devil's advocate time.
I think dgaf showed a marked improvement in racecraft last night. While it may not be perfect he raced much cleaner and was more concious of other racers. Keep it up dgaf and remember, if you can't pass clean don't pass.

I just think it's a little unfair that people can lose so many points for what really isn't their fault, and it affects certain people more than others, which really makes it unfair. I don't really see what you can do about it other than somehow fudge the points so when people get disconnected, they still get what they should have gotten. I don't really know how you would do that without being either really complicated or just somewhat unfair. I was thinking about some kind of average position when someone gets disconnected during a race, but that wouldn't really work.

I would still like to know what my points would have been if I had finished last in the last race. I don't really see what difference it makes whether I was on track or not as I was clearly ready to race. It's not as if I blew off the night, which is the only reason I can think of to not give any points for a race.
Thanks! :)

You should of gotten 6 points for finishing last place.
This is how the "New" point system works *thumbs up*

Honestly I think dg is a good driver, I've never had indecent with him and our battles are always pretty clean and competitive. I never saw anything but it probably is just that you need to work on patience with the slower drivers. Save your tires for when you're out front with moi an I. :lol:

You should of gotten 6 points for finishing last place.
This is how the "New" point system works *thumbs up*

You only get the points if you start the race, not if you were "supposed" to be there. dylan disconnected before the race started. (Admittedly, the difference is sketchy.)

dylan: The best answer is to improve your internet situation. Wire up if you're wireless. Open ports or set up a DMZ. Spend a few bucks to improve your connection speeds. Switch ISPs if the one you have bites. Etc.

…over the last several years I've gone through all of that but the wiring up to get a halfway stable connection.

You only get the points if you start the race, not if you were "supposed" to be there. dylan disconnected before the race started. (Admittedly, the difference is sketchy.)
I honestly don't see how there's a difference at all considering it's random chance whether I get disconnected a few seconds before the race starts or a few seconds after.
dylan: The best answer is to improve your internet situation. Wire up if you're wireless. Open ports or set up a DMZ. Spend a few bucks to improve your connection speeds. Switch ISPs if the one you have bites. Etc.
I've done just about all I can to get my connection up to speed besides getting an entirely new provider, and there are no better providers here until Verizon decides to start selling Fios here.

The only thing left which might have an effect is changing my DNS servers but I won't know which ones are reliable unless I specifically test them at the times I plan on using them. So I'll switch them for next Sunday but I have no idea if it will make things better or worse.

I use the Google DNS servers and noticed web pages loading maybe a half to full second faster. I'm not sure how it would effect GT5 but it's worth a shot.

Here are the addressed for their servers: 8.8.8.8 & 8.8.4.4

I honestly don't see how there's a difference at all considering it's random chance whether I get disconnected a few seconds before the race starts or a few seconds after.

Think of it like this. Network connections are mechanical failures. If your car fails to make the start, you get a DNS and no points. If you have a failure and have to retire, then you get a DNF, and some points.

We had a driver that got a black screen on the start. He finally was able to drive, but only after all the other cars were moving. It does happen in racing, when a driver stalls the car, or it has a problem.

It sucks, I know, but... in a way, it is realistic.

…over the last several years I've gone through all of that but the wiring up to get a halfway stable connection.

Oh ok, i thought he had started the race, sorry.
Yes from what i recall, if the count down timer starts, and you get Disco'd, you still get points? But if you Disco with like 10 seconds until the Count down timer is suppose to start, you dont get anything, which is how it should be (and is i think).

Well great, now I don't get any prize, thanks to all the issues for the last race. Just curious, how many points would I have had if I had gotten points for last place in the last race?

Also, just a reminder that I never got Prize C from last week (Level 24 Ticket).

So let me get this right. You still won your division without points for the last race due to your connection problem, but your upset because you don't qualify for a prize?

If that's correct, feel free to select the car/track combo you'd like for next week, on behalf of me :)

Did he mention he one lapped pole too? I gave him a chance to run a hot lap after he dc'd in the room between rounds 2 and 3. So that one hot lap, and he pulled pole.

So let me get this right. You still won your division without points for the last race due to your connection problem, but your upset because you don't qualify for a prize?
Well I was kind of hoping to, and I think I had a good chance to if I hadn't had connection issues, but I don't expect anyone to let me have what isn't rightfully mine. I was just frustrated.
If that's correct, feel free to select the car/track combo you'd like for next week, on behalf of me :)
I appreciate the offer but I'd feel much better about it if I earned it myself without any giveaways. I don't have anything particularly in mind anyway so it doesn't really matter. Again, it was just something I was hoping for.

Oh dang, I forgot all about it. :(

Well, I'm working on other stuff right now. I suppose I've missed this one.

I use the Google DNS servers and noticed web pages loading maybe a half to full second faster. I'm not sure how it would effect GT5 but it's worth a shot.

Here are the addressed for their servers: 8.8.8.8 & 8.8.4.4

Yes. Whether or not it fixes your problem, these DNS servers are almost always an improvement over your ISP.

I would like to participate with you guys... so I'll be waiting for you...

Hey Rainmakesars,

Good stuff, glad to have you. One question though, we race at 10:00 P.M. Eastern Time. I'm not sure what time zone Venezuela is in, but can you make the races Sunday night? If that's not an issue, please read the following instructions 👍

We run a clean league by enforcing the S.N.A.I.L. OLR and we expect all of our drivers to know and follow The Good Racecraft Guide. Please become versed in both.

You'll be added to the drivers list as a New S.N.A.I.L. When you run the Time Trial and Private Message my GTPlanet account with your time, you'll be moved to the appropriate Division List. We do this to make sure everyone gets involved in some close, clean racing.

Shortly after that, a PSN friend request will be sent to you from the SNAIL_Division1, 2, 3 or 4 account for the Division you will be placed in. That lounge is where you will race on Sunday night.

The original post has a lot of information regarding the league, commit it to memory ;)

The second post has the current race lineup and is updated weekly.

If you have a preference for car/wheel colour and racing number, post your choices in this thread. To avoid duplication, the currently claimed combinations can be found here.

During the week we run a number of different events feel free to jump in and partake!

Welcome aboard and enjoy :)

Can I make a selection now, or do I need to wait for the official results?

We've still got 30 minutes for complaints to come in. If there are none against you you could probably post it. I'll keep you updated.

Hey Rainmakesars,

Good stuff, glad to have you. One question though, we race at 10:00 P.M. Eastern Time. I'm not sure what time zone Venezuela is in, but can you make the races Sunday night? If that's not an issue, please read the following instructions 👍

We run a clean league by enforcing the S.N.A.I.L. OLR and we expect all of our drivers to know and follow The Good Racecraft Guide. Please become versed in both.

You'll be added to the drivers list as a New S.N.A.I.L. When you run the Time Trial and Private Message my GTPlanet account with your time, you'll be moved to the appropriate Division List. We do this to make sure everyone gets involved in some close, clean racing.

Shortly after that, a PSN friend request will be sent to you from the SNAIL_Division1, 2, 3 or 4 account for the Division you will be placed in. That lounge is where you will race on Sunday night.

The original post has a lot of information regarding the league, commit it to memory ;)

The second post has the current race lineup and is updated weekly.

If you have a preference for car/wheel colour and racing number, post your choices in this thread. To avoid duplication, the currently claimed combinations can be found here.

During the week we run a number of different events feel free to jump in and partake!

Welcome aboard and enjoy :)

Thanks, Well, there is not much difference between hours, so 10:Pm is perfect... I'll Run the time trial...

My favorite colour would be Car: Silver/ Rims: Black/ and Number: 7

And I was reading the rules they are massive, but I'm trying to learn them as fast as posible, to be a good driver...

The window for protest is closed and there have been a few made. Fortunately, not nearly as many as last week.

Also fortunately, none of the prize getters brought questionable driving to the races last night. Therefore, I can make the results official early this week.

RIP_Welsh_Don from Division 1 took home Prize A with 87 points.

Millerhd from Division 4 will take Prize B with 94 points.

moi_2212 took Prize C with his 86 point Division 3 finish.

Congratulations, guys. Well done. I believe you can make your prize selections now. zer0 will discipline me if I'm wrong.

Finally, please note that some of the other standings and point totals may change during the steward review process. That will be noted in another post after the process is finished (hopefully in about 23-1/2 hours).

Thanks!

Well I was kind of hoping to, and I think I had a good chance to if I hadn't had connection issues, but I don't expect anyone to let me have what isn't rightfully mine. I was just frustrated.
I appreciate the offer but I'd feel much better about it if I earned it myself without any giveaways. I don't have anything particularly in mind anyway so it doesn't really matter. Again, it was just something I was hoping for.

Welsh Don, it was really cool of you to offer your Prize A to dylan 👍

dylan, if it makes you feel any better, you probably wouldn't have qualified for Prize A or Prize B even if you had been able to participate in that last race. Let me explain..

In Round 2, you won pole and then got 1st place in the first race. In the Reverse Grid race, you were able to fight your way up to 4th place.

In Round 3, you had the exact same start to the round. In other words, you won pole and then got 1st place in the first race. Based on that identical start to the round, it's possible to make an educated guess that you'd once again be able to work your way up to 4th in the Reverse Grid race. If that had happened, you would have earned an additional 13 points to add to your tally. Your current total of 73 would therefore become 86 points.

Unfortunately, 86 points is still well behind MillerHD's 94 points and Welsh_Don's 87 points. Therefore, you still wouldn't have received Prize A or Prize B. Even if you had been able to improve to 3rd in that last race, you would have only tied Welsh Don's 87 points. However, Welsh Don would have gotten the tie breaker since he was in a higher division. In a nutshell, the only way you would have been able to get Prize A or Prize B would have been if you had finished 1st or 2nd in the last race (not impossible, but definitely not a gimme).

Anyways, just thought I'd break it down for you and anyone else who is curious (or confused) about how we award our prizes. Bottom line is don't be too upset about it. You'll destined to get a prize very soon and it'll just be that much sweeter when it actually does happen. ;)

Welsh Don, it was really cool of you to offer your Prize A to dylan 👍

dylan, if it makes you feel any better, you probably wouldn't have qualified for Prize A or Prize B even if you had been able to participate in that last race. Let me explain..

In Round 2, you won pole and then got 1st place in the first race. In the Reverse Grid race, you were able to fight your way up to 4th place.

In Round 3, you had the exact same start to the round. In other words, you won pole and then got 1st place in the first race. Based on that identical start to the round, it's possible to make an educated guess that you'd once again be able to work your way up to 4th in the Reverse Grid race. If that had happened, you would have earned an additional 13 points to add to your tally. Your current total of 73 would therefore become 86 points.

Unfortunately, 86 points is still well behind MillerHD's 94 points and Welsh_Don's 87 points. Therefore, you still wouldn't have received Prize A or Prize B. Even if you had been able to improve to 3rd in that last race, you would have only tied Welsh Don's 87 points. However, Welsh Don would have gotten the tie breaker since he was in a higher division. In a nutshell, the only way you would have been able to get Prize A or Prize B would have been if you had finished 1st or 2nd in the last race (not impossible, but definitely not a gimme).

Anyways, just thought I'd break it down for you and anyone else who is curious (or confused) about how we award our prizes. Bottom line is don't be too upset about it. You'll destined to get a prize very soon and it'll just be that much sweeter when it actually does happen. ;)
You're right of course, and I shouldn't really care so much. However I think there was a chance that I would have gotten pole if I hadn't gotten disconnected before the first race. Really only I can deal with that though by trying to fix my connection. I'll try google's servers and see if they're more reliable, though since they're farther they might not be as quick. Or something. I don't really know how that works.

Enough of my complaining, I always have next week to look forward too, and I'm sure Welsh and Miller will pick some good combos for us. :)

Back