◆ SNAIL [Spec] Racing - Currently Recruiting for GT7 - JOIN TODAY!!Open 

• Thread starter zer05ive
  • 149,531 comments
For the last 3 weeks there has been no Monday night mayhem. I'll be in division 3's lounge around 6:45/9:45. Anyone interested post a message here. Tonights racing is all for fun & we'll be playing Cat & Mouse along with a few other dirty racing games. For anyone who has never played Cat & Mouse it's a Team racing game. Teams of 3 or 4. Every team has a slow car (mouse) & multiple fast cars (cats). The goal is for your teams mouse to beat the other teams mouse to the finishline. The only rule is you cant crash the last place mouse. It's alot of fun hope 2 see u guys there. Show up 10 minutes early if u can. However Everyone is welcome anytime 2nite

Edit: Nice vid Doc! But is that a 24 I see on the side of that car? :lol:

Ha! I didn't think anyone would notice that :) The replay is from several months before I joined SNAIL. I used 24 before joining SNAIL (and in basketball/baseball as a kid), but it was already in use here, so I decided to switch up the numbers and go with "the answer" since then.

And it would absolutely HAVE to start at dawn. The 'ring at dawn is possibly the most beautiful thing in GT5.

Ideal situation might be a simulated 24 hours with time compressed to run a full day-night-day cycle through whatever length of time we plan to be there. The sun rising and setting over the trees and the different views you get with the shadows is really something else. That is one thing that PD captured scarily well.

(Edit: The only problem with that idea is that you'd have a scant couple of minutes of dawn and dusk. ;))

Don't we swap tracks to clear the timing sheet for qualifying? Seems that once you change, you clear. But manual entry would work :D

Err...yeah. Good point. Qualifying on the GP then manually setting up for the race would work nicely.

[rant, etc.]

Seems like an odd place to post that, Schmiggz. It's likely only to alienate you.

Last edited:
Ha! I didn't think anyone would notice that :) The replay is from several months before I joined SNAIL. I used 24 before joining SNAIL (and in basketball/baseball as a kid), but it was already in use here, so I decided to switch up the numbers and go with "the answer" since then.

👍 Douglas Adams 👍

As an aside, if you guys like my pics (see album in sig), I'd like to be D3 photographer. BUT I will miss the whole month of September. I'll happily keep going at it in October :)

Ideal situation might be a simulated 24 hours with time compressed to run a full day-night-day cycle through whatever length of time we plan to be there. The sun rising and setting over the trees and the different views you get with the shadows is really something else. That is one thing that PD captured scarily well.

Very good point. That includes not just dawn but dusk, which is pretty nice-looking in it's own right.

As an aside, if you guys like my pics (see album in sig), I'd like to be D3 photographer. BUT I will miss the whole month of September. I'll happily keep going at it in October :)

I think your shots have been great, pilmat. I'd love to see you keep doing them whenever you're around to get the replays!

Very good point. That includes not just dawn but sunset, which is pretty nice-looking in it's own right.

Exactly.

Maybe someday if this becomes a "thing" we could even run an occasional race with race cars and the potential for "weather." I love the strategy of deciding what to do with your tires.

I have a question about Promotion and Relegation. The initial post says

"The fastest drivers in each division are promoted to the next higher division the following month. On the other hand, the slowest drivers in each division are relegated to a lower division."

What happens if you are the slowest person in the division and have raced every week. Does the mean you will be relegated instead of a driver who has not raced at all that month?

Also is the slowest decided based on total points or average per race night?

One last thing. Since promotion/relegation is only happening every month now does it make any sense to promote the top 3 and relegate the bottom 3?

No, if someone hasnt raced at all, then they will not be eligible for promo/regulation. I'm pretty certain that you need to race no less then three sundays to be eligible for either.

Now for the rally talk from earlier. I actually looked into the whole rally thing pretty in depth. And here is what I came up with:
Magic Lap: That format is about the only realistic way you can run a staged rally set up (staged rally is what you would normally see in the WRC or Rally America, basically a time trial.) Unfortunately this format has some`hiccups to work out.
What I call RallyX: This is the format I was considering running. Its ran much like he rally even like you see in the xgames and the newly formed Global Rallycross. I planned on running two classes of 4 cars, with a total of 8 racers on course, on custom courses as well as Eiger, and perhaps Nurburgring for a tarmac stage. The Custom courses are at least 4.8 miles long and 2 laps. I had an open class for true WRC cars and a 450 class. I also considered other possible pp and drivetrain restrictions. Anyway. I figured this would proved a, the most fun, since 4 cars in a rally race is a lot of fun! B, it wouldnt be so many people that corners just become a huge mob of wreckage. after the first corner, the two groups should be separating. C, well, someones damn bunnies took off with that thought, so till I see him on the course, I probably wont remember it.
But, take it as a base and build off it. I actually have a more in depth thought out process for this if your interested, I could type up a quick draft when I get some free time, for your use. Whom ever you were that started the chat. Oh, C. I got that damn bunny! I tested the times between an untuned wrc subie, not sure which, then I did a subie tuned at 450, and I believe a focus or a 206 tuned to 400, and something that was ff and really small for 350. open to 400 can finish 10 miles within the time limit. 350 could not. this was tested on a custom track I built for this idea league.

I think the "Parity Hot Lap" looks like an interesting combination of the Magic Lap and clean racing across divisions in...

... Umm....

A long while!

(cue up Richard Hammond Smile of pretended non-snarkiness!)

(cue up Richard Hammond Smile of pretended non-snarkiness!)

l.jpg

Is this the one you mean?

And the Brits call it "cheeky," I'm told :dopey:

I couldn't avoid a really loud laugh when i read tezgm99's complaint.
First of all, i have to recognize that yesterday's races where a little too tough because competition is building up and obviously because none of us are professional race drivers so i believe that anyone using a head set heard awfully often somebody apologizing someone else for a bump, a slide into or a late break. I had my share as i believe everyone else had they're share including tezgm99.
The thing is that out of all the little mishaps that tez probably had during the course of the 6 races, he decided to file a formal complaint regarding this particular one making me believe that the only concern that bothers him is the fact that i took his lead position in division 4's table.
I'm a pretty fair person that fully respects the rules of this competition therefore i will respectfully accept whatever actions the organization might take against me and if such actions relegate me for a lower position in the table, i will be more than happy to keep being faster than tezgm99 and regain the lead in the division behind the wheel on the race track, not in the complaining thread.

PS:
Ford GT race 1 at Rome reverse/ Lap 8/time:1.06.745 : tezgm99 intentionally tries to push me against the guarding rails.
At the same race/ Lap 9/time:0.01.556 - tezgm99 tries to push me again against the guarding rails.
At the same race/ Lap 9/time:0.14.023 - tezgm99 is responsible for a collision with chatva trowing him against the guarding rails provoking the whole situation that he complains about. Absolutely ridiculous.👎

Schmiggz, I'll cut you some slack since you're new but you need to read this. Please pay attention to the last paragraph in black.

What are you talking about? We went Honda/Laguna, Nissan/GVS and Ford/Rome which is what the second post has :confused:

I guess that may have been my mistake. The week before, the Grand Valley race came first, followed by the Laguna Seca race. When we started with the Laguna Race first, I asked the question about the starting order but no one answered it so I though we were going to a different order, that's all :)

Sorry for my confused state, it won't happen again :)

What are you talking about? We went Honda/Laguna, Nissan/GVS and Ford/Rome which is what the second post has :confused:

I guess that may have been my mistake. The week before, the Grand Valley race came first, followed by the Laguna Seca race. When we started with the Laguna Race first, I asked the question about the starting order but no one answered it so I though we were going to a different order, that's all :)

Sorry for my confused state, it won't happen again :)

That's because the car paired with Laguna changed. It went from a car that had more PP than the Fairlady Z to a car with less PP than the Fairlady Z. And because we always determine the rounds based on the cars' PP (from lowest to highest), the Laguna round went from Round 2 to Round 1.

Got an Invite from someone racing at Nurb 505; so after reading this league; I am requesting to join.

Happy Racing!

Hey Wolfsatz,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you! Thanks for signing up 👍

We run a clean league by enforcing the S.N.A.I.L. OLR and we expect all of our drivers to know and follow The Good Racecraft Guide. Please become versed in both.

Follow These Steps:
1. I add you to the drivers list as a New S.N.A.I.L.
2. You run the Time Trial.
3. You Private Message my GTPlanet account with your time from the time trial (no Sunday racing until this is completed).
4. I assign you to the appropriate Division, to give you the best racing possible.
5. A PSN friend request will be sent from the appropriate SNAIL_Division1, 2, 3, 4 or 5 account. That is where you race on Sunday night.
6. You drive fast and clean on Sunday :)

The original post has a lot of information regarding the league, commit it to memory ;)

The second post has the current race lineup and is updated weekly.

If you have a preference for car/wheel colour and racing number, post your choices in this thread. To avoid duplication, the currently claimed combinations can be found here.

During the week we run a number of different events feel free to jump in and partake!

Welcome aboard and enjoy :)

I have a question about Promotion and Relegation. The initial post says

"The fastest drivers in each division are promoted to the next higher division the following month. On the other hand, the slowest drivers in each division are relegated to a lower division."

What happens if you are the slowest person in the division and have raced every week. Does the mean you will be relegated instead of a driver who has not raced at all that month?

Also is the slowest decided based on total points or average per race night?

One last thing. Since promotion/relegation is only happening every month now does it make any sense to promote the top 3 and relegate the bottom 3?

Hey jobyone,

Good question and one that doesn't have an 'it's done this way' answer :crazy:

One of our main goals is to get people of similar skill racing together. To that end Promoting someone from Division X to Division Y that is not able to run similar times to the members of Division Y and similarly Relegating someone from Division Y to Division X that is clearly a faster driver would be a disservice to the Driver and both Divisions.

That said, we're fortunate in that we have a fair amount of overlap in most of our Divisions and people that are on the edge of a Division should find some good racing in another.

Enough rambling, here's some of the factors we look at.

1. Monthly totals
2. Lap times.
3. Average finishes.
4. Podiums.
5. Time Trial time.
6. Division levelling.

Hope that helps.

And by the way, I should have an August results tabs done tomorrow, so everyone can see where they stand.

Cheers,

kcheeb

Enough rambling, here's some of the factors we look at.

1. Monthly totals
2. Lap times.
3. Average finishes.
4. Podiums.
5. Time Trial time.
6. Division levelling

Thanks that is good to know. I noticed that for the week I raced (8/12) there were no lap times. What is the best way for us to ensure they can make it to the spreadsheet?

For the last 3 weeks there has been no Monday night mayhem. I'll be in division 3's lounge around 6:45/9:45. Anyone interested post a message here. Tonights racing is all for fun & we'll be playing Cat & Mouse along with a few other dirty racing games. For anyone who has never played Cat & Mouse it's a Team racing game. Teams of 3 or 4. Every team has a slow car (mouse) & multiple fast cars (cats). The goal is for your teams mouse to beat the other teams mouse to the finishline. The only rule is you cant crash the last place mouse. It's alot of fun hope 2 see u guys there. Show up 10 minutes early if u can. However Everyone is welcome anytime 2nite

I'll be there

Thanks that is good to know. I noticed that for the week I raced (8/12) there were no lap times. What is the best way for us to ensure they can make it to the spreadsheet?

Become the data director for your division :)

What that entails is getting/saving the replays and going through each of the races and entering the Qualifying position, Best Lap Time and Gap from the leader for each Driver in each race.

It takes me about 20 to 30 minutes for each Division. As much as I hated doing it, I've stopped entering data for the Divisions that weren't done. It was taking up too much of my time and I like to race now and again :)

No problem. I have a session coming up myself.

I did the TT with the Mazda at Laguna Seca and best time was 1:39.481

Average closer to 1:40.500

If this helps.

Back