GTP_WRS Leaderboard Discussion and Feedback

• Thread starter steven
  • 1,073 comments
I think it's just about making the sessions to long, i learned that if i drive more than an hour straight trying to improve, i just keep repeating the same mistakes over and over. I think its better to keep multiple short sessions....

Just my thoughts...

@ Ian, I can understand what makes you unhappy.... but please do not compare divisions when you race online... For example ; Litchi used to be Div3... but actually is at least at div2 Gold driver....

About the TT's... I went for it this week all the way, meaning I actually had more than 12hours track time....but at a certain point I could not improve anymore leaving me at Par this week....

You said that your arms and body hurt when you drive that long, IMO opinion you should check your position, FFB.... cause it should be fun, instead off pain.

I have my FFB on 4 on my DFGT because anything less I can't feel a thing, anything more and it becomes too much.

I've been getting pain my arms from just pushing too much. Sometimes it's alright if I don't work at it for a few hours at a time, if I take regular breaks and not do 6 hour stints at a time, I'm usually alright. I end up though hurting more when I'm chasing the last tenths. The frustration gets to me more than the pain, that comes after.

I know it should be fun - and it's not, hence the reason why I'm unhappy. I feel like I'm doing my best, and it doesn't seem to get me anywhere. My best just isn't Div 3 Gold, I think. And I've never been par - gotten quite close, but that was with the Citreon GT and I worked harder on that than most. And suffered for it, hence why I missed a few TT's after.

Not looking for sympathy, but just making it clear that I perhaps don't have the skillset/stamina that people in my own division have. It's just how it is, and I don't wanna keep :banghead: every week in frustration because I think I should be comparable with people in my own division, when I'm not.

@ iainoflo, I'm in exactly the same position as you (consistently missing my division placement times by a HUGE margin) although I'm not suffering the pain of the effort. I really hope that you might change your mind and stick with it a little longer but I completely understand your position.

Yeah, the advantages of the DS3 :D.

Thanks for the support, but I'm not going anywhere - just want to compete at my own level. Which I just think isn't Div 3 Gold. Some people were placed too high, some too low. It's common, but I can't go down without requesting it, the reverse is you go up straight away because you're just too fast for the Division you were placed in. And I know that some people advance faster than others, but I'm not one of them.

My point is I may never be at Div 3 Gold level or it may take months, and I don't want this to sour my experience because every week I'm behind in my division.

Last edited:
Iain. I started in Div 4 and am still in Div4. Some times I do worse, somtimes I do better. At 74 yrs old it's hard to compete with the younger drivers, but I still have a hell of a lot of fun doing the TT's. I can spend 1/2 hr, 1 hr max in the driver's seat before my back pain acts up. Would I like to advance, Hell yes. Can I, Hell no still fun!! I'm here until I can't do it anymore.

I think it's just about making the sessions to long, i learned that if i drive more than an hour straight trying to improve, i just keep repeating the same mistakes over and over. I think its better to keep multiple short sessions....

Just my thoughts...

Lol Koen, I just get warmed up afther an hour..... for example, Sunday I was about 10 hours behind the wheel improving (and eventually best time) in that last hour. Then the day after (monday) it took me about an hour to get up to the same speed I did the day before....I think eventually it will be all different for everybody, also you should not forget that it is harder for old people like myself, it is normal that the youth is a lot quicker :)

*....clip...* Yeah, the advantages of the DS3.

No DS3! I swapped to a T500 RS after my first TT but don't get me started on that decision.....I REALLY, REALLY, REALLY miss using my DS3 and after 2 months of the wheel it's ruined my DS3 times and I'm still 2/3 seconds a lap slower using the wheel! I have FFB up at 7 on my wheel which is pretty high but I never go longer than an hour without a break.

Hope you get things sorted so that you are happy mate :cheers:

No DS3! I swapped to a T500 RS after my first TT but don't get me started on that decision.....I REALLY, REALLY, REALLY miss using my DS3 and after 2 months of the wheel it's ruined my DS3 times and I'm still 2/3 seconds a lap slower using the wheel! I have FFB up at 7 on my wheel which is pretty high but I never go longer than an hour without a break.

Hope you get things sorted so that you are happy mate :cheers:

Oh, I didn't realise you had switched to a wheel. My apologies.

Yeah, I hope things get sorted too. I've PM'd EDK, and we'll just see what happens. Perhaps I'm just taking what Chris said badly in the recent TT results thread.

Oh, I didn't realise you had switched to a wheel. My apologies.

Yeah, I hope things get sorted too. I've PM'd EDK, and we'll just see what happens. Perhaps I'm just taking what Chris said badly in the recent TT results thread.

Well you are amongst friends so if there is anything that I can do to help then feel free to PM me 👍

Lol Koen, I just get warmed up afther an hour..... for example, Sunday I was about 10 hours behind the wheel improving (and eventually best time) in that last hour. Then the day after (monday) it took me about an hour to get up to the same speed I did the day before....I think eventually it will be all different for everybody, also you should not forget that it is harder for old people like myself, it is normal that the youth is a lot quicker :)

Haha, now i know what the number behind your name is, its your age right?:lol:

Perhaps I'm just taking what Chris said badly in the recent TT results thread.
Maybe that was an ill-considered comment by me... it wasn't intended to insult anyone and to be honest I never considered the possibility that some people were spending more time in the TTs than the qualifier and yet not meeting their performance targets. Speaking for myself, I was (and still am to a certain extent) pretty hopeless round Nordschleife in comparison to my performance at other tracks. I spent 2 hours on the qualifier (would have spent more but I only found out about it 1 day before the original deadline) and qualified in D2 Bronze. I spend between 2 and 4 hours on an average event and don't usually get much below a D1 Silver or Gold handicap, so it really hadn't crossed my mind that there would be people experiencing the opposite. I'm not really sure what observations to offer about what that means... although I am aware that the handicap allocation has been skewed slightly differently as we've gone on through WRS and slower times now receive lower handicaps... but I don't think that's by much and shouldn't have thrown such a big spanner in the works as your observations, along with Matthew's, seem to suggest.

But the facts as I see them are thus: The negative effect on handicaps has now been nullified, therefore the worst that can happen in any event is that you will stand still handicap-wise. Ok it may not be too attractive to submit a time that you know is further off the pace than you wanted or expected but no-one here will think badly of you for it, or judge you.... Focus more on trying to improve your techniques and use the WRS and its faster members to help you do that rather than aiming for a specific time window. As your techniques become more practised and automatic, the time will start to drop away. Chasing targets during the learning process is ultimately self defeating... use your time to try and emulate the styles and tricks that you see in the faster racers and start to apply them corner by corner until it feels natural and then start to increase the speed bit by bit. The difference between a D2 time and a D3 time may just be patience. :)

Chris, please don't misunderstand the following as it is absolutely not a dig at you in any way nor is it a shot at anything in particular but the issue, as I see it, is that we are not simply trying to achieve within a fixed target with our TT submissions a'la PD TT's. We are trying to submit a time relative to everyone else that submitted a time and therein lies the problem. Your amazingly quick Chris and we are really fortunate that you spend the time to participate. I have benefited from your tunes and videos as much if not more than others but the D1 group have nothing to prove and rarely make an appearance so the competition at the top where you are is scant to say the least. Lower down the order we have a larger distribution of entrants within divisions and some mightily hungry individuals so the results for those not performing out of their skin will often seem to be out of whack. It's just a quirk of the standard deviation/ normal distribution calculation that is used.

(I'm sure someone will let me know if I have that all wrong :) )

That all said though your advice is bang on target 👍

Kind of feel lame mentioning this but, can someone see why my tag on the leader board still says d2 gold. It seems that fetchy is having trouble coming to grips with my promotion. Thanks in advance.

Edit : Um, nevermind.

Hi Joost, I was wondering whether I can get a flag change for the LB (From US to Kenya) :) I have PAL region and do most TTs with that disc so it would help replay checkers and such cheers 👍

Guys The box where its featured if we use a wheel or controller appears as N/A for me. I use a DS3. Can it be fixed?
Thanks

Create a signature for yourself like you see a lot of us have, and the leaderboard should pick it up automatically. "DS3" should be enough, but you can get fancier if you like.

Create a signature for yourself like you see a lot of us have, and the leaderboard should pick it up automatically. "DS3" should be enough, but you can get fancier if you like.

I'll try 👍

Solved!!

Last edited:
I have a suggestion for the leaderboard. Is it possible to indicate whether a submitted replay is pal or ntsc from the leaderboard to avoid confusion?

I have a suggestion for the leaderboard. Is it possible to indicate whether a submitted replay is pal or ntsc from the leaderboard to avoid confusion?

Hmm, that's a good idea. There are some changes coming with Fetchy and this is something we can implement then. Remind me if I forget :dopey:

Because of a complete new forum the leaderboard needs to be updated. Read: all fetching had to be rewritten.

I've already done the monster job of getting everything working on the beta forum and now need to update wrs.gtplanet.net. This will take some time and I hope to have it ready asap. But i'm away tonight and tomorrow night, so it might take until wednesday. I'll keep you guys posted. Until that time the splits will not be processed, but they will be once Fetchy has been updated.

Leaderboard is: http://wrs.gtplanet.net

So that means lap times cannot be sent to fetchy until then right?

Yes, they can be sent, I also saw you submitted your time, so that should be ok, only will they not be processed yet. It may take some manual processing afterwards, but everything will be handled fine.

Thanks Chris :)

Here's a small sneak preview of the new bot, there are some new things coming, for example, changing you nationality flag on the board:

full.png

Great work again Joost! Good to see the leaderboard is still up, and will be running again at full strength soon 👍 Even some with new features added, greatly appreciated :)

Back