GTP Poker Club

Digital-Nitrate

1955-2011 R.I.P.
Premium
United States
Austin, Texas
D-Nitrate / GTP_DNitrate

01dogs-playing-poker_800.jpg

It's that time of year again, when interest in poker really starts to escalate, what with a new season of High Stakes Poker beginning to air, as well as NBC's broadcast of the 2009 National Heads-Up Poker Championship, and in just one week the 2009 WPT World Championship $25K Buy-In Hold'em Event will be hosted once again at Bellagio... and of course the grand daddy of them all, the 2009 World Series of Poker begins next month and runs for nearly two months.

UPDATE: NBC has also announced an upcoming prime time game show series called Face the Ace, which from the description looks like it could be very interesting.

UPDATE: ESPN has announced their schedule for their upcoming TV coverage of the 2009 World Series of Poker which will start on July 28th at 8:00pm ET with a two hour review of the new $40,000 buy-in No Limit Hold’em tournament which was created in honor of this being the 40th running of the WSOP.

The subject came up in the GTP Home thread following the release of EA's new Godfather II space that has Texas Hold'em poker tables, that it might be fun to organize some GTP poker nights.

(click on any pic to enlarge)

(UPDATE: EA has now released their Sports Complex space in Home, and upstairs they have five poker tables that are an improvement over their other poker tables an noted below)

However, as discussed in that thread there are limitations to trying to organize a game of poker in Home, like:
  • Finding an empty table
  • Waiting for everyone to arrive at the table before being able to start the game
  • No reserving tables
  • No options as far as the type of poker games and table rules
  • Once knocked out, you can't rejoin the same game as it is tournament style
  • You can't watch the game when knocked out (UPDATE: the new EA space has poker tables that at least allow you to see each person's chip count)
  • The only way to chat is to use the new in-game chat room feature (UPDATE: like above, new poker tables now allow norm text chat with players and spectators)
  • No video chat

In contrast, the PSN game, High Stakes on the Vegas Strip: Poker Edition (aka HSP) not only has a much much much better interface and options, but for just $10 and three free DLC add-ons is a real bargain as well. 👍

So then it was suggested that maybe if there was enough interest, we could have some occasional GTP poker nights using HSP instead of Home... thus be able to accommodate more players, create private tables, modify games and rules according to what people wish to play, and players can come and go as they please... which for me is a big plus considering my ever changing free time schedule.

UPDATE: Seeing as HSP appears to limit access to the game lobby based on PSN region, I'm sorting the list based on region:

So far it appears we have the following interested GTP members:
  1. UK BST (GMT + 1) Famine
  2. UK BST (GMT + 1) Mark T
  3. UK BST (GMT + 1) Milford Cubicle
  4. UK BST (GMT + 1) Scaff
  5. UK BST (GMT + 1) Stevisiov.
  6. UK BST (GMT + 1) Sureboss
  7. UK BST (GMT + 1) Touring Mars
  8. UAE ST (GMT + 4) Christhedude
  9. AU EST (GMT +11) Blake
  10. AU EST (GMT +11) J-PaP
  11. AU EST (GMT +11) MisterWeary
  12. AU EST (GMT +11) mullen_power13
  13. US CST (GMT - 5) Digital-Nitrate
  14. US EST (GMT - 4) FoolKiller

Maybe's:
  1. UK BST (GMT + 1) Robin.
  2. AU EST (GMT +11) Paulie
  3. US PST (GMT - 7) ceiling_fan
  4. US EST (GMT - 4) Omnis
  5. US PST (GMT - 7) Solid Lifters
  6. US CST (GMT - 5) TB
  7. US CST (GMT - 5) VashTheStampede

If you are interested, please feel free to chime in. 👍

For those with a location in their profile, I'll put their adjusted GMT next to their ID. For others, if you do not know your adjusted GMT, you can check the current GMT by clicking here, then depending on how many hours you have to add or subtract to match the actual time in your area will confirm what your adjusted GMT is.

For those that do not have a PS3, Mark T has suggested using Facebook's poker program, so for those interested in doing that please let us know as well and I'll keep a list for it as well:
  1. UK BST (GMT + 1) Mark T
  2. DE CET (GMT + 2) S-Line Audi Fan
  3. US CST (GMT - 5) Northstar3914

FBPoker01.jpg
FBPoker02.jpg

BTW: I created a PSN chat room for those who would also like to play poker in Home. It's called GTPlanet Poker Chat:

100_3153.jpg

As for tough loss / amazing win stories:

Just had a quick go at Texas Hold 'Em, pretty cool - although I got wiped out in my first game (I went all-in on an Ace High straight but got beaten by a flush :( )

D'oh! :ouch:

Don't feel too bad though... imagine getting knocked out of the main event at the WSOP, arguably the most prestigious poker tournament of the year having quad aces... one of the strongest and rarest poker hands, especially when two of the aces are in your hole cards!

(and yes, Ray Ramano had a lucky seat at the table when it happened)

I think someone calculated that the odds of a royal straight flush and quad aces in the same hand was about one in 5 billion. :crazy:

But for all the bad beat stories, there are the brutal wins as well...

I had an epic showdown to win a game last night...

I had a nice run that led to knocking out all but one player, which gave me a more than 4-1 chip lead going heads-up ($13K vs $3K), so I thought it wasn't going to last long, but my opponent was playing so tight, and kept betting small or folding early.

Then everything changed when the flop gave me a wheel straight flush (spades)! Now all I had to do is hope and pray he had at least one spade so that I could get him to bet at the pot which at that point was quite small.

He checked after the flop and I put in a small bet of just $80 in order to build up the pot, but also low enough to make it an easy call and hope his hand would improve... and apparently it did on the turn.

Another spade hit, and he went all-in.... I couldn't believe it... and rushed to snap a photo of it:

100_3519.jpg

I had the stone cold nuts and here I was worrying about scaring him off with too large a bet. Naturally I called, and that's when I realized why he went all-in... he had the nut flush, and the only hand that could beat him was in fact the hand I had flopped, the straight flush... amazing finish.

100_3520.jpg

It was a fun night... and BTW: I'm actually impressed how popular and how smoothly the gameplay and chatting works for the poker games in the new EA Sports space. 👍

Last edited:
I think High Stakes On The Vegas Strip: Poker Edition would be the way to go. It's more fleshed out, the only disadvantage to the Home version is the cost...

If someone wants to buy HSP for me then I'm down. Definitely in for whatever is free.

Count me in DN, this looks great fun.

Thanks for bringing it to my attention. 👍

I'm up for it, and I think HSP is the best idea, since I can't think of any decent free software that allows you to create private tables etc. Of course, we can always set up an HSP game as well as any other free games that might be available?

May I suggest that we use Doodle.com to organise possible gaming slots? My schedule is very mixed up as well, especially at the weekends, but atleast a rough schedule will maximise our chances of getting atleast 4 players together at any one time?

I've never thought of purchasing games through the PSN store...this sounds like a cool idea...count me in!

[EDIT] Purchased and downloading now 👍 [/EDIT]

Last edited:
I very well might be interested in this also. Sound likes a fun idea. I will try and keep track of the thread.

I don't have a PS3 yet, but I would be in if you did the facebook idea(which I also don't have but I could get in a matter of minutes).

I've never thought of purchasing games through the PSN store...this sounds like a cool idea...count me in!

Don't forget to download the free DLC add-ons as well. 👍

BTW: I created a PSN chat room for those who would also like to play poker in Home. It's called GTPlanet Poker Chat:

100_3153.jpg

I also played a couple games in Home tonight... as did quite a few others:

100_3154.jpg

Thanks to some very aggressive lose play by others, I'm finding it very easy to knock them all off. :D

100_3152.jpg

While it's fine for just a basic quick game, for planned and private games, tonight just reinforced why it would not work well for casual, private GTP games, so I'm really glad to see we already have six interested members with the HSP game... and it also sounds like the Facebook poker program will work great for those without a PS3. 👍

Facebook has free poker software with the following features. If everyone's happy to use it I think it would be ideal.

Private Tables
Tournaments
Find a table button
Player muting

http://www.facebook.com/apps/application.php?id=2389801228
👍 You do realise that you may have just destroyed my career? :sly: Seriously, though... that looks really good, and I'll be up for playing a few games on that too, only not while I'm at work (honest)...

Thanks to some very aggressive lose play by others, I'm finding it very easy to knock them all off. :D
You mean these twits who automatically go all-in just to steal the pot? I've rumbled a couple of them already, and I've only played three games...

👍 You do realise that you may have just destroyed my career? :sly: Seriously, though... that looks really good, and I'll be up for playing a few games on that too, only not while I'm at work (honest)...

You mean these twits who automatically go all-in just to steal the pot? I've rumbled a couple of them already, and I've only played three games...

It can be addictive, especially if you have a 3g phone as it can be played while on the move. Luckily the company I work for has banned all networking sites. I'm available most evenings from about 7.00pm - 12.00am GMT.

The Facebook application is also being updated soon to include MTT's (multi table tournaments). The convenience of having the chat facility to heckle people will also be handy. :)

Another idea, it would be helpful if we had a list of who is in which time zone, i.e. Touring Mars GMT +1 and/or times when you are most likely going to be able to play... e.g.

Touring Mars (GMT +1): Mon-Fri 1800-2300 GMT Sat-Sun 1000-0000 GMT

I've created a Doodle schedule to see when folks would be available to play... please note that the times are all in GMT, and I've nominated 4 hour blocks on weekdays and 6 hour blocks on Weekends, but once we get a rough idea of when we are likely to get atleast a decent table full of people (i.e. 4+), then we can sort out the details (i.e. starting time) in the thread...

Last edited:
Nice. It’s been years since I’ve played hold ’em properly, but I loved it so it would be cool to get back into it.

I haven’t got High Stakes but I can grab it easily enough. Also voted in Doodle.

Anyone here use PokerStars?

I do and am right now, I'm in the ANZPT-Melbourne tourney right this second. 👍 3800 entered, 900 left for 20 seats in the satellite final.

*added bit* Got knocked out in 320th. :(

Last edited:
Another idea, it would be helpful if we had a list of who is in which time zone, i.e. Touring Mars GMT +1 and/or times when you are most likely going to be able to play... e.g.

Excellent suggestion. 👍

For those with a location in their profile, I'll put their adjusted GMT next to their ID. For others, if you do not know your adjusted GMT, you can check the current GMT by clicking here, then depending on how many hours you have to add or subtract to match the actual time in your area will confirm what your adjusted GMT is.

For instance, at the time of this post the GMT is currently about 1pm. Here in Austin, Texas (CST) the time is about 8am, so while CST is normally GMT (-6), now with daylight savings it is GMT (-5).

My free time schedule can vary and change rapidly, but in general, the best times for me are after 10pm CST (3am GMT) (after the kids are down for the night), but I can also be known to stay up late on occasions, so I can play until around 3am CST (8am GMT).

It is also possible for me on occasions to play in the mornings during the week, say 8am-2pm CST (1pm-7pm GMT)... but not very often.

I would have checked off that time block in your Doodle... but that time block is missing. :indiff:

Touring Mars (GMT +1): Mon-Fri 1800-2300 GMT Sat-Sun 1000-0000 GMT

I've created a Doodle schedule to see when folks would be available to play... please note that the times are all in GMT, and I've nominated 4 hour blocks on weekdays and 6 hour blocks on Weekends, but once we get a rough idea of when we are likely to get atleast a decent table full of people (i.e. 4+), then we can sort out the details (i.e. starting time) in the thread...

Sounds good to me... just one note, besides adding the early morning GMT time block, if possible, it might be better to break the time block up into as little as 2 hours, as 4-6 hour blocks are so specific, and for many such as myself, the times that work overlap between two time blocks, and do not necessarily represent that I would or wont be available during those times.

Regardless of all that, as you said, once we get a rough idea of who can play and generally when they can play then the details will surelyt sort themselves out. 👍

Last edited:
That doodle schedule is great 👍

I don't own HSP, but I can easy get it should the GTP matches get a definite go ahead. Looking forward to playing soon hopefully.

See how painless that was?

Sounds good to me... just one note, besides adding the early morning GMT time block, if possible, it might be better to break the time block up into as little as 2 hours, as 4-6 hour blocks are so specific, and for many such as myself, the times that work overlap between two time blocks, and do not necessarily represent that I would or wont be available during those times.

Regardless of all that, as you said, once we get a rough idea of who can play and generally when they can play then the details will surelyt sort themselves out. 👍
I agree, my mostly free hours are not listed, and some of those time blocks may be overlapping work and non-work hours. Anyway, I will do my math and fill it in later. Good thing my new phone has a world clock.

I do know that I am not available this weekend because of my niece's birthday.

HSP is remote playable too, isn't it? So, I could play even if my wife is using the TV. Or I could be playing while peaking in your window to see your hand... :mischievous:

I will attempt to use my PS3 Eye too, but don't be surprised if you just see a tiki statue or my face is suddenly interupted by a curious chihuahua. I can't count the number of shots he has ruined when making a level for LBP.

And since this will of course be just fun (aka you can't take my money because I suck) I will likely be partaking in a delicious alcoholic beverage. I hope no one minds. In fact, I hope everyone joins me.

Now, I need to boot up HSP and practice Texas Hold 'Em. I'm more of a Blackjack guy myself. Occasionally I play some Five-Card Draw. I think that I have played one virtual hand of Texas Hold 'Em in HSP.

Friday 21:00GMT is starting to look like a good night, hope you will be able to make it too DN. Providing we agree to it that is. As soon as a night is agree'd I will buy the game of PSN (never bought a game through PSN before). FK, I will be joining you on the alcoholic beverages idea. :P

Hopefully the Doodle schedule will give us an idea of times when likely games can happen - perhaps it would be a good idea if we just use that as a rough guide and then do an "interest check" for actual games? I was going to suggest that D-N did that so as to avoid confusion, but actually, I think it would be better to just let anyone look at the Doodle thing and organise games in this thread based on that... i.e. there is already a time that looks ideal for us UK players to have a game (i.e. Friday night) and other times where we could get a nice mix of folks (i.e. Sunday afternoon) etc. I would suggest that we need a minimum of 4 players to confirm that they can play for atleast one hour, and plan to make themselves available for up to three hours (?) when signing up for a game... that said, there will always be room for people to jump in at short notice, it's just people dropping out at short notice that is a problem (albeit an inevitable one!)

I agree with TM.

Since as doodle gives us a good idea of times, How Friday night around 21:00GMT for now(interest check)? There are 5 people down who could potentially make it so far. There is no harm in a trail run after all.

I guess we all have to agree on a venue. If the PSN HSP is the method of choice it would be good to clarify that first. I would also agree with setting out a time of play, people quitting early would affect game play somewhat, so I guess we need a proper commitment from anyone who expresses interest in a specific evening to make things run smoothly. I would be happy to put a few hours aside for a game/games.

On a side note, does bluetooth chat work with HSP?

So are we going to make this a PS3 event only? If so I'll raid my piggy bank (credit card) this week and buy one. It seems to be me and one other that doesn't have a PS3.

So are we going to make this a PS3 event only? If so I'll raid my piggy bank (credit card) this week and buy one. It seems to be me and one other that doesn't have a PS3.

Wow, your really up for poker! :scared:

Perhaps I need more preparation for these matches, against a bunch of hardcore poker veterans by the sounds of it. :P

Wow, your really up for poker! :scared:

Perhaps I need more preparation for these matches, against a bunch of hardcore poker veterans by the sounds of it. :P

I love poker, really love it. One of best friends is ranked no1 online, his site is here www.moorman1.com . Makes well over £200k a year, tax free

I'm not brilliant, I've had a few large-ish wins over at Party Poker, maybe £1500 - £2000 in total. I never play cash games, only tournaments which requires more of a game plan.

Well, 2100 GMT is 1700 EDT. I won't be home until 1800 (2200 GMT), at the earliest, and I may be able to dive right into a game at that point or I may have to grab dinner first depending on the wife.

If we can get something confirmed then I can make advance dinner arrangements with my wife (aka I'll pick up McDonald's on the way home) and practically guarantee my attendance (work pending).

But I definitely cannot make 2100 as I am just leaving work at that point.

EDIT: I do not have Facebook, and have sworn a lifelong vow to never have it.

And it looks like I will be getting my butt handed to me. Should I wear my sunglasses to hide what are likely blatantly obvious tells?

Count me in as a weak maybe, solely based on the completely random times I'd be able to play. I'm guessing this isn't a game the kids would like to watch during my sons treatments. :lol:

Back