GTP Poker Club

FK I am flexible for Friday, it is Friday night for us UK'ers but I can't speak on behalf of everyone of course, its likely that it wont be a problem, will have to wait and see though. I am able to stay up and run it a little later to accommodate.

I think as said previously, we need a minimum of 4 players really, going of the interest shown, it shouldn't be too hard to get 4 people free at the same time. I am rather optimistic.

Friday for me is fine if I can get hold of a PS3 before then. I've got a nice case of pear Balmers cider and the missus is away Friday night. Game on.

I would suggest that we need a minimum of 4 players to confirm that they can play for atleast one hour, and plan to make themselves available for up to three hours (?) when signing up for a game... that said, there will always be room for people to jump in at short notice, it's just people dropping out at short notice that is a problem (albeit an inevitable one!)

Well said. Also, just to add, if everyone agrees and they want to have more players, either while we wait for GTP members to join, or just in general, the host can always open the table up to the general public. In the evnt we need more room, we can either ask or boot the non GTP members, or simply create a new table and move to it. Lots of different options to chose from. 👍

Also, in the event we have multiple tables for a large group, we can also use the in-game PSN chat room, GTPlanet Poker Chat, to still be able to talk with players at different tables. 👍

I will attempt to use my PS3 Eye too, but don't be surprised if you just see a tiki statue or my face is suddenly interupted by a curious chihuahua. I can't count the number of shots he has ruined when making a level for LBP.

As long as no one goes commando, I'm good with the video. :D

Also, just keep in mind, if you want to use the video chat feature while playing, just be sure you have a good strong broadband connection. 👍

Friday 21:00GMT is starting to look like a good night, hope you will be able to make it too DN.

That would be 4pm CST... which is actually doable for me... but I wont be able to play long (maybe until 5:30pm), as we have guests coming over for dinner that evening.

And since this will of course be just fun (aka you can't take my money because I suck) I will likely be partaking in a delicious alcoholic beverage. I hope no one minds. In fact, I hope everyone joins me.

FK, I will be joining you on the alcoholic beverages idea. :P

As will I... besides, it will give me a head start on the evening. :D

:cheers:

As long as no one goes commando, I'm good with the video. :D
Maybe I'll hold back on the alcohol then. :sly:

Also, just keep in mind, if you want to use the video chat feature while playing, just be sure you have a good strong broadband connection. 👍
Hurm. Maybe I should test this first.

As will I... besides, it will give me a head start on the evening. :D

:cheers:
Yeah, I hate when my wife has her friends over too, being sober to think that you may wreak of real alcohol and virtual cards for your dinner guests.

Right with that in mind It's not too early to put a plan in place is it?

DN can make around 21:00-22:30GMT
FK is available at 22:00GMT at the earliest
I am available all evening
I assume from what Mark T said he is available all evening.

Perhaps two games are in order on Friday.

1) 21:00-22:30GMT (Digital Nitrate, Stevisiov, Mark T) + extras

2) 22:30-24:00GMT (Foolkiller, Stevisiov, Mark T) + extras

Assuming Mark T is up for both games then there are currently 3 in each match which ideally requires at least one more entrant. Hopefully Blake and TM will be able to join and others who are interested too. 👍

This also assumes that you can have a suitable game within one and a half hours, also that everyone arrives on time and the games can be set up quickly (I don't know what the software limitations are, so I couldn't say).

Anyone's thoughts on this, as a sort of vague outline. Any proposals?

I play at a friends house (bearing in mind you have people jabbering, looking at rule books and generally being slow) it takes around 3-4 hours for a six player game. 3-4 people online i reckon will be around 2 hours depending on how conservative people play. Could be as quick as an hour.

I play at a friends house (bearing in mind you have people jabbering, looking at rule books and generally being slow) it takes around 3-4 hours for a six player game. 3-4 people online i reckon will be around 2 hours depending on how conservative people play. Could be as quick as an hour.
Rule books? I thought diagreements in carsd were settled by overturning tables and whoever gets their gun drawn first is right.

Or have I been watching too many westerns?

The proposed schedule looks good. I told my wife I was doing this, so she knows not to expect me to be doing anything.

Rule books? I thought diagreements in carsd were settled by overturning tables and whoever gets their gun drawn first is right.

Or have I been watching too many westerns?

The proposed schedule looks good. I told my wife I was doing this, so she knows not to expect me to be doing anything.

You know how it is, there's always one who has to disagree. It can get quite heated after a few beers.

Yeh that's a good point, I tend to find people are less prone to messing about and wasting time online compared to when I play with my mates. We haven't played together yet so its a hard call to make.

It might be an idea to allow for 2 hours just incase. I wonder what extent the game lets you customize the play. Perhaps the increase of the blinds per round could be modified to help shorten the game slightly.

I don't really know and its not really my decision to make.

I think we are less strapped for time in the second match, so we can always have 1 and a half hours for the first match, and just let the second one run a bit if it needs too.

I don't think we can really put a time limit on the game but we'll definitely need blind increases at certain intervals to keep game times sensible.

This also assumes that you can have a suitable game within one and a half hours, also that everyone arrives on time and the games can be set up quickly (I don't know what the software limitations are, so I couldn't say).

If you have already started the game, and created your avatar, it takes very little time to enter the HSP lobby and search for a specific table... but for those new to the game, you may want to play around with it before hand, if anything, just to get familiar with the options and controls.

As far as a suitable game length, the nice thing about a casual social game of poker, and not tournament style, is that people can come and go as they like without worrying about how long or short the game might be.

Now if GTP Poker Nights grows in popularity, perhaps we can also have occasional poker tournaments, and in those cases, then we need to have a definite time frame in mind, and escalating blinds to increase the action as chip stacks get larger and players get knocked out. 👍

One thing I want to be sure is possible, is that the lobbies support gameplay across multiple regions, as some game lobbies do not. This should be easy to check, and in fact if anyone in the UK wants to try this out right now I'd be happy to do so.

If it does not support it, the next thing to check is if by logging in with my UK PSN account, or a UK user logging in with a NA PSN account, will we then have access to the same game lobby?

Hopefully, none of that will be necessary, and that all regions have access to the same HSP game lobby, but this should be confirmed by someone before Friday.

I just got a rather fabulous hand on Facebook poker...

I beat someone with a flush with a straight flush :eek:

I had 10H and AH in the hole, and the flop came out with 3H, 3S and 4H... the Turn came up with the 2H and I now had a Flush with an Ace :) But the 5H came out on the River, and I was now sitting on a Straight Flush for the first time ever... luckily, I had been slowplaying, and had checked all the way. My opponent went all-in, obviously with a flush as well (she only needed one Heart in the hole, and she had the Queen) and must have been certain she was onto a winner... :D

I'd like to join in with this, although I do need to purchase and download HSP (I was considering getting it anyway).

I'm free most evenings and on a weekend, there's a fair chance that both Famine and I will be able to join in on a weekend (2 x PS3s FTW :D).
Please add my Milford_Cubicle PSN ID to your lists. I'm UK based, so GMT+1.

At last! A game I can play online which doesn't involve trying to shoot people or driving badly!

I'd like to join in with this, although I do need to purchase and download HSP (I was considering getting it anyway).

I'm free most evenings and on a weekend, there's a fair chance that both Famine and I will be able to join in on a weekend (2 x PS3s FTW :D).

At last! A game I can play online which doesn't involve trying to shoot people or driving badly!

That's great news.

Do you think you will be able to make friday night? Hopefully it will be GTP's first poker meet.

Sorry if I seem a bit forward with the press ganging organising, I wanted to make sure we had a confirmed a game before I bought HSP, but wanted to have time to familiarise myself with it. No doubt Mark T wants to know in plenty of time, so that he can buy his PS3. :eek:

I probably can make Friday night, but only if I remember/Famine remembers to buy and download HSP.

I'd probably have to be an earlier bird though, I should be free between 8 and 10pm.

So if my maths is right the game would start about 8am Saturday morning for me...that's probably doable? Put me in as a yes 👍

Right with that in mind It's not too early to put a plan in place is it?

DN can make around 21:00-22:30GMT
FK is available at 22:00GMT at the earliest
I am available all evening
I assume from what Mark T said he is available all evening.

Perhaps two games are in order on Friday.

1) 21:00-22:30GMT (Digital Nitrate, Stevisiov, Mark T) + extras

2) 22:30-24:00GMT (Foolkiller, Stevisiov, Mark T) + extras

Assuming Mark T is up for both games then there are currently 3 in each match which ideally requires at least one more entrant. Hopefully Blake and TM will be able to join and others who are interested too. 👍

Anyone's thoughts on this, as a sort of vague outline. Any proposals?

Okay so it was 3 per game, now we have MisterWeary as a yes, and TM PM'ed a yes earlier, so that is 5. Milford Cubicle and Famine are possibles and still waiting to hear on Blake. Everyone else is still welcome 👍

I think we have sufficient numbers on friday to say Game On!

I am off to purchase HSP. :)

Well we can't play on Home anyway. There is some kind of glitch or hack where people bet negative amounts. Like, I opened the bet with 300 dollars and then the whole table started doing -10 dollar bets. So they took all my money... it was really messed up.

Done.

Well we can't play on Home anyway. There is some kind of glitch or hack where people bet negative amounts. Like, I opened the bet with 300 dollars and then the whole table started doing -10 dollar bets. So they took all my money... it was really messed up.
So, if you lose that means you get their money, right?

That is messed up, but if we did play in Home as an organzied group I believe that it is safe to say that we wouldn't be doing that.

I got on HSP tonight and played some Texas Hold Em. I think I get how the game works well enough to not get lost, but I am still at a bit of a loss for strategy. I have no clue how I am supposed to bet based on the two cards in my hand.

But I did try going online just to see how it worked so that I wouldn't be confused on Friday but it kept saying it couldn't connect to the servers. Is anyone else having this problem?

You don't even have to lose. You can ride out the calls and just collect the ten bucks. Basically it was taking money from the pot an into your pile.

I got on HSP tonight and played some Texas Hold Em. I think I get how the game works well enough to not get lost, but I am still at a bit of a loss for strategy. I have no clue how I am supposed to bet based on the two cards in my hand.

But I did try going online just to see how it worked so that I wouldn't be confused on Friday but it kept saying it couldn't connect to the servers. Is anyone else having this problem?

I was on earlier today and just about 15 minutes ago and had no problems logging into the servers and joining games.

BTW: The video chat was working great, even with a full table, but I also have a very good connection speed, usually above 10Mbps.

One thing I will say is that if at all possible, everyone should try and use a microphone. Any Bluetooth headset should work fine. The reason for this is that it not only makes the game that much more naturally social, but the game's own text chat has a limited space, and there is no chat log or a way to scroll back to see what was said earlier on... which is also why for those that prefer text chat, that it might be better if we used the new chat room feature in XMB.

I was on earlier today and just about 15 minutes ago and had no problems logging into the servers and joining games.
About an hour after I made that post it worked just fine. Must have been a temporary thing, and possibly just an ISP issue on my end (wouldn't be the first).

So, is there a way to search for a room or invite people when you create a room? My brief encounter (it was late) looked like it is just a list of games and you filter them down to what you want.

I'll have to attempt A/V but I am doubtful it will work well, as we have seen with my setup in the past. But I can definitely do voice. I am hopeful about A/V though as I actualy managed to get online while playing HSP via Remote Play from my PSP, just to see if I could. But I was also directly connected locally from the PSP to the PS3.

I don't have a mic or webcam for the PS3, I might try and get one before Sat but if I'm silent when we play you'll know why :)

I finally got myself a Bluetooth headset, so I will no longer be reliant on typing at one character every ten seconds. I'm not likely to get a webcam set up though, but that might be doing you guys more of a favour than a disservice :crazy:

I finally got myself a Bluetooth headset, so I will no longer be reliant on typing at one character every ten seconds. I'm not likely to get a webcam set up though, but that might be doing you guys more of a favour than a disservice :crazy:
I'm contemplating focusing it on my beer so that you can watch my progress.

I will be using my blootueth headset, providing I remember to charge it. I don't have a PSeye however my internet connection isn't particularly quick anyway.

I just had a go at the single player and one a tournament first time, unfortunately the AI set to amateur is slightly more predictable than a human opponent. :indiff:

I am looking forward to getting well and truly beaten, particularly by Mark T by the sounds of it. :scared:

I will be using my blootueth headset, providing I remember to charge it. I don't have a PSeye however my internet connection isn't particularly quick anyway.

I just had a go at the single player and one a tournament first time, unfortunately the AI set to amateur is slightly more predictable than a human opponent. :indiff:

I am looking forward to getting well and truly beaten, particularly by Mark T by the sounds of it. :scared:

Poker is a hard game to play, and generally people who can calculate pot odds have a real advantage. I would recommend reading up on it as it will help in making decisions based on whether the bet is worth the return.

I really need to get down to Gamestation tomorrow. How much are those Bluetooth headset thingy me bobs?

Back