HKS controller

• Thread starter ForNgoods
  • 324 comments
My god, i'm not sure if it's just me, but i think this controller looks amazing and fully functional. The best part is it only retails for 50 dollars. Wonder if it's wireless. Link Sorry if this has already been posted, i always seem to be a little late to the show.

attachment.php

Wow, that's look cool. I have a wheel already but will get this if it works right.
It's wireless also, look at the red lights indicating controller port.

Isn't it missing one axis, though? The X and [] levers thingies seem to be self centering, which is cool, but I think it's missing the Y axis from the "right" stick (positioned to the left of the "left" stick. Ok, I know that's confusing.

What confuse me is the analog stick on the left there supposed to be (left or right stick on the SONY controller)?

Isn't it missing one axis, though? The X and [] levers thingies seem to be self centering, which is cool, but I think it's missing the Y axis from the "right" stick (positioned to the left of the "left" stick. Ok, I know that's confusing.

Yeah the steering device doesnt have an up or down option but i dont think you'll really miss it b/c all you really need is left and right as far as steering goes. The only catch is it might be difficult using this controller with nondriving games but this controller is specifically for driving games obviously so no worries.

You guys are not getting the concept. This is just great for racing. The X and [] buttons are acceleration and braking, which I'm sure is pressure sensitve. with a longer throw which means more precision on the gas and brake. The D-pad is an interesting place to put it where the R-3 used to be. And having a Left-right only steering wheel where the D-pad used to be is really quite innovative.

P.S. to forNgoods Great find, and I would probably start a poll to see who would buy it.

Quick, somebody post a video of it in action. Not sure how intuitive this is going to be.

I'm pretty sold on it myself. it looks like a great alternative to lugging my G27 if i want to play at a friends house. A video of this in action would be great but might be a hard find. i can't even frind a place that even sells this bad boy.

Sound like it won't be out until close to GT5 release.
I myself will definitely get one, don't feel like getting in the cockpit all the time and this would solve the standard PS3 controller issues.

Found one video. Very brief though.

Nice find:tup:. Well it seems like it's corded but that's not a deal breaker. I just hope it feels sold in my hands and not some cheap piece of plastic.

I would like to try that thing out, can't use wheels because of a handicap, would like to know if something like this would work for me.

Personally I'm a steering wheel kind of guy, but I do miss the good old days of GT3 and prior where the analogue controller ruled supreme. So this HKS PS3 controller got my attention:

hks_controller.jpg

hks_controller_poster.jpg

Original link: http://www.motorworldhype.com/2010-06-16/e3-2010-playstation-3-hks-racing-controller-by-eagle3-andy/

Of course, this is no replacement to a good steering wheel setup, but for all those times in between when we're just too lazy to get into the steering wheel setup and wanted to do a bit of casual driving, I think this is a pretty damn good investment of $50.

Thoughts?

I'm a wheel player but damn I have to try this:drool::eek::eek::eek:
But how would you use the clutch? I mean, on fm3 I'm used to have the throttle and brake on triggers, the clutch on A (too bad it's not analog), upshift on X and downshift on B.
Witht this, clutch would be on X "analog pedal", upshift on triangle (pretty far for the thumb:indiff:) and downshift on circle. Doesn't look natural.

In the end it's not that good for clutch users.

Last edited:
Lol you beat me to it by a few minutes, I also started a thread on this controller after searches of HKS Controller didn't show up with any results 5 minutes ago. Kudos, very interesting controller

That looks awesome!! Is that a LED tachometer and speed read-out in the middle too?!? I just hope the price isn't as inflated as much as their performance car parts.....

I'm not sure how the diagonal "wheel" would work, but the idea is great (Analog control without fear of slipping high or low).

The throttle and brake are freakin' great though :D If they have just the right amount of resistance, I may have to buy this...

That looks awesome!! Is that a LED tachometer and speed read-out in the middle too?!?
I believe that is a readout for the throttle and brake.

...I just hope the price isn't as inflated as much as their performance car parts.....
$55. Not too bad IMHO.

$55. Not too bad IMHO.
Doesn't sound too bad. If it's any good, I'll definately be getting one.

Throttle and brakes can be accessed with the thumb, steering could be done with either the left analog stick or that 'wheel'...

L2 or R2 could be used for the clutch and would be analog (♥), and shifting could be done with L1 and R1. Sounds good to me. especially considering that setting a wheel up is a huge pain in the rear for me because my apartment isn't exactly spacious.

My first reaction was 'how stupid', but that thing looks like it could well be the best way to play GT without a wheel.

Back