HKS controller

• Thread starter ForNgoods
  • 324 comments
Yea, there is a great chance they will get 50 bucks from me. Just for those lazy days and some head to head.

I'm curious about the "Macro" Button just above the PS button. What the heck is that for?

Last edited:
Meh, I was lead to believe that PS3's would be able to use all PS1/2 peripherals but when I opened the box 5(4?) years ago I was disappointed that my NeGcon wouldn't work. Would rather see a new NeGcon with wireless and force feedback than this monstrosity but that's because my wheel is permanently on the PC these days.

Negcon-EXP.png

New-NegCon-small.jpg

Let's forget about those things of the past...

this is the real deal:
hksps3controller.jpg

This is the racing controller i have been waiting for ages ago... i cant believe none of us have thought about doing what HKS just released!

THIS IS AWESOME, i love it already, EXCEPT FOR THE COLOR...

But everything is very well thought out!

I do have a cockpit and wheel setup now, but i still use the controller D-pad driving GT5-P most of the time.

And i totally hate the Gas and Brake control (à la XBOX) or using the R2 or L2... i just dont have enough grip in that configuration... so this whole time, i still use the X and "square" button to accelerate and brake...

This new controller from HKS will be a savior! I love it... I am sold....

I hope they release it in other colors, because i am not the tuning kind of guy :S

Where can i buy this?

PS: lol i was about to start a thread too, but thankfully i went around looking for it first...

...And i totally hate the Gas and Brake control (à la XBOX) or using the R2 or L2... i just dont have enough grip in that configuration... so this whole time, i still use the X and "square" button to accelerate and brake...

This new controller from HKS will be a savior! I love it... I am sold...
I'm not quite sure this will be saving you I'm afraid.

If the game you're playing has the throttle and brake hard-mapped (As in the controls are not customizable like in recent NFS iterations) to L2 and R2, this controller is not going to change that.

Unless of course Turn 10 and other developers jump on this controller and release custom maps specifically for it. Either that or if maybe that Macro button allows you to remap the buttons on the controller itself...

Depends on how much you are willing to pay...
I will only get the girl if she is free.. .

I'm not quite sure this will be saving you I'm afraid.

If the game you're playing has the throttle and brake hard-mapped (As in the controls are not customizable like in recent NFS iterations) to L2 and R2, this controller is not going to change that.

Unless of course Turn 10 and other developers jump on this controller and release custom maps specifically for it. Either that or if maybe that Macro button allows you to remap the buttons on the controller itself...

I still dont get why developpers would force us to use a certain configuration and hard-map those buttons... I cant believe Turn 10 doesnt allow us to change that Left/Right trigger to a botton. Probably a limitation from the analog to digital conversion.

That's why I like it how Kaz allow us to configure the controller to our likings.
i like to push button the old fashion way... a la NES! :lol:

that's why this controller from HKS makes a lot of sense, especially since i only have a PS3 and will only play GT5.

Probably pick one up along with a copy of GT5 in November!

...I still dont get why developpers would force us to use a certain configuration and hard-map those buttons... I cant believe Turn 10 doesnt allow us to change that Left/Right trigger to a botton...
What ever the reason, this controller is just further proof that it's a little late to be reinventing the wheel.

X is go
[] is stop

;)

I'm a wheel player but damn I have to try this:drool::eek::eek::eek:
But how would you use the clutch? I mean, on fm3 I'm used to have the throttle and brake on triggers, the clutch on A (too bad it's not analog), upshift on X and downshift on B.
Witht this, clutch would be on X "analog pedal", upshift on triangle (pretty far for the thumb:indiff:) and downshift on circle. Doesn't look natural.

In the end it's not that good for clutch users.

By having the throttle and brake as X and square, that frees up the shoulder buttons, perhaps say L2 could be clutch and R2 and R1 to be gear up and down?

I don't mean to sound like a jerk, but is having a clutch REALLY that important if you're not using a wheel/pedal setup?

I mean, yeah this is better than a regular controller, but if you don't need to complicate matters with another button press (Which lets face it, we're running out of both buttons and fingers when using a controller in the first place), why do it?

Why hasn't someone come out with a PS3 version of this old standard???

picture.php

I have one for the PC it works pretty wheel though its not as adjustable as I would like, so I got a regular wheel.

Don't be surprised if more stuff like this comes out for GT5....

This controller has interested me quite a lot. It seems to be able to replicate some sort of feel and precision of a wheel and I'm a stucker for flashing LED's! :sly:

The only thing thats odd is the angled steering dial, it should be horizontal so you swipe your thumb left and right instead of rolling your thumb up and down and to the side.

Wired is not a problem but what would sell it for me is if it was PS2 compatible (a USB to Dual Shock attachment included) because I have a ton of PS2 games I would like to play with this.

$50 is quite steep, its the cost of a 'Move' and I doubt its as advanced. It all depends on quality and some decient reviews.

Actually I wish PD would put in SIXAXIS steering support for the hell of it, just to see what its like!

Robin.

This controller has interested me quite a lot. It seems to be able to replicate some sort of feel and precision of a wheel and I'm a stucker for flashing LED's! :sly:

The only thing thats odd is the angled steering dial, it should be horizontal so you swipe your thumb left and right instead of rolling your thumb up and down and to the side.

Wired is not a problem but what would sell it for me is if it was PS2 compatible (a USB to Dual Shock attachment included) because I have a ton of PS2 games I would like to play with this.

$50 is quite steep, its the cost of a 'Move' and I doubt its as advanced. It all depends on quality and some decient reviews.

Actually I wish PD would put in SIXAXIS steering support for the hell of it, just to see what its like!

Robin.

$50 is expensive? A new PS3 Dual Shock is $40-50US, I don't see a ton of difference price wise, but function....

You basically replacing buttons with rocker switches and D-pad with a "wheel" I don't see how its "That" much different than a standard controller.

I don't mean to sound like a jerk, but is having a clutch REALLY that important if you're not using a wheel/pedal setup?

I mean, yeah this is better than a regular controller, but if you don't need to complicate matters with another button press (Which lets face it, we're running out of both buttons and fingers when using a controller in the first place), why do it?

No only realism freaks want a clutch, which is funny because if we're talking street cars that's one thing, but most race cars these days have clutch-less upshifts. From Touring Cars to GT1 and in fact ACO GT2 will allow for paddle shifting, something that's standard in Ferrari's anyway.

Some people just can't get over - "Its A Game"

$50 is expensive? A new PS3 Dual Shock is $40-50US, I don't see a ton of difference price wise, but function....

Well the Move has inertial sensors, linear accelerometers, angular rate sensors and a magnetometer. This will have one standard motion chip (SIXAXIS) and I don't even think it has bluetooth (wired). So I would say for the tech your getting its more expensive.

You basically replacing buttons with rocker switches and D-pad with a "wheel" I don't see how its "That" much different than a standard controller.

Which makes it even less special, maybe it should be priced like other 3rd party controllers which are much less expensive than the SIXAXIS.

Robin.

In NZ it cost about $99, so your right its expensive! 👍

In NZ it cost about $99, so your right its expensive! 👍

Are you saying the price won't be adjusted for whatever market its sold in?

I can buy Tamiya R/C cars and parts for less in NZ because of the exchange rate, but those are economic realities.

Which makes it even less special, maybe it should be priced like other 3rd party controllers which are much less expensive than the SIXAXIS.

Robin.

I disagree. You mentioned a good point; most 3rd party controllers are very inexpensive, but you have to consider that the vast, immense majority of third party controllers are garbage. Rarely have I had a good experience with 3rd party joypads.

Having said that, the fact that it -looks- like a quality product in pictures and the price seems to indicate this as well makes me think that this won't be a controller you'll so very easily dispose of. It has the potential to be good.

-> I'm curious about this new HKS-licensed controller. I'd rather try it first hand before getting this "primarily for driving/racing games" controller. I'm a dedicated gamer for driving games and this should be a nice alternative.

HN7
I like how they trying to give us the experience of "heel-toe shift" but with our hand instead (I demand clutch button in GT5 NOWWW)
^ I'm already doing fine on my DS3 since GT3. I can perform a "Heel-Toe" using the regular controller. :D

Are you saying the price won't be adjusted for whatever market its sold in?

I can buy Tamiya R/C cars and parts for less in NZ because of the exchange rate, but those are economic realities.

Of course!! Don't you know that every country has its own currency?

I'll give you a little lecture about it:

Ok back at the 1800's and early 1900's NZ used to have a £ - pound currency (better economy). Now it uses dollars just like at America.

But at american (USA) it has a much-greater higher economy that here in NZ.

*talk about maths!!

If you compare USA's economic rates with other countries like UK or France you'll see the difference.

Okay lecture time is over. :)

New Zealand has printed more money in relation to the size of their economy. Also, cost of shipping to New Zealand (overhead) is probably higher. Thats why the cost would be higher.

As far the controller goes. I will be waiting for reviews to pop up on here and Amazon. Betcha Amazon sells it for around 45 dollars here in the States. 👍

Yep ,shipping the products from other countries cost way too much here in NZ. Thanks for the wrap up.

Ok enough of that, lets talk about which device is much more reliable in terms of racing/driving with:

HKS Controller
Dual Shock 3
Driving Force GT/G25/G27

Lets talk about it shall we?

Why hasn't someone come out with a PS3 version of this old standard???

picture.php
I had the controller.:D Made playing GT 1 & 2 much easier, but shifting was pretty tricky given the button layout.

Ah, but this was likely designed with the average controller user in mind. On a DualShock one tends to go forward and back with their thumb for the turning on the left analog stick (although I do see d-pad users having issues). What would really improve this product would be to allow the user to rotate at least the "steering wheel" a good 90+ degrees so that they can have the feel that they want (and obviously lock it in place somehow). Allowing the throttle and brake "pedals" to rotate would be an added bonus. However, overall I think they did a really good job. I can already see how I'm going to configure the controls in GT5, depending on the options available.

@Belisario93: Same, but if I can't find a decent wheel for GT5 then I'll just use a Controller instead.

I'm still a controller user anyway. :)

@Belisario93: Same, but if I can't find a decent wheel for GT5 then I'll just use a Controller instead.

I'm still a controller user anyway. :)

I am planning on getting myself a G25 or G27 at some point, but I would like a controller like this for more casual things, like when I first wake up and feel like playing some GT (it happens).

Back