SLR Mclaren (19inch wheel option) '09 Aerodynamics kit or no? Tune? :)

• Thread starter Rhastabudz
  • 20 comments

Rhastabudz

(Banned)
United States
Tampa / Florida / USA
SurF1Nyt
I'm looking for a drifting setup for a FULLY TUNED SLR Mclaren (19inch wheel option) '09 . https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=168415

One question I am interested in asking about this car is: The stock wing that pops up when you hit a certain mph.... Did you leave the aerodynamics stock and use this feature to your advantage for drifting or did you buy the aero kit and use the wing with minimal down force?

I'd like to hear from others on this matter but I will be taking mine for a test drive soon and let you hear the results and possibly my tune for this car if requested and I will be leaving my car stock at the moment until I hear back about this!

Dont make two threads about the same car just put them in one thread.👎

Clearly this is a different question than the one asked on the other forum. This is specifically asking for an opinion on the SLR's stock aerodynamics vs added wing. Throwing in the fact that I also have not found a good tune for drifting.

Clearly this is a different question than the one asked on the other forum. This is specifically asking for an opinion on the SLR's stock aerodynamics vs added wing. Throwing in the fact that I also have not found a good tune for drifting.

What other forum? Its about the same car though by the same person. You could of just put both questions in the same thread which would avoid clogging up the thread. 👍

What other forum? Its about the same car though by the same person. You could of just put both questions in the same thread which would avoid clogging up the thread. 👍

These are two different questions, one is a racing setup and now this one is a drift setup with the addition of an Aerodynamics kit question directed at drifters.

Oh ya and by the way who are you my mother? People like you clog up the threads.

-Edit- Can I ban people from my threads?

These are two different questions, one is a racing setup and now this one is a drift setup with the addition of an Aerodynamics kit question directed at drifters.

Oh ya and by the way who are you my mother? People like you clog up the threads.

-Edit- Can I ban people from my threads?

They are both in the same forum (drifting forum) in which they are about the same thing so it is you that are clogging up forum space, and no you cant ban people from your threads. Also there are threads already were you can request drift car setups so you have actually created two threads needlessly. Thankyou and a good day to you sir.
P.S. No I am not your mother but I can be if you so wish.

They are both in the same forum (drifting forum) in which they are about the same thing so it is you that are clogging up forum space, and no you cant ban people from your threads. Also there are threads already were you can request drift car setups so you have actually created two threads needlessly. Thankyou and a good day to you sir.
P.S. No I am not your mother but I can be if you so wish.

I need not explain myself.. to you.. the threads can speak for themselves. People who clog up the threads are called trolls. You are trolling. Please troll, move on to your next mindless cpu spam.

-Edit- I didn't mind that you reported me since I do more than troll forums all night.

Let me actually assist in answering the question. While the pop up wing helps with braking and aerodynamics, it is also inconsistent.
When it pops down halfway through a low speed drift the results can be spinnage, which we all know is bad!
As for what DrifterzZ said, he is correct. One thread titled "SLR McLaren setup help" would have been sufficient.
Even requesting a setup in the setup thread would have been sufficient. But this question is answered, the politics is up to you 👍

I don't think you realize how small a role aerodynamics play in drifting. You're hardly ever going fast enough for them to be effective, and even when you are the angle of attack is all jacked up and sideways.

Let me actually assist in answering the question. While the pop up wing helps with braking and aerodynamics, it is also inconsistent.
When it pops down halfway through a low speed drift the results can be spinnage, which we all know is bad!
As for what DrifterzZ said, he is correct. One thread titled "SLR McLaren setup help" would have been sufficient.
Even requesting a setup in the setup thread would have been sufficient. But this question is answered, the politics is up to you 👍

No obviously it wouldn't have been enough since the question is still not answered.
Listen I get it that the pop up stock aerokit helps for braking and for aero, but the question still remains.. has anyone actually drifted this car before.. and do you use an aftermarket spoiler? Did you test the car before, and after the spoiler?? If not you can not answer this question.. thanks for trying though.

--Edit-- TakenshiSkunk --> Take a car that you already have tuned for drifting (That has an after market spoiler) and buy another one. Tune it the exact way as your first car with the exception of installing a spoiler. Go checkout the huge difference... then think about this SLR Mclaren car stock, not having an aero kit through low speed turns (the car will spin out more, with greater angle but may be uncontrollable) basically I need someone who has already ran these test.

Last edited:
I wouldn't have answered if i hadn't drifted it!!! As i said the pop up is too inconsistent, use the aftermarket one. That way downforce is adjustable (i dont think the pop up is) and can be tweaked to help you drift. The SLR is a bit of a pig to stop without the pop up though 👍

I wouldn't have answered if i hadn't drifted it!!! As i said the pop up is too inconsistent, use the aftermarket one. That way downforce is adjustable (i dont think the pop up is) and can be tweaked to help you drift. The SLR is a bit of a pig to stop without the pop up though 👍

Did you ever tune yours for drifting? Insert all settings for drifting this car in the next post please. :)

--Edit-- TakenshiSkunk --> Take a car that you already have tuned for drifting (That has an after market spoiler) and buy another one. Tune it the exact way as your first car with the exception of installing a spoiler. Go checkout the huge difference... then think about this SLR Mclaren car stock, not having an aero kit through low speed turns (the car will spin out more, with greater angle but may be uncontrollable) basically I need someone who has already ran these test.

The spoiler is not going to make a big enough difference in the way your car handles for drifting to be an issue either way, it's not going to make or break a car. None of my current drift cars even have spoilers.

If you feel that it does indeed have a significant effect, then you obviously prefer it one way or another and should just go with whichever you like better. It's pretty easy to test both ways. Drifting is all about preference, so the opinion of someone else is not necessarily going to help you all that much. Just go with whatever you feel works better.

Personally I only ever put aero parts on drift cars for appearance. I've seen plenty of drift cars just tear it up with huge sections of body completely absent, aerodynamics really are not a big deal when you're going sideways...we have people drifting Volvo Estates and Honda Odysseys around here.

Ya I'm just lazy, I'd like another opinion by someone who has done these test with this car. Also waiting for that post so I can get a drift tune ><

I need not explain myself.. to you.. the threads can speak for themselves. People who clog up the threads are called trolls. You are trolling. Please troll, move on to your next mindless cpu spam.

-Edit- I didn't mind that you reported me since I do more than troll forums all night.

Well I would be offended by this but i'm not as you are new to this forum and have already broken the rules. Wereas I am not and have actually made good contributions to the forum.
Definition of troll: In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking other users into a desired emotional response.
All I did was suggest you combine the two threads into one. But this doesn't really matter because you will probably just move onto some other forum or forget about GTP like some new users like yourself. Good day

"People don't need to know "what kind of person he is", and they don't need you to tell them. Don't go around trying to be a moderator by pointing out all the flaws and AUP violations of a post. All you're going to do is call the intentions of the actual moderators down upon you. Let us deal with it instead." Interludes

Nice try bro the mods don't like when you take their job, I'm sure they are doing just fine without you.
Nobody cares about what kind of person I am, it's not like were going to be room mates.. creepy guy.

Unsubscribe to this post now Driftterzz thanks move on buddy!

Further proof you can't read. That was about a different case not involving you. I merely pointed out to you that putting two questions in one thread would save space. You then became abusive. If you look at the definition of trolling it says that someone will post comments to provoke someone else. You have quite clearly researched my latest post, i.e, you have intentionally and needlessly posted to provoke me. So it is actually you who is the troll and you that is the creep for searching my latest actions.
I also do not wish to be a moderator as I do not have the time.
I also do not wish to be room mates as I am very particular on who I share company. I have also not subscribed to this thread as I have no need to so it would be impossible to unsubscribe.
Thankyou

"People don't need to know "what kind of person he is", and they don't need you to tell them. Don't go around trying to be a moderator by pointing out all the flaws and AUP violations of a post. All you're going to do is call the intentions of the actual moderators down upon you. Let us deal with it instead." Interludes

Nice try bro the mods don't like when you take their job, I'm sure they are doing just fine without you.
Nobody cares about what kind of person I am, it's not like were going to be room mates.. creepy guy.

Unsubscribe to this post now Driftterzz thanks move on buddy!
Though as members of GTP, we made a choice to follow the AUP. As a Veteran Member, I like to "warn" incoming and current members about the AUP, I try to follow it as best as I can.

Back