VCRC T#3 Nissan Fairlady Z 300ZX (Z31) '83 - Champion BrandonW77!

United States
Pennsylvania
wat3rm370n
Vintage Car Race Club
Nissan Fairlady Z 300ZX (Z31) '83 Championship

Tournament #3
not necessary to commit to every tournament each week

Complete! Congratulations Champion BrandonW77
See Results HERE

Schedule:
February 12th - Sunday 9am PST / 12pm noon EST / 5pm GMT / 6pm CET

nissanfairlady83-0s.jpg

approximately 90 minutes duration for the event
race start time after about 20 minutes free run warm up qualifying
3 races, approx. 10-20 minutes each race with 3-5 minute breaks inbetween

Race 1: Autumn Ring Reverse - 12 laps
Race 2: Grand Valley Speedway - 7 laps
Race 3: Autodromo Nazionale Monza - 4 laps

1st: 14, 2nd: 12, 3rd: 11, 4th: 10, 5th: 9, 6th: 8, 7th: 7, 8th: 6, 9th: 5, 10th: 4, 11th: 3, 12th: 2

Settings & Restrictions:
Nissan Fairlady Z 300ZX (Z31) '83
comfort soft tires
no tuning / modifications forbidden / upgrades prohibited
only ABS & driving line allowed (driver's choice)
damage off
slipstream weak
penalty off
grip real
reverse grid order after 1st race
Rules: GTP OLR Rules

Race will be hosted in the VCRC Lounge, add PSN: VCRC

If you have trouble finding the car, but want to participate, let us know.
I have a few spares, and likely others do too. :embarrassed:)

Sign-up:
GTP name / PSN name / car colour

= watermelonpunch / wat3rm370n / Lime Light
= Johnnypenso / Yuritardid / 70s FireChicken
= ID_Racing / ID_Racing / (to be decided whimsically)
= GTsail290 / GTsail2 / WR Blue Mica
= BrandonW77 / BrandonW77 / (to be decided before bounty is issued)
= TyrrellRacing / TyrrellRacing / (tbd)
=
=
=
=
=
=

Join the VCRC if you're interested in the planning the future selection of cars & tracks for these Tournaments,
or if you're just interested in meeting others interested in racing a variety of vintage cars.

Last edited:
Sign me up, I'll be there, work permitting:tup: I think I'll go with Purple/Gold and make that my standard colour scheme from now on..just like a 70's FireChicken...:crazy:

I'm offering a special award for this tournament!
The prize will be your choice of a 'special' paint chip. I have chrome silver, and a few mattes to choose from.
(Sorry no matte 70s firechicken.)

The stipulation is that all the following criteria must be met:

• You must win 1st place for championship points :)
  • You must be someone other than Johnnypenso :lol:
  • Johnnypenso must compete in the championship, and finish all 3 races & not win for pts ;)
  • You must win fair & square, of course - no spikes in anyone's pit exit. :sly:
Just making sure I up the incentive for interfering with a possible 3-in-a-row.

They'll be coming for you Johnnypenso! :lol:
flamingtorches.gif

Last edited:
As of right now, I won't be making this one due to work... Debating on taking the PS3 to the station and setting it up in the training room, complete with ceiling mounted projector and 5.1 surround sound. Knowing my luck, we'd be busy all day if I tried it...

Won't make this one. Had fun with the old Z's-lots of fast racers in this bunch.

The prize will be your choice of a 'special' paint chip. I have chrome silver, and a few mattes to choose from.

• Johnnypenso must compete in the championship, and finish all 3 races & not win for pts ;)

flamingtorches.gif

:lol::cool::cheers:

Sign me up Punch!

I've got a little used '83 Fairlady Z sitting in the back of my garage. I will dust it off and paint it WR Blue Mica.

I'm unlikely to knock anyone off the podium, but perhaps my "middle of the pack" racing skills will provide a rolling roadblock for you know who..... when he has to come thru the field during race # 2.

Respectfully,
GTsail

Last edited:
ROFL, johnny, how about a deal, you let me win the next, and we'll split the prize? 💡:cool:

flamingtorches.gif

ROFL, johnny, how about a deal, you let me win the next, and we'll split the prize? 💡:cool:
Does that mean only half of your car will be painted in the prize color? :lol:

I'm in for this one, but I probably won't be trying to win as I don't want a bounty placed on my head. :nervous:

BrandonW77 / BrandonW77 / TBD

Tracks posted:

Race 1: Autumn Ring Reverse (laps tbd)
Race 2: Grand Valley Speedway (laps tbd)
Race 3: Autodromo Nazionale Monza (laps tbd)

Boy do I have my work cut out for me. :lol:

I did a tad of practicing on Autumn Ring Reverse... It was quite fun. Though it got a little hairy when I tried to push it. At one point I thought I was going to have to get out of my car, blow up a box van & then go find a prostitute. :lol:

Boy do I have my work cut out for me. :lol:

I did a tad of practicing on Autumn Ring Reverse... It was quite fun. Though it got a little hairy when I tried to push it. At one point I thought I was going to have to get out of my car, blow up a box van & then go find a prostitute. :lol:

If driving the Nissan gets that bad Punch.....you can always fall back on the preferred GT5 method of indicating your displeasure with the racing action.........

.....throw your controller thru the TV screen!

Respectfully,
GTsail

:lol: It's not that bad... The car isn't too disagreeable. But it can get a bit wild on Autumn Ring Reverse. haha. Especially since I sometimes suddenly confuse it with Autumn Ring forward momentarily. :boggled:
I didn't actually spot any box vans though, or any mobsters, and as far as I know, I wasn't equipped with a bazooka or baseball bat.

I drove all three tracks to get an idea of laptimes. Just 3 or 4 laps each. Autumn Ring will separate the men and women from the boys and girls for sure. Almost every corner is oversteer on command or induced by the cambered apex of many corners. To get a good time you're going to have to fling the car around a bit there. Not like you can avoid it, so I'd suggest a bit of practice there for sure. Exiting the loop and the next two right handers are tricky, as is the esses.

Note: I did look for prostitutes..not saying if I found any though..:rolleyes:

:sly:

Yeah, I'm glad you said that about flinging about some hinky cambered apexes. I found I got a better time instantly, when I started kind of ... not sure what the proper lingo is, but sort of a controlled shift sliding pivot thing through some of those turns. The car wants to do it, it's not like you can avoid it, so I found it was just best to make the most of it, as is.
And I guess that's what no tuning racing is about! :D

FYI: The voting for Tournament #4 is taking place in the VCRC forum... and it's starting to really veer toward the Ford RS200 '84... And let me tell you, it will spoil us. It's very nice handling. And I don't even like 4wds. It's got tidy-steer. ;o)

Last edited:
I voted for the RS200 and I'm not even sure I have one that's still stock:nervous: Guess I better check...

Found one...:)

Last edited:
Well, I'm having fun with this car. :D Others... perhaps not so much. :lol:
Oddly, my best time yet in the Fairlady 83 on Autumn Ring Reverse... I got during a heavy bout of daydreaming. Suddenly I didn't remember the lap at all, but looked at the time & realized I'd just beaten my previous best time by over 1 second. Then, I started to notice that if I kept daydreaming, my lap times got significantly better & more consistent. :boggled:
Don't worry, I'm not planning on daydreaming during the race. :guilty: ha!
I just wonder if maybe in a car such as this, just driving the track is more useful than being overly attentive to trying to control the car. Because, the car does not want to be pinned down. I think the Fairlady just wants to be free! :D

Well, I'm having fun with this car. :D Others... perhaps not so much. :lol:
Oddly, my best time yet in the Fairlady 83 on Autumn Ring Reverse... I got during a heavy bout of daydreaming. Suddenly I didn't remember the lap at all, but looked at the time & realized I'd just beaten my previous best time by over 1 second. Then, I started to notice that if I kept daydreaming, my lap times got significantly better & more consistent. :boggled:
Don't worry, I'm not planning on daydreaming during the race. :guilty: ha!
I just wonder if maybe in a car such as this, just driving the track is more useful than being overly attentive to trying to control the car. Because, the car does not want to be pinned down. I think the Fairlady just wants to be free! :D

That's the case with a lot of things, if you stop concentrating hard and let your sub-conscious take over you usually do better. Your sub-conscious mind can react faster than your conscious mind and it's usually more precise too. If you do anything enough you will gain muscle memory which means you don't have to think about the action because your muscles know what to do. Ever notice when you get in your real car and go to put the key in the ignition that you don't have to look at the ignition but still slide the key right in? It's because you've done it so many times your muscles know exactly what actions to take. 👍

I have spares, but I can't send one until after midnight because the 1 car gifting per day was used up already for today. :mad: Will send it as soon as it lets me!

I want to join but I don't have the car, can anyone send me one please ?

TyrrellRacing -
I think I have a spare that I can send you. Send me a friend request (GTsail2) and I will send you the Nissan tonite.

GTsail

Funny how much better the Nissan seems to handle on GVS than Autumn Ring Reverse? Might be doing some laps tonight at Monza.

Yes, the car definitely likes Grand Valley Speedway a lot more than Autumn Ring Reverse.
Not saying I'm faster on GVS than on ARR... lol ;) ... But the car definitely seems a tad more behaved.
Only even tried Monza once... because I think the track is boring when there's no other cars on it. :lol:

With penalty off, its possible to drive right through the chicanes at Monza, which could lead to immense stewarding after the race. Not that anyone would do that on purpose, of course..:P..How about enforcing at least penalty: weak?

RE: The Chicanes @ Monza

I'm just going to give everyone a strong warning, that the race is only 4 laps long, and there's fast-foward & rewind to check out those chicanes. ;) haha!

So I will be enforcing a post-race penalty for any chicane cutting... if for no other reason than because it's totally unrealistic that the game let's you plow a car right over those speed bumps in a crazy line & gain time with little adverse effect. :boggled:

To avoid post-race penalty:
If you cut the chicane by accident and pass a car in the process, you should give the spot back A.S.A.P.
If you do it by accident, and don't pass a car, you should let off the throttle & then proceed normally. (ie: not just fly through like you got a freebie :sly: :lol:)

Clearly, nobody around here is going to be doing it on purpose, so I'm not worried about that.
(But of course that would be strongly frowned upon & penalized!)

Last edited:
Back