PS3 problem what is it?

United States
oshkosh/WI
MrWilso92
I was playng GT5 for an hour than switched to MW3 played a game and at the start of a 2nd match it with no warning turns off and the red light is blinking ? what happend is it overheating maybe but why no warning +the blinking light ?

Started it up again it did its disc check got on MW3 again played for like 10 min's and it shuts off again .

Last edited:
Sounds like its overheating. I suggest backing up any game saves you want. Don't worry about store purchases, you can redownload them free.

Yes, backup ASAP, dont even try to trouble shoot by playing games. Backup first then trouble shoot but like Caz said, its overheating. When it flashes yellow its dead.

Then im thinking i probably should'nt start another game up since it hasnt givin me a yellow light ive saved my stuff on an SD already . a little background though it an 80gb 4 years old had the thermal paste replased just last Nov (2011) so im some what surprised it started this now so early but it really wasnt unexpected but it does make me wonder if it aint somthing else like what this guy had.
http://community.us.playstation.com/message/37447309#37447309

I believe you are experiencing the 'Yellow Light of Death' or 'YLOD'. If you watch close as its shuts down, you'll see a very brief yellow light flash as its switching from green to red. It's caused from overheating, and GT is somewhat notorious for overheating PS3's. I recommend the same, back up what you can and then research how to repair it. There are multiple instructional vid's on YouTube that show you how to repair it. Good luck.

I would hold back from putting games in it for the moment because if it YLOD's your going to have a tough time getting it out.

The more recent the game the harder it pushes the system, plus with it being an 80GB it has the parts which run the hottest like the 60GB.

You said it had the thermal paste replaced recently, by you or someone else and what paste was used? It may have not been spread properly and its worth doing it again and giving it a quick internal dusting.

I would hold back from putting games in it for the moment because if it YLOD's your going to have a tough time getting it out.

The more recent the game the harder it pushes the system, plus with it being an 80GB it has the parts which run the hottest like the 60GB.

You said it had the thermal paste replaced recently, by you or someone else and what paste was used? It may have not been spread properly and its worth doing it again and giving it a quick internal dusting.

i did the application myself it was that silver 5 stuff (forgot the name) put JUSt enoff not to run over the edge center dot style
but before i did the pasting it was giving me freezing problems on the net and just being plane so while loading anything which is why im not super surprised by this recent development.

i did the application myself it was that silver 5 stuff (forgot the name) put JUSt enoff not to run over the edge center dot style
but before i did the pasting it was giving me freezing problems on the net and just being plane so while loading anything which is why im not super surprised by this recent development.

I also used Artic Silver 5 but I spread it fully over the whole square and slightly thicker than I would for a PC because there is a design fault with the fatty's heatsink which means the gap between it and the CPU/GPU is HUGE.

If this was happening before it could be loose connections on the board due to the lead free solder.

Robin.

Well new details
After those overheating events i added more thermal paste to what was on there. and since oh march ive put alot of hour's of GT5 and even a few hours of BF3 with no problem's.

Im still sceptical of it so im working on getting a new PS3 very soon.

This is how i've been runnig my PS3 for about 3 three year's now (the time/date isnt set on my camera so ignore it )
IMAG0273.jpg

Try this if you don't want to take apart your PS3 (which will void warranty/you could mess something up if you don't know what you are doing)

KEEPING PS3 CLEAN OF DUST
(you could use this to cool your system off by repeating this)
This will not hurt your PS3 at all trust me I do it to mine because it really does keep it clean

Fat model PS3s
1. Take any USBs flash drives and disc out of the ps3 then turn the ps3 off.
2.Then flip power switch on the back
3. Then hold your finger on the EJECT button and while holding your finger on the eject button flip the power switch.

On a slim model PS3.
1. Take your USBs and disc out of the ps3 and turn it off.
2. Then unplug the cord.
3. Then press and hold the eject button down and plug it back in while holding your finger on that button.

4. (last step for both PS3s)
The fan will review really high for about 30 seconds and the system may beep a couple times (i have a fat model and it does it should on the slim but i am not sure) after the fan stops flip the switch on the back of the ps3 (fat model) or unplug and plug ps3 back in (slim model) then turn system on like normal

I say just keep it clean, have it standing up and you should not have any problems I have a fat one can play GT5 and the new games without it running hot.

Endless-Wilso
I would not recomend any of that.

Its not good for the disc drive.

It doesn't harm the disc drive at all.

Hints why i said remove disc's and flash drives. Trust me it is programed into the playstation too.

Last edited:
So this is somthing a friend of mine did.
user216313_pic52722_1351861659.jpg

And I thought well doesn't that defeat or make the fan less effective because it needs more pressure to pull air from inside the unit?

Heres my PS3 from the top the plastic was removed for over the power supply.
IMAG0338.jpg

With fan and top piece acting as a shrowd.
IMAG0339-2.jpg

And my solution to the bottom.
IMAG0333-1.jpg

A smaller whole just infront of the fan so more air can be fed in the right direction.
IMAG0335-1.jpg

From my experience when it shuts off then blinks red the system is about to go because the CPU or GPU is lifting off the board. My Phat went 3 years before it did that. I backed up my saves & as soon as I was done doing that it YLOD. Time to get a slim which run MUCH better than the phats.

Back