*SOLD* My 2004 Blue "Premium" WRX. *SOLD*

CAMAROBOY69

Premium
United States
Michigan
CAMAROBOY69
**SOLD 1/24/15**

As most know, a BLUE Subaru Imreza WRX 04 - 05 is almost impossible to find in Michigan and I have been looking for many years. These cars are basically a unicorn around here especially in BLUE. After years of searching, I finally found one! On top of that this is the "Premium" edition. The body is in 99% perfect condition. Which is amazing for a car this year. It has quite a few performance goodies. Most I dont understand yet since this is my first tubo. But I will learn.

2004 Subaru Impreza WRX "Premium" edition (Updated 6/24/14) New Group N trans mount, motor mounts, pitch stop mount, and Kartboy crossmember bushings.
  • Color is World Rally Blue
  • $9,000 purchase price
  • Estimated 280-290hp
  • 170,000 miles on car when purchased (Now 180,000).
  • 5 speed manual (used trans with 80k miles installed at 173,000 miles)
  • Competition stage 2 clutch (Brand new installed at 173k miles)
  • ACT flywheel (resurfaced when new clutch was installed at 173k miles)
  • Prodrive 1" Lowering springs
  • Sun roof / moon roof
  • Heated seats
  • Heated front wiper defroster
  • Alarm
  • Keyless entry
  • VF34 turbo.
  • Turbo XS flex up pipe.
  • Bell mouth down pipe.
  • Aps intercooler.
  • Sti Hood scoop with liquid sprayer for intercooler system.
  • Aps blow off recirculating valve.
  • Sti pink injectors.
  • 3" exhaust pipe.
  • Magnaflow muffler.
  • Walbro 255 fuel pump.
  • Perrin inter cooler Y pipe.
  • Perrin inlet pipe.
  • Koyo gen 2 radiator
  • K & N air filter
  • Wide Band
  • Accessport
  • New Cabin filter
  • Brand new black lug nuts for summer wheels.
  • Moog greasable Sway bar end link driver side
  • Kartboy Short throw shifter
  • Kartboy front shifter bushings
  • Kartboy rear shifter bushings
  • New front brakes
  • New front dual piston calipers
  • Also comes with an extra set of wheels with brand new snow tires.
  • Kartboy crossmember bushings.
  • Group N transmission mount.
  • STI Group N motor mounts.
  • STI Group N Pitch stop mount.

Most recent update 4/21/14 New black lug nuts and neihbors sons viper.
View attachment 145219

View attachment 145218
View attachment 145217

View attachment 145220

Previous update 7/22/13 Blue WRX painted onto calipers
2zthwub.jpg

Previous update 7/12/13

o0co7o.jpg

I love these next two pics. Shows the really bright blue.
4kfmmc.jpg

2zywvaf.jpg

Previous update 7/8/13
New Enkei black painted wheels. I LOVE how these turned out!!! :)

flc2mx.jpg

zv52s2.jpg

2hcqcyr.jpg

2ec0msl.jpg

qrbz4m.jpg

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Previous update 7/2/13.
Primed and painted horns flat black. Buffed headlights.
2igoml4.jpg

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Previous update 7/1/13

2nuppg4.jpg

2hcdsfq.jpg

rss9i8.jpg

Very first time I looked at the car. Purchased shortly after. Next to Heathers silver Subaru RS.

mt1bmp.jpg

2iazqyf.jpg

5zqh4z.jpg

Last edited:
Awesome!!!!!! How much did you get them for? What are your plans for them?

Congrats bro! What are you plans for this car?
Ty. It will be my daily driver. I don't have any plans to road track it or abuse it. However I am planning on painting the current flat black wheels, gloss black to see if I like the look. If I don't I can always paint them flat black again.
Awesome!!!!!! How much did you get them for? What are your plans for them?
I already owned the silver Subaru RS and gave it to my wife. This thread is about the blue Subaru WRX. I got the blue WRX with all the goodies and another set of tires and wheels for $9,000. I will put the price in the first post.

I forgot to ask, why was it difficult to find this color? I would have thought finding this car in white would have been more difficult?

I forgot to ask, why was it difficult to find this color? I would have thought finding this car in white would have been more difficult?
I think its because almost everyone wants blue including myself. So I have been looking for about 8+ years trying to find one for a decent price that was not damaged. Most are usually going for around 10k-11k in price. I got so lucky and found this about 5 miles from my house on craigslist.

I just cant believe how incredible the paint job is on this car. This is by far the nicest paint job I have had on any of the vehicles I have owned.

Someone bypassed the catalytic converter with a straight pipe. 2 out of the 3 exhaust gaskets are leaking so its running a little rough. Going to bring it to my neighbors shop this week and we plan to bypass ALL the collectors with new stainless steel pipe. This means it will have no exhaust gaskets. I did this with my Camaro too and it works very well. Also might get some cans of undercoating and spray under the car while it is on the lift. Or I might have the car Ziebarted. Not sure yet.

Also currently working on a sub box. Need to get an amp and install the radio I pulled out of my Silver Subaru. Lots to do. I love this car so much. Out of all the cars I have owned, this is one of my favorite. And the best part is that it can be driven ALL year round. :)

Last edited:
That is just awesome of all places it could have been it was right down the road from you.

I agree. Even more insane is the fact that I found this car the exact same day I sold my wife's Saturn. Its a miracle this all worked so well. This blue WRX is a unicorn in this area.

I agree. Even more insane is the fact that I found this car the exact same day I sold my wife's Saturn. Its a miracle this all worked so well. This blue WRX is a unicorn in this area.

It's odd how things tend to workout. I had something similar happen to me when I was in the market for a motorcycle two years ago. For months I had been looking for a specific bike and had no luck finding one in the entire state (Arizona). I even looked in California but found one that was a bit above my budget in Texas. Fast forward several months later, two weeks before Christmas five of these bikes show up for sale in Arizona and the least expensive one is only 10 mins away. Needless to say that's the one I purchased.

On another note, checkout the following links for some sub enclosure ideas...

Nice paint job on the 69 I've got a 68 almost the same color (been hid in basement since 82 waiting on money for repairs) Only parts I don't have are the original carb, alternator, and radiator.

Beautiful WRX! I'm sure you'll enjoy it. I love my Legacys and can't wait to get the turbo engine rebuilt out of the 92 to stick into my new 93. :)

White is damn near impossible to find on this body style. I looked forever.

Congrats! I love it! Nice color, and that's the best year too. :dopey:

It's odd how things tend to workout. I had something similar happen to me when I was in the market for a motorcycle two years ago. For months I had been looking for a specific bike and had no luck finding one in the entire state (Arizona). I even looked in California but found one that was a bit above my budget in Texas. Fast forward several months later, two weeks before Christmas five of these bikes show up for sale in Arizona and the least expensive one is only 10 mins away. Needless to say that's the one I purchased.

On another note, checkout the following links for some sub enclosure ideas...
Yes its amazing how some things work out. Thanks for the links. I already built a sub box for my wifes Subaru so I am building the exact same one for mine.

Nice paint job on the 69 I've got a 68 almost the same color (been hid in basement since 82 waiting on money for repairs) Only parts I don't have are the original carb, alternator, and radiator.

I know how it goes. I have had the Camaro for almost 13 years and I just put a little in here and there. It has been in epoxy primer for a long time which helps seal the car very well from rust. I don't even plan on selling my Camaro.

DKX
Beautiful WRX! I'm sure you'll enjoy it. I love my Legacys and can't wait to get the turbo engine rebuilt out of the 92 to stick into my new 93. :)
Thank you. Yes the Legacys are also very nice.

White is damn near impossible to find on this body style. I looked forever.

Congrats! I love it! Nice color, and that's the best year too. :dopey:
Thank you. Your STI thread actually helped motivate me again. I agree the 04-05 are the best looking years IMO. Its insane the attention this car gets everywhere I go. In a good way.

Started working on improvements last night. The green horns were ugly imo so I decided to sand, primer, and paint them last night. Had to remove about 16 bolts and nuts. Then went with primer and flat black. Very happy with the results.

Before yuck
9utftu.jpg

After yeah!
2zgdpwo.jpg

Front view. Also polished the headlights a little. Still cant believe how clean this body is.
2igoml4.jpg

Had a couple tuner guys over last night helping to dial in the engine. We reset the computer and its running a bit better. Tonight I will be taking the car to my neighbors shop and running all new 3" stainless steel exhaust pipe to replace all the collectors from turbo to muffler. The ONLY gasket will be behind the turbo. I will get pics tonight from under the car for sure.

After much thought, I will be painting those thin 10 spoke wheels gloss black and putting those onto the car for summer. The current stock style black wheels will get painted silver for winter driving.

Last edited:
As most know, a BLUE Subaru Imreza WRX 04 - 05 is almost impossible to find in Michigan and I have been looking for many years. These cars are basically a unicorn around here especially in BLUE. After years of searching, I finally found one! On top of that this is the "Premium" edition. The body is in 99% perfect condition. Which is amazing for a car this year. It has quite a few performance goodies. Most I dont understand yet since this is my first tubo. But I will learn. I gave my wife the silver Subaru.

2004 Subaru Impreza WRX Premium edition
$9,000
Estimated 280hp
5 speed manual
180,000 miles
Prodrive 1" Lowering springs
Sun roof
Heated seats
Heated wiper defroster
Alarm
Keyless entry
Vf34 turbo.
Turbo xs flex up pipe.
Bell mouth down pipe.
Aps intercooler.
Aps blow off recirculating valve.
Sti pink injectors.
3" exhaust pipe.
Magnaflow muffler.
Walbro 255 fuel pump.
Perrin inter cooler Y pipe.
Perrin inlet pipe.
Koyo gen 2 radiator
K & N filter
Also comes with a spare set of silver Enkei wheels and winter tires. I will be using those for winter for sure.

Nice car, congrats! The Turbo Xs Flex up pipe is one of the better ones, STI also makes a flex. What brand is the Bellmouth DP? Cobb, Perrin?

The VF34 turbo is good, someone did some serious work. What ECU tuning software are you using, open source?

Nice car, congrats! The Turbo Xs Flex up pipe is one of the better ones, STI also makes a flex. What brand is the Bellmouth DP? Cobb, Perrin?

The VF34 turbo is good, someone did some serious work. What ECU tuning software are you using, open source?
Thanks bro. As you know this has always been one of my dream cars and I have been looking for many years. Feels so good to finally have this car. Honestly the rest of your reply is in a different language to me. :lol: I really don't know much about the mods at all. Imports and turbos are brand new to me. I have never owned a turbo in my life so I have much to learn. Oh it also has something called a "wide band". I think he said he had it also hooked to the radio somehow. But I might have misunderstood. I took the stereo out and gave it to him. I will be putting in my own deck from Heathers Subaru. Any info anyone is willing to share with me about this car is greatly appreciated. :)

Wow, it blows my mind that you can get an '04 that nice for $9k. It feels like yesterday that I paid $18k used for my '02. I'm curious about engine management too.

A wideband is an air/fuel ratio sensor used in tuning engines, especially turbo ones. If there isn't a gauge for it in the car it's probably hooked directly into whatever ECU the car is running. I can't really explain much more than that unfortunately, I've always been much more of a suspension tuner and have never gone beyond simple bolt-ons with engine stuff.

Thanks bro. As you know this has always been one of my dream cars and I have been looking for many years. Feels so good to finally have this car. Honestly the rest of your reply is in a different language to me. :lol: I really don't know much about the mods at all. Imports and turbos are brand new to me. I have never owned a turbo in my life so I have much to learn. Oh it also has something called a "wide band". I think he said he had it also hooked to the radio somehow. But I might have misunderstood. I took the stereo out and gave it to him. I will be putting in my own deck from Heathers Subaru. Any info anyone is willing to share with me about this car is greatly appreciated. :)

What you are looking at is a car that was about 220 hp with the stock Turbo that has since been upgraded with a (bigger) VF34 Turbo (a good starter turbo with an improved ball bearing design, easily capable of 18.5 PSI, boost), and a better fuel Pump (walboro) to handle it. I'm assuming the stock up pipe had a pre-catalytic converter like my LGT does, it's good to swap for this reason because if a piece breaks off and flies into your turbo, then it's bye-bye turbo (this almost never happens though). The performance reason to swap it is that you get a faster spool of the turbo, about 200/300 ms faster, basically, you slightly reduce the lag.

You also have a bigger intercooler (I'm assuming because I know nothing about APS brand), which would be needed after upgrading the turbo.

My concerns would be with the exhaust, but it sounds like you are taking care of the seal leaks already. Some people (younger kids with less money) sometimes go cheap with the Down pipes and mufflers and get these ebay specials (which may or may not be good, hopefully it's at least 308 stainless steel). The mufflers sound fine, magna flow makes a good exhaust for your car, usually loud if that's what you are going for, some people prefer a quiter exhaust like the HKS silent power.

Pro Drive springs are nice, a little too low and too stiff for my taste, but on your car they probably work better. I went with STI pinks on the LGT because they drop the car about .75 (instead of 1.00 with the Pro Drives).

You should look into a good ECU tune with something like a Cobb Accessport (that's what I have), or another open source device

http://www.cobbtuning.com/Subaru-Accessport-p/ap-sub-001.htm

My other concern is that your car had a previous ECU map and the device may have been unmarried to your ECU before the previous owner sold it, which may be why it was running rough before you reset the ECU.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies and the helpful info. The catalytic converter has been bypassed and now is just a straight pipe with two welded in "Bungs" for sensors. I am bringing the car to my neighbors shop tonight so we can properly fix the exhaust. Currently it has an exhaust leak at all 3 of the exhaust gaskets after the turbo. We are bypassing ALL the gaskets tonight with 3" stainless steel pipe from turbo to muffler. The only the gasket we will have will be at the turbo. I will post pics tomorrow after we finish it tonight. Plus it will be interesting to see how the underside of the car looks. I was going to spray some undercoating but its been raining all day. So the undercoating will have to be another day.

Now that you mention "Accessport" that also rings a bell. I heard him saying that quite a bit. I wonder if that is the item I have in the glove box that hooks to the driver side plug under the steering wheel. Its like a mini computer that tells everything about the car. BTW I LOVE how this car sounds. It has a really nice muscle sound to it without sounding "ricey" or like a bee. It actually has a very impressive deep tone rumble and sounds even better as it is under load and accelerates. Love the exhaust. Cant wait to hear it sealed up after tonight. Oh also the car rides and handles very well. Right about the same as my wifes Subaru RS. I was nervous about the lowering kit but I was shocked how well it handles and rides with the lowering springs. After daily driving the Camaro for almost 2 straight weeks, this WRX feels like a luxury vehicle. lol

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies and the helpful info. The catalytic converter has been bypassed and now is just a straight pipe with two welded in "Bungs" for sensors. I am bringing the car to my neighbors shop tonight so we can properly fix the exhaust. Currently it has an exhaust leak at all 3 of the exhaust gaskets after the turbo. We are bypassing ALL the gaskets tonight with 3" stainless steel pipe from turbo to muffler. The only the gasket we will have will be at the turbo. I will post pics tomorrow after we finish it tonight. Plus it will be interesting to see how the underside of the car looks. I was going to spray some undercoating but its been raining all day. So the undercoating will have to be another day.

Now that you mention "Accessport" that also rings a bell. I heard him saying that quite a bit. I wonder if that is the item I have in the glove box that hooks to the driver side plug under the steering wheel. Its like a mini computer that tells everything about the car. BTW I LOVE how this car sounds. It has a really nice muscle sound to it without sounding "ricey" or like a bee. It actually has a very impressive deep tone rumble and sounds even better as it is under load and accelerates. Love the exhaust. Cant wait to hear it sealed up after tonight.

If that's what you have in the glove box then you are very lucky, most people unmarry them because they can sell them for $300 used. They have have to be unmarried before they can be sold or they are useless.

Yes, it's amazing how a boxer engine can sound, nice deep rumble, like a mini v8

Last edited:
I edited the previous post while you were replying. I edited it about the ride quality but I think its all info that was understandable. Okay so that "accessport" sounds like it is for sure the mini computer device sitting in my glove box. I will try to get pics of it tonight.

As for the boxer engine rumble. That was the one things the previous owner said he would miss was the way this car sounded. I was confused because I thought it was just the Magnaflow muffler that made it sound like that. He explained that really no other engines sound like that. He is building a civic CRX and he told me there was no way he could ever get his car to sound as good as the WRX no matter what he did. So its exciting that the way this car sounds really is unique to the WRX. The person that showed up yesterday had an EVO and even that car didn't sound quite as good as this WRX. I truly love how this car sounds.

Last edited:
Any chance it will see a track or drag strip? I'm interested in seeing what it will run compared to the Camaro and Mustang.

This is seriously making me want to sell my Truck and buy an older WRX, but I would at least have to wait until after the move at the end of this month because I will need the truck for the move.

Don't hate me for saying this, but your unicorn car is a dime a dozen here. :lol:

We have a dealership right down the street form my work that specializes in STI's, and Evos, some BMW's too, their lot is full of them. I know there is some blue ones in your same year too. Subarus are very popular in the PNW.

Any chance it will see a track or drag strip? I'm interested in seeing what it will run compared to the Camaro and Mustang.

Generally on average with STI's, 0-60 times will be low to mid 4s, and 1/4 mile would be mid to high 12s. This is with a stage 2 tune (turboback exahust, ECU tune etc).

His is heavily modified WRX (non-STI), so no idea unless he puts it on the dyno.

Drag is probably not the best thing to get serious with in a WRX, especially not one with power upgrades. They're capable of some pretty good times but launching them is hard on the transmission and differentials.

My suspicion is that his car should be pretty similar to a stock STI in terms of acceleration and 1/4 times.

This is seriously making me want to sell my Truck and buy an older WRX, but I would at least have to wait until after the move at the end of this month because I will need the truck for the move.

Don't hate me for saying this, but your unicorn car is a dime a dozen here. :lol:

We have a dealership right down the street form my work that specializes in STI's, and Evos, some BMW's too, their lot is full of them. I know there is some blue ones in your same year too. Subarus are very popular in the PNW.
Your Legacy is sick bro. I would just hold onto that and keep upgrading it if you feel you need to. ALso good luck with the move. Havent heard from you in a couple weeks online so I figured you were already moving.

Sheesh must be nice having blue WRX this year just falling from the trees around you. :lol: This car is such a rare unicorn in this area, its probably already marked for someone to steal. hahah

Drag is probably not the best thing to get serious with in a WRX, especially not one with power upgrades. They're capable of some pretty good times but launching them is hard on the transmission and differentials.

My suspicion is that his car should be pretty similar to a stock STI in terms of acceleration and 1/4 times.
Yeah drag is out of the question for many reasons as I listed in this reply above. I agree that it is probably fairly close in speed to an STI. Which is fine with me. Its like having the power of the STI for the price of a WRX. 👍 If I feel I really need to get some more road track time in, I can just hop in the Camaro at any time.

But I do truly love this WRX. The paint is so close to perfect that I am actually afraid to wash the car. Luckily it has been raining a lot lately. I have never owned a car with this nice of a paintjob. I have had a few nice cars but nothing this nice. So I am going to have to learn how to wash and wax cars all over again. haha

So I am going to have to learn how to wash and wax cars all over again. haha

I use Meguire's Gold class car wash, not a big deal but I would definitley use a good polymer sealant instead of wax, easier to work with and lasts up to a few months longer.

On the truck, I do love having a truck, but the main reason I bought it was to get a 20-25ft camping trailer but I held off buying one until I saw what house we would be buying. I'm glad I did, while my current house has a huge RV parking area, the new house does not, which is why I am considering selling it now. I probably won't though, it's nice having a truck.

Also, I have no reason to sell the Legacy, so no worries there. It's paid off and only has 41K miles. Going on 8 years of ownership and it still has that new car smell. One thing I am very happy about with the new house is that I will finally have a 3 car garage (Tandem). If I did buy another car I would probably get 2000-2001 RS coupe and convert it to a widebody 22B STI, that is my dream car.

Last edited:
Speaking of the paint, be careful with it, Subaru paint (especially World Rally Blue) is notoriously easy to damage. My WRX looked like somebody had attacked it with sandpaper by the time I sold it. It might be worth getting protectant film or one of those protective coating sprays to protect it from rock chips.

Oh, that also reminds me, you may already know this but don't let anybody sit or lean on the hood or front fenders. The aluminum dents easily, can't really be fixed if it does, and replacements are crazy expensive and then are hard to paint match.

Welcome to the family, great looking Rex you got there. My wagon has pretty much the same mods or at least the same build concept they are great cars that have a lot to offer. If you get into Nasioc look me up Ridin_the_short_bus is my username on there.

I'm fairly savvy in the world of scooby's, I'm always down to help someone figure out problems so feel free to hit me up.

Last edited:
Congratulations, that's a great looking car. I'm partial to the bugeyes personally but that is just one mans opinion.

As a matter of fact, I just test drove two WRX's today. The first was a black '02 WRX wagon (same body style as my current Impreza OBS) 5spd, 130K miles, owner has all the maintenance records and it was immaculate. He is asking $10K. The second was a gray sedan with 170K miles, an automatic (I didn't even know they made automatic Rex's) fairly decent shape and he was asking $4.5K. I leaning towards the wagon because not only is it in better shape with less miles, it also has all the maintenance records (from a reputable import shop) as well as a manual transmission. I have nothing against automatics and the auto in the WRX seemed to work just fine but I think this car would be much more enjoyable with a 5spd.

Sorry, this thread isn't about making my decision, it is about your awesome new car. Do they salt the roads where you are? If so, any plans on a winter driver to keep this one as clean as it is?

Back