• Poll closed .
United States
Texas
Skoda Octavia vRS nominated by KM964

Skoda-Octavia-RS-%23.jpg

Stats:
Production: 2013/2014+
Style: 4-Door Sedan, 5-Door Wagon
Engine: Turbocharged 2.0L I4 TSI (217 HP), Turbocharged 2.0L I4 TDI (180 HP)
Transmission: 6-Speed Manual, 6-Speed DSG
Layout: Front-engine; Front-drive or All-wheel-drive

WTF? Why's this here? Simple, I had a bit of a revelation over the last 30 hours. In that time I remembered what I am, an idiot without an original idea to my name that poisons and kills everything he touches. The Cool Wall concept, as Jeremy Clarkson has put it, isn't a Democracy, it's a Dictatorship. But unlike a few members, say Tornado, I don't have the standing make it so without being banned. So I took it the opposite direction, and in doing so have basically impaled it on a spire. So, unless one of you has enough want to take it over, the Cool Wall will be put down once the quere has been cleared.

Top Gear Magazine

Last edited:
I might consider taking it over but I'm not sure I'm up to the task haha. Damn though, I was looking forward to making another nomination.

Anyways, this car is just boring. Nothing stands out. Mixes in with the crowd and just doesn't scream anything interesting. Seriously uncool.

I might consider taking it over but I'm not sure I'm up to the task haha. Damn though, I was looking forward to making another nomination.

Anyways, this car is just boring. Nothing stands out. Mixes in with the crowd and just doesn't scream anything interesting. Seriously uncool.

Really? I think this car stands out a lot.:confused:

Maybe to you, but to me it looks like most other production cars these days, with similar transmissions, drivetrains, and horsepower.

Blends right in.

Everyone has a right to their own opinion though :)

I've seen the ads and I just hear: 'Have European quality without the price tag'

If only that could redeem itself with that. They are so bland, so dull, so boring. Even if this is a good car and it excels in what it wants to achieve no one will take notice. I honestly think its a waste of time, because Skoda isn't the first thing you'd think of for a sports saloon. That Skoda badge is really holding it back.

Uncool to me Its a Skoda and skoda's over here does not work let alone any Euro car other than BMW ,Audi, Mercedes and Porsche and it is boring just an another An Euro Saloon which blends in And im thinking with Turbos its unreliable and ery Expensive to fix if anything goes wrong

I honestly think its a waste of time, because Skoda isn't the first thing you'd think of for a sports saloon.

You're right. It's not the first marque that comes to mind.

However, if you told me to think of a "sporty family hatch", or even "estate" - which is what the Octavia vRS is - then it would probably spring to mind sooner rather than later.

That Skoda badge is really holding it back.

I don't think that's been the case since the late 90s.

That said, the latest iteration doesn't appear to have the same level of charm I feel the first gen vRS had. Or even the second gen. They all have relatively sensible designs with few visual additions over the standard Octavia. But even with those additions, the latest one still looks bland as hell.

The only one I'd definitely vote cool for is the vRS based on the first gen. It's certainly aged better than expected.

Skoda. The word alone sends shivers down my spine. Sub-zero, as is any car from what is currently, quite simply, the best car manufacturer out there.

These cars have a VW drivetrain in them, right? It looks ok but not cool and the stats are a bit underwhelming.

<------------------ Clueless American.

If I had more freetime and wasn't hated by some members here LOL I would take over the cool wall.

In fairness to Skoda, they make good cars. Good quality for the price.

But, I would stop short of calling them the best. I believe that the best 2013/2014 manufacturer is Subaru. :grumpy: I admit defeat, (Mitsubishi fan) and I plan on working for a Subaru dealership. Second best, yeah, probably Skoda.

Always loved these things. The very definition of a Q-Ship. This one looks aggressive, but still rather more understated than other performance sedans.

Great car. Looks of the current gen maybe a tad too snorty and overflared, certainly not as cool as the first gen, but still a great car.

Besides, any 'hot' version of a compact executive which is under the radar or not as ubiquitous as an M3, S4 or C-Class AMG is somehow very appealing.
See also: Ford Mondeo ST200, Volvo 850R, Peugeot 405 Mi16

This is most definitely in that list. And if we're talking about under the radar, a Skoda badge is certainly under the radar. Very reputable badge these days, contrary to what people think.

Skoda... The best manufacturer?

Explain.

If you want Volkswagen build quality at Opel prices, buy a Skoda. Superb, Yeti and Octavia are some of the few cars which tick almost all boxes.

Cool. This is one of the only Skodas I like. I rode in a previous generation vRS and I liked it. Also the Octavia is actually based on a VW Golf with a bit more practicality, with the all new one sitting on VW's flexible MQB platform. This car is basically for people who find the Golf GTi too dull.

I actually quite like this new VRS, looks quite butch and muscular. Especially with them black rims.

-Cool from me.

Always loved these things. The very definition of a Q-Ship. This one looks aggressive, but still rather more understated than other performance sedans.
Which makes it uncool.

Any car that needs an explanation why it's special is uncool - explanations are boring. Now this wouldn't matter if you could dodge the explanation and just wave at the car, but it's wearing a Skoda badge and for Joe Q Public it's kinda hard to shake off the jokes from the early 1990s.

So it's a car that needs explaining from a manufacturer that people still joke about (unfairly)...

Skoda... The best manufacturer?

Explain.

All of the quality of a Volkswagen (and I mean pretty much all of it, sure, the Fabia sitting outside my house doesn't have as good a sound system as that big old Touran company car that I miss so much, but that was top of the range and fully speced out, rather than a budget supermini) but at a considerably lower price than a Volkswagen.

The only thing going against Skoda is that VW's are a bit better looking, but a huge lump of cash saved wins over having a better looking car.

Great car. Looks of the current gen maybe a tad too snorty and overflared, certainly not as cool as the first gen, but still a great car.

This is most definitely in that list. And if we're talking about under the radar, a Skoda badge is certainly under the radar. Very reputable badge these days, contrary to what people think.

If you want Volkswagen build quality at Opel prices, buy a Skoda. Superb, Yeti and Octavia are some of the few cars which tick almost all boxes.
Is there anything other than build quality and what boxes. Please don't tell me Clarkson got to you on the Yeti.

I like it and it's just a VW Jetta wearing some Eastern European clothes (I assume a track suit from the 80's and gold aviator glasses). I don't mind the car and if saw one I'd probably think it's cool, but to the average person it looks fairly vague. I'll give it a meh.

Meh.

My brother has the older model, in diesel.

It's fairly well equipped, good suspension. Engine is okay.

But nothing spectecular.

Back