1998-2000 Subaru Legacy GT-B

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
United States
Wasilla, AK
1998-2000 Subaru Legacy GT-B nominated by SVX

9602784266_3ce851ac5c_b.jpg

Stats:
Production: 1998-2000 (pre-facelift model)
Style: 5-door wagon
Engine: 122 CI/1,994 cc twin turbocharged flat-four (rated 280 HP & 253 lb-ft with manual transmision or 265 [260?] HP & 235 lb-ft with automatic transmission)
Transmission: 5-speed manual, 4-speed automatic
Layout: Front-engine, all-wheel-drive

Also note that, somehow, this car was somehow only about 90kg (that's, uh, about 198.5 lbs) heavier than a GDB Impreza STi Sedan. Predictably, it was fast. Tommykaria found this car quite interesting, at least interesting enough to manufacture body kits for it and even, apparently, its own specially-tuned variant.​

My take? Actually cool. Flat fours circumvent my normal displacement-based coolness rating system, for reasons I'm not entirely sure of (but which probably have something to do with their unique sound, which sounds a lot better than a typical inline 4 and suggests a much larger, torquier engine).

Also, fast wagon.

Wednesday, we do the car that could have saved Pontiac, but instead led to its removal from the GM brand roster. Stay tuned.

Sub fricken' zero.

I love these things to bits, I'm definitely going to make sure I get one some time in my life, with most definitely the 5 speed manual. My dad has a few of these, and how much quicker the manual + 20/15hp boost makes is actually quite apparent.

I also really like wagons. I like the practicality, and in my view it makes it seem more fun. Hot wagons/estates seem just a bit odd, where a sedan just seems like an obvious thing for performance and a bit mundaneish.

I do admit this example looks a bit 'nerdy', which is good how there was an optional spoiler:

$T2eC16FHJG!E9nm3pwfEBRBWf0P1Zg~~60_35.JPG

Which looks much, much better but doesn't give away the sleeper appeal.

This has just (annoyingly) reminded me of the shift away from the cool bodystyles. The coolest style of all is a 2-door coupe (or a very coupelike hatchback e.g. Dodge Shadow, Toyota Supra, etc.), unless you have one of the cars that doesn't completely lose its macho factor in becoming a convertible. A wagon is a close second, and if you're going to buy a long roof, it should be a wagon, not a hatchback. Unfortunately, the manufacturers are massively shifting toward 4-door sedans and 3/5-door hatchbacks, while abandoning the styling ideal of "longer, lower, wider" for "longer, taller, (visually at least) narrower".

Quite dull to look at and modestly brisk. The most middle of the road car out there.

Meh.

Nothing beats a fast wagon for sleeper value and this one is particularly good looking. A solid cool from me 👍

Edit: Little error in the poll, but great job on reviving the cool wall W&N. These threads breed some brilliant discussion

It's a wagon with sleeper power. Flat 4 gives it a cool otherwise it'd be meh.

Nice sound.

But, there aren't many phrases I find more annoying in the world of cars than "Sleeper Wagon" - and cars like this will constantly attract that phrase.

My take?

Sub Zero.

The power of an Impreza WRX WRRRIdon'tknowmanySubarusX STi, without making yourself look like a boy racer.

I like it. I would own and drive one if I could. I also didn't know the GT-B was twin turbocharged. However I just can't give it anymore then Cool. A Subaru will always appear as cool to me, but never to the point of sub-zero.

I also didn't know the GT-B was twin turbocharged.

Yep. That makes the GT and the GT VDC even more sleeper. The GT-B is just a GT with Bilstein suspension and no bodykit, which means it has the same engine. A mundane wagon doesn't seem much like a mundane wagon once you pop the hood, and embrace the twin turbochargers!

Sub Zero.

Probably my all time favorite Subaru. 👍 👍

These would probably be one of mine too, plus the SVX, XT, any Impreza STi and the Forester STi. :lol:

Sub-Zero:

It's a Subaru.
It's a Legacy.
It's a Wagon.
It's a Legacy Wagon.
It's a Subaru Legacy.
It's a Subaru Wagon.
It's a GT-B.
It's a Subaru Legacy GT-B Wagon.

I can see the appeal of Subarus; they're pretty reliable, and for vehicles that can deal with punishing conditions with ease, they're pretty economical. Their performance cars are some of the most practical you can buy. They certainly aren't exciting to look at, and in performance guise they look more like an economy car with tacked on bits rather than a true performance car. I like some wagons, but this isn't really one of them. I wouldn't turn it down if it were offered to me, but in that segment I'd rather have a V70R, or better yet a nice SUV. Exterior styling is meh, and a bit tacky with that hood scoop. Then there's the interior which is pretty dowdy to be honest. Certainly doesn't scream performance, but I guess that's the point. Peformance is pretty good, but I'd rather have something that isn't a Subaru. Subaru fanboyism is quite the turn-off as well.

Not necessarily interesting to look at, but it's a solid and dependable car. While it isn't interesting to look at, it's a step above "bland".

COOL

Subaru fanboyism is quite the turn-off as well.

Not as big a problem with the Legacy as it is with the Impreza WRX or STI.

Solidly cool. Would be Sub-zero if it were a Forester. :dopey:

Back