The Unofficial Opinions Forum Guide

• Thread starter Carl.
  • 41 comments
Guide to proper debates in the opinions forum v1.0

Well, since there are sticky guidelines threads for many forums around here, I figured that after 25000 posts (woot woot!), it's about time we get one for the opinions forums, don't you all think? :)

So for starters here, here are some tips to help you strongly make your point around here.

1. Name calling

That is one of the oldest tricks in the world, and a very successful one too. By repetively reminding your opponent, over a long period of time, hom much of a ****bag he really is, there's a good chances he'll finally get it! There lies the foundation of a mutual comprehension, and many notorious agreements have been made this way over time. For beginners, using "Idiot" or "tool" is a good place to start before getting into more advanced and educated terms.

To quote Socrates:

"Do not do to others what angers you if done to you by others, you stupid tools"

Only once he understood how much of a brain-depraved ****head he was that Plato became one of his follower.

Why go JohnBM01's way when you can make an effortless, concise point like:

"You're just a ****ing liberal democrat wussie."

"Stop being a fat blood-thirsty warmongering ass, for god's sake."

Advanced techniques of this include insulting third-party groups, or other nations to make the speaker realize that he's better off not being like them.
Now go pratice a little, you brainless turds. (see?) Master this one and I promise you'll pwn all over the place.👍

2. Cite great sources

Since your disagreeing (and stupid) opponent is most likely incapable of forming his own thoughts by himself (well, duh, he disagrees with you!), you can help him to finally get over the oxygen deprivation his brain had after birth by giving him well recognized, neutral sources of information and places to look at for unbiased information that he'll quickly swallow.

Examples of this:

"Haven't you seen Farenheit 911, you dumb fat slug?"

"Well, maybe. But Bill O'Reily said tonight that 68.2% of Canadians have had sexual intercourse with a beaver in 2003."

3. Repetion

Thoroughly repeat your thoughts on the issue (no real need to actually add something new to them), at least 10 times each over a thread. Over time, your opponent will become accustomed to hear your point, he'll finally get it. An advantage of this technique is that since it has already been demonstrated that your opponent has the IQ of a rocking chair, you may also try to copy/paste them from previous posts, for a time-savvy debate!Thoroughly repeat your thoughts on the issue (no real need to actually add something new to them), at least 10 times each over a thread. Over time, your opponent will become accustomed to hear your point, he'll finally get it. An advantage of this technique is that since it has already been demonstrated that your opponent has the IQ of a rocking chair, you may also try to copy/paste them from previous posts, for a time-savvy debate!Thoroughly repeat your thoughts on the issue (no real need to actually add something new to them), at least 10 times each over a thread. Over time, your opponent will become accustomed to hear your point, he'll finally get it. An advantage of this technique is that since it has already been demonstrated that your opponent has the IQ of a rocking chair, you may also try to copy/paste them from previous posts, for a time-savvy debate!Thoroughly repeat your thoughts on the issue (no real need to actually add something new to them), at least 10 times each over a thread. Over time, your opponent will become accustomed to hear your point, he'll finally get it. An advantage of this technique is that since it has already been demonstrated that your opponent has the IQ of a rocking chair, you may also try to copy/paste them from previous posts, for a time-savvy debate!Thoroughly repeat your thoughts on the issue (no real need to actually add something new to them), at least 10 times each over a thread. Over time, your opponent will become accustomed to hear your point, he'll finally get it. An advantage of this technique is that since it has already been demonstrated that your opponent has the IQ of a rocking chair, you may also try to copy/paste them from previous posts, for a time-savvy debate!Thoroughly repeat your thoughts on the issue (no real need to actually add something new to them), at least 10 times each over a thread. Over time, your opponent will become accustomed to hear your point, he'll finally get it. An advantage of this technique is that since it has already been demonstrated that your opponent has the IQ of a rocking chair, you may also try to copy/paste them from previous posts, for a time-savvy debate!Thoroughly repeat your thoughts on the issue (no real need to actually add something new to them), at least 10 times each over a thread. Over time, your opponent will become accustomed to hear your point, he'll finally get it. An advantage of this technique is that since it has already been demonstrated that your opponent has the IQ of a rocking chair, you may also try to copy/paste them from previous posts, for a time-savvy debate!Thoroughly repeat your thoughts on the issue (no real need to actually add something new to them), at least 10 times each over a thread. Over time, your opponent will become accustomed to hear your point, he'll finally get it. An advantage of this technique is that since it has already been demonstrated that your opponent has the IQ of a rocking chair, you may also try to copy/paste them from previous posts, for a time-savvy debate!Thoroughly repeat your thoughts on the issue (no real need to actually add something new to them), at least 10 times each over a thread. Over time, your opponent will become accustomed to hear your point, he'll finally get it. An advantage of this technique is that since it has already been demonstrated that your opponent has the IQ of a rocking chair, you may also try to copy/paste them from previous posts, for a time-savvy debate!Thoroughly repeat your thoughts on the issue (no real need to actually add something new to them), at least 10 times each over a thread. Over time, your opponent will become accustomed to hear your point, he'll finally get it. An advantage of this technique is that since it has already been demonstrated that your opponent has the IQ of a rocking chair, you may also try to copy/paste them from previous posts, for a time-savvy debate!

4. Facts vs Opinions.

Constantly remind the disagreeing twit how your opinions are based on facts, as opposed to his lame verbally diarrhetics attemps at making a point. In the meantime don't worry about giving him facts to prove this, since he's already destabilized by this offensive, you won't actually have to find facts to prove it. Nice isn't it? :dopey:

5. Spellcheck

Also, To effortlessly help the audience recognize that your opinion is the only valid one around, point a few spelling/grammatical mistakes made by your oppent is one of the best way to prove him wrong. You have bonus points for this if the other person's first language is not english. ppl writing liek d1s ar 0k tho becoz its k00l!.

6. Golden rule

Never forget that hey, you are right, and they are wrong. Period. 👍

7. If your opponent has you cornered, just run away!
You can beat any argument simply by not responding! The best feature of this indispensable tactic is that since your opponent is too dimwitted to see your point of view, he'll probably just forget the fact that he's just shot a bigger hole in your logic than a screened door on a submarine!

A subtle, but also effective variant on this is to concentrate on disputing irrelevant details of the supporting argument. Do this by quoting everything except the part of his argument that's giving you trouble. Home in on the minutia to distract the idiot from realizing he does indeed have you over a barrel. Then sit back as he fields every penny-ante little complaint you can come up with!

Don't forget to return to the thread weeks or even months later and remind everyone how right you were. See Rule 6.

Example: Some savage twit is trying to explain to you the Earth is round. If he cites the old "ships disappear over the horizon" hoopla, just point out that the evil corporations who control world shipping have a vested interest in enforcing their view of what shape the world is on the masses. If he cites satellite imaging, just counter it by saying satellites are a scam and a hoax, as any good conspiracy theorist can prove. Soon, he'll get so tired of trying to prove his point, that he will simply resort to Rule 1, making you the winner by default! It's just that easy!

pssssssssssssssshhhhhhhhh.....
©jpmontoya 2004​

Credits: Mike Rotch (#5) , ///M-Spec (#7)

Not bad at all. I endorse this guide, but I want to change the title to "Unofficial". I don't want anyone to get the impression the mod staff or Jordan produced this. That cool, JP?

M

///M-Spec
Not bad at all. I endorse this guide, but I want to change the title to "Unofficial". I don't want anyone to get the impression the mod staff or Jordan produced this. That cool, JP?

M
Sure :P

:lol: Very Fitting. And i'm guilty of a few i see. It was just SOOO hard not to call ex-member wellyrn an Idiot, or moron, or retard. I think i'm doing better though.

Here's my contribution...

7. If your opponent has you cornered, just run away!

You can beat any argument simply by not responding! The best feature of this indispensable tactic is that since your opponent is too dimwitted to see your point of view, he'll probably just forget the fact that he's just shot a bigger hole in your logic than a screened door on a submarine!

A subtle, but also effective variant on this is to concentrate on disputing irrelevant details of the supporting argument. Do this by quoting everything except the part of his argument that's giving you trouble. Home in on the minutia to distract the idiot from realizing he does indeed have you over a barrel. Then sit back as he fields every penny-ante little complaint you can come up with!

Don't forget to return to the thread weeks or even months later and remind everyone how right you were. See Rule 6.

Example: Some savage twit is trying to explain to you the Earth is round. If he cites the old "ships disappear over the horizon" hoopla, just point out that the evil corporations who control world shipping have a vested interest in enforcing their view of what shape the world is on the masses. If he cites satellite imaging, just counter it by saying satellites are a scam and a hoax, as any good conspiracy theorist can prove. Soon, he'll get so tired of trying to prove his point, that he will simply resort to Rule 1, making you the winner by default! It's just that easy!

M

Great contribution M!

I have to admit a certain feeling of guilt on this one. :guilty: (Should I?) Sometime you could say that it's a combination of the universal rule 6 and trying to avoid Rule 3 though. :D Depends on how you look at it. I'll do my best to avoid both situations.

:lol: Nice guide, jp. While reading it, I could just imagine a voiceover from any infomercial reading this guide in an overly-happy tone of voice. This might just have made my day.

Rule #8 – Make Stuff Up

As you begin your argument you will find that you need some sort of evidence to convince the reader you are superior and he is a dumb ****. Rather than look up any evidence just assume whatever it is that you need to assume in order to make your point work. This works every time because if you make up enough stuff, the person you’re arguing will resort to Rule #1 and then you win.

You: Americans want to take over the world
(note: it’s a good idea to lead with your conclusion)
Me: What makes you think that?
You: Bush is a dictator warmonger who wants to kill everyone who isn’t Christian.
(see, it’s just that easy. The stuff you make up doesn’t even have to have anything to do with the original point)
Me: What possible reason do you have to say that Bush is a warmonger? And what makes you think that he hates everyone who isn’t Christian?
You: Bush invaded Iraq to get their oil and he doesn’t care about how many Iraqis he kills because they’re not Christian.
(Boom, you hit him with the assumption about the Iraq invasion and then go in for the kill by making up the fact that he doesn’t care about civilian casualties. You can’t loose now)
Me: Dumb ****!

It really is just that easy. Let’s try another one.

You: The world is flat.
(Again lead with your conclusion and present no evidence)
Me: Bull**** what about the Apollo missions? What about all the satellites we have out there?
You: The moon landing was faked and we don’t actually have satellites out there.

Blamo, you just won the argument. Now I’d have try to come back and prove that the moon landing wasn’t faked and that we do have satellites out there. It’s way easier to make stuff up and have people try to prove you wrong than it is to actually try to prove your own point. Notice how in this example you didn’t have to offer one shred of evidence to support your position that the world was flat. When confronted with evidence to go against your invented conclusion all you had to do was continue inventing things. It’s really a piece of cake.

Just remember the following and you’re ready to start debating:

Making people prove your made up crap is wrong is way easier than actually providing evidence that you’re right.

Always use numbers because everyone knows numbers never lie and besides they give you a headache. Example : Look you friggin commie retard , 234,000 terrorist frenchmen are killed every year by bad blue cheese so don't tell me that it wont work on the 134,000 palestinian's who are hiding from the 34,000 Jewish army dudes with the 10,018 cheese rockets ! We have only 1326 dead goats and a camel as collateral damage in a 2.006 km area . So you know when they use the WOMD that the UN said in sanction # 236 ( who cares its a number thats all that counts ) we will still overwhelm them with our cheesyness !
Thats why we have to invade FRANCE now .
Do you see what I mean ? Admit it you got on a ship to France with your M04 didn't you ?

Rule # 10 : Get Angry

Remember, this isn't just a political debate: it's personal. See a differing opinion? More like personal attack. Civil debates are for wusses; it's either you or them. +10 if the ignore button is utilized.

Also works well with Rule #1.

Sorry, thought of another one.

Rule #12: Generalize, generalize, generalize.

Statistics are a waste of time. Why go through the trouble of "being factually right" when you can just completely generalize a whole group of people? This works especially well with political parties, religions, and entire countries. Now with our new strategy, we can invent important facts, such as all of the French (including babies) are tail-between-their-legs wimps. It is also fair to say that every single American citizen is a dimwitted, fat, warmongering slob. Just because you don't live in the country doesn't mean you don't know more about it than the people that do! Lies are completely acceptable in the political arena; a half-truth is still a truth, right?

I swear to God I'm done.

Good one, jpmontoya!

Are Rule #9 and Rule #11 are still open to interpretation?

I say, if you can't come up with a good argument, and nobody else has come to a conculsion due to name-calling, humor both sides with their own idiocy!

I thought Ledhed's was 9, but I did skip 11 for some reason. Who's a dumbass?

As a formal supplement to this guide, please refer to Stephen Downe's most excellent Guide to the Logical Fallacies. This site nicely sums up the various types of faulty reasoning as recorded by Greek philosophers long before we argued about who was President and whether Coke or Pepsi is better.

A good refresher if you, like I, spent most of highschool history debate class trying to peer down the blouse of the girl sitting next to me.

M

M,

That's a great website! I'm bookmarking it.

I like example number 3 under untestability. :)

Example 1 under conflicting conditions is a bit misleading though.

👍 Yes, it is awesome, very comprehensive, fits well in the favorites. If fines were given each time these rules are broken around here, Jordan would be rich!

I'll update the guide soon with the additional rules, thanks everyone. Some may be put as a subset of existing rules, I'm not dedided yet on this.

///M-Spec
As a formal supplement to this guide, please refer to Stephen Downe's most excellent Guide to the Logical Fallacies. This site nicely sums up the various types of faulty reasoning as recorded by Greek philosophers long before we argued about who was President and whether Coke or Pepsi is better.

A good refresher if you, like I, spent most of highschool history debate class trying to peer down the blouse of the girl sitting next to me.

M

That was in my online course. I'm in school so I have an excuse, why do you know that page Mr. Smarty Pants? :)

Ad hominem (?) runs pretty rampent in GTP. Actually, thinking about it, that fallacy runs rampent everywhere. But I like it. Calling someone names doesn't take nearly as long to do good, solid research and bring up excellent points. It also gets you "Owned" points.

///M-Spec

M

Or if you didn't have debate class at all (like me - though then I did have Latin so I learnt some basic stuff by the Romans, and I did have abstract logic languages in University, same in linguistics, and of course we still had debates).

Anyway, I think I found a mistake in the guide:

"Post Hoc: because one thing follows another, it is held to cause the other."

This should read "because one thing preceeds another, it is held to cause the other." In these cases where it can refer to two things from the previous sentence, in a 'because' clause the (active) subject is usually considered to be referenced too, rather than the (passive) object. To avoid confusion, it is always better in these cases to be more specific. This is not a problem in the language this is translated from (Latin/Greek) thanks to casing, so I guess that's where the error comes from.

Another indication that 'preceeds' is meant is the last line in that section. If you'd have read 'it' to refer to another above, it would have meant exactly the same as this:

"Wrong Direction: the direction between cause and effect is reversed"

Funnily enough the guide itself mentions the above problem as one of the three Fallacies of Ambiguity :lol:

Goomba
That was in my online course. I'm in school so I have an excuse, why do you know that page Mr. Smarty Pants? :)

Ad hominem (?) runs pretty rampent in GTP. Actually, thinking about it, that fallacy runs rampent everywhere. But I like it. Calling someone names doesn't take nearly as long to do good, solid research and bring up excellent points. It also gets you "Owned" points.

I don't remember. I think I found it in a Google search a few years ago when I was looking for a handy reference because I did study this stuff in college but needed a refresher. I was probably trying to get "Owned" points. ;)

Arwin
Anyway, I think I found a mistake in the guide:

Hmm.. you maybe right, the summary is worded in a confusing way. A simpler way to explain it would be to say, "Because event B follows event A, B is assumed to cause A."

Maybe you should drop him an email.

M

Back