Building a BTCC car

• Thread starter gregc
  • 35 comments
gregc22
I posted a race report for this car a few days ago, but just realised (reminded by Surokias "making a Ferrari" thread) that I haven't posted the setup. So, for those who might be interested....

The British Touring Car Championship is, for me, one of the most entertaining racing series there is. The cars could be thought of as a step below the DTM-type vehicles, they are production models modified within a pretty tight set of rules - a summary can be found here. In a nutshell we're talking 2000cc, 270bhp max, 1150 kg minimum weight for fwd, at least a 4 seater, and more than 4.1m long. Turbo/Super chargers are banned.

The number of cars that fit within these limits in GT4 is pretty small. I settled on the Honda Civic Type-R, which as a bonus competed in last years championship and a couple of examples can be seen this year too. So it's a "real" BTCC entrant :)

Taking the base car, after an oil change, the changes to bring it up to BTCC spec are as follows:

R2 tyres - 10,000Cr (my best guess at what are used in the real thing)
Wing - 1,200Cr
Wheels - 500Cr (not necessary really, but they look cool ;) )
Stage 1 Weight Reduction - 1000Cr (ballasted back up to 1150kg)
Rollcage - 30,000Cr (mandatory for the BTCC)
Racing Exhaust - 4,500Cr
Racing Chip - 1,000Cr
Port Polish - 5,000Cr
Engine Balancing - 10,000Cr
Racing Brakes - 4,500Cr
Semi-Racing Suspension - 7,000Cr
Fully Customised Gearbox - 10,000Cr (BTCC gearbox rules are complicated, I think this is closest)
Triple Clutch - 4,500Cr
Semi-Racing Flywheel - 500Cr

After this little lot, I'm getting 262bhp and 179lbft of torque. All I've done tuning wise is to drop the ride height as far as it will go (BTCC minimum is 80mm, the SR kit only allows me to go down to 100-ish, from memory), and set the downforce to 25 on the assumption that it's measured in kilo's (25kg is the maximum allowed).

Here she is...

civic.jpg

And the result - I'm delighted with it. It feels and sounds about right for what I see on track in real life, although obviously I'll never get a chance to try one for real (if Plato/Neal/Chilton etc would like to make an offer, I wouldn't say no ;) ). It's certainly the nicest FF I've driven in GT4. Next job - an IS300, another car from last years championship :)

If you try this setup out, it would be great if you could let me know how you get on with it, and any improvements I could make - within the rules of course :)

I did a similar thing a while back with the Integra Type-R, I will have to dig out some settings for that one and a few pictures as well.

Dont forget that we already have the Integra Type-R Touring car.

img00167ba.jpg

Its a little too powerful (@310bhp) but it does look the part.

Regards

Scaff

I'd be interested to see your Integra settings - and any recommendations you've got on the Civic too. I remember seeing that pic of the Integra in the Thread That Shall Not Be Named - it's part of what inspired me to build this car in the first place, so thanks :)

The Lexus Touring car also falls just short of qualifying for having too much power, it is a bit of a beast though. I love this level of racer - the cars are so balanced, the power is just right for the chassis - it just works.

An aside - are you likely to be at Thruxton for this years race Scaff? If you are it'd be cool to meet up for a burger/hotdog/other overpriced foodstuff :)

[Edit] - a question I forgot to ask... did you put a new wing on the Integra? The standard Integra Type-R has a crappy cosmetic wing on it, It'd be good to know if it can be replaced with a "proper" one.

OK draged out my Integra and re-fitted to meet the above.

Power - 271 bhp (1 over I know)
Weight = 1064 + 86 ballast = 1150

Weight Reduction 2 + 86 ballast
R1 Tyres
FC gearbox
Triple Clutch
Racing Flywheel
1 way LSD
Semi-race exhaust
Brake Balance Controller
Racing Brakes
Racing Chip
Engine Balance
Port Polish
Oil Change
Big fat wing

I've gone for R1 tyres (which I beleive would be closer - but hey its personal), a 1-way LSd (which IIRC the regs do allow) and full racing suspension (which certainly is allowed).

Settings are as follows

Spring Rates 7.4 / 11.0
Ride Height 86 / 91
Bound 4 / 5
Rebound 5 / 6
Camber 3 / 1.2
Toe 0 / +2
Stab. 1 / 5

Ballast +86 (to bring the weight up to the 1150)

BBC 5 / 3

Downforce 25 / 16

Gbox - Left at default for Grand Valley Speedway (test location)

img00335ab.jpg

These were put together quickly and I would imagine have room for improvement (but I always think that), let me know what you think.

Regards

Scaff

Good stuff - thanks :D

I'll give it a go tomorrow if that's OK, I've had a drink or 2 and can't drive for toffee at the moment ;) Those settings look pretty good though, it should be a fun ride :)

I´m surprised everyone keeps forgetting/ignoring the BMW 320i Touring car in GT4, whom is actually homologated to the S2000 setup.
Here´s a pic:

I checked for car eligable according to S2000, and found very few under the 2000cc limit, but here is a few:
Peugeot 206 RC
Ford Focus RS
Renault Megane
Seat Ibiza
These I assume are too short though (didn´t check), but if the Civic got through, maybe these can too. Infact, the Pug and the Ford has or had sessions in the WTCC.

Ive also done a civic type R, but i think my civic is over powered and under the weight restrictions, I will get a new car and see what i can come up with.

Team666
I´m surprised everyone keeps forgetting/ignoring the BMW 320i Touring car in GT4, whom is actually homologated to the S2000 setup.
Here´s a pic:

I checked for car eligable according to S2000, and found very few under the 2000cc limit, but here is a few:
Peugeot 206 RC
Ford Focus RS
Renault Megane
Seat Ibiza
These I assume are too short though (didn´t check), but if the Civic got through, maybe these can too. Infact, the Pug and the Ford has or had sessions in the WTCC.

I did have a look at the BMW, but it's too powerful for the BTCC spec - plus it was more fun (and cheaper!) to build my own ;)

The list of other eligible cars that I found, if anyone wants to make another one, is:

Alfa Romeo 147 2.0 TS
Acura RS-X TypeS
Honda Integra Type R
Nissan Primera 20v
Ford Focus ST170 and RS
Lexus IS200
Peugeot 307XSi
Renault Megane 2.0 16v

From memory, the Seat and the 206 were too short. I've had a quick go at the Lexus and that's quite fun, the Primera might be a laugh to do as well :lol:

Edit - as said below, I was wrong about the BMW not being eligible. The car list should be about right though, pending corrections/additions :)

gregc
I did have a look at the BMW, but it's too powerful for the BTCC spec - plus it was more fun (and cheaper!) to build my own ;)

The list of other eligible cars that I found, if anyone wants to make another one, is:

Alfa Romeo 147 2.0 TS
Acura RS-X TypeS
Honda Integra Type R
Nissan Primera 20v
Ford Focus ST170 and RS
Lexus IS200
Peugeot 307XSi
Renault Megane 2.0 16v

From memory, the Seat and the 206 were too short. I've had a quick go at the Lexus and that's quite fun, the Primera might be a laugh to do as well :lol:

The Beemer too powerful?? Doesn´t BTCC run the same spec (S2000) as WTCC? And to be picky, the BMW is an ETCC car, and ETCC also ran the S2000 specs IIRC.
I think the Beemer has 274 bhp after an oilchange, so I can´t really belive that it is too powerful. It only weighs in at 1140 kg though, but according to S2000 a FF car can weigh 1110 kg and a FR car 1140 kg. Exceptions are cars with sequential gearboxes, whom has to add an extra 30 kg.

Team666
I think the Beemer has 274 bhp after an oilchange, so I can´t really belive that it is too powerful.
My mistake in that case :embarrassed: - when I looked at it in the dealer I thought I remembered seeing 300+ bhp listed, and disregarded it.

Confusingly enough, the BTCC runs to both they're own regs and the S2000 rules, teams can choose to run under one set of rules or the other - this changes as of next season, when they will adopt the S2000 rules only.

gregc
Confusingly enough, the BTCC runs to both they're own regs and the S2000 rules, teams can choose to run under one set of rules or the other - this changes as of next season, when they will adopt the S2000 rules only.
Aha! Now that you mension it, I think STCC (Swedish Touring Car Championship) does the same thing! But I don´t know if they will adapt to only run the S2000.

EDIT: I checked, and STCC has homologated to S2000 as of 2006 season!

Just for the sake of clarity, and to confirm that my comment on the M3 Touring Car was indeed an error of large dick proportions :ouch:

The 320i comes stock with 257bhp, well within the limit. Over the next couple of days I'll run it against my Civic and IS200 as well as making sure it falls within the other regulations. Results to follow...

@ Team666 - thanks for getting me to recheck this, I would have missed out otherwise 👍

R390GT1
Hey guys -

If the IS300 fits in(I think it does) Does anyone have the settings for it. I can't find it:grumpy: :grumpy:

The IS300 would not fit the criteria, the engines too big. 2000cc is the limit.

Regards

Scaff

BTW was having a play around last night on an 'old school' model, which I should have ready to post tonight, a Primera 2.0Te (GT in the UK) running to the old Super Touring specs from the '90s.

OK here we go, first the differences for the Super Touring specification cars.

These regs ran between approx 1990 - 1998.

Series production car (25,000 units), min 4.2m length, 2ltr NA engine (max 6 cylinders), min weight 975kgs (FWD) or 1025kgs (RWD), approx 300bhp (the actual limit was on the crank rpm), and wings could be used with a max size that does appear to be OK for GT4's wings. Oh and mandatory roll cage.

So heres the Primera 2.0Te

primera8sn.jpg

Oil Change
Wing
Chassis Refresh
Rigidity
Weight Reduction 3
R1 Tyres
FC Gearbox
Triple Clutch
Race Flywheel
1 way LSD
FC Suspension
Race Exhaust
Race Brakes
Brake Balance Controller
Chip
Engine Balance
Port Polish
NA Tune Stage 3

289bhp @ 6,400rpm
246 ft.lbs @ 4,800rpm
1064kgs

Spring Rate 7.5 / 8
Ride Height 89 / 95
Bound 4 / 5
Rebound 6 / 7
Camber 3.0 / 1.4
Toe 0 / +2
Stab 1 / 4

Downforce 30 / 20

BBC 10 / 5

Tuned at the Grand Valley Speedway.

The car turns very, very well and is easyto adjust on the throttle, just watch for traction issues through the front tyres in lower gears.

415_07.jpg

Regards

Scaff

I'm also a fan of touring cars, especially the BTCC and was glad to have came across this thread. 👍

Anyway i'm thinking of modifying the honda accord euro-r to s2000 specs. There is an accord running in the wtcc and you can find out about the specs on the website http://www.fiawtcc.com :)

nice setups guys.......this really sounds interesting. looking forward to more setups. why are the ibiza and the 206 too short? what do you mean with short?

viper

viperpilot
why are the ibiza and the 206 too short? what do you mean with short?
The length of the car. There are minimum length regulations. Anything shorter is not allowed in.

Scaff
Series production car (25,000 units), min 4.2m length, 2ltr NA engine (max 6 cylinders), min weight 975kgs (FWD) or 1025kgs (RWD), approx 300bhp (the actual limit was on the crank rpm), and wings could be used

I've been keeping an eye on this this thread since it started, but never really had anything to post. It's very interesting, for me especially as I love the BTCC. Scaff's Super Touring-class Primera in particular takes my eye, and I'll print off its spec sheet and try it out - sounds like it'd be great fun! I'll let you know if it lives up to my expectations :)

DE

i would really see the ibiza in the BTCC-trim, but as mentioned before it's too short.....but i really would like to see the Opel Vectra V6 with a decent setup!

viper

As far as I know, the new-shape Vectra (well, I saw new-shape, I refer to the one in GT4, as there's a new model now) was never used in the BTCC, it got a bit too big and heavy by then. Vauxhall Astras were used instead, very successfully, but we're not treated to those in GT4 either... Shame. :indiff:

DE

Cool - I've just got back from the BTCC races at Thruxton, and find that my little thread has popped back up :)

I've done rough setups for most of the other eligible cars, and also done a little bit of comparison work with the 320i Touring Car that's in the game. If anyone's interested I'll post some of the other setups over the next couple of days (too tired and sunburned to do it now ;) )

Also looking forward to trying Scaff's Primera :)

gregc, have you thought about doing the Honda Accord euro-r to s2000 regs? I know its not a btcc car and is in the wtcc but there arent many cars you can really do on this game to s2000 specifications :indiff:

viperpilot
sounds cool gregc, please post your settings and all the other stuff! so there is no chance for a BTCC-Vectra-Setup??

viper
'Fraid not, the only Vectra I've come across so far is the 3.2V6, which has about1200cc too many ;) Unless there's a 2.0 one in the used car lots somewhere of course - I'll check the list.
Tom_IW_Racer
gregc, have you thought about doing the Honda Accord euro-r to s2000 regs? I know its not a btcc car and is in the wtcc but there arent many cars you can really do on this game to s2000 specifications :indiff:
I'd missed that one - cheers 👍 I'll add it to the list.

OK, next BTCC car I've got is the Honda Integra Type R. As with the Civic, it runs in the current championship - and it's right up there at the sharp end of the field, winning 2 of this weekends 3 races with 1st and 2nd places - while carrying success ballast!

No pics at the moment I'm afraid - left my USB drive at work today :dopey:

The mods:

Weight Reduction Stage 1, then ballasted to 1150kg
Rollcage
Engine Balancing
Racing Exhaust
Racing Chip
R2's
Racing Brakes
Brake Balance Controller
Racing Suspension
Fully Customisable Transmission
Triple Clutch
Semi Racing Flywheel
Downforce 25/25
Fully Customisable LSD

262bhp and 177lbft of torque - changed the oil too, of course.

You'll may notice I've modified the spec a bit - included the Brake Controller as Scaff did, after also hearing it mentioned on TV coverage a few weeks ago, and also added the Full LSD. Scaff added the one-way, but when I looked at the BMW 320 Touring Car in the game it had the full one. Of course the BMW is an S2000 spec car and we're doing BTCC, but I figured what the hell - I'll probably stick a 1-way in there at some point just out of interest.

Apart from dropping the ride height and setting the downforce, I've left the all the settings at the default. Once I've gone back and re-read Scaff's tuning guide I'll start playing with settings on all the cars, but I'm pretty useless at fine tuning at the moment :guilty:

I did this without much reference to Scaff's mods on his Integra - I was curious to see whether the choices we made would be similar or not. I still haven't gone back to compare notes yet, so I don't know the outcome yet...

Onto the driving experience then. I took it to Tsukuba for the sake of consistency (that's where I've run the Civic the most), and also because I've spent a fair bit of time there lately. Strangely, initially I struggled to get to grips with it at all - I'd felt comfortable with the Civic almost straight off but this was a real struggle. I was getting low to mid 1:02's where I'd been a second quicker in the Civic.

Revisiting it a few days later was a different story, guess I must have been having an off day - into the mid 1:01's on a pretty consistent basis with a best of 1:01.308 and plenty of laps within a tenth - I was enjoying it so much, in fact, that 50 laps in free run mode went by :crazy:

So there you go - the BTCC spec Integra. After some initial doubts, I like it a lot. Watch this space for the next car to get the treatment - and I fancy a change from Honda, so I think we'll go for something not currently in the BTCC. Ford Focus? Alfa 147? Renault Megane even - decisions, decisions...

PS - any times I quote in these posts should not be taken as a challenge! It's just what I (an average driver at best) get out of these cars, and is only to give a comparison between the cars :)

Nice review, gregc 👍

I found a nice page with all the 2005 regulations for the BTCC, and below them the more specific FIA Super2000 regulations. Scroll down after the points system and safety car information, and there it all is. Click here.

DE

S2000 never made it to Australia, but Super Touring was quite popular in the '90s. I myself am a huge fan of Super Touring and have been a Nissan fan since childhood, so I will defintely have a go at building Scaff's Primera. I think i've got an old rule book at home with the regs for Super Touring, I will have a look and post up what i find.

Edited to add
OK, I just noticed that Scaff has already summed up the Super Touring regs as follows:-

Series production car (25,000 units), min 4.2m length, 2ltr NA engine (max 6 cylinders), min weight 975kgs (FWD) or 1025kgs (RWD), approx 300bhp (the actual limit was on the crank rpm), and wings could be used with a max size that does appear to be OK for GT4's wings. Oh and mandatory roll cage.

I'll just add that the body was all steel, so I think we must stick to Stage 1 weight reduction. Maximum number of forward gears was 6 and sequential shifters were allowed. Also, race suspension, race brakes and fully customisable transmission are all fine.

The following is a list of all the models I can think of that were homologated for Super Touring, I don't know how many of these are available in GT4.

Nissan Primera 2.0
Toyota Carina
Honda Civic EG (sedan)
Honda Accord
Hyundai Elantra
Vauxhall Cavalier
Ford Mondeo
Volvo 850 (sedan & estate)
Volvo S40
BMW E36 320i
Mercedes 190e
Audi A80 Quattro