Best French Car (Final Voting for Italian Cars)

• Thread starter YSSMAN
  • 66 comments

Final Voting for "Best Italian Car"

• Ferrari F40

Votes: 18 38.3%
  • Lamborghini Miura

Votes: 18 38.3%
  • Pagani Zonda

Votes: 11 23.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

YSSMAN

Super-Cool Since 2013
Premium
United States
GR-MI-USA
YSSMAN
YSSMAN
Okay kids, I think we know how this works.

FIRST OF ALL, PLEASE VOTE FOR THE TOP THREE ITALIAN CARS

Yes, note I said "top three." Voting in the previous round was so close that it had to be narrowed to three, so yeah.

YOU HAVE THREE DAYS TO VOTE AND NOMINATE BEFORE WE MOVE ON

So yes, the French automobile lineup. It is a strange mix of cars that aren't particularly well known around the world, a type of car that hasn't been sold in the United States since the early 1990s.

So where to go? What to choose?

(Yes, BTW, the Bugatti line is included here)

I must say I have to choose the Citroen DS.

Greends.jpg

Simply put, it is an engineering marvel, considering that it's design first debuted in 1955. The shape of the car is straight out of Flash Gordon, and still seems futuristic to this day. Only it's predecessor, the C6 looks any better, but that is a different story.

The car simply intoduced so much to the industry at the time. The DS was the first car to recieve disc brakes, something that wasn't placed on every car untill the 1980s. The DS also had an early DSG or SMG type of hydraulic transmission, something that has only caught on up untill now. Then there was the amazing hydraulic suspension on the car, that turned even the most rough roads into something as placcid as well, Lake Placcid. The height of the suspension could even be adjusted, and there are only a few vehicles that can even do that today.

Simply put, the car was ahead of it's time, and still has an impact on the cars we all drive today. Quite frankly I can't think of a better French car, as this is what defines French automobiles for me...

Do I even have to say it? EB110.
EB110_up.jpg

The reason that the Veyron had to be so great. 3.5L, quad turbocharged V12 with 561-611 BHP. Nimble chassis. High speed.

Dcp_0740a.jpg

No text required. Just look at it, and celebrate its gorgeousnessossity.

I'm going to have to go with the DS on this one, yes the 406 coupe is one of the nicest looking 4 seaters ever made but the DS was more significant.

I voted for the F40 because I am Ferrari fanboy and I still have a poster of rolled up in storage somewhere. Someday I am going to have a game room and frame up all these old car posters I have.

Well since no one has done it yet I will nominate the Bugatti Veyron. I do believe it's the most fantastic car every produced. It's the supercar of supercars and it defines super car. Unbelivable performance, over the top looks, and a rediculous price tag. It also revives the great Bugatti name.

Do I really need to post a picture or stats? I think we are all familiar with it.

Ya know, I was going to nominate the Veyron, but it just seemed too easy. I mean it isn't that it is a great car, but I think its the fact that we haven't seen what the effects of the car are going to be on the industry. Granted of course, the Bugatti raised the standards for every ultra-car from now untill forever, but it still hasn't captured the imagination of kids and adults around the world.

...Best car ever? Give it time, and I think it would be reasonable to say so. But I would agree with Clarkson in the FACT that the car is Epic, and we may never see anything like it ever again...

I'm voting for the Miura again and the Peugeot 205 GTi for the French car. Relatively cheap, very quick (for its time), great handling.

YSSMAN
Ya know, I was going to nominate the Veyron, but it just seemed too easy. I mean it isn't that it is a great car, but I think its the fact that we haven't seen what the effects of the car are going to be on the industry. Granted of course, the Bugatti raised the standards for every ultra-car from now untill forever, but it still hasn't captured the imagination of kids and adults around the world.

...Best car ever? Give it time, and I think it would be reasonable to say so. But I would agree with Clarkson in the FACT that the car is Epic, and we may never see anything like it ever again...

Not so much "...Best car ever?" as "... French?"

Well, I'm going by country of origin here. Since the Bugatti name was founded in France, it is a French car despite the fact it is currently owned and operated by their German overlords.

...Hence the reasons why Bentley and Rolls-Royce were used in the British car thread, and not the German one...

IMADreamer
Well since no one has done it yet I will nominate the Bugatti Veyron. I do believe it's the most fantastic car every produced. It's the supercar of supercars and it defines super car. Unbelivable performance, over the top looks, and a rediculous price tag. It also revives the great Bugatti name.

I second this nomination and will begin yelling at anyone who says anything bad about the vehicle.

VEYRON FOREVER!!!!

There's a Clio on my driveway. It doesn't even get the prize of being the best French car on my driveway.

YSSMAN

I agree it is the easy choice, but it still has to be nominated. As you and Clarkson said, it's epic. It may be the supercar to end all supercars. As for the impact on the industry, well I don't know. I can only imagine it will be profound. The whole car world was stirring before the car even went to design. Once it was mentioned a 1000hp 250mph monster was going to be built the car world was buzzing. Everyone speculated whether they would do it or not and then they did it and it shocked the world.

M5Power
I second this nomination and will begin yelling at anyone who says anything bad about the vehicle.

VEYRON FOREVER!!!!

The only thing anyone could say bad about it would maybe be the styling. That's the deal with supercars, some will love the looks some will hate them. Whether you like the looks or not the rest of the car is near perfect.

I second the DS nomination.

Richard Hammond explained this car the best back in I think season 2 of Top Gear.

Where are the LeCar noms? Anyone?

...I would second the Clio nom if I hadn't allready nominated the DS. Of course, there is also the C4 and C6, but they can wait as well...

BTW: Have any of the Europeans driven the C4 with what I like to call "the crazy wheel?"

I really, really want to vote for the Facel Vega HK500 for being the most stylish car ever, plus it was Hemi engined :sly:

(This isn't a great picture of it)

But i'll have to vote for the Citroen DS which was a highly inovative machine (although i'm no fan of it actually)

My vote is really a tactical vote to stop that bloated Italian/German monstrosity from winning 👎

TheCracker
My vote is really a tactical vote to stop that bloated Italian/German monstrosity from winning 👎

THE ONLY MONSTROSITY IN THIS THREAD IS WHOEVER DELETED THAT TROLL'S POSTS!!! I will blame Famine until I find out differently.

Veyron:
- 1000 horsepower
- Four turbochargers
- 0-60 in 2.5 seconds
- 253mph top speed

Even Gordon Murray conceded the vehicle has fantastic brakes and is dynamically very capable on the track. And we all know it's an acceleration phenomenon. By the way this poll is shaping up brilliantly; it's going to be a total tossup.

so many good choices here, and the winner already nominated. the DS was and still is an amazing machine.

venturi atlantique, nominated
duex chavuex
traction avant
the 205GTi of course, already nominated

and the wild card, the car that kept africa going long after the colonialists left
the peugeot 504

Famine

M5Power - not guilty.

Regardless, I'm blaming you.

By the way, here's my (unsolicited) contention on the Zonda: in twenty years we're still going to look back at the F40 and Miura as freaking iconic, whereas I think time will not be so forgiving to the Zonda. It's quite special now, but really even today it's just one in a sea of many, the difference being that it's one that's got the forumula down on its first try: speed, looks - everything. In years to come, Pagani will replace the Zonda with bigger and better things, leaving the present model in its dust, as it's never been the gold standard that the F40 was, nor is it the revolutionary vehicle that the Miura was. I liken the Zonda to the Lamborghini Countach: spectacular, but replaceable.

Back