Best French Car (Final Voting for Italian Cars)

• Thread starter YSSMAN
  • 66 comments

Final Voting for "Best Italian Car"

• Ferrari F40

Votes: 18 38.3%
  • Lamborghini Miura

Votes: 18 38.3%
  • Pagani Zonda

Votes: 11 23.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
It's not fast, it's not luxurius, it's not particulary ground breaking.... But it's hilarious watching them race.

The Citroen 2CV.
Greatest design brief ever...
The Citroen 2CV must ..."be able to drive across a ploughed field without breaking the eggs it was carrying."

Annnddddddddddddd, if you reverse it at speed then turn hard it will roll over!

Yeah! Field Day!

Too many nomination ideas, so I've narrowed it down.

Espace F1.
A Formula One engine in an MPV?

WTF??!?!!?!?
espacef103.jpg

The C6- The best large Citroen in years, and looks like nothing else on Gods green earth.
citroen-c6-01cbig.jpg

Venturi 400GT- Amazing looking machine, powered by a manic bi-turbo V6.
autowp.ru_venturi_400gt_1.jpg

Renault Megane- I'd nominate this no matter what the nomination criteria were.
rs062fm.jpg

Renault Clio MK. III-More mature than predecessor, and pleasing on the eye. :)
New%20Clio%204.gif

Renault Clio Williams- Sublime handling, looks cool, GOLD ALLOYS!
94-renault-clio-williams.jpg

Peugeot 607- Surely so appallingly bad that it has to be good. No...?

607_1.jpg

Renault Espace- First real MPV (in Europe, anyway) always had reasonable style, and cavernous.
espace_4g.jpg

Citroen 2CV (Deux Cheval)- Alledgedly designed to whick French farmers across ploughed field without breaking any eggs, and a small car that got the country motoring (Fiat 500 and Mini eat your heart out)
Citroen-2CV--90.jpg

M5Power
I liken the Zonda to the Lamborghini Countach: spectacular, but replaceable.
I can see your point that the Zonda is not iconic like the F40, and may just eventually fade away like so many others, but how can say the Countach is just another "replaceable" supercar? It was just as iconic, if not more. It was "the" Lambo of an entire decade, and was still popular after it ceased production in 1990. It's still one of the most recognized of any of Lamboghini's cars, next to maybe the Diablo. The only cars they've made I would consider "replaceable" are the Gallardo and Murcielago.

Famine
The Renault 5 isn't even the best French car called "Renault 5".

I really had no idea it's offical name was "Renault 5." I just remember a guy living down the street from me restoring a Le Car and me laughing every time I drove by. Yeah, in the US they were sold as AMC/Renaults, and we all know how that deal worked out...

After that collapse, it left only Peugeot in the US, and they were gone by 1991 or 1992.

3-Wheel Drive
I can see your point that the Zonda is not iconic like the F40, and may just eventually fade away like so many others, but how can say the Countach is just another "replaceable" supercar?

I think it was among the best supercars of its era, but Lamborghini followed it up quite brilliantly, with the Diablo, and has followed that up well, with the Murcielago. Consequently, the Countach has managed to fade away a bit, and I wouldn't be surprised if the same eventually happens to the Zonda. Obviously everyone still likes the Countach just as they will continue to like the Zonda - but the Countach no longer strikes fear in the hearts of humanity, and one day, nor will the Zonda.

YSSMAN
After that collapse, it left only Peugeot in the US, and they were gone by 1991 or 1992.

1991 - and a sad year it was. Peugeot's last product in the US was a lovely little sedan called the 405, sold alongside the 505 for that final depressing model year. Then Alfa pulled out in 1995. Neither manufacturer has been back since.

I meant just the Peugeot lineup.

The 406 was lovely, but the 106/107/1007/206/306/307/607/806/807 were all much of a muchness really.

And hatchbacks don't tend to sell as well as saloons/sedans/them-thar longer wuns.

Come on. The 106 Rallye and 306 GTi-6 alone are well worth the rest of the dreary Pugs (including the 406 that I drive).

Yeah, but brilliant as they were, I'm not sure they were enough to pick up the outlook of the dreary lineup.

The 407, however=👍

M5Power
Miura vs. F40: the poll!

I'm going to wait on it for a few hours. Let a few people chime in, particularly the Europeans, and then see whats to happen later today (say before 2:30 PM EST)...

I never planed for a tie, so I'm open to suggestions here.

You'd have to do a runoff. I'm barely resisting the temptation to use one of my other usernames and knock the F40 over the line. :P

What The **** Is This?! Some Assface Voted Twice For The Miura! Famine! I See You!!!

(that post was in all caps. Clearly GTP is too smart for me. This is just upsetting. I declare cheating and am now posting in protest)

ultrabeat
Yeah, but brilliant as they were, I'm not sure they were enough to pick up the outlook of the dreary lineup.

The 407, however=👍

Not sure I would agree on that, 406 Coupe was (and still is) a fantastic looking car. The standard 406 I've always thought aged very quickly, certainly it looks very old now.

The 407 just looks like its got Jade Goody's mouth from the front end.

1140286659Jade%20Goody.jpg

peugeot-407-01.jpg

See twins.

Now as far as best French car nominations (and I know I'm late on this one, mine would have to go with.

Citroen DS
Set a technological benchmark not just for French cars but for the entire motor industry. Arguably one of the single most important cars ever.

Citroen 2CV
As has already been mentioned, the car that got theFrench people into cars, in a similar vein to the Mini and Fiat 500. Does loose points for its appeal to geography teachers.

Renault Clio Williams
The Golf GTi may have been the first hot hatch, but for my money the finest one from the '80s was the Williams. The 205GTI 1.9 does run it a close second, but the Williams was just the better car in terms of sheer adjustablity on the limit. While the ultimate level of grip was very similar on both, the Williams would talk to you allowing you to use its adjustablity at moments when the 205 would simply sulk and throw you off the road backwards. I'm quite happy to say that I have driven both of these cars and they easily disprove the myth that FWD cars can't be drivers cars.

Renaultsport Clio Trophy
And I do mean this very specific model. One of the last of the Renaultsport Clio's the fitment of track spec dampers to the car along with minor adjustments to the suspension make this quite simply the finest example of the Hot Hatch ever. If Hot Hatches are what the French do best (and a lot of people say it is) and this is the best of the Hot Hatches then that makes it the best French car.

Regards

Scaff

M5Power
What The **** Is This?! Some Assface Voted Twice For The Miura! Famine! I See You!!!

I'm a supermoderator. I have no need for voting - I can go in and manually change the votes if I wanted to.

I guess ya all have an hour left to vote. I don't know why I thought 18 mins last night...

Goes to show what a hard days work + not much sleep + beer = weird statements from me...

Okay, some more.

Citroen XM
Citroen Xantia
Citroen Saxo
Homell Berlinetta
Alpine A130

The 405 was a pretty good car for a repmobile. Had a rather entertaining tendency towards snap oversteer at very high speeds (> 90mph), and (implausably for a front-driver) whilst on full throttle.

505 GTi was excellent for being really quick, and really great to drive, for a low-budget 7-seater.

The best thing about the 607 is the depreciation.

The best French car ever is getting built some time soon.

Gee, I hope I'm not going to regret that comment in a year!!!

Anyway, I'll be voting for the DS.

Back